• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Of course we need someone, of course we need new players in the squad. The contention here who we or Klopp thinks are good enough to be those "new players". He thinks Brewster and Ox and players like Lallana to be good enough to replace those gone. He specifically mentioned a need to might buy someone at LB. He is stubborn at times or you can call it principled. But after the season he had, who are we not to trust him?

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
For sure it will take longer than the 12 days they have before the Norwich match. It may be the end of august/beginning of September before they are truly fit and have some rhythm. Meanwhile, there is a big chance of injuries if they play in competitive matches not truly fit.

We simply don't have enough high-quality attackers. We lost the PL title to City and I did not see anyone coming in to make me believe we came closer/overtake them.
Whilst i agree we should sign a forward I think you are possibly blowing this fitness aspect out of proportion.

The players you have mentioned have mostly played the entire off season. They havent been on the couch scoffing maccas and downing beers, they have been following the off season plans our fitness team gave them and will still be ultra fit. TBH given how much many of them have played they probably need rest more than anything at this point.

Seems to me Klopp wanted to give Origi and Brewster there chance before buying and both have had an excellent preseason. Theyve earned their chance so im less worried about signing a forward than I was two weeks ago. Still like a lb to support Robbo though

Brital

You were last here in September 2017 telling everyone what a shit transfer window we'd had.

Since then one of the players we signed that window won player of the year with a new PL scoring record, and got golden boot again this year, we've been to back-to-back CL finals, winning the most recent, got the third highest points in PL history, a player we tried to sign in 2017 joined us in January 2018, succeeded the previous player as player of the year and is arguably the best player in the world, certainly the best defender.
During these successes you posted nothing. Welcome back, thanks for the moan, looks like we're doing fine. Cheers.
I said our squad wasn’t strong enough in 2017. 20+ points behind City and although Klopp performed miracles to get us to the CL final we were running on fumes and unfortunately couldn’t get across the line. Our bench for the final was embarrassing for a club of our size.
Last year the club finally acted and look at the result.

All of the above merely confirms my arguments as valid. At what point do you question your stance?
If you remember I was threatened with expulsion for questioning the lack of ambition, hence my absence.
I didn’t feel the need to come on here one upping after the 2018 final.
But it’s fantasy to think this squad is big enough and good enough for the 5 competitions and Charity Shield and Super Cup.

I hope the club have something big planned for the final few weeks cos if we haven’t you can forget doing anything this year. City will not be worried about Wilson, Kent etc. And they will have to play or be on the bench cos the likes of Shaqiri, Lallana, Keita are perennial injuries.

Maybe they’re stockpiling funds for next year but it’s puzzling to say the least. The best always strengthen from a position of strength.

I will now go back into hibernation so you can flame me to your hearts content, but it won’t change the precarious position we are in at this moment - hopefully things will change over the next fortnight.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
[
I said our squad wasn’t strong enough in 2017. 20+ points behind City and although Klopp performed miracles to get us to the CL final we were running on fumes and unfortunately couldn’t get across the line. Our bench for the final was embarrassing for a club of our size.

All of the above merely confirms my arguments as valid. At what point do you question your stance?
If you remember I was threatened with expulsion for questioning the lack of ambition, hence my absence.
But it’s fantasy to think this squad is big enough and good enough for the 5 competitions and Charity Shield and Super Cup.

I hope the club have something big planned for the final few weeks cos if we haven’t you can forget doing anything this year. City will not be worried about Wilson, Kent etc. And they will have to play or be on the bench cos the likes of Shaqiri, Lallana, Keita are perennial injuries.

Maybe they’re stockpiling funds for next year but it’s puzzling to say the least. The best always strengthen from a position of strength.

I will now go back into hibernation so you can flame me to your hearts content, but it won’t change the precarious position we are in at this moment - hopefully things will change over the next fortnight.
You’re the kind of Chicken Little kneejerker that would have had us sign Johnny Evans when Van Dijk fell through. I don’t know how you’ve got the brass neck to claim reflected glory in Klopp’s achievements - a manager who’s ethos is the complete opposite of yours.

The club is in a position of strength right now because it has spent the last three years acting shrewdly, spending only when necessary and making sure the player is right for the club - to the point of waiting it out if necessary.

I’d like that to continue, and if the club do nothing before August 9th it won’t be through contentment or complacency. It will be because in the opinion of the recruitment team, on who’s work so much of our success has been based, the right player isn’t available.

JMac8

Question- At what point do you question your stance?
Answer- When you believe that champions of Europe and our best ever points total in league = a precarious position

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
I would like us to sign some new players, not least because adding new players helps freshen up the squad, adds competition, increases depth, allows for rotation (if they're good enough) etc etc but I'm also on board with the view that the squad will improve naturally, because players improve as individuals. If we had an ageing squad then I would be extremely concerned by the lack of movement in the transfer market but the contrary is the case; we have a squad where the majority of our key players are nearing or entering their 'peak' years. The BBC did an article on this at the beginning of last month but they only focused on a few clubs (afaik), including Liverpool:

It shows that of our 11 most used players in the league last year, 1 might be deemed a prospect (TAA), 9 are in their 'peak' years (24-30) with only 1 (past their prime?) in Milner at 33.

That's an extremely healthy position to be in. The ages of our first 11 (Alisson, Robertson, VvD, Fabinho, TAA, Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Mane, Firmino, Salah - based on minutes in the PL) are:

20, 25, 25, 26, 27, 27, 27, 28, 28, 29, and 33 (average age 26.8yrs).

But what about for City?

They have 1 who might be deemed a prospect (Sane, who wants to leave), 7 in their 'peak' years, with 3 past their prime (Aguero, David Silva, and Fernandinho).

That's not great, particularly when the three 'past their prime' are such key players for them (albeit D Silva on the wane).

The ages of their first 11 (Ederson, Laporte, Stones, Walker, D Silva, Fernandinho, Gundogan, B Silva, Sane, Aguero, Sterling - based on minutes in the PL) are:

23, 24, 25, 25, 25, 25, 28, 29, 31, 33, and 34 (average age 27.5yrs).

They need to be thinking about replacing D Silva, Ageuro and Fernandinho (not to mention Kompany). So far they've only brought in Rodri and who knows whether he can do an adequate Fernandinho imitation?

Milner just about scraped into our top 11 players (based on % minutes played last season) but with AOC hopefully being able to play this season, Fabinho being involved from the beginning and Keita hopefully more integrated, he's very unlikely to feature in more than 50% of PL minutes this season. Can City say the same about Aguero and David Silva?

I do think the natural progression of players should mean that our team is even better this year than last year without any additions and that based purely on organic growth I expect us to improve more than City. However, I'd still like to make some additions - providing they're the right players and their valuations aren't absurd. In that regard I have full confidence in Klopp and his team.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Seems to me Klopp wanted to give Origi and Brewster there chance before buying and both have had an excellent preseason. Theyve earned their chance so im less worried about signing a forward than I was two weeks ago. Still like a lb to support Robbo though
I truly hope it is enough but I don't think it is to overtake City, time will tell though.

phnaarg

TIA Youth Team
I would like us to sign some new players, not least because adding new players helps freshen up the squad, adds competition, increases depth, allows for rotation (if they're good enough) etc etc but I'm also on board with the view that the squad will improve naturally, because players improve as individuals. If we had an ageing squad then I would be extremely concerned by the lack of movement in the transfer market but the contrary is the case; we have a squad where the majority of our key players are nearing or entering their 'peak' years. The BBC did an article on this at the beginning of last month but they only focused on a few clubs (afaik), including Liverpool:

It shows that of our 11 most used players in the league last year, 1 might be deemed a prospect (TAA), 9 are in their 'peak' years (24-30) with only 1 (past their prime?) in Milner at 33.

That's an extremely healthy position to be in. The ages of our first 11 (Alisson, Robertson, VvD, Fabinho, TAA, Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Mane, Firmino, Salah - based on minutes in the PL) are:

But what about for City?

They have 1 who might be deemed a prospect (Sane, who wants to leave), 7 in their 'peak' years, with 3 past their prime (Aguero, David Silva, and Fernandinho).

That's not great, particularly when the three 'past their prime' are such key players for them (albeit D Silva on the wane).

The ages of their first 11 (Ederson, Laporte, Stones, Walker, D Silva, Fernandinho, Gundogan, B Silva, Sane, Aguero, Sterling - based on minutes in the PL) are:

They need to be thinking about replacing D Silva, Ageuro and Fernandinho (not to mention Kompany). So far they've only brought in Rodri and who knows whether he can do an adequate Fernandinho imitation?

Milner just about scraped into our top 11 players (based on % minutes played last season) but with AOC hopefully being able to play this season, Fabinho being involved from the beginning and Keita hopefully more integrated, he's very unlikely to feature in more than 50% of PL minutes this season. Can City say the same about Aguero and David Silva?

I do think the natural progression of players should mean that our team is even better this year than last year without any additions and that based purely on organic growth I expect us to improve more than City. However, I'd still like to make some additions - providing they're the right players and their valuations aren't absurd. In that regard I have full confidence in Klopp and his team.
the only potential issue is that ox aside (and maybe lallana) we were very fortunate with injuries last season, and there's no guarantee that will continue to be the case. Our squad is on the thin side in terms of quality, and there's quite a marked drop-off in quality when you go beyond the first 13 or 14 players. There's an argument that especially for the front 3 we need more quality in reserve...but I suspect Klopp could make up for it by adapting the way we play.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
the only potential issue is that ox aside (and maybe lallana) we were very fortunate with injuries last season, and there's no guarantee that will continue to be the case. Our squad is on the thin side in terms of quality, and there's quite a marked drop-off in quality when you go beyond the first 13 or 14 players. There's an argument that especially for the front 3 we need more quality in reserve...but I suspect Klopp could make up for it by adapting the way we play.
We had more injuries to our first team players than City did. It's difficult to determine 'luck' when it comes to injuries though (we've explored this can of worms before). But to what extent are we lucky or simply employing the most advanced training, conditioning, nutrition and fitness regimes? Was being without AOC for the entire season lucky? Was having one of our first choice CBs out for almost half the season, lucky? Was missing Salah and Firmino against Barcelona lucky? Was having Keita injured sporadically and particularly just as he showed signs of positive integration lucky? Was it lucky that Robertson was injured at home against Barcelona? Was missing Trent for a few games lucky?

City had less injuries than we did and were, arguably, lucky that those injuries (particularly to Fernandinho) occurred over runs of particularly easy games.

I do agree that we need to add more quality to the squad but it needs to be the right players, which may even mean overlooking the best of those who might otherwise be available. That's where the risk comes in for me (passing up good players because the players we really want we'll wait for) but as with VvD, those are the decisions that Klopp and Edwards get paid the big money for.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I'm actually a big fan of Max's style of play. He is one of the most underrated LB on the planet playing in a very uneven and inconsistent Augsburg side. I don't necessarily believe these links but if true it would be an amazing transfer for LFC at 18/20M. I can't believe other clubs wouldn't be in at that price.

phnaarg

TIA Youth Team
We had more injuries to our first team players than City did. It's difficult to determine 'luck' when it comes to injuries though (we've explored this can of worms before). But to what extent are we lucky or simply employing the most advanced training, conditioning, nutrition and fitness regimes? Was being without AOC for the entire season lucky? Was having one of our first choice CBs out for almost half the season, lucky? Was missing Salah and Firmino against Barcelona lucky? Was having Keita injured sporadically and particularly just as he showed signs of positive integration lucky? Was it lucky that Robertson was injured at home against Barcelona? Was missing Trent for a few games lucky?

City had less injuries than we did and were, arguably, lucky that those injuries (particularly to Fernandinho) occurred over runs of particularly easy games.

I do agree that we need to add more quality to the squad but it needs to be the right players, which may even mean overlooking the best of those who might otherwise be available. That's where the risk comes in for me (passing up good players because the players we really want we'll wait for) but as with VvD, those are the decisions that Klopp and Edwards get paid the big money for.
Points very well made and taken. The luck element I guess is that we did have adequate squad cover for all those injuries as and when they occurred, so the impact was limited. The one notable exception being Robbo, but we coped adequately. For our world-class front 3 though we don't have cover of anywhere near a similar standard. Also with the full-backs one could argue we've got away with a game of russian roulette there for a season in a sense. Is it worth the risk to play russian roulette again? You're right these are the decisions the management get paid the big bucks to make and they've earned our trust even should any decision not pay off....but it'll be interesting to see how they choose to play it.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Is Philipp Max the modern day Bastian Oczipka? Sounds like another someone who nobody saw play, but has a lot of assists, so must be good by default.
Football is all about numbers, you don't have to watch the player these days, just play them computer games to simulate the numbers. Win, and you buy them..... at least that's what I've been told. ;-)

LFCFFC

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Tease and Bascombe go so well together, especially with his mouse-voice.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Football is all about numbers, you don't have to watch the player these days, just play them computer games to simulate the numbers. Win, and you buy them..... at least that's what I've been told.
The Twitter crowd arguing over prospects is the worst. "Who is Better" style debates. Currently it's all the rage to opine who is better Brewster or Greenwood. Even more sad, the concrete and convicted opinions people have over said players that have played zero minutes of meaningful senior level football and having watched zero point zero minutes of them at youth level. Yet, everyone is a qualified scout. **palms face**

Red over the water

It's a tidbit, but not very specific. It says "plan to" which may or may not happen. Then it says "first-team signing" which is also not very specific. Does it mean a first team signing who will be on the fringes, but still considered first team? Or does it mean an irresistible signing who starts most games when he is fit? And what position are we talking about?

Still, since it's been a lean summer on the transfer front, I'm latching onto this!

rab

He's such a tease. Also the most 'trusted' Liverpool journalist I rate the least. Hope he's right this time.
Just the one mind. Question is, if that is true what position are we buying for, left back or wide forward because those are the only two I can think of.

Left back would very much be an Andy Robbo back up so I'm thinking someone to rotate up top is more likely to be it. And if that player hadn't been at the Copa America or the AFCON then surely they'd be here by now.

Powers of deduction therefore suggest we're buying Pepe.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
The Twitter crowd arguing over prospects is the worst. "Who is Better" style debates. Currently it's all the rage to opine who is better Brewster or Greenwood. Even more sad, the concrete and convicted opinions people have over said players that have played zero minutes of meaningful senior level football and having watched zero point zero minutes of them at youth level. Yet, everyone is a qualified scout. **palms face**
Not confined to twitter alone, have you taken a stroll into our very own "Who would you buy?" thread? Or even this one.... the difference is, we've got moderators that steps in, twitter is free for all.

scouseheadross

Septical

But what about for City?

Yes I posted that article a while back! Shows what good shape we're in and that there is a very clear strategy.

In immediate terms though, even if something happens late on, Klopp would likely take a couple of months to blood a new Pepe.

So I think we have to have faith in a couple of these kids coming through to ease the early season nnerves. Or maybe square pegs in round holes. Brave call by Klopp if there's money to spend. What a guy.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
If it's one first team signing it could be a toss up - but on the face of it I think he may go for a LB.

FB's are a huge part of our game and I think Larouci and Lewis need more time.

I understand similar arguments can be made for up front - but when you look that we have just resigned Origi, and the development time that has gone into Wilson, Kent, Brewster - they will be given the chance.

I could see us lining up first prem game front three with something like - Salah, Origi, Ox.....or possibly Wilson. I assume Salah will be fit to go based on earlier exit from afcon........Firmino and mane given extra time if needed.

At some point however you have to trust in your investment , and for us that appears to be now. This is the season to see the return on:

Ox
shaqiri
Keita
Plus the youngsters - Brewster, Wilson, Kent

Clive

If it's one first team signing it could be a toss up - but on the face of it I think he may go for a LB.

FB's are a huge part of our game and I think Larouci and Lewis need more time.

I understand similar arguments can be made for up front - but when you look that we have just resigned Origi, and the development time that has gone into Wilson, Kent, Brewster - they will be given the chance.

I could see us lining up first prem game front three with something like - Salah, Origi, Ox.....or possibly Wilson. I assume Salah will be fit to go based on earlier exit from afcon........Firmino and mane given extra time if needed.

At some point however you have to trust in your investment , and for us that appears to be now. This is the season to see the return on:

Ox
shaqiri
Keita
Plus the youngsters - Brewster, Wilson, Kent
Ox, Shaq and Keita have hardly featured in a front 3 for Klopp (maybe once or twice each), so we’d likely need to change the system to accomodate them 4-2-3-1). This could be the plan, but we’ve not seen much evidence of it (eg we could play the Ox wide in a front 3 or change the system in pre season but haven’t seen this yet).

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Ox, Shaq and Keita have hardly featured in a front 3 for Klopp (maybe once or twice each), so we’d likely need to change the system to accommodate them 4-2-3-1). This could be the plan, but we’ve not seen much evidence of it (eg we could play the Ox wide in a front 3 or change the system in pre season but haven’t seen this yet).
Shaq did a bit last year off the bench and Ox could - Keita I'd never expect to.
Wilson, brewster and Kent are all playing in those positions now.
It may be we start the season with origi, Brewster and Salah up front who knows.

The overarching point of my post is that we have made significant financial and time investments on a number of players, and it would appear the manager now wants to put it to use and trust in it........f we don;t now then we never will........and you then go down the roads of arguments of the point of a youth set up particularly.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member