• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Spitfire

Resident Realist
If it's one first team signing it could be a toss up - but on the face of it I think he may go for a LB.

FB's are a huge part of our game and I think Larouci and Lewis need more time.

I understand similar arguments can be made for up front - but when you look that we have just resigned Origi, and the development time that has gone into Wilson, Kent, Brewster - they will be given the chance.

I could see us lining up first prem game front three with something like - Salah, Origi, Ox.....or possibly Wilson. I assume Salah will be fit to go based on earlier exit from afcon........Firmino and mane given extra time if needed.

At some point however you have to trust in your investment , and for us that appears to be now. This is the season to see the return on:

Ox
shaqiri
Keita
Plus the youngsters - Brewster, Wilson, Kent

Clive

If it's one first team signing it could be a toss up - but on the face of it I think he may go for a LB.

FB's are a huge part of our game and I think Larouci and Lewis need more time.

I understand similar arguments can be made for up front - but when you look that we have just resigned Origi, and the development time that has gone into Wilson, Kent, Brewster - they will be given the chance.

I could see us lining up first prem game front three with something like - Salah, Origi, Ox.....or possibly Wilson. I assume Salah will be fit to go based on earlier exit from afcon........Firmino and mane given extra time if needed.

At some point however you have to trust in your investment , and for us that appears to be now. This is the season to see the return on:

Ox
shaqiri
Keita
Plus the youngsters - Brewster, Wilson, Kent
Ox, Shaq and Keita have hardly featured in a front 3 for Klopp (maybe once or twice each), so we’d likely need to change the system to accomodate them 4-2-3-1). This could be the plan, but we’ve not seen much evidence of it (eg we could play the Ox wide in a front 3 or change the system in pre season but haven’t seen this yet).

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Ox, Shaq and Keita have hardly featured in a front 3 for Klopp (maybe once or twice each), so we’d likely need to change the system to accommodate them 4-2-3-1). This could be the plan, but we’ve not seen much evidence of it (eg we could play the Ox wide in a front 3 or change the system in pre season but haven’t seen this yet).
Shaq did a bit last year off the bench and Ox could - Keita I'd never expect to.
Wilson, brewster and Kent are all playing in those positions now.
It may be we start the season with origi, Brewster and Salah up front who knows.

The overarching point of my post is that we have made significant financial and time investments on a number of players, and it would appear the manager now wants to put it to use and trust in it........f we don;t now then we never will........and you then go down the roads of arguments of the point of a youth set up particularly.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
amazing how bale has never really been accepted by Madrids fans.
He has more goals, assists, trophies than Zidane at his time there. Really odd.

Would anyone take him at LFC?

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

I would if he accepted a pay cut to keep him in line with the rest of the squad, but if he were to insist on what his current deal is, then I'd tell him to jog on

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
The Bale that left Spurs, for sure. I personally think he's lost his passion for the game, not to mention the fact that I doubt his body could cope with Klopp's training or tactics, it would be Sturridge mkII.

I just think a big money, big name marquee signing over 30 clearly on the wane physically is the antithesis of our strategy under FSG, Edwards etc.

Limiescouse

There are only a handful of players in history who have a better record in the CL/European cup in terms of wins and goals. And he hasn't been a passenger in these win...he has scored the winner in 2 of his 4 wins, and played the entire 120 minutes and scored a pen in a third. On every metric he has been a fantastic success yet there is still this feeling that he hasnt been a success.

Last edited:

Noo Noo

A fit Bale yes. The one which seems to be injured quite a lot, unfortunately no.

If he did come I wouldn't want him here on anything like his current wages though.

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
Definitely would not want Bale. That said, he has been treated appallingly (based on what is public). Could see him go to China for 1m per week but also not sure whether that sort of contract could be reliably enforced when the club gets cold feet after 6 months. Surely a better bet for him to stay put - if he waits 18 months he will probably outlast ZZ. He gets treated so poorly by the club and fans considering what he contributed to them winning their trophies and, excluding the real players of the 1950s when the EC wasn't taken as seriously, only 3 players have won the EC more times - Maldini, Costacurta and thin Ronaldo. Hopefully that fascist club never win another champions league so they won't have to boo the players who won it for them.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Not sure I’d want Bale here.
He ‘s been injured a bit and would want similar silly money to what he is on.
His wages should reflect his value to us,in the event of him coming.
He won’t wear that,and we shouldn’t pay that.
So toddle off Gareth,don’t need you.

Red over the water

No to Bale for me, for all the reasons outlined above. He has been a very good player at Madrid, won loads, scored goals at a level only Ronaldo beats, and yet... somehow if they don’t like the cut of your jib, that’s it.

Arguably the indifference he has shown has done him in. But he won’t care.

If he takes the mo eye in China it will be a great shame, as he’s still a very good player, but he may feel he’s got nothing to prove and he might as well line his pockets.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I hope Bale tells Zidane where to shove his advice, and spends the next three years playing golf at their expense.

At the very least I would telling them to pay him off in full and let him leave a free agent.

Red over the water

The manager/coach is within his rights to not want a player, but then the player is within his rights to want his contract paid up to move on smoothly. Arguably Zidane has played his hand poorly, as he seems desperate to get rid of Bale.

Pay him his contract up, then he can come to Liverpool on a twelve month deal to tide us over before Mbappe arrives. He could live on the Wirral and play golf at Arrowe Park municipal. Didn’t do me any harm. Then again, he might like Caldy with Montse, or he may even get a game at Royal Liverpool if he’s good. Needs to be able to keep it down in the wind though, Shane Lowry style!

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
It's a moot point, as he wont be coming here, but if he was inclined to I would say yes in a heartbeat. Great player, energetic and willing to work all day. As I said, he wont be coming and we don't have a million a week to pay him.........but he would be an excellent acquisition.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
I would like us to sign some new players, not least because adding new players helps freshen up the squad, adds competition, increases depth, allows for rotation (if they're good enough) etc etc but I'm also on board with the view that the squad will improve naturally, because players improve as individuals. If we had an ageing squad then I would be extremely concerned by the lack of movement in the transfer market but the contrary is the case; we have a squad where the majority of our key players are nearing or entering their 'peak' years. The BBC did an article on this at the beginning of last month but they only focused on a few clubs (afaik), including Liverpool:

It shows that of our 11 most used players in the league last year, 1 might be deemed a prospect (TAA), 9 are in their 'peak' years (24-30) with only 1 (past their prime?) in Milner at 33.

That's an extremely healthy position to be in. The ages of our first 11 (Alisson, Robertson, VvD, Fabinho, TAA, Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Mane, Firmino, Salah - based on minutes in the PL) are:

20, 25, 25, 26, 27, 27, 27, 28, 28, 29, and 33 (average age 26.8yrs).

But what about for City?

They have 1 who might be deemed a prospect (Sane, who wants to leave), 7 in their 'peak' years, with 3 past their prime (Aguero, David Silva, and Fernandinho).

That's not great, particularly when the three 'past their prime' are such key players for them (albeit D Silva on the wane).

The ages of their first 11 (Ederson, Laporte, Stones, Walker, D Silva, Fernandinho, Gundogan, B Silva, Sane, Aguero, Sterling - based on minutes in the PL) are:

23, 24, 25, 25, 25, 25, 28, 29, 31, 33, and 34 (average age 27.5yrs).

They need to be thinking about replacing D Silva, Ageuro and Fernandinho (not to mention Kompany). So far they've only brought in Rodri and who knows whether he can do an adequate Fernandinho imitation?

Milner just about scraped into our top 11 players (based on % minutes played last season) but with AOC hopefully being able to play this season, Fabinho being involved from the beginning and Keita hopefully more integrated, he's very unlikely to feature in more than 50% of PL minutes this season. Can City say the same about Aguero and David Silva?

I do think the natural progression of players should mean that our team is even better this year than last year without any additions and that based purely on organic growth I expect us to improve more than City. However, I'd still like to make some additions - providing they're the right players and their valuations aren't absurd. In that regard I have full confidence in Klopp and his team.
The flipside of that is that if City do manage to replace those three ageing players (difficult) then age-wise they are suddenly in a much healthier position than us, even if you discounted Milner from our side.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
The flipside of that is that if City do manage to replace those three ageing players (difficult) then age-wise they are suddenly in a much healthier position than us, even if you discounted Milner from our side.
I'm not sure. The ages I gave don't include those for AOC (25), Origi (24), Keita (24), Gomez (22), and Brewster (19)...all of whom you'd expect to feature this season and into the future. Not to mention Hoever and Van Den Berg (both 17). Mbappe (20), Havertz (20), and Sancho (19) will also bring the average age down even further.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
I'm not sure. The ages I gave don't include those for AOC (25), Origi (24), Keita (24), Gomez (22), and Brewster (19)...all of whom you'd expect to feature this season and into the future. Not to mention Hoever and Van Den Berg (both 17). Mbappe (20), Havertz (20), and Sancho (19) will also bring the average age down even further.
Yeah, Ox, Keita and Gomez are certainly going to be much bigger factors this season, and we are in a good position with the youngsters coming through that have shown a bit this preseason. I know Pep and Klopp are sharing their disdain atm with the summer competitions, probably because of how it will effect our starts to the season, but those competitions really have been a blessing for these youngsters getting more game time out of sheer necessity.

I don't know the first thing about City's youngsters, but I always thought their academy was strong but underutilized by the first team manager. I agree that our squad right now is quite probably the healthiest (value-wise) in the league.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Saw an interesting tweet from one of the statto's involved in Anfield Index about the average age for forwards peaks around 24-25 rather than the normally accepted wisdom of 28. Which naturally made me think of @Kopstar 's post the other day in regards to the age of our forwards and that of Coutinho.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I'm suprised United aren't all over Bale. They could offer him £2m a week and give Real say £70m rising to £100m if he manages to play five games over the season.

Come on Woodward, get your chequebook out!
Until this summer, United were all on board for Bale. It seems a little strange to see them shy away from him now even though they look to be spunking up £250m for a load of other players.

Red over the water

I wonder if Man Utd haven't been burned by Sanchez. Also, Solskjaer seems to want to have a chance to put down his authority, and as a fairly inexperienced manager he might not be good at doing that with mature players, hence their new found strategy (I think) to try to recruit younger players.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
Klopp explains it much better than I could... but he gives some insight on why we haven't bought anyone. He clearly states he already has the team he wants to start the season with. Says Ox back is like a big transfer.... and talks about how we already have players like Brewster, Gomez, and Lallana... and it's time to use them

Last edited: