The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Danny_

I'm not convinced on Wilson either. I think he will make a good career for himself, just not at Liverpool. I always have the impression that he's trying too hard while at Liverpool, especially in pre-season games, like he has some sort of mental barrier that he can't get through, and it's affecting his decision making.

If these reports are true and Klopp really wants to keep him and not loan him out, it should be everything Wilson needs to hear right now. That should calm his nerves and gear him up for the chance he's been working hard to earn, especially with Shaqiri's recent fitness issues and Mane's unavailability.

That said, I won't blame him if he decides to find a new club where he will have a first eleven role but with all the games coming up until New Year, maybe it wouldn't be unreasonable to keep him until January window. With various deals around the league in mind, I don't think his value would be reduced at all, though I think that it's not likely any potential sale would be as high as 25 million pounds, at least not the guaranteed fee.
Agreed, I think he is 23 now and if he was going to make it, this is the season. From what I have seen, he's missing speed of thought. Whether that can be coached into him or not, I don't know. I don't think he will ever be good enough to play for us but he might make it at a mid-table or relegation club. He needs to be playing now though so it is probably the best thing for us and him if we part ways soon.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
I do think we need 1 or 2 in. I don’t buy this line of we don’t need anyone. We do.
I don’t think there’s nothing with wanting to improve on what we have. It’s what the best do. They get better. It doesn’t make you a hater if you want to see us want to become the best.
I just think we are standing still a bit if we think Lallana (maybe Ox and Keita) for example, is ever gonna not be injured.

I’m not saying it’s the end of the world if we don’t bring anyone in and just hope we have enough. Lots of games coming up from next week and we need to hit ground running.

I see the FSG OUT brigade are out in full voice on twitter. I’ve never really thought about it to be honest but what some are saying is that FSG only buy once they have sold someone. They never actually spend any money. Henry hasn’t helped himself by saying at end of final we will spend big this summer and no one has arrived.

Now maybe Klopp feels we don’t need anyone - he knows squad better than anyone - but I do find it strange that our standing in football hasn’t been this high for years and we don’t seem to be pushing on. I just hope we haven’t missed a trick or are the FSG mob right and it’s because we haven’t sold anyone we can’t bring anyone in?

This window has me baffled. It’s great as we haven’t lost anyone we don’t want to but even 1 body would make a difference. Maybe Klopp wants certain players and they aren’t available? Be glad when window shuts and the football starts.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Have we been building a new billion pound stadium and no one has told me or something? This would explain a lot :tongue:

Mark Thurgood

Would anyone fancy a punt on Dani Alves?
Free agent, high wages vastly experienced, one year deal for Clyne being out for a while. Lots of fixtures this year.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Would anyone fancy a punt on Dani Alves?
Free agent, high wages vastly experienced, one year deal for Clyne being out for a while. Lots of fixtures this year.
Had the same idea, but he's 36. I cannot see Klopp or the owners sanctioning buying someone of that age, particularly when he would probably want a salary commensurate with his status, Like, 200 grand a week.
Apparently, Man City and Arse are being linked with him. I cannot see the former going for him, for the same reasons we wouldn't, but the latter just might, if only for one season.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Had the same idea, but he's 36. I cannot see Klopp or the owners sanctioning buying someone of that age, particularly when he would probably want a salary commensurate with his status, Like, 200 grand a week.
Apparently, Man City and Arse are being linked with him. I cannot see the former going for him, for the same reasons we wouldn't, but the latter just might, if only for one season.
If he can do a job for a season, the wage won't be a problem...it's whether he can perform and do the role we want.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Does anyone believe Max Kruse when he says he rejected Liverpool to join Fenerbahce? I am asking genuinely for discussion sake. "After speaking with players I don't regret my decision" It seems like such an odd thing for a player to say, publicly, not to mention poor character form. And in the off chance it is true, I wonder what attracted him to the Turkish League over the Prem.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Does anyone believe Max Kruse when he says he rejected Liverpool to join Fenerbahce? I am asking genuinely for discussion sake. "After speaking with players I don't regret my decision" It seems like such an odd thing for a player to say, publicly, not to mention poor character form. And in the off chance it is true, I wonder what attracted him to the Turkish League over the Prem.
More money, guaranteed playing time? It's certainly possible. Although we don't know how far the talks progressed, we may have been seeing if he was interested rather than explicitly making an offer.

Sweeting

I think what is more likely is that we made some preliminary talks with his agent and neither party moved forward with it.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
More money, guaranteed playing time? It's certainly possible. Although we don't know how far the talks progressed, we may have been seeing if he was interested rather than explicitly making an offer.
He talks in that article of expressly rejecting an offer from the club. I guess I am a dinosaur, it just seems odd (to me, anyway) that a player would be so effusive in his public proclamation of rejection.

Cologne-Liverpool

3 things that raise some doubts about his version of the story for me: 1)Liverpool 2)Fenerbahce 3) Max Kruse.
My guess is he might be exaggerating a bit, but who knows.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Maybe he was a potential short-term option if we didn't keep or Origi decided to move on. Doesn't seem unrealistic if these things happen, doesn't mean he doesn't rate Liverpool, but at Fenerbahce (watched them against Dinamo Zagreb last season, they were bloody poor) you'd imagine he'd be starting material.

Richard88

Here's an outline of our current squad (including player ages), followed by some of my analysis of what the next signings are likely to be.

------------------------------ Alisson (26) -----------------------------------
----------------------------- Mignolet (31) -----------------------------------
----------------------------- Grabara (20) ------------------------------------

Trent (20) -------- Gomez (22) ------- Van Dijk (28) ------- Robertson (25)
Hoever (17) ------- Matip (27) -------- Lovren (30) ---------- Larouci (18)
Clyne (28) --- Van den Berg (17) ----- Phillips (22) ----------- Lewis (19)

------------------------------ Fabinho (25) -----------------------------------
----------------------------- Henderson (29) ---------------------------------
------------------------------- Grujic (23) -------------------------------------

----------------- Wijnaldum (28) ---------- Keita (24) -----------------------
-------------------- Milner (33) ------------- Ox (25) -------------------------
------------------- Lallana (31) ------------ Jones (18) ----------------------

Salah (27) ------------------- Firmino (27) ----------------------- Mané (27)
Shaqiri (27) ------------------- Origi (24) -------------------------- Kent (22)
Wilson (22) ----------------- Brewster (19) ----------------- Woodburn (19)
Elliott (16) ------------------- Duncan (18) -----------------------------------

Needless to say, looking at that the squad is quite simply in an excellent position.

Firstly, most first team players are in their prime years (with the exception of Trent and Gomez), which is perfect.

Secondly, the contractual situation is excellent too, as the next contracts to expire are all for players nearing the age of or above 30:

Contracts expiring in 2020 (and their age at expiry):​
  • Clyne (29)
  • Milner (34)
  • Lallana (32)
Contracts expiring in 2021:​
  • Mignolet (33)
  • Matip (29)
  • Lovren 32)
  • Wijnaldum (30)
It's clear what the long-term plan is and that most of the players listed above are the players who will be moved out next. With that in mind, it's great to see the club being proactive in identifying the next wave of youngsters to replace them, notably Grabara (20); Hoever (17); Van den Berg (17); Elliott (16); as well as Brewster (19).

Personally I'm not convinced that most of the other younger squad options (beyond those mentioned above) will be here long-term:
  • Phillips - Likely moved on soon.
  • Larouci - Promising, but still unproven and quite raw in defending as a LB.
  • Lewis - Not good enough for the 1st team.
  • Grujic - Being showcased again in Germany, but still has a chance of being Henderson's long term replacement.
  • Jones - Promising, but I don't think he's good enough to be one of the 1st teams' 4 CM's going forward.
  • Wilson - Probably leaves if and when an offer of £20m+ is received.
  • Kent - Rangers want him on loan, but he'll probably get sold this summer.
  • Woodburn - Has failed to impress on loan and will probably get loaned again or sold.
  • Duncan - Promising, but still has a long way to go yet.

That said, looking at the squad and assessing the weaknesses (both current and long-term), I think the next priorities for scouting and signings are very likely the following:

• CM: A young replacement for Milner (33) and Lallana (31). I personally don't think Curtis Jones is up to scratch as a direct replacement, and it would be nice to see a Gomez/Hoever/Elliott type signing here in the 18-21 year old range.
I think this signing can wait until next summer, at which stage a clear space in the squad would be open to attract someone more established who would want significant game time (eg. Kai Havertz, 20). This young CM would be competing primarily with Ox/Keita/Wijnaldum, with Wijnaldum then being 29 and a year away from his contract expiring. There would be plenty of game time for him, albeit as a 3rd/4th choice CM the first season while getting bedded in.​

• LB: As stated above I don't think Lewis is good enough, and Larouci has yet to convince either. A young understudy for Robertson in the 18-21 range would be ideal long-term.
Short-term cover (for this season) by an experienced LB could be a shrewd move as well (similar to the Klavan signing). I see this as the only necessary transfer left to make this window (unless a good young option is brought in).​

• LW: With Woodburn and Kent likely to be moved on the team lacks natural LW depth beyond Mané, so that is clearly a need going forward too. Again, someone highly promising in the 18-21 range would be great.

With the notable exception of LB cover for this season, I don't think any of the above necessarily need to be made in this window. That said, I do think these moves would ideally be made by the end of the 2020 window.

Now, with all that in mind, if we fast-forward two years to the 2021-22 season, the squad should look something like this (with ages updated for summer 2021):

------------------------------ Alisson (28) ------------------------------------
------------------------------ Grabara (22) -----------------------------------

Trent (22) -------- Gomez (24) ------- Van Dijk (30) ------- Robertson (27)
Hoever (19) ------- Matip (29) ---- Van den Berg (19) ---- New LB (21-22)

------------------------------ Fabinho (27) -----------------------------------
----------------------------- Henderson (31) ---------------------------------
------------------------------- Grujic (25) -------------------------------------

----------------- Wijnaldum (30) ---------- Keita (26) -----------------------
----------------- New CM (21-22) --------- Ox (27) -------------------------

Salah (29) ------------------- Firmino (29) ----------------------- Mané (29)
Shaqiri (29) ------------------- Origi (26) ------------------- New LW (21-22)
Elliott (18) ------------------- Brewster (21) ----------------------------------

Last edited:

Richard88

"With players". In other words, he probably spoke with Karius. Maybe Emre Can as well. Both of whom Klopp was fine letting go and who might thus not have the best things to say.

Realistically I think Kruse was lined up as a possible replacement for Origi in case he hadn't signed a new contract, to provide nothing more than an experienced backup option behind Firmino and Brewster. Kruse might not have wanted to wait on Origi to make up his mind, thereby "snubbing" Liverpool by signing a deal elsewhere in the meantime.

Last edited:

GaryBarlow99

Klopp basically saying Kent needs to leave to get game time at his age. Don't know if it was only him he was referring to or Wilson as well.

“The time is over, I think, for loans, because of his age. The players need to find a place where they can settle. A loan is not an option.”

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member

Klopp basically saying Kent needs to leave to get game time at his age. Don't know if it was only him he was referring to or Wilson as well.

“The time is over, I think, for loans, because of his age. The players need to find a place where they can settle. A loan is not an option.”
Still think both Kent and Wilson go before window closes.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I can't imagine selling both Kent and Wilson and not buying a replacement other than a 16 year old. Having watched the post match presser, it seems to me that Jurgen was referring specifically to Kent and not Wilson when he said that the time for loans is over. Given the way he was speaking it looks like Kent will be gone and Wilson will get a chance to stake his claim.

This may be my imagination but when he was talking to the club PR guy about Kent's absence, I got the impression that there was something Jurgen thought it best not to say publicly. Of course it's always best not to reveal any details of a player's personal life, but I did get the impression that "illness" was a euphemism here.

Jaytinho

I would prefer to have Ounas rather than Pepe
Im inclined to agree, I remember this cameo he made for Algeria in the AFCON against Ivory Coast in the QF's. He came on for Mahrez and immediately Algeria looked dangerous in the final 3rd. His ball control is insane