• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
That was a truly horrific transfer window - a massive kick in the balls! We’ve done next to nothing whilst our rivals have improved. It’s a well-known truism that you can’t stand still in football, you either keep on improving the team / squad or you end up going backwards.
It feels like Liverpool have done a Wacky Races, got miles ahead of the rest of the field and then like Dastardly & Muttley, waited whilst the rest catch up.
Who honestly thought after winning the Champions League, that the club would:
  • Make a £20m + summer transfer profit
  • Add not a single senior player to the outfield squad
  • Reduce the wage bill with sales and loans
Klopp has said again yesterday, “we have to pay our bills” and “making this team stronger, the starting line up, that’s really difficult and we don’t have the money”
Why not? Where has it gone?
There was a table posted on this forum the other day showing our meager net spend the past few years. We were well below Everton, and that’s before they spent another load the past couple of days. In what universe, given the huge discrepancy in income, is that possible?

A few points re our finances:
  • No one has earned more from Premiership TV rights the past couple of years
  • No one has earned more from European success the past couple of years
  • We are signing new corporate partnerships seemingly every week
  • We are due to sign a shirt deal that matches the mega one of Utd if reports are to be believed
For those who say, that’s great, we’re a brilliantly run club, we don’t want to compete that way with the big boys; what’s great about it? Are you paying less for your tickets? Are you seeing the money that’s being generated? This is a football club, the money should be reinvested back into the playing squad. FSG tried to copyright Liverpool the other day under the excuse of creating more money for transfers – who do they think they’re kidding?
We have up to 67 games to play and we have 6 senior players for the back 4 defensive positions. The lack of depth is starkly highlighted when Klopp is talking about playing Mane tomorrow night – he only arrived back two days ago. He doesn’t even trust “the squad” to beat relegation fodder at home when they’re all fit and fresh!
To not strengthen this summer is a ridiculous decision on the part of FSG. I know some on here will see no wrong in anything they do, but for the rest of us, it points to FSG thinking we’ve won a trophy so we can go back to under funding the team until the plebs start to kick off again.
Well they may not have to wait long.
Didn’t take you long to log back in to your burner RedForever2014.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
That was a truly horrific transfer window - a massive kick in the balls! We’ve done next to nothing whilst our rivals have improved. It’s a well-known truism that you can’t stand still in football, you either keep on improving the team / squad or you end up going backwards.
It feels like Liverpool have done a Wacky Races, got miles ahead of the rest of the field and then like Dastardly & Muttley, waited whilst the rest catch up.
Klopp has said again yesterday, “we have to pay our bills” and “making this team stronger, the starting line up, that’s really difficult and we don’t have the money”
There was a table posted on this forum the other day showing our meager net spend the past few years. We were well below Everton, and that’s before they spent another load the past couple of days. In what universe, given the huge discrepancy in income, is that possible?

• We are due to sign a shirt deal that matches the mega one of Utd if reports are to be believed
For those who say, that’s great, we’re a brilliantly run club, we don’t want to compete that way with the big boys; what’s great about it? Are you paying less for your tickets? Are you seeing the money that’s being generated? This is a football club, the money should be reinvested back into the playing squad. FSG tried to copyright Liverpool the other day under the excuse of creating more money for transfers – who do they think they’re kidding?
We have up to 67 games to play and we have 6 senior players for the back 4 defensive positions. The lack of depth is starkly highlighted when Klopp is talking about playing Mane tomorrow night – he only arrived back two days ago. He doesn’t even trust “the squad” to beat relegation fodder at home when they’re all fit and fresh!
To not strengthen this summer is a ridiculous decision on the part of FSG. I know some on here will see no wrong in anything they do, but for the rest of us, it points to FSG thinking we’ve won a trophy so we can go back to under funding the team until the plebs start to kick off again.
Yeah, right. So shall we support the team then?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Might be good for you to check his join date before accusing someone of someone else.....
It was a joke, so so often lost on you. Do you know what a burner account is? You just want to be obtuse.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
It was a joke, so so often lost on you. Do you know what a burner account is? You just want to be obtuse.
With you, most of the things you say are a joke... sorry the misunderstanding. Hound the fella away then....

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Btw this is interesting - Tweet I know but the replies (especially Maddocks) are interesting..

Havertz, Sancho, Aouar - All not available this summer
Tierney - Wanted guaranteed first team football
Sessegnon - Was offered 1st team place, wouldn’t get it here.

They are probably the 5 players I’d of liked us to target personally.

rab

Btw this is interesting - Tweet I know but the replies (especially Maddocks) are interesting..

Havertz, Sancho, Aouar - All not available this summer
Tierney - Wanted guaranteed first team football
Sessegnon - Was offered 1st team place, wouldn’t get it here.

They are probably the 5 players I’d of liked us to target personally.
We could of bought a player that hasn't moved but if it's just those that have, Pepe would be the one. Daniel James would have been an interesting squad addition and Tielemans would be a better option than Lallana.

There's three...

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
We could of bought a player that hasn't moved but if it's just those that have, Pepe would be the one. Daniel James would have been an interesting squad addition and Tielemans would be a better option than Lallana.

There's three...
He clearly says in the thread Pepe wanted 1st team football and we wouldn’t spend £75mil on a backup forward.

ptt

2020, head of the table.

Looking forward to you posting all season, what a joy it will be. Particularly the “I told you all so” when City just pip us again (because they’re owned by Goldfinger’s much richer cousin). Did you see a game we played a few weeks ago in foreign against a team from London? Another a few weeks before against some Spanish nobody's whom we made to look foolish? We have the most astutely assembled team under the best manager with the best kids, in Europe right now. Some of us are pretty happy with that and don’t like the sound of toys hitting the floor.

Red Armada

TIA Regular

That's a horribly pessimistic take, one that is far more unfounded than the prevailing optimism among members which I also find it to be somewhat excessive.

Let's see how the season unfolds before declaring one way or another.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
That's a horribly pessimistic take, one that is far more unfounded than the prevailing optimism among members which I also find it to be somewhat excessive.

Let's see how the season unfolds before declaring one way or another.
No, that simply won't do. You have to say right now if we're going to have a good season or not as otherwise how will you decide whether it's going to be worth watching?

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
No, that simply won't do. You have to say right now if we're going to have a good season or not as otherwise how will you decide whether it's going to be worth watching?
Let's not be hasty mate, what about the time-honoured option of being ludicrously positive during the week only to completely lose your shit if the team doesn't score in the first 37 seconds of the match?

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
It’s easy to see why we have not bought anyone when mediocrity like Maguire are sold for £80m.
Tbh I was disappointed we didn’t sign anyone, but I’m not sure anyone ideal was available.
Zaha for £100m?
One good season Pepe for £70m?
Jesus, 18 months ago that would have got you a world beater.

And klopp would have seen these kids we have promoted to know if they are ready or not.

I’m optimistic for the season. The squad is good enough. Obviously we need a bit of luck but who doesn’t?

Plus we are the European champions. Our players are now 7 foot tall and built like Ivan Drago. We really shouldn’t fear anyone.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
It’s easy to see why we have not bought anyone when mediocrity like Maguire are sold for £80m.
Tbh I was disappointed we didn’t sign anyone, but I’m not sure anyone ideal was available.
Zaha for £100m?
One good season Pepe for £70m?
Jesus, 18 months ago that would have got you a world beater.

And klopp would have seen these kids we have promoted to know if they are ready or not.

I’m optimistic for the season. The squad is good enough. Obviously we need a bit of luck but who doesn’t?

Plus we are the European champions. Our players are now 7 foot tall and built like Ivan Drago. We really shouldn’t fear anyone.
You could argue Alisson only had 1 good season and we paid a similar fee. Sometimes quality is obvious after just 1 season. I've never seen Pepe play, so no judgement on him.

I'm not surprised we've had a quiet window. From my understanding, FFP is assessed over a 3yr period and we spent huge on transfers and new contacts last season.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Let's not be hasty mate, what about the time-honoured option of being ludicrously positive during the week only to completely lose your shit if the team doesn't score in the first 37 seconds of the match?
You're right, I forgot myself for a moment. Can't wait for when Alisson takes his first big unnecessary risk, particularly with the new goal kick rules.

I am going to go BALLISTIC. And let's not forget that Trent CAN'T CROSS FOR SHIT.

Should have bought Wan-Bissaka.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Alright alright we can all have our bad days, let’s not get personal ;-)

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
It's interesting to me how Timo Werner's name fell completely off the radar in the last two months. I suppose there is still a chance for him to go to Bayern as their window stays open through the month. His name just flat out disappeared from any Liverpool links.

rab

He clearly says in the thread Pepe wanted 1st team football and we wouldn’t spend £75mil on a backup forward.
Not sure when we're going to get past this idea that first team football means they have to start every game.

Man City have Mahrez, Sane and Sterling. None of them are seen as a "backup". They are all first team footballers because players will go in and out of form, pick up injuries or, as Sterling does for them and Pepe could have done or allowed Salah to do for us, play up top.

Our current option for this role is either Origi or Shaqiri so let's not pretend Pepe couldn't have improved us and been persuaded to come to the European Champions over a Europa League side.