The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
You seem to be contradicting yourself. First you say that it was the right thing to do to wait for Van Dijk, but then you suggest that we should have signed one of the CB's "out there" and that they that would have had a similar impact to Van Dijk had we signed them. What CB's are these? Who would have been of a similar quality and would have been happy to sign for only 1 season before then be replaced by Van Dijk midseason? Do you really think we could have afforded Van Dijk's collosal transfer fee if part of that had been spent on someone else?

You also said "But for the chances of LFC achieving something in that season it wasn't.". Are you forgetting that we made it to the CL final that season? That alone makes it clear that it was worth waiting for Van Dijk instead of signing someone else for the first 3 months of the season.

We weren't in a position to challenge for the title that season either, and achieved the objective of Top 4 despite not signing another CB to cover the first 3 months.

My point here isn't to belittle you, in fact I think we agree on many things. Especially your comment that "If (and it is only an if) we land the player Klopp really wants after waiting for them it will probably be for the best in the long term. That doesn't mean we dont suffer in the short term."

Yes, it is a slight gamble to not have cover behind Mané this season at LW, but I'd rather take that risk and sign the PERFECT player next summer, rather than signing an inferior player now just for the sake of it, who would then become a hindrance to a future signing of said player. For example, imagine a situation where Sessegnon is available in January or next summer, but we've already signed some other inferior LW that hinders a move for Sessegnon.

Whatever the case, I think the scouting and recruitment team and Klopp have earned the right for us to be patient this summer, after a series of awesome transfer windows and the CL win. They clearly know what they're doing.
I think you are misunderstanding me.

It was the right thing to do to wait and bring VvD in.

That doesn't mean we didn't suffer that season by waiting.

Maybe if we had brought someone else in instead of VvD we still make the CL final, win a cup and finish 2nd?

But long term it's better to take the pain of that season and get the right guy.

That's why I'm saying it's not wrong to discuss the issues the squad will have this season just because it's what is best in the long term (and only then if we do actually land the player we wait for).

This season we will be harming our chances of competing for and winning top honours by not bringing someone in who is starting quality.

We have the money and the room in the squad we wont harm ourselves by bringing them in.

If we dont bring them in we might still win things, we might be lucky (again) with injuries and everyone will laugh at those of us making a fuss.

But it seems like the club are taking a risk every summer at the moment.

There is absolutely no reason why we can't fit another top forward in. If there was then why would we be waiting for one for next summer?

Can we cope without one? Yes, providing we are lucky with injuries and either some academy kids develop well or we go out of side competitions early.

That's gambling. That's taking risks. I dont like it. The club is making ridiculous money and declaring massive profits we dont have to gamble like this.

If the shit hits the fan and say Robertson and Mane pick up Ox and Brewster style injuries do people think we will still get 90+ points, CL final etc again?

We depend on specific players availability and its sods law itll bite us in the ass.

Will we be as attractive next summer as we are this if things have gone wrong and we have a blip?

If you keep waiting for tomorrow then tomorrow may never come. Those players we might hold fire on now to spend big on next season may move to Barca and Real Madrid instead. What do we do then?

I feel like sometimes we may have this mentality come back and bite us in the ass. This seems like it could be one of those occasions and I'm worried. We took gambles with our front three with rubbish depth for a couple of seasons now. Every year the chances of it backfiring increase. This year is the one when we should have kicked on and sorted it.

We've almost no other needs, even left back can wait if it has to, huge money made by the club, we've never been as appealing, room in the squad, real positive buzz for the team to bounce into next season with and we have other clubs running scared. The mentality on recruitment should have been "we cannot fail to take advantage of this perfect storm and establish ourselves as a force, we get the best option we possibly can and we make this our year"! Not "well let's not over commit here, let's do the ground work on the right target and if they are available now great if not let's wait till they are, we can cope"!

Let's not forget that Robertson and Salah were guys put forward by the recruitment team when pursuits of original targets failed and we needed alternatives. It's not like its VvD vs Johnny Evans when it comes to our transfer business.

Red over the water

Edit, to Mascot’s point:

Exactly! The approach we have taken is fair. I’d like to see it continue. There’s also evidence that it is helping us sign other highly rated youngsters.

It would be interesting to see a team stocked with Klavan’s and Lambert’s play a team stocked with Hoever’s and Elliot’s. The auld arses might well win it on the day (or perhaps not, as it would be close) but over time we would see a few from the young side making the grade and becoming world class players for Liverpool, whereas none of the auld arse team would ever hit those heights.

We are on the right lines. We just have to accept that the luck of the draw might play a part, but even if we get a tough draw, our kids are getting so good that they might well prevail anyway.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Edit, to Mascot’s point:

Exactly! The approach we have taken is fair. I’d like to see it continue. There’s also evidence that it is helping us sign other highly rated youngsters.

It would be interesting to see a team stocked with Klavan’s and Lambert’s play a team stocked with Hoever’s and Elliot’s. The auld arses might well win it on the day (or perhaps not, as it would be close) but over time we would see a few from the young side making the grade and becoming world class players for Liverpool, whereas none of the auld arse team would ever hit those heights.

We are on the right lines. We just have to accept that the luck of the draw might play a part, but even if we get a tough draw, our kids are getting so good that they might well prevail anyway.
We actually only started 2 kids against Wolves (Camacho and Jones) and none against Chelsea.

Richard88

Maybe if we had brought someone else in instead of VvD we still make the CL final, win a cup and finish 2nd?

But long term it's better to take the pain of that season and get the right guy.

That's why I'm saying it's not wrong to discuss the issues the squad will have this season just because it's what is best in the long term (and only then if we do actually land the player we wait for).

This season we will be harming our chances of competing for and winning top honours by not bringing someone in who is starting quality.

We have the money and the room in the squad we wont harm ourselves by bringing them in.

If we dont bring them in we might still win things, we might be lucky (again) with injuries and everyone will laugh at those of us making a fuss.

But it seems like the club are taking a risk every summer at the moment.

There is absolutely no reason why we can't fit another top forward in. If there was then why would we be waiting for one for next summer?

Can we cope without one? Yes, providing we are lucky with injuries and either some academy kids develop well or we go out of side competitions early.

That's gambling. That's taking risks. I dont like it. The club is making ridiculous money and declaring massive profits we dont have to gamble like this.

If the shit hits the fan and say Robertson and Mane pick up Ox and Brewster style injuries do people think we will still get 90+ points, CL final etc again?

We depend on specific players availability and its sods law itll bite us in the ass.

Will we be as attractive next summer as we are this if things have gone wrong and we have a blip?

If you keep waiting for tomorrow then tomorrow may never come. Those players we might hold fire on now to spend big on next season may move to Barca and Real Madrid instead. What do we do then?

I feel like sometimes we may have this mentality come back and bite us in the ass. This seems like it could be one of those occasions and I'm worried. We took gambles with our front three with rubbish depth for a couple of seasons now. Every year the chances of it backfiring increase. This year is the one when we should have kicked on and sorted it.

We've almost no other needs, even left back can wait if it has to, huge money made by the club, we've never been as appealing, room in the squad, real positive buzz for the team to bounce into next season with and we have other clubs running scared. The mentality on recruitment should have been "we cannot fail to take advantage of this perfect storm and establish ourselves as a force, we get the best option we possibly can and we make this our year"! Not "well let's not over commit here, let's do the ground work on the right target and if they are available now great if not let's wait till they are, we can cope"!

Let's not forget that Robertson and Salah were guys put forward by the recruitment team when pursuits of original targets failed and we needed alternatives. It's not like its VvD vs Johnny Evans when it comes to our transfer business.
Again, you're contradicting yourself.

First you say:
  • "It was the right thing to do to wait and bring VvD in."... and
  • "long term it's better to take the pain of that season and get the right guy."
Then you say:
  • "That's gambling. That's taking risks. I dont like it."
So, is "gambling" by waiting for the right player the right thing to do, or isn't it?!

You then say:
  • "There is absolutely no reason why we can't fit another top forward in. If there was then why would we be waiting for one for next summer?
The reason for waiting until next summer would quite clearly be to get the right player. Which you agreed is the right thing to do when you said "But long term it's better to take the pain of that season and get the right guy."......... Or maybe "That's gambling. That's taking risks. I dont like it.". Either way, you seem to be in two minds on this matter.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
We experienced very real short term pain for the long term gain of getting the right man in the form of VvD.

Our form for the first half of the season was shocking and we limped through to January when the arrival of VvD completely transformed us.

For the long term benefit of LFC this was the right thing to do. But for the chances of LFC achieving something in that season it wasn't. There were CBs out there that would have had a good impact over the 12 months as VvD did over 6.

This is what we are probably faced with in attack now. If (and it is only an if) we land the player Klopp really wants after waiting for them it will probably be for the best in the long term. That doesn't mean we dont suffer in the short term.

This is the issue we have right now in this transfer window,admittitedly we've made money over the past couple of seasons but we don't have a bottomless pit of it,we still need to be savy in our spending,getting value for money and making sure we stay within FFP rules at the same time,so there's also a limit on how many top class player fee's and wages we can afford,so if we do sign someone,it has to be 100% right.

This transfer window atm,we aren't seeing any deals worth the money we'd have to spend to bring in class players,that will push our first 11 or take their place,without going into £100mill+ deals.Klopp would rather work with the players he has at his disposal or youth,to make them better rather than spend much needed cash (possibly being saved for next summer) on a half tidy player just for squad depth,who could come in and take awhile to settle in or possibly not be good enough,we'd end up having wasted much needed funds,wages stuck on our books and deadwood we'd lose money on and have problems shifting in the future.

Paitience is the key here,has been since day one of Klopps tenure,i can't talk for everyone but i gave him 3-4 years to fix this club and start winning things and get us back to where we belong,we now need to give them time to fix this next part of the team building process.There's so many things to factor in and the juggling job that needs to be done to get it right is probably mind blowing.Everything thats been done by Klopp has been for the long term and look where thats got us 4 years in,i'd hate us to start cutting corners and doing short term fixes and end up with a squad like United,lets take our time and buy the right players for the squad and end up with class,rather than short term fixes and end up with crap.

Richard88

We actually only started 2 kids against Wolves (Camacho and Jones) and none against Chelsea.
Hoever came on after like 5 mins against Wolves so effectively also got a full game, though it was admittedly not planned given that Lovren went off injured and there were no other CB's on the bench.

That said, if you consider the lineup below which is a fully-rotated XI, we'd have a similar situation with 2-3 youngsters starting in the cups (i.e. Hoever, Brewster, plus maybe Larouci, Jones, and/or Wilson if we draw lower-league teams). That amount, in my opinion, is the ideal number of youngsters to play if you want to be competitive in those competitions while still giving opportunities to your younger guys.

--------------------- Mignolet ----------------------
Hoever ------ Matip -------- Lovren -------- Milner
--------------------- Henderson --------------------
--------------- Ox ------------- Lallana -------------
Shaqiri -------------- Origi -------------- Brewster

Last edited:

Kopstar

★★★★★★

You realise that the period we spent "getting by" before we got Virgil we had only exited the League Cup. We were in 3rd, with 47 points from 23 games, GD of +26, 15 points off City who we had just inflicted their first defeat of the season. We were 3 points off second. Virgil then came into the team and we got beaten by Swansea. We finished the season 4th with 75 points from 38 games, GD of +46, 25 points off City.

So that season, before Virgil, we "got by" with average points/game of 2.04, averaging 2.35 goals for, 1.22 goals against seeing us sit in 3rd place. Afterwards we averaged 1.87 points/game, averaging 2 goals for, 0.67 goals against that saw us drop down to 4th and 6 points off second.

I'm not arguing Virgil made us weaker - I'm arguing that the club knew what it was doing when it decided to wait.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Again, you're contradicting yourself.

First you say:
  • "It was the right thing to do to wait and bring VvD in."... and
  • "long term it's better to take the pain of that season and get the right guy."
Then you say:
  • "That's gambling. That's taking risks. I dont like it."
So, is "gambling" by waiting for the right player the right thing to do, or isn't it?!

You then say:
  • "There is absolutely no reason why we can't fit another top forward in. If there was then why would we be waiting for one for next summer?
The reason for waiting until next summer would quite clearly be to get the right player. Which you agreed is the right thing to do when you said "But long term it's better to take the pain of that season and get the right guy."......... Or maybe "That's gambling. That's taking risks. I dont like it.". Either way, you seem to be in two minds on this matter.
If (and I dont think everyone realises it is an if) we bring the right player in after waiting then, long term, it's the right thing. But it's not always going to happen like that. Sometimes we will wait and not get the right guy. We end up having to get an alternative anyway which means we waited for nothing. I dont like the waiting and going through the pain of going without. It only makes sense in a VvD style situation when we do land the right guy and they have a huge impact and even then I didn't enjoy the "coping" we did for the first half of that season. I'm a fan of Keita but I dont think waiting a year for him has really helped us so far. Our recruitment team is good and does come up with good alternatives when the main target is no longer possible. As shown with Salah and Robertson.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
You realise that the period we spent "getting by" before we got Virgil we had only exited the League Cup. We were in 3rd, with 47 points from 23 games, GD of +26, 15 points off City who we had just inflicted their first defeat of the season. We were 3 points off second. Virgil then came into the team and we got beaten by Swansea. We finished the season 4th with 75 points from 38 games, GD of +46, 25 points off City.

So that season, before Virgil, we "got by" with average points/game of 2.04, averaging 2.35 goals for, 1.22 goals against seeing us sit in 3rd place. Afterwards we averaged 1.87 points/game, averaging 2 goals for, 0.67 goals against that saw us drop down to 4th and 6 points off second.

I'm not arguing Virgil made us weaker - I'm arguing that the club knew what it was doing when it decided to wait.
We really tailed off towards the end of the season because we didn't have the squad strength to cope with the champions league later stages and the league games. Would have looked a lot more impressive otherwise.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Hoever came on after like 5 mins against Wolves so effectively also got a full game, though it was admittedly not planned given that Lovren went off injured and there were no other CB's on the bench.

That said, if you consider the lineup below which is a fully-rotated XI, we'd have a similar situation with 2-3 youngsters starting in the cups (i.e. Hoever, Brewster, plus maybe Larouci, Jones, and/or Wilson if we draw lower-league teams). That amount, in my opinion, is the ideal number of youngsters to play if you want to be competitive in those competitions while still giving opportunities to your younger guys.

--------------------- Mignolet ----------------------
Hoever ------ Matip -------- Lovren -------- Milner
--------------------- Henderson --------------------
--------------- Ox ------------- Lallana -------------
Shaqiri -------------- Origi -------------- Brewster
People were talking like we fielded a team full of kids in both games. We started 2 in one game and none in the other.

Richard88

If (and I dont think everyone realises it is an if) we bring the right player in after waiting then, long term, it's the right thing. But it's not always going to happen like that. Sometimes we will wait and not get the right guy. We end up having to get an alternative anyway which means we waited for nothing. I dont like the waiting and going through the pain of going without. It only makes sense in a VvD style situation when we do land the right guy and they have a huge impact and even then I didn't enjoy the "coping" we did for the first half of that season. I'm a fan of Keita but I dont think waiting a year for him has really helped us so far. Our recruitment team is good and does come up with good alternatives when the main target is no longer possible. As shown with Salah and Robertson.
It could also be that the "waiting a year" doesn't have to do with getting the right player, but rather, adding a player at the right time for our squad.

Either way, Klopp apparently seems happy with the squad he has now, and would rather wait another year before adding someone of significance on the left.

I do agree with you that a LW addition would be nice, we just disagree on the urgency of it. I think it needs to happen by next summer to line up a long-term replacement for Mané, whereas you think it needs to happen this summer already. Either of which are valid viewpoints. :)

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Sure. Absolutely. I completely agree there is room for another forward.

You seem to have the same opinion I do about the recruitment team - they know what they are doing, and can pull out good deals (like Salah, Robertson).

I doubt very much money is an issue, and I also doubt if the right player was there, Klopp wouldn’t want him.

So why don’t we seem likely to sign a forward?

Maybe it the opinion of the manager we revere, and the recruitment team we admire, that the right player isn’t available.

Or maybe the players we are identifying are swerving us because our front three are so good they don’t see a way through.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
It could also be that the "waiting a year" doesn't have to do with getting the right player, but rather, adding a player at the right time for our squad.

Either way, Klopp apparently seems happy with the squad he has now, and would rather wait another year before adding someone of significance on the left.

I do agree with you that a LW addition would be nice, we just disagree on the urgency of it. I think it needs to happen by next summer to line up a long-term replacement for Mané, whereas you think it needs to happen this summer already. Either of which are valid viewpoints.

I think this summer is the right time and we know the club has been trying to do something so I think they do too. The way the club works it identifies a need and tries to fill it. If the player isn't available now but will be they will wait. But that doesn't change the fact there is a need to fill. Your way of looking at it only makes sense if someone is leaving next summer. If there is no room now and nobody significant leaves then there would be no room then either. In CM we have Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum and Ox all with legit shouts of being a "starter" for 3 positions! If Keita had worked out better he would be too. In attack we have 3 for 3 positions. Why are people reluctant to have the same level of cover for attack as CM? I dont understand it. Attack is (traditionally) were you would make the most subs as well to keep your players fresh, chase games or put games to bed.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I think this summer is the right time and we know the club has been trying to do something so I think they do too. The way the club works it identifies a need and tries to fill it. If the player isn't available now but will be they will wait. But that doesn't change the fact there is a need to fill. Your way of looking at it only makes sense if someone is leaving next summer. If there is no room now and nobody significant leaves then there would be no room then either. In CM we have Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum and Ox all with legit shouts of being a "starter" for 3 positions! If Keita had worked out better he would be too. In attack we have 3 for 3 positions. Why are people reluctant to have the same level of cover for attack as CM? I dont understand it. Attack is (traditionally) were you would make the most subs as well to keep your players fresh, chase games or put games to bed.
For fucks sake.

Nobody is against a bit more forward depth.

Some people a sanguine that it might not be possible, for a variety of reasons.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
We really tailed off towards the end of the season because we didn't have the squad strength to cope with the champions league later stages and the league games. Would have looked a lot more impressive otherwise.

When you say tailed off towards the end of the season,what are you measuring that against? how Man City looked/coped in that same run in?

Apart from it being the end of a long season,we had players out injured sure (as do most clubs during that time of year) but we still powered past United,Arsenal,Chelsea and Spurs and went 16 games unbeaten in all competitions (apart from Barca in the 1st leg semi),we matched Man City all the way in the league and bettered them in the CL,with a real squad put together within FFP rules.

The point i'm making is,for us to get a squad equivolent to Man City and as strong to compete in all comps,without worrying about depth for us to compete neck and neck with,isn't going to happen.We shouldn't be using them as a measuring stick,we simply can't for financial reasons and if we want to carry on playing CL,we keep doing it our way.

Red over the water

Yep, I’m not aware of anyone who doesn’t think we need another forward, with most saying a wide forward is most needed.

Beyond that, we are trying to see the ‘working’ if we don’t sign such a player, and we are noting the merits of Brewster and Origi, while also saying if we don’t get a forward now, it’s because we are keeping our powder dry to go BIG when such a deal is possible. The most fanciful is Mbappe 2020 in some sort of Nike type of deal to coincide with our kit manufacturer possibly changing. But I’ve also seen a rumor about a Keita-type deal for Sancho, leaving him in Dortmund for another year but sorting the deal out now.

The argument has now moved on a step further, with many people thinking that even a fast, wide forward - even if not top drawer yet - would still be welcome, with Kent likely not making it, and perhaps Wilson too. So names like Cornet and Chuckwueze are coming into consideration, even if they are still raw.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
When you say tailed off towards the end of the season,what are you measuring that against? how Man City looked/coped in that same run in?

Apart from it being the end of a long season,we had players out injured sure (as do most clubs during that time of year) but we still powered past United,Arsenal,Chelsea and Spurs and went 16 games unbeaten in all competitions (apart from Barca in the 1st leg semi),we matched Man City all the way in the league and bettered them in the CL,with a real squad put together within FFP rules.

The point i'm making is,for us to get a squad equivolent to Man City and as strong to compete in all comps,without worrying about depth for us to compete neck and neck with,isn't going to happen.We shouldn't be using them as a measuring stick,we simply can't for financial reasons and if we want to carry on playing CL,we keep doing it our way.
Different season. He's saying we tailed off in 17/18 after we added the depth he said we were missing in the first half. ;)

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member

None of us are reluctant to have front 3 cover in attack like our CM but we need to find forwards with the skill set, team ethic and goal scoring prowess of Mane/Salah who are more like Attacking Midfielders/Wingers/Forwards,these types of players are a pretty rare breed and worth money we can't afford to spend to sit on the bench.

Richard88

Regarding the bolded bit, that's not true. I think a LW could be added to this current squad without anyone leaving. But I also think the current squad is strong enough to cope for another season without one - though obviously I'd prefer if the club managed to sign the "right" LW already this summer.

In any case, next summer both Lallana and Milner's contracts expire, so Keita will then presumably be relied upon more in CM than on the left, thereby making it more urgent to sign a LW then to take on any minutes Keita gets on the left in a 4231.

As for your other comments, nobody here is "reluctant" to have the same cover in attack as CM. Rather, most people just seem to be conscious that the club probably haven't identified someone that (a) fits the team; (b) is available this summer; and (c) is available at a reasonable price.

Lastly, regarding impact subs, don't you think Origi did a fine job in that role last season? I mean, he scored late winners against Everton, Newcastle, and Barcelona. Overall Origi had a goal or assist every 84.1 minutes he was on the pitch last season. Is that not a good output for a squad forward?

rab

I think part of this depth discussion, particularly with regards to the front three depends on who Klopp currently sees as being capable to cover.

We're not going to spend £70m on Pepe to rotate or back up Salah. It's just not going to happen because of how much both will want to play. We could go and spend £25m on someone like Cornet, Bergwijn or Saint-Maxin (to pick three names linked with us) but whose to say any of those are better than Wilson for example or playing AOC there for a few games?

If Klopp thinks he has that option with the players he has in the squad then I can kind of see that. If week one Salah picked up an injury and was out for the season then yes, we'd be screwed but so would most teams if they lost their best player. You can't have someone of a similar level just in case.

Where I am concerned is left back. We've one senior left footed full back. They are integral to everything we do going forward. Milner or Larouci for the odd game here or there is fine but the difference between them and Robbo is huge and it's far harder to make up for what he offers with the players around him.

richieh10

Alves on a free ticks quite a few boxes for me.

Yes he is the wrong age but seriously feel he could be another McCallister

Richard88

Someone in the Rawk accountancy thread posted this today, and I thought it would be relevant to share here given the current discussion about whether or not we should sign a LW this window...
Time to suggest that we might be short of cash this year.

In early spring Klopp mentioned needing to go far in Europe for signings... now he’s alluded to having to limit our spending.

Not surprising I guess, we spent a huge sum last year and we seem to mostly pay over two years. As such we will be paying the second hefty instalment of lots of deals. I’m also guessing that we hit lots along additional payments by winning the CL

Plus we are spending £50m on a new training complex. Is this paid for with a loan or cash?

We’ve now lost Clyne as an asset we can sell too.

I suspect we are cash poor... even if we turn a big profit this year. Next year will be better for cash as we will have paid out most of the deals.
With that in mind I think it makes sense why Klopp is sticking with what he has and focussing on only bringing in young guys instead.

The option to raise funds for a big £60-70m signing probably would have been there this summer IF Klopp had been happy to sell some squad players like Mignolet (~£10m), Clyne (~£10m), Lallana (~£15m), Grujic (~£20m), Wilson (~£20m), Kent (~£5-10m), etc. However, the thinking is probably that the squad depth is stronger this season with some of those guys rather than with just one other LW addition. Grujic having another good season on loan should also hopefully increase his price tag next season.

JMac8

(Insert face palm) Hard to know where to start here but let’s go with....Keita actually does have a “legit shout” of being a starter

richieh10

Not sure if he’s going to be happy sitting on the bench too damn much.
There is that but but at this stage in his career to sign for European Champions he has to be realistic.

He could cover both positions, has a wealth of knowledge and experience and is a true winner. Integration into the squad should be fine as we have Brazilians aplenty