• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I reckon once a couple of big moves happen the window is going to turn into something similar to the kids game Hungry Hippo's with teams thrashing it out like fucking lunatics.
I think that is the normal expectation, but we've already seen Bayern, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid and Barca start with their big summer spending and that is all done lrelatively quietly. Everyone appears to be expecting Barca and PSG to do some deal with Neymar. There doesnt appear to be much appetite for the big clubs to be going toe to toe for players (we very much appear to avoid it as much as possible). I think the only players that seem to have generated much activity are the young dutch CB and Maguire - but that could just be because of United's desperation.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
I think we may be looking to take advantage of other clubs needing to rebuild and in doing so inflate the market for each other. Instead, we pick up players from the younger end of the market and perhaps the older end if necessary, saving the money for when we see a player we feel we must have - possibly next season.
Or taking that thought of yours slightly differently, while clubs like the child processing machine Chelsea are locked out of signings, and the other teams are focussing on players ready to play first team football, we are taking advantage of less competition from these clubs that are usually poaching the youngsters before us. Add to that, we are actually an incredibly attractive option right now, not just for players wanting to break into the first team, but youngsters as well. And being attractive with less competition means you can sign up these youngsters onto reasonable contracts instead of over-inflated ones. See United for what not to do, who really are one of the least attractive 'big clubs' atm.

scouseheadross

Septical
Ajax winger David Neres, 22, has been linked with Manchester United and Everton, but the Brazil international has said his future is with the Dutch champions. (Algemeen Dagblad, via Express)

Pish. I thought Neres might be a target and sorted after the Copa America.

Keeping Origi is apparently our priority and if young Brewster nicks Sturridges spot...... maybe we'll get a LB though, eh?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
This is social media in a nutshell
(....)

Still, it provides me with entertainment every transfer window!
That sounds more like it.... goes to show how much people are willing to eat anything up just to create a fantasy world around themselves, so that they could go to their work place and tell their mates they know stuff from a "reliable source". lol lol lol

Foldy

The Echo now reporting we're getting either Asensio or Ceballos. That paper is becoming the new Daily Star for transfer shite. Don't get me wrong I'd love it if we went for Ceballos, looks like he could be a great player but I'm becoming more accepting now that we're fine as we are. If we do any business I think it will be to cover LB. Even if Lovren goes this new lad we've brought in looks like he's going to get first team chances.

We don't really need many signings. We need quality depth to cover our starters that can come in and add a dimension to our spine

In the past we signed the likes of Degen, Voronin and Plessis to cover our spine but we'll sign quality

We have come off a 97 point European Cup winning season.

waldaz

TIA Youth Team
The Echo now reporting we're getting either Asensio or Ceballos. That paper is becoming the new Daily Star for transfer shite. Don't get me wrong I'd love it if we went for Ceballos, looks like he could be a great player but I'm becoming more accepting now that we're fine as we are. If we do any business I think it will be to cover LB. Even if Lovren goes this new lad we've brought in looks like he's going to get first team chances.
They love to spread shit rumours for clickbait. Only for their journos to then get angry and say "Why do you believe such shit rumours?".

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
The Echo is an embarrassment now unfortunately.

Limiescouse

I think we may be looking to take advantage of other clubs needing to rebuild and in doing so inflate the market for each other. Instead, we pick up players from the younger end of the market and perhaps the older end if necessary, saving the money for when we see a player we feel we must have - possibly next season.
This is a market in which Griezmann is almost certain to move, Neymar likely, and Pogba possibly as well. In all cases, the teams that buy them will have to move moves of their own to make room and release money. This is likely to start off a cascade of moves. IF we were interested in Dembele, then it makes sense that we'd just keep our hands in our pockets and say nothing until Barca self-imposed pressure to sell started to be applied.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
It really is. Not used it for ages, along with the Mirror, both which seem to use the same web programme, which is loaded to fck with baggage and ads and videos and etc etc, then you get to find the story, and it is three lines, reworded from that which you read the day before :unhappy:
Yeah the amount of ads and overall user experience is ghastly. Sad really, some excellent journalists came through there.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Asensio would make tonnes of sense. Can slot in on the left or right, especially if we play a 4231. We need the club have fancied him forever.

He’ll find his game time limited further this year, and Real Madrid will probably also need to shift some players when they’ve finished their spending later in the summer.

Could see this happening Early August.

Foldy

Asensio would make tonnes of sense. Can slot in on the left or right, especially if we play a 4231. We need the club have fancied him forever.

He’ll find his game time limited further this year, and Real Madrid will probably also need to shift some players when they’ve finished their spending later in the summer.

Could see this happening Early August.
Wouldn't he want to be chosen over Mane? Great player who is as you say great LW/RW and AM but would he get the game time?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Wouldn't he want to be chosen over Mane? Great player who is as you say great LW/RW and AM but would he get the game time?
I think even as the fourth choice attacker, he gets loads of games. He is basically the cover for Mane and Salah, including when one of them is covering Firmino, and can also play anywhere across the three in a 4231.

He’ll get more games for us than for Madrid.

Zidane really likes him though, so still a long shot. We’d have to wait until Madrid realise they have overspent, the Spanish Government aren’t riding to the rescue, and they have to balance the books.

Last edited:

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I think even as the fourth choice attacker, he gets loads of games. He is basically the cover for Mane and Salah, including when one of them is covering Firmino, and can also play anywhere across the three in a 4231.

Zidane really likes him though, so still a long shot. We’d have to wait until Madrid realise they have overspent, the Spanish Government aren’t riding to the rescue, and they have to balance the books.
I was reading an article (possibly by Swiss Ramble) on Real Madrid's spending plans for the summer. Apparently they have plenty of room for more spending before having to sell.

Limiescouse

I think the comments in here are of the Asensio of 2 years ago. Zizzou gave him a lot of responsibility in picking him over Bale in important games in his first go at the club and while there were short term benefits from him, they have not been sustained. It is relevant that the guy who gave him that shot and previously had such confidence in him has since been convinced that he needs to plan to use other players.

scouseheadross

Septical

A lot of talk about getting games and how many starts a season someone will get.

Yes, it's yet another big international summer and the hairbrain Dec dash to the club world cup is a difficult pressure to quantify but other than the super cup and charity shield - which players will love being a part of - it's business as usual next season. Lots of tough PL games and the CL, maybe a cup run or two.

So I think Klopp will again look at it day to day if players are fit. He has superb conditioning staff. We played loads of games last year and still Sturridge, Origi, Shaq saw few starts. That said, I'm not sure Origi will sign up unless he's going to play more. He's all we'd be looking for in cover for the front three: quick, direct, powerful, eye for goal.

Ironically midfield was more of a problem at times last season. That could be turned on its head if Ox, Keita and Lallana are all at it again and I wouldn't bet against it under dear Mr Klopp. Like you, can see a change of shape at times and maybe some square pegs in round holes, hence a forward not being imperative.

Now sign Neres!

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
What to say. You can see the narrative on here has shifted, from the silence and inactivity from the club, at the beginning of the summer there was a lot of expectation for a number of high profile reinforcements
Ironically midfield was more of a problem at times last season. That could be turned on its head if Ox, Keita and Lallana are all at it again and I wouldn't bet against it under dear Mr Klopp. Like you, can see a change of shape at times and maybe some square pegs in round holes, hence a forward not being imperative.

Klopp is going to have a tough time trying to decide over Ox, Keita, Gini, Fab, Hendo, Milly, and Lallana for 3 positions in the midfield but yet we have rumors for players like Dani Ceballos,, bringing back Coutinho, Bruno Fernandes.. I don't buy any of this stuff as we don't have a BIG need or have room for a player like that on our club until other players leave. I don't get why anyone would expect multiple high profile signings this summer when whos positions will they be taking first off... ?

I don't expect any signings this summer.. not of anyone significant that plays more than a keita or fab or even shaq did last season for us any ways.. players like lallana indicated klopp has already told him he is in his plans for this upcoming season but sites like this and some fans still ignore that and act like we will sign someone who is taking his spot to upgrade on him. it's funny.. same with lovren. I'm sure there are some out there expecting us to sign a de ligt or new high profile CB and replace lovren when in reality he actually will most likely remain with the team and play for us this season.

the one type of a player I possibly could see us signing that can be a high profile type of signing this summer would be a forward type player who can fill in for Mane and Salah or firmino with not much drop off.. i still this think this player could be timo werner as he seems realistic and a perfect fit and it's known Klopp likes him and that he is mates with both mane and keita which both already came out in the media talking him up already.. . I will be shocked if we did more than that though and signed a player like that and then also a player like Bruno Fernandes for example. that would make no sense to me unless other players we have already are leaving. in the end.. I will not be surprised if we don't even buy any type high profile player either with the possibility of origi staying and brewsster getting Sturridge spot like Klopp has already hinted towards before with his comments. Klopp has also just recently made comments last week that having Ox back is like a new signing.. this also indicates to me it's highly unlikely we buy any type of midfielder I keep seeing us being rumored with.

Last edited:

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
As we speak, we will have a two competition squad once more for the upcoming season. The League and FA Cups will be written off again. Now I have no problem with that per se but what I fear is that we will find ourselves in a situation were we we'll be forced to play an away leg of the CL quarter finals with a bench consisting largley of U21s with very little first team game time, given that our current squad will never be accused of being physically robust. OK that's a worse case scenario but I would have thought that we'd have moved on from that sort of theoretical eventuality by now.

Complacency sucks.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
As we speak, we will have a two competition squad once more for the upcoming season. The League and FA Cups will be written off again. Now I have no problem with that per se but what I fear is that we will find ourselves in a situation were we we'll be forced to play an away leg of the CL quarter finals with a bench consisting largley of U21s with very little first team game time, given that our current squad will never be accused of being physically robust. OK that's a worse case scenario but I would have thought that we'd have moved on from that sort of theoretical eventuality by now.

Complacency sucks.

Jesus christ the one thing this club can't be accused of currently is complacency.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Asensio, as Mascot says make a whole lot of senseHe is a versatile attacking player and as such does not need to be looked at in a prism of replacing anyone.
He'd get heaps of starts given the number of games we'll be playing this year.He could be used to rest a few players and of course,while we always hope they don't happen,injuries.Which will occur!
With Ox back,and if we do go for Asensio,apart from a back up LB,I'd think we are pretty much done for this summer.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
@Red over the water

Well said!!!

Potting players who have given their all for the shirt boils my blood, even if that all wasn't up to the level we expected.

Albie has more PL games than anyone on here, I'd wager...
Albie has had a more positive impact on Liverpool's chances of success than anyone on here probably too. He may not have done as much good for the club as we like but he's tried and he hasn't done anything untoward. If not being good enough at football is a crime it's the only one hes guilty of. Along with most of us.