• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Danny Rose would be perfect cover at LB but I am not sure if he will even continue in the PL with some of the things he has said. Will he even carry on with football?
I thought this at first then realised i had hadn't read the story correctly the first time.

His most quoted one is:
‘I’ve got five or six more years left in football and I just can’t wait to see the back of it.’

But his full quote is :
I feel I’ve got five or six more years left and I just want to enjoy football as much as I can. There is so much politics and whatever in football and I just can’t wait to see the back of it, to be honest.”

So if he wants out of England that kinda makes sense. But if he wants to enjoy fooball as much as he can then he could do worse than a package of Klopp hugs and a few european nights at Anfield.

Imgoingred

TIA Reserve Team
"Nothing else"?

"people want to have world-class here, world-class here and the guy on the bench has to be world-class as well. That’s not so easy. But we are of course working on it."

He's practically confirming we've got Mbappe in the works. Blatantly obvious.
The only logical explanation for no key signings this window is that we're saving that 100+ mil for Mbappe 2020. Confirmed. Done deal. Sealed. Signed.

Imgoingred

TIA Reserve Team
So if he wants out of England that kinda makes sense. But if he wants to enjoy fooball as much as he can then he could do worse than a package of Klopp hugs and a few european nights at Anfield.
He could hardly do better. But if he wants to enjoy his football, being a bench warmer probably isn't on his radar.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
You mean this one? He's gone.

I think they're selling Trippier and Rose because Pochettino has realized that they're not good enough. Surprised at Atleti buying Trippier after the season he had. As for Rose as back up to Robbo, no thanks. Don't want any Spurs cast offs.
er no... Serge Aurier lol

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
For those holding onto a sliver of hope that we are after a wide forward, I think that's now dashed with Klopp's comments on Rhian. "We think he's ready for the PL", "he sees the chance, the chance is there".

We will be using our current crop - Lallana, AOC, Shaq to provide forward cover, and gradually give game time to Rhian and potentially Wilson. Can't see it going any other way.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
For those holding onto a sliver of hope that we are after a wide forward, I think that's now dashed with Klopp's comments on Rhian. "We think he's ready for the PL", "he sees the chance, the chance is there".

We will be using our current crop - Lallana, AOC, Shaq to provide forward cover, and gradually give game time to Rhian and potentially Wilson. Can't see it going any other way.
I havent seen the full interview - but as far as i understand it, Brewster only played centrally for the youngers sides. What makes you think his availability means we arent still looking for a wide forward?

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
For most of the summer iv been moaning about making the most of our champions status and signing a marquee player of two.
But now I’m resigned to the fact it probably won’t happen.
And I’m ok with that now. With all these kids we are signing it’s the future we are building, and although I wouldn’t be against a Pepe/Coutinho transfer before the window closes, I’m also quite excited at how Kent/Wilson/Brewster progress under klopp.

Herb

Looking at our signings last season, Fabinho announced right after CL Final, Keita was already signed season before and Shaqiri and Alisson came around this time in July.

Pretty sure Klopp would want any signings who he wouldn’t class as a pure and simple back up eg a left back, in now that almost all the players are back in training.

I really can’t see money being the issue regarding the lack of signings as I’m certain the Club would pony up a few extra million to bring someone in as early as possible if Klopp wants them in. Particularly given how good our transfer business has been in the last two years.

Makes me think that either an announcement is imminent or the player(s) Klopp wants has been playing in the Copa America or the AFCON and so wouldn’t be back training yet anyway.
The entire summer the line coming from the club and journalists on the patch has been that we’ll be doing minimal business. The one recurring link to a big transfer (Pepe) has been dismissed strongly by the club. I’m pretty convinced that at this point other than any further additions to the youth setup we won’t be doing anything else. I know a lot of kidology goes with this stuff but at some point I feel like we have to believe what they’ve been saying for two months.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
LFC have a tendency to fuck up the summer after a really good season in the league. Just when we need to kick on that extra bit we dont tend to do it and fall away again.

02/03- The season after we were unlucky not to win PL (Arsenal won it) but won Super Cup and Charity Shield. We finished 5th. Won the league Cup but went out CL in group stages and UEFA Cup in Q/F.

09/10- Finished 2nd the season before but this season finished 7th. Rafa was sacked. Went out FA Cup early to Reading after replay, Arsenal knocked us out league cup in 4th round, Eliminated from CL in Group stage and lost to A Madrid in Europa S/F

19/20 - Again we find ourselves coming off the back of a strong season. CL winners and 2nd with record points but.......we dont seem to be kicking on again.

We cant rely on Lallana (Injuries) Ox (Injuries) and theyll be pressure on Brewster (not prem tested) to perform. I just hope we dont get so close and so far yet again. We could really do with at least 1 more top player. You cant have too many.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
LFC have a tendency to fuck up the summer after a really good season in the league. Just when we need to kick on that extra bit we dont tend to do it and fall away again.

02/03- The season after we were unlucky not to win PL (Arsenal won it) but won Super Cup and Charity Shield. We finished 5th. Won the league Cup but went out CL in group stages and UEFA Cup in Q/F.

09/10- Finished 2nd the season before but this season finished 7th. Rafa was sacked. Went out FA Cup early to Reading after replay, Arsenal knocked us out league cup in 4th round, Eliminated from CL in Group stage and lost to A Madrid in Europa S/F

19/20 - Again we find ourselves coming off the back of a strong season. CL winners and 2nd with record points but.......we dont seem to be kicking on again.

We cant rely on Lallana (Injuries) Ox (Injuries) and theyll be pressure on Brewster (not prem tested) to perform. I just hope we dont get so close and so far yet again. We could really do with at least 1 more top player. You cant have too many.
@Mascot88 , this one's for you...

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

As @Mascot88 has said in other threads. Kicking on doesnt by default mean buying players, nor does buying players guarentee moving forwards. The two seasons you have flagged would support this, wouldnt they? Just look at who we signed/sold for those seasons.

02/03 - Diouf, Diou, Luzi, Diarra and Cheyrou, losing Litmanen, Barmby and Stephen Wright.
09/10 - signed Aquilani, Krgyiakos, Glen Johnson and Maxi Rodriguez but lost Xabi, Arbeloa, Hypia, plus a host of back up players (some of whom probably shouldnt have been bought the year or two before such as Dossena).

Not sure how our summer of 19/20 can be said to compare with either of them. Our squad is much stronger than it was in either of those early periods, we've retained all our best players, having lost only 2 who rarely played, and we have our legendary manager in place and raring to go. We also havent wasted money on players that dont improve us, keeping our powder dry for one or two that will.

And, dont forget, we already reached the CL final and top four the season before so we know that last season's performance wasnt a one off.

JMac8

Now guess the missing factor from those previous attempts?

K_ _p_

Limiescouse

For most of the summer iv been moaning about making the most of our champions status and signing a marquee player of two.
But now I’m resigned to the fact it probably won’t happen.
And I’m ok with that now. With all these kids we are signing it’s the future we are building, and although I wouldn’t be against a Pepe/Coutinho transfer before the window closes, I’m also quite excited at how Kent/Wilson/Brewster progress under klopp.
Look at it the other way. We are European Champs and we are not going into the market (seemingly) this summer because we are happy with what we have and have faith in the kids coming up.

Contrast that with Barca. This is a side second to probably only Ajax in the whole of Europe for their reputation with developing youth players and using them. Yet in the last few years they have lost countless highly rated players who were never given a shot. It is certain that the lack of serious growth opportunities for their better young players critically blunted the progress of several of these kids, putting them in a position where they will now never be as good as they could have been had they been at a club that actually gave a shit.

Now take Coutinho. He was the subject of a multi-year tapping up campaign and he caved. Yet now he is there he is being shown that their players are expendable commodities, not human beings.

Look at Jorginho at Chelsea. He joined specifically to join the new project of his old manager and now, after being a scapegoat for the fans his manager has left and his career is now up in the air.

Our stability means the next time we go after a player like Virgil who has other attractive offers we have things going for us on a human level that makes us incredibly attractive. It also means we are well positioned for the most highly rated kids wanting to come here. It has already resulted in us taking Brewster and Solanke from Chelsea. As this goes on, it just continues to make us even more attractive.

Last edited:

Red over the water

I like a good signing as much as anybody, but I don’t think it’s happening this summer. Maybe a left back, but a low key one, and even then we might cover it with options already at the club.

Maybe the progress this summer is keeping the group together, not losing anyone, and then getting more from the squad we already have through three things: 1. Training 2. Players coming back from injury 3. Emerging players stepping up to the first team set up.

We have signed two highly rated youngsters and perhaps there will be one or two more of those.

I also like the idea that we are storing up money to be able to splurge again, should the need and opportunity arise. But there’s no need to force it. A manager on shaky ground might want to spend every last penny, but the set up we have is far removed from that. It is considered, measured, understated at times, but then bold and decisive when it needs to be. Long may it continue.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter

The recent years when we have finished 2nd, and expected to push on to more trophies, were years where we lost a significant player.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
The recent years when we have finished 2nd, and expected to push on to more trophies, were years where we lost a significant player.
True - 14/15 is glaringly missing from this list with Suarez departing from a team that had finished 2nd. Again there, we bought a lot of players to replace him and fell on our face.

The reluctance to spend for the sake of spending is one of things I love the most about how Klopp and Edwards do business. I'd like to get an exciting player or two in, but understand we have no major holes in the team (cough backup LB cough). It's better to spend nothing than to buy the wrong players.

LFCFFC

Yeah losing 31 goals and attempting to replace them with Balotelli and Lambert (bless his cotton socks) is asking for trouble.

We're in a fantastic position and while consolidation isn't as sexy as new signings, it's equally important. I'm happy to give Brewster/Wilson a run at it, even if it means sitting through another 3 weeks of wrist slitting and hand wringing because we haven't got 4 world class for every position.

Another LB would be good though tbf.

Last edited:

LFCFFC

Was thinking how our transfer business is enough to make the opposition brick themselves!

What, so you're totally happy with the squad? No holes? Plenty of cover? No need to buy extra goals? Damn.

It's a pretty rare thing to have a squad you're good to go with. Seemed like a distant dream a few years ago. Sturridge, Moreno, Bogdan gone. Where's the dead wood?
Divock hasn't scored a goal in over a month.

Sell.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I can't bring myself to worry about or doubt our immediate future.

It amazes me that people can still be so concerned after the complete competence displayed by Klopp and co over the last 3 years.

Let him do his thing. He's good at it.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Was thinking how our transfer business is enough to make the opposition brick themselves!

What, so you're totally happy with the squad? No holes? Plenty of cover? No need to buy extra goals? Damn.

It's a pretty rare thing to have a squad you're good to go with. Seemed like a distant dream a few years ago. Sturridge, Moreno, Bogdan gone. Where's the dead wood?
Usually after a very good season we tend to sell our best player. 2008/09 season ended brilliantly and we sold Alonso without having someone capable of replacing him (yeah Lucas). Then in 2013/14 we nearly won the league and sold the star that dragged us there, again without replacing him properly (Balotelli + Lallana, oooh yeah), this summer however (still early) we have not seen anyone being offloaded from the front 3 all the way back to the keeper. We did however let fringe players leave on a free. Like you said, we don't really have deadwoods as much as we used to. Having Klopp as our manager and knows exactly what he wants and who he can work with is a blessing, really.

As long as we keep our core around, add a few upcoming young talents to deputise this group I am happy to go into the season without any major signings. Besides, this had made a lot of ITK looked so stupid they now resort to posting all kinds of nonsense all over the internet. That is a good thing too...

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
As @Mascot88 has said in other threads. Kicking on doesnt by default mean buying players, nor does buying players guarentee moving forwards. The two seasons you have flagged would support this, wouldnt they? Just look at who we signed/sold for those seasons.

02/03 - Diouf, Diou, Luzi, Diarra and Cheyrou, losing Litmanen, Barmby and Stephen Wright.
09/10 - signed Aquilani, Krgyiakos, Glen Johnson and Maxi Rodriguez but lost Xabi, Arbeloa, Hypia, plus a host of back up players (some of whom probably shouldnt have been bought the year or two before such as Dossena).

Not sure how our summer of 19/20 can be said to compare with either of them. Our squad is much stronger than it was in either of those early periods, we've retained all our best players, having lost only 2 who rarely played, and we have our legendary manager in place and raring to go. We also havent wasted money on players that dont improve us, keeping our powder dry for one or two that will.

And, dont forget, we already reached the CL final and top four the season before so we know that last season's performance wasnt a one off.
13/14 - bought shitloads of players, but lost Suárez.

Keeping the side together would represent a big step forward.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
The shocking thing this summer isn't so much that we aren't doing much business, its that's there aren't even any remotely believable rumors that we are doing business.

Anyway:
Brewster (growing up back from injury) > aging Sturridge
Clyne (unless he's sold/loaned) > Moreno
Ox (back from injury) > no one else has left, so this a just an addition to the options

at the moment we have added 1 potentially really good midfielder to a Champions League winning side this summer. I have no idea if that is enough to get that 1 1/2 additional point we need to win the EPL, but it's not entirely bad.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I feel we need that one player who creates but can also step in the front 3, I’m not worrried though as I feel will do it.