• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Maddison is likely someone considered as Lallana and/or Milner's replacement, but I think the club will probably have Aouar or Havertz higher on their list. Buendia of Norwich is another one who'll probably get some consideration.

Moreover, given that the club apparently passed on Maddison last summer when he was available at a reasonable fee also suggests that they've moved on to other targets.
Doesnt sound anything like Milner.

Red over the water

No to Maddison for me. Good player, but don’t need him.

If one of our main front three leaves, say Mo wants to try his hand in Spain (I hope not) then at that point we need to look at the likes of Sancho and Havertz. We could buy one of them and keep the current front three.

The big dream is a Nike inspired Mbappe, but surely that’s a pipe dream!

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
No to Maddison for me. Good player, but don’t need him.

If one of our main front three leaves, say Mo wants to try his hand in Spain (I hope not) then at that point we need to look at the likes of Sancho and Havertz. We could buy one of them and keep the current front three.

The big dream is a Nike inspired Mbappe, but surely that’s a pipe dream!
Mané Firmino Mbappe
or
Mané Mbappe Sancho
or
Mané Mbappe Salah

but Haverz is an (attacking) midfielder and not a replacement for our Front3.

Havertz + one of Ox, Wijnaldum or Keita
and Fabinho behind them.

While we’re at it - who could potentially replace Mané?

GaryBarlow99

Apparently an issue with international clearance for a player. Seems to be either Chirivella or VDB. Think it will most likely be a fine instead of being kicked out though.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Apparently an issue with international clearance for a player. Seems to be either Chirivella or VDB. Think it will most likely be a fine instead of being kicked out though.
If it is to do with international clearence, then it will be a fine. Sunderland got done for the same in 2014 with a fine, so precedence is set

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I think it is fair to assume that it was one of the subs. I doubt it is due to International clearance, they have all played before. Maybe someone just forgot a name on the team sheet.

Red over the water

I would imagine we might get £150M for Salah and Mbappe would cost £250M.

Obviously any deal will be done for what the market dictates, but I see a good 100M gap between them, and this is a pure guess on my part, but I suppose the outlying Neymar deal is a reference point of sorts.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
So, I just want to put this out there as a nugget to consider in the context of our future transfer dealings.

As I'm sure most of you are aware, FSG also owns the Boston Red Sox, one of baseball's historic franchises and the 2018 champions. They have an extraordinary payroll, to the point that they're in the luxury tax - a payroll threshold where they'll have to pay anywhere from 20%-50% on any payroll above the tax threshold. Because the Red Sox are a twice-repeat offender, they'll be paying over $13 million in taxes this coming year after paying roughly the same amount in 2018. That penalty could increase next year if they don't shed payroll.

As a consequence. they have mandated that their front office cut salary this coming season. That includes the significant possibility of the unthinkable - that they'd sell (trade) their best player (and one of the best in baseball, period) in order to get under the tax threshold. That's the kind of decision that NO team would make unless they feel strongly that they cannot afford to continue to pay the tax.

I bring this up only to consider why they did not spend this past summer, and to consider whether FSG would sanction any significant purchases next summer without a significant sale - think Mo, or Sadio. It makes me wonder if they are going to tighten the budget for the near future.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Loads of Albatros contracts in that organisation I see. Besides that, they gave Mookie Betts in his second arbitration year a raise from 10 to 20 mil, what will be his third arb be, 30 mil? :unsure:

Sweeting

So, I just want to put this out there as a nugget to consider in the context of our future transfer dealings.

As I'm sure most of you are aware, FSG also owns the Boston Red Sox, one of baseball's historic franchises and the 2018 champions. They have an extraordinary payroll, to the point that they're in the luxury tax - a payroll threshold where they'll have to pay anywhere from 20%-50% on any payroll above the tax threshold. Because the Red Sox are a twice-repeat offender, they'll be paying over $13 million in taxes this coming year after paying roughly the same amount in 2018. That penalty could increase next year if they don't shed payroll.

As a consequence. they have mandated that their front office cut salary this coming season. That includes the significant possibility of the unthinkable - that they'd sell (trade) their best player (and one of the best in baseball, period) in order to get under the tax threshold. That's the kind of decision that NO team would make unless they feel strongly that they cannot afford to continue to pay the tax.

I bring this up only to consider why they did not spend this past summer, and to consider whether FSG would sanction any significant purchases next summer without a significant sale - think Mo, or Sadio. It makes me wonder if they are going to tighten the budget for the near future.
Not 100% sure but I thought I read that, despite the same owners being involved, the clubs are in no sense financially related.

Also I would have thought Liverpool make more money than the Red Sox in advertising etc worldwide. You won't find too many non-Americans who can name 10 baseball players. It would surely be more important to keep Liverpool competitive than the Red Sox.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
Not 100% sure but I thought I read that, despite the same owners being involved, the clubs are in no sense financially related.
I mean, if they are owned by the same owners, they are unequivocally financially related, despite any firewalls they may place in business operations. The money still comes from and goes to the same group of people.

I'm guessing they probably make more money from gameday operations at Fenway Park than they do at Anfield. But player wages - especially at the top - are higher in baseball, and you don't "sell" players for big wads of cash in the major American sports leagues. International revenue obviously tips towards Liverpool, too.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
Loads of Albatros contracts in that organisation I see. Besides that, they gave Mookie Betts in his second arbitration year a raise from 10 to 20 mil, what will be his third arb be, 30 mil? :unsure:
That's still on the low end of his market value. He would probably make 40 million a year if he was an unrestricted free agent. But what's striking is that the Red Sox are one of those teams that has never balked at paying for high quality talent since FSG came over. For them to do so at this point with that player - especially after handing out some of the other contracts they've given over the last couple years - suggests that their financial picture might be more murky than advertised.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
I'm not surprised that they came to the end of the rope. Fenway is a small ballpark, almost 38.000, and you can only raise the ticket, beer and food prices so many times. Been there a few times in the past, about 10 years ago, to watch my Orioles play the Sox and I thought the prices where outrages even back then, I reckon nowadays it is even worse.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
I'm not surprised that they came to the end of the rope. Fenway is a small ballpark, almost 38.000, and you can only raise the ticket, beer and food prices so many times. Been there a few times in the past, about 10 years ago, to watch my Orioles play the Sox and I thought the prices where outrages even back then, I reckon nowadays it is even worse.
That's absolutely a concern, but I would guess that their gate revenue is probably only a quarter of their general revenue. Their TV deal brings in a significant portion of their revenue - probably more than $100M per year. They also get significant cuts of MLB revenue, sponsorships, and memorabilia. I read recently that they've made over $500m in revenue in 2018. Even with their payroll, it makes me wonder what other debts are on their balance sheet that would cause them to want to move their best player...and how that would impact our Reds next summer.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
I don't believe the lack of money was the problem this summer, I think we could not get the player(s) we wanted and decided like Klopp always does to go with what he has. Don't believe for a moment we have to sell our best player(s) next summer.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I mean, if they are owned by the same owners, they are unequivocally financially related, despite any firewalls they may place in business operations. The money still comes from and goes to the same group of people.

I'm guessing they probably make more money from gameday operations at Fenway Park than they do at Anfield. But player wages - especially at the top - are higher in baseball, and you don't "sell" players for big wads of cash in the major American sports leagues. International revenue obviously tips towards Liverpool, too.

Jib jab; ‘we need 13 million’

Micheal Edwards ; ‘ here, hold my beer’

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I cant see tax on Red Sox being an issue for LFC. The club is run with little debt, and given the expected increase to commercial deals over the next year or two if we really needed a player or two, we could i'm sure find that money without selling a key player to fund it.

Given the way the club operates, we will probably be only spending big money when there are big outgoings (with the odd exception)

Limiescouse

If the Red Sox were running a wage bill their published finances suggested they could not afford, then Id understand the complaint. What the Red Sox have done is overspend in the short term to push for present day success and are now trying to get out from under it. I dont get how that in any way relates to us.