• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
At that point Moreno was back up to Milner as per the season that just ended. Chilwell was second choice at Leicester and more comfortable staying there and working to become their first choice (like he did) than come here and compete with Moreno to become first back up to Milner.
I dont think that is correct. Moreno finished the 15/16 season as first choice left back. We tried but missed out on Chilwell that summer, and decided to pass on Robertson.

Milner was reportedly cover for Albie because we had no other left backs come in during that window. He was out injured for the first match, against Arsenal, but started against Burnley. I dont know if that was because that was always the plan, or because of the criticism of Albie in the Arsenal game.

rab

At that point Moreno was back up to Milner as per the season that just ended. Chilwell was second choice at Leicester and more comfortable staying there and working to become their first choice (like he did) than come here and compete with Moreno to become first back up to Milner.
He very much wanted to come. He was told he wasn't going for the money we were prepared to offer and they gave him a huge pay rise to stop him kicking off.

This I know, it's not conjecture.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I dont think that is correct. Moreno finished the 15/16 season as first choice left back. We tried but missed out on Chilwell that summer, and decided to pass on Robertson.

Milner was reportedly cover for Albie because we had no other left backs come in during that window. He was out injured for the first match, against Arsenal, but started against Burnley. I dont know if that was because that was always the plan, or because of the criticism of Albie in the Arsenal game.
Fair enough I thought it was all the same summer. Memories hey?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
He very much wanted to come. He was told he wasn't going for the money we were prepared to offer and they gave him a huge pay rise to stop him kicking off.

This I know, it's not conjecture.
My initial point was that (out of almost nowhere) our recruitment team put forward Chilwell and Robertson. They just so happen to be the two left backs that are the best match for what Klopp wants. I don't think either player (as they were then) would reject Liverpool (as we are now) just because we weren't looking at them being brought in as guaranteed starter.

There are a lot of posts arguing that we wont be able to bring in left back cover for Robertson that would be good enough to cover for Robertson. But that ignores the fact that the current recruitment team have so far targeted two left backs. Both would have likely accepted that role and fitted the team needs perfectly. Just because posters on here can't highlight a likely candidate (who probably wouldn't have highlighted Chilwell or Robertson either) doesn't mean they aren't out there.

Personally believe the recruitment team have their target and its probably someone who can play both sides. If we can't land him this summer we are probably prepared to wait like when we had Milner cover left back. We will use the likes of Milner, Ox, Fabinho and the youth prospects and "cope"! Or maybe keep Clyne for his last season for the role.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
First the left back/full back able to play both sides doesn't have to be as much of a success story as Robertson. We need a back up/competition and cover not a world class starter.

On playing time if Robertson continues to play as much going forward he'll eventually become injury prone. You can't keep starting a player in 50 plus games in tough leagues season after season without it having consequences. Robertson isn't playing 55-60+ games next season and we could end up with around 65 games. Trent will probably require more rest on the right due to his younger age. A player who can play both sides may end up starting as many games next season as Fabinho did this.
It’s not about what you or I think. The team have a world class team of medical staff and physios and if they think he is fine with that amount of football, then he probably is. There know more about this than we do.

If they think that Robbo needs to play around forty next year, and Klopp doesn’t bring someone in, then it means that Klopp thinks he already has cover. As I keep saying, either way the club has earned our trust on this one.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
My initial point was that (out of almost nowhere) our recruitment team put forward Chilwell and Robertson. They just so happen to be the two left backs that are the best match for what Klopp wants. I don't think either player (as they were then) would reject Liverpool (as we are now) just because we weren't looking at them being brought in as guaranteed starter.
It’s an incredibly hypothetical post, but I disagree that either 2018 Robertson or Chillwell would sign now.

We’ve just had Lloyd Kelly - a player who is at a significant lesser profile to what either Robertson or Chilwell were - turn us down over a lack of playing time.

The point is that when we signed Robertson (and it could have been Chilwell) the player standing between him and the first team was Alby Moreno, and any half decent player could look at his erratic performances and fancy himself to get past him in the pecking order.

Any left back target now is coming in aware that if they want to stake a claim for the starting spot they have got to get past a lad who many people think is the best left back in Europe.

So we can’t sell players on the idea that if they knuckle down and impress, they can become the go to left back. It’s clear to anyone we approach that Robbo is the number one and they would be coming in as cover.

In short the sell to any potential left back target is very different and a lot harder than it was this time last year.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Moreno started 4 (2 of which we lost) games last year and 2 games in 16/17. It was only before Robertson was settled in 17/18 that he has actually played any football at all in the past 3 years.

His departure only leaves a vacancy open for another clown. In reality we are no worse off at left back now than we were last season. I'd like us to sign another left footer but if we don't it should not be a problem at all, and why so much time is spent debating this, as if this is now a new and major issue, is beyond me.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
It’s not about what you or I think. The team have a world class team of medical staff and physios and if they think he is fine with that amount of football, then he probably is. There know more about this than we do.

If they think that Robbo needs to play around forty next year, and Klopp doesn’t bring someone in, then it means that Klopp thinks he already has cover. As I keep saying, either way the club has earned our trust on this one.
First and foremost you are right. The club has earnt our trust. That’s the overriding arc for me.

However, my opinion, which bears zero influence obviously, is I’d like to see a versatile fullback brought in this summer. I agree with ARD. I’d think 40 games is about perfect for a modern footballer, so long as the breaks in game time are strategic.

Maybe Robbo and Trent are good for another 50 plus season, which means I have eyes on the following year.

That’s where the trust comes in. In Klopp thinks hoevar or laroucci are 30 plus game full backs the following season, then that’s where the trust comes in.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
On Havertz, he's class but Jones is a similar type of player and is good enough to make it here.

It's similar to Werner really. We could spend 130 million on Havertz and Werner whilst having Jones and Brewster at the club waiting for a chance. Makes little sense to me.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
It’s an incredibly hypothetical post, but I disagree that either 2018 Robertson or Chillwell would sign now.

We’ve just had Lloyd Kelly - a player who is at a significant lesser profile to what either Robertson or Chilwell were - turn us down over a lack of playing time.

The point is that when we signed Robertson (and it could have been Chilwell) the player standing between him and the first team was Alby Moreno, and any half decent player could look at his erratic performances and fancy himself to get past him in the pecking order.

Any left back target now is coming in aware that if they want to stake a claim for the starting spot they have got to get past a lad who many people think is the best left back in Europe.

So we can’t sell players on the idea that if they knuckle down and impress, they can become the go to left back. It’s clear to anyone we approach that Robbo is the number one and they would be coming in as cover.

In short the sell to any potential left back target is very different and a lot harder than it was this time last year.
The way you talk no club with a decent starting player would have ever been able to sign a cover player ever. We would never have been able to sign Salah due to Mane or Shaqiri due to Salah either. This happens all the time, here and elsewhere. Players sign knowing they aren't going to be starter from day 1 every single transfer window. For us and other teams. You're making far too much of a big deal over this. Especially as me and most others are asking for a versatile player who can play left back and another position. There are players out there that can play left back who would literally do anything they could to move to us this summer. I can guarantee that regardless of how good Robertson is. It would only take an injury and they'd be the starting left back at one of the biggest clubs with a world famous manager that has just won the biggest prize in club football. I think you are being far too over the top on players having some kind of demand as to how much playing time they will be guaranteed. There will be some players who will doubt themselves, they make think they are only ready for a Bournemouth (a club with an absolutely cracking set up for a young player to get that experience and make a step up). With us it's more likely our own high standards and particular requirements that makes it tricky to fill the position. Klopp is incredibly particular about who we bring in. That player may not be readily available. We worked on Fabinho for a year. Keita for longer. For all we know there is a player about to join or it could be someone like Achraf Hakimi who would seemingly be perfect but is tied into a loan at Dortmund next season as second year of a two year deal. There could be loads of reasons why a deal may not happen now. I just don't believe our unattractiveness due to Robertson being good is anywhere near as high up the list as you keep saying. Especially not for a versatile player.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
On Havertz, he's class but Jones is a similar type of player and is good enough to make it here.

It's similar to Werner really. We could spend 130 million on Havertz and Werner whilst having Jones and Brewster at the club waiting for a chance. Makes little sense to me.
True that. In my opinion, Havertz is in the small group of elite U21s alongside Mbappe and Rashford. Possibly a generational talent of German football, in my eyes he's an aberration in terms of build, mobility, technique, finishing, ability to create stuff out of nothing... He reminds me of Bergkamp overall. I'd love to see him in a Liverpool shirt but it probably wouldn't make much sense as Klopp has already invested so much in AOC and Keita (I feel like I'm repeating this same sentence for years) and we still hopes Jones and Woodburn will make it (though I see Jones' future on the wing).

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
True that. In my opinion, Havertz is in the small group of elite U21s alongside Mbappe and Rashford. Possibly a generational talent of German football, in my eyes he's an aberration in terms of build, mobility, technique, finishing, ability to create stuff out of nothing... He reminds me of Bergkamp overall. I'd love to see him in a Liverpool shirt but it probably wouldn't make much sense as Klopp has already invested so much in AOC and Keita (I feel like I'm repeating this same sentence for years) and we still hopes Jones and Woodburn will make it (though I see Jones' future on the wing).
I rate Rashford but he's never in that company and not a 'generational' talent. Sterling and Sancho are better, Brewster could be too.

Brital

Guys, I was last here a while ago saying we need to spend more.
we spent money and won the Champions League.
Now you’re all bending over backwards to say we don’t need to improve the squad whilst everyone else is.
How did the years before we spent the spent any money go?

It’s not a difficult decision. Spend and win, or rely on Jones, Woodburn etc. and win f*ck all.

We went out of both cups first round last year - something I was glad about cos I knew our squad wasn’t big enough. This year we have a Charity Shield, Super Cup and World Cup Championship as extra, we’ve lost Sturridge who played games and everyone thinks this squad can cope with that?

Does no one want to win a domestic cup? Without a bigger squad we will never challenge.

The ridiculous comments that suggest no one could get a game in our front three - they’ve all been playing all summer. How long can we flog them without a rest?

Please stop suggesting we don’t need anyone and let’s start considering what are we going to do with all the money pouring into the club unless we do.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Cue trumpet blasts.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you a veritable transfer rumour. From out of left field it is said that Liverpool FC is interested in buying one Philipp Max aged 25 of Augsburg. Source is completely unreliable. Why 'Sport' would be reporting this I don't know but there it is.
(BBC gossip page)

Liverpool want Augsburg's German left-back Philipp Max, 25, as competition for Andy Robertson. (Sport - in Spanish)

StevenAlonso

Cue trumpet blasts.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you a veritable transfer rumour. From out of left field it is said that Liverpool FC is interested in buying one Philipp Max aged 25 of Augsburg. Source is completely unreliable. Why 'Sport' would be reporting this I don't know but there it is.
(BBC gossip page)

Liverpool want Augsburg's German left-back Philipp Max, 25, as competition for Andy Robertson. (Sport - in Spanish)
Breaking News:Melissa Reddy tweets Liverpool have no interest in signing Philipp Max or his brother Philipp Min..
Just a mateer of time.. Cant wait for this transfer windiw to shut and real action to start..

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
See, I look at that and think it's entirely reasonable lol

Let's be honest, the £8m paid for Robbo is a one-off, I don't think £17m to get a second choice in is that high a price to pay really.

I know nothing about the player, however looking at his stats he seems to get a good number of assists from LB (season before last he was the league's second top assist-maker, behind Tomas Muller), which suggests in terms of style he could be a decent stand-in for Robbo.

It may not be coincidence that this rumour is resurfacing now after Klopp has had a few games to see what sort of level Lewis and Larouci are at.

Last edited:

rab

Sort of defeats the idea of a back up LB, at that price it suggests its nothing more than a story. Just cant see the club spending this much, after the success they have had with Robbo, they know there are better deals out there, and this guy or anyone at this price, seems an uncomfortable fit.
No reason a back up has to cost less than the guy who currently has the position locked down.

Matt Targett went for not too dissimilar fee and he wasn't even Southampton's first choice left back.

It's not the cost, it's the value that matters.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Mail saying clyne is heading back to palace.
I would think that is very likely. Bournemouth appear not to have rushed into signing him, and Roy likes his experienced players. He will cost far less than they got for the guy they sold to Utd, and he is a Palace old boy so will probably look forward to going back and will be warmly welcomed by the fans.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Mail saying clyne is heading back to palace.

Dom king was on radio earlier saying we have zero interest in Pepe
Very predictable but also a good deal for all parties involved if true. An experienced, defensively minded fullback looking to get his career back on track. Clyne was on my wishlist when Liverpool needed a right back and I thought we got a good deal back then (he certainly fulfilled the expectations prior to his injury) but he simply doesn't fit this Liverpool side anymore. I'd even go as far as saying that Moreno looked a better fit than Clyne over the course of last two seasons because of his lack of attacking nous.