• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Red over the water

If Mignolet wanted first team football badly enough, he’d make that clear and we’d let him go. The timing wasn’t right last summer, but if he still wanted to leave now I’m sure we’d let him. A lot has changed from last summer to this. Alisson is the clear number one, and Mingo has a back up role in an elite team that is now starting to win trophies. He’s well paid and he has a part to play in the overall group. He has revised his expectations and seems happier for it.

No complaints here.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
It could be that Mignolet is settled in Liverpool?
I don’t know if he has a young family but that could be a factor.
Or it could be that the only teams to have shown an interest are not appealing.

D Fred

Que?

Kahn didn't retire at 30. He won 6 out of his 8 Bundesliga titles after he turned 30, won his only champions league medal at the age of 31, was voted best keeper in the Bundesliga 4 times (3 of which were after he had turned 30), represented germany in the WC Final aged 33 and was still first choice at the next WC aged 37.

If that's symptomatic of a player falling off a cliff after turning 30 I have to wonder what your definition of a player's performance is!
Got my dates & times mixed up, consider me chastened & this decade stealing, wholly inaccurate statement retracted!

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Thing is everyone is different. Cudicini was happy playing about 7 games in 3 years for Chelsk and Spurs (maybe even worse) and has now ended up in Chelsea's back room and probably got paid very well and even managed a jaunt to LA in the middle of it.

I always thought if i'd been lucky enough to make it as a Premier league footballer, i'd want to drop down the leagues and play for Lancaster or Southport or something like that, but honestly if I were in the current Liverpool team, I wouldn't willingly walk away from Klopp, even if it meant never playing.

Last edited:

rab

Doesn't matter got paid.

Would you move from a great company for a job with a better title but no more money? Maybe less money even. Doesn't sound so great, does it?
If they brought someone in above me for the second time in two years, stopped my development and made it clear I'd hit a ceiling I wasn't going to surpass there then maybe.

But it's not really a fair comparison. Only one of us is getting paid millions and would be comfortable off enough to retire before we're 30.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Ms Reddy has spoken. No 'blockbuster' signings in the offing. We still want a left back, having been 'trumped' by Bournemouth for Lloyd Kelly. New contract offers for VVD, Milner, Matip, Ox and Divock (who won't be sold if he says no). There have been no offers for Lovren. Clyne's leaving. Mignolet staying. Lallana is working on getting back to 'peak physical state'. He'll be like a new signing next season.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
So no Reina then

Reina, Brandt, De Ligt and Lloyd Jones. I am totally smashing the Everton Cup. Can’t wait to see where Neres ends up.
Correct me if I'm wrong, though, but it wasn't intended as a prediction thread, just an exercise in what you would do in Edwards' shoes?

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
It becomes a subjective argument when you say was player X better at 25 or 32.

However if you accept the basic premise that on average keepers in the PL will be at their prime (in some kind of normal distribution). The median age is 30.

Artur Boruc 39
Petr Cech 37
Ben Foster 36
Lukasz Fabianski 34
Tom Heaton 33
Hugo Lloris 32
Joe Hart 32
Vicente Guaita 32
Asmir Begovic 32
Kasper Schmeichel 32
Wayne Hennessey 32
Rui Patrício 31
Jonas Lössl 30
Martin Dubravka 30
Neil Etheridge 29
Alex McCarthy 29
David de Gea 28
Bernd Leno 27
Mat Ryan 27
Alisson 26
Jordan Pickford 25
Sergio Rico 25
Ederson 25
Kepa Arrizabalaga 24
Angus Gunn 23

Seeing that list makes me appreciate Allison a bit more, if that's possible.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Ms Reddy has spoken. No 'blockbuster' signings in the offing. We still want a left back, having been 'trumped' by Bournemouth for Lloyd Kelly. New contract offers for VVD, Milner, Matip, Ox and Divock (who won't be sold if he says no). There have been no offers for Lovren. Clyne's leaving. Mignolet staying. Lallana is working on getting back to 'peak physical state'. He'll be like a new signing next season.

"...that allows them to strike if another "transformer" -- the word used at Melwood to describe Van Dijk and Alisson -- is within reach in the future.....

...The club are equipped to act should opportunities arise that blend into their long-term picture..."

If only there was a talented, young, versatile, forward or two likely to be available this summer.

wibseyred

Since Klopp arrived the notion that the press have any clue what's going on has well and truly been blown out the water. So they are now left with throwing bites out hoping to catch gullible fans with Mystic Meg nonsense.

Red over the water

Reddy’s article makes sense. I like the word “transformer” too. Keep our powder dry unless a real top option becomes available. It’s not glamorous if you are hungry for transfer business and a bit bored in the summer, but it is preferable to spending a lot of money on middling options that don’t really improve us much at all.

Limiescouse

True, and I'd be happy doing that for £60k a year, it's all based on what you're accustomed to.

I just think you might look back in a few years time and think was it that fulfilling working my way up to the top only to be happy to spend 3/4 years not actually playing but picking up medals as supporting cast.

Let's not forget, Klopp has twice replaced him with other keepers so can't have that much faith in his ability.
You know what isn't fulfilling? Playing for a mediocre team for a manager you don't like in a boring city. It is still work, and shit work is shit work.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Mignolet's already played for a lower league team in Sunderland.

He is only an injury or suspension away from potentially playing in big CL games or other big fixtures. It's quite easy to see why a 31 year old would rather stick around in a place he's so comfortable in, especially one who has a great boss and apparently gets on with his colleagues so well.

It's probably not the end to a career he dreamed of as a kid, but it's not too bad either.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Could read that as a positive or a negative.

He's apparently on £60k a week and hasn't exactly been inundated with other suitors since Alisson came in. I'd wager no one else is willing to pay him that and we're not keen on subsidising it and therefore will hold onto him. He gets his money and an easy life, we don't have to go shopping this summer so works for us both but he's still got another year to run after this coming one.

He's not good enough for a title contender but is better than spending the peak years of his career on the bench so seems a funny one to me.

Also highlights issues we may have with some of the longer, high-value contracts given out to older players who've fallen out of first team contention. Mignolet (£60K), Lovren (£100k), Clyne (£90k) and Lallana (£110k) are costing us over £17m a year for maybe 30 league appearances between them last season and none would be in the strongest matchday squad. All don't expire for another two years either.
He was wanting to join Fulham a year ago to have first team football, so i dont think it's a case of him setting his expectations too high. Yes, the offers so far may not have been all that enticing but he could have easily waiting until further in the summer before deciding to stay. I think most likely he has come round to the idea of being back up on his own accord - No way would Klopp make him stay following his refusal to allow him to leave last year when Karius was out the doo. Klopp is no doubt happy as it makes one less space in the squad to worry about.

Clyne has shown he wants first team football and isnt going to stay - he gave up a CL medal for that. Lallana's contract i think only has 1 year left doesnt it?

vjcpatriot

Right now Havertz and Aouar interest me the most out of the “prospects”. And out of the ready to start i’d Fancy dybala or zaha to plug into our attack.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Mignolet's already played for a lower league team in Sunderland.

He is only an injury or suspension away from potentially playing in big CL games or other big fixtures. It's quite easy to see why a 31 year old would rather stick around in a place he's so comfortable in, especially one who has a great boss and apparently gets on with his colleagues so well.

It's probably not the end to a career he dreamed of as a kid, but it's not too bad either.
He has probably also now accepted the fact that he wont be first choice for Belgium either. lol - i think that was the reason he gave when he was dropped by Brendan and talked about leaving.

Last edited:

SadiosMio

If they brought someone in above me for the second time in two years, stopped my development and made it clear I'd hit a ceiling I wasn't going to surpass there then maybe.

But it's not really a fair comparison. Only one of us is getting paid millions and would be comfortable off enough to retire before we're 30.
Right, which means you can probably afford to be more relaxed about whether you leading your department or not. :)

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
No news can be good news. 2 months to go in this window. It's all good. I'm cool with it. There's always manjana.

saymyname

Well there may be some news in a way, the odds for us signing Bruno Fernandes are now 1/9. So, someone might know something we don't. :think:

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Odds on Fernandes joining Liverpool have just plummeted. He's just posted a goodbye to Lisbon on Instagram and included a photo of him on a plane apparently. He could be going anywhere or it might be bullshit. Would be a great sigining If it happens IMO.
The added bonus is it will tip that twat Goldbridge over the edge because he has been ranting about him being UTDs marquee signing all summer.