• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

vzok

Cue trumpet blasts.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you a veritable transfer rumour. From out of left field it is said that Liverpool FC is interested in buying one Philipp Max aged 25 of Augsburg. Source is completely unreliable. Why 'Sport' would be reporting this I don't know but there it is.
(BBC gossip page)

Liverpool want Augsburg's German left-back Philipp Max, 25, as competition for Andy Robertson. (Sport - in Spanish)
Can’t believe we are only buying one Philipp Max.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
"entourage" is a) not an accurate translation, "team" would be closer, and b) a description given by a newspaper not by Max

Sounds like it could be a good signing to me.
Yeah, I'm not sure I get the hangup over what was probably just run through Google Translate in any case. Assuming it's true then it no doubt just refers to his agent.

I can't picture an uncapped left-back playing for an unfashionable German team, basically the Bundesliga equivalent of Southampton, trailing about the place with a mob of hangers-on like a celebrity hairdresser lol

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Oh, finally a new rumour. And.... I've posted already about him some weeks ago in the "who would you buy" thread.

Thinking about a leftback, Philipp Max /Augsburg would be a typical "Klopp transfer" . Pace, beautiful left foot, and most importantly, a very nice, hard working, down to earth guy imo. He would need some time to adept but that would be the case for every new signing anyway.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Oh, finally a new rumour. And.... I've posted already about him some weeks ago in the "who would you buy" thread.
Think I beat you to the punch by about two weeks

What about Philipp Max as someone who could offer cover for Robertson and also versatile to add depth elsewhere? Would probably cost around £20m?

I know nothing of him but transfermarkt suggested as a comparable player to Nico Schulz (who I was prompted to look at by the post in the summer transfer thread).

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Guys, I was last here a while ago saying we need to spend more.
we spent money and won the Champions League.
Now you’re all bending over backwards to say we don’t need to improve the squad whilst everyone else is.
How did the years before we spent the spent any money go?

It’s not a difficult decision. Spend and win, or rely on Jones, Woodburn etc. and win f*ck all.

We went out of both cups first round last year - something I was glad about cos I knew our squad wasn’t big enough. This year we have a Charity Shield, Super Cup and World Cup Championship as extra, we’ve lost Sturridge who played games and everyone thinks this squad can cope with that?

Does no one want to win a domestic cup? Without a bigger squad we will never challenge.

The ridiculous comments that suggest no one could get a game in our front three - they’ve all been playing all summer. How long can we flog them without a rest?

Please stop suggesting we don’t need anyone and let’s start considering what are we going to do with all the money pouring into the club unless we do.
Tone it down a bit with the valedictory bollocks. It never ends well.

If you read through relevant bits of the thread, you’ll see that the vast majority of people think we could do with a bit more depth, but accept it is hard to add to this squad and we’ll have to see what the summer brings.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
To be fair, I was thinking about this possible signing a couple of weeks before that, but I just didn’t get round to posting!
No one will ever top my robbo, Salah and Fabinho picks from over four years ago.

Or my pick of the litter, Trent Alexander.

Just wish I had of posted it at the time. Trust me though.....

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Guys, I was last here a while ago saying we need to spend more.
we spent money and won the Champions League.
Now you’re all bending over backwards to say we don’t need to improve the squad whilst everyone else is.
How did the years before we spent the spent any money go?

It’s not a difficult decision. Spend and win, or rely on Jones, Woodburn etc. and win f*ck all.

We went out of both cups first round last year - something I was glad about cos I knew our squad wasn’t big enough. This year we have a Charity Shield, Super Cup and World Cup Championship as extra, we’ve lost Sturridge who played games and everyone thinks this squad can cope with that?

Does no one want to win a domestic cup? Without a bigger squad we will never challenge.

The ridiculous comments that suggest no one could get a game in our front three - they’ve all been playing all summer. How long can we flog them without a rest?

Please stop suggesting we don’t need anyone and let’s start considering what are we going to do with all the money pouring into the club unless we do.
You were last here in September 2017 telling everyone what a shit transfer window we'd had.

Since then one of the players we signed that window won player of the year with a new PL scoring record, and got golden boot again this year, we've been to back-to-back CL finals, winning the most recent, got the third highest points in PL history, a player we tried to sign in 2017 joined us in January 2018, succeeded the previous player as player of the year and is arguably the best player in the world, certainly the best defender.

During these successes you posted nothing. Welcome back, thanks for the moan, looks like we're doing fine. Cheers.

Last edited:

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
I rate Rashford but he's never in that company and not a 'generational' talent. Sterling and Sancho are better, Brewster could be too.
I reckon a couple of years of development have been pissed up against a wall, too...

Pretty sub-par environment to be a professional footballer these past few years, for the supposedly 'biggest club' in the universe, no less.

Drubas

On a serious note, Swedish media are quoting an interview with James Miner, where Milner States that he approached Liverpool regarding an exterminator of the contract last year, and the answer was 'no'. Now the time is soon up and still nobody has contacted Milner about a new contract/extension.

Jaytinho

I rate Rashford but he's never in that company and not a 'generational' talent. Sterling and Sancho are better, Brewster could be too.
Honestly speaking, and I hate admitting it with him being a United player and all, but in terms of young English talent, Rashford is probably one of the most natural finishers Ive seen in a long time. With the right supply, that boy could easily be a 25+ striker a season. £250k a week is fuckn ridiculous tho

Sweeting

On a serious note, Swedish media are quoting an interview with James Miner, where Milner States that he approached Liverpool regarding an exterminator of the contract last year, and the answer was 'no'. Now the time is soon up and still nobody has contacted Milner about a new contract/extension.
Milner is highly valued but I don't think the club are going to buy him props from Doctor Who .

Dutch

Ad-free Member
I am starting to worry a little, we haven't signed anyone.Or am I worrying unnecessarily?
Shaqiri, Lallana, Keïta all injured. Salah, Firmino, Becker and Mané still on vacation and it will take 6 weeks for them after returning to be truly fit again. The CS is less than two weeks away and the start of the PL 4 days later.

We might start tose matches with Wilson-Origi/Brewster-Kent upfront so yes IMO you should be worried. We should have bought a top-notch attacker.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Shaqiri, Lallana, Keïta all injured. Salah, Firmino, Becker and Mané still on vacation and it will take 6 weeks for them after returning to be truly fit again. The CS is less than two weeks away and the start of the PL 4 days later.

We might start tose matches with Wilson-Origi/Brewster-Kent upfront so yes IMO you should be worried. We should have bought a top-notch attacker.
I think we will be fine. Salah and Becker will probably be back for the Norwich game if not earlier. I wouldnt be surprised if Mane started early too - probably wont need that much of a pre season if he has played non stop for 13 months - Klopp may give him a breather more frequently in the season to compensate.

Sweeting

At least three of those four will start against Norwich. Players don't take 6 weeks to get up to fitness these days - they're essentially doing pre-season with their national clubs and then get a couple of weeks off where they will still be on a strict diet and a tailored fitness regime given to them by Liverpool's conditioning coach.

BigJon

Team v Norwich

Alisson
TAA Gomez VVD Robertson
Henderson Fab Ox
Salah Firmino
Origi

Subs Mingo Brewster Milner Gini Matip Mane Wilson

Too Soon?

Dutch

Ad-free Member
At least three of those four will start against Norwich. Players don't take 6 weeks to get up to fitness these days - they're essentially doing pre-season with their national clubs and then get a couple of weeks off where they will still be on a strict diet and a tailored fitness regime given to them by Liverpool's conditioning coach.
For sure it will take longer than the 12 days they have before the Norwich match. It may be the end of august/beginning of September before they are truly fit and have some rhythm. Meanwhile, there is a big chance of injuries if they play in competitive matches not truly fit.

We simply don't have enough high-quality attackers. We lost the PL title to City and I did not see anyone coming in to make me believe we came closer/overtake them.