• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Limiescouse

Not sure when we're going to get past this idea that first team football means they have to start every game.

Man City have Mahrez, Sane and Sterling. None of them are seen as a "backup". They are all first team footballers because players will go in and out of form, pick up injuries or, as Sterling does for them and Pepe could have done or allowed Salah to do for us, play up top.

Our current option for this role is either Origi or Shaqiri so let's not pretend Pepe couldn't have improved us and been persuaded to come to the European Champions over a Europa League side.
Mahrez is a very clear back up, and Sane has increasingly become one, hence Bayern having a nibble and thinking they might be able to coax away an otherwise ungettable player.

rab

Mahrez is a very clear back up, and Sane has increasingly become one, hence Bayern having a nibble and thinking they might be able to coax away an otherwise ungettable player.
So they have two back ups for their wide players and the other one playing centre forward?

Neither of those players is purely a "backup" option. They featured in 27 and 31 league games respectively. Yes, neither was as nailed on a starter as someone like Bernardo Silva but neither are a "backup" in the way that Moreno was backup to Robbo.

We've seven central midfielders. All get game time, none are viewed as "backup" options, all have a part to play and will need breaks. Pepe wouldn't have been backup, he'd have been one of four options for three places, ahead of Origi as a wide option allowing Salah to be ahead of Brewster as a central option.

Plenty of game time to go around in that scenario and that's before you start taking fatigue and injuries into account.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
So they have two back ups for their wide players and the other one playing centre forward?

Neither of those players is purely a "backup" option. They featured in 27 and 31 league games respectively. Yes, neither was as nailed on a starter as someone like Bernardo Silva but neither are a "backup" in the way that Moreno was backup to Robbo.

We've seven central midfielders. All get game time, none are viewed as "backup" options, all have a part to play and will need breaks. Pepe wouldn't have been backup, he'd have been one of four options for three places, ahead of Origi as a wide option allowing Salah to be ahead of Brewster as a central option.

Plenty of game time to go around in that scenario and that's before you start taking fatigue and injuries into account.
I thought one of the issues with Pep was that he can only play on the right? Does he play different positions?

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Let's not be hasty mate, what about the time-honoured option of being ludicrously positive during the week only to completely lose your shit if the team doesn't score in the first 37 seconds of the match?
37 seconds is stretching it a bit,toys are well out of the pram by then!

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
I'm quite happy with the way the window went.
Only ever believed Klopp would buy a player he really wanted,and if he did want anyone they clearly weren't available,or interested.
Going into the window,I'd have been happy with Mbappe and a back up LB.
Mbappe didn't happen and we saw some positive signs from the kids for LB in the friendlies.Sure a way to go but you'd have to nobble Robbo to keep him off the park,anyone who wanted a game wouldn't come here waiting for Robbo to have a rest.
Depth is my only concern,but we should be fine.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I know those supporters too. It's called having a family.
Oops, sorry I forgot all about that. I was just hoping that some day someone will developed a machine that could record live shows, and store it somewhere for people who are busy to access it. Maybe someday someone will be able to develop a video streaming system that allows people to be able to watch it over some medium at anywhere, especially those that are busy taking care of their family and at the same time posting shit loads of messages online. Apologies for not being considerate, I guess @Red Armada fella and I don't have a family.

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
Let's not be hasty mate, what about the time-honoured option of being ludicrously positive during the week only to completely lose your shit if the team doesn't score in the first 37 seconds of the match?
Don't be ridiculous.

We should give 'em at least 45 seconds...

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Oops, sorry I forgot all about that. I was just hoping that some day someone will developed a machine that could record live shows, and store it somewhere for people who are busy to access it. Maybe someday someone will be able to develop a video streaming system that allows people to be able to watch it over some medium at anywhere, especially those that are busy taking care of their family and at the same time posting shit loads of messages online. Apologies for not being considerate, I guess @Red Armada fella and I don't have a family.
Perhaps some day there'll be more hours in the day so that people currently without the time to do so can then have the luxury of watching full game replays (or perhaps even live!) rather than highlights?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Perhaps some day there'll be more hours in the day so that people currently without the time to do so can then have the luxury of watching full game replays (or perhaps even live!) rather than highlights?
Yeah, perhaps.... so that they could take care of their family or post stuff in social media, at the same time enjoy 90mins of live football played once a week. With you on that one.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Yeah, perhaps.... so that they could take care of their family or post stuff in social media, at the same time enjoy 90mins of live football played once a week. With you on that one.
Is the concept that some people lead busy lives with competing priorities completely alien to you? Whenever I think you've reached peak nonsense you constantly raise the bar again.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Is the concept that some people lead busy lives with competing priorities completely alien to you? Whenever I think you've reached peak nonsense you constantly raise the bar again.
Obviously Eddie is passive aggressively talking about someone on the forums.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
@Kopstar and @lfc.eddie. Please don’t use this thread to bicker.

For what it’s worth, I struggle to watch two games a week, live or recorded. Those rare occasions Liverpool have a third, I certainly get the eyebrow raised at me.
Haha I have to prepare the misses, usually goes;

Me - "Liverpool is playing on Friday"
Her - "Is it on TV or your PC?"
Me - "TV"
Her - "FFS"

:-)

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member

For what it’s worth, I struggle to watch two games a week, live or recorded. Those rare occasions Liverpool have a third, I certainly get the eyebrow raised at me.
Same. I generally get to see (at a guess) about 80% of games per season, which feels like a decent amount while not endangering the marriage.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Same. I generally get to see (at a guess) about 80% of games per season, which feels like a decent amount while not endangering the marriage.
Given my ADD we limit the screen time for our kids (our daughter's slightly on the spectrum anyway) so the screen time they do get is what they want to watch. Given that my kids are awake across all the hours Liverpool games are live on TV that means live football games are not shown in my household unless under exceptional circumstances (we all watched the CL final, for example). Their bed times are always late as it is so time is at a premium when I've got other stuff going on as well. Easier to post on the forums during working hours and late at night (when Liverpool don't tend to play live games anyway).

Ironically, it would be much much easier for me to watch Liverpool games live if we lived at least a few time zones away.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

For what it is worth I was merely replying to him quoting me. Not bickering.

Edit: See below...

fspencer

For what it is worth I was merely replying to him quoting me. Not bickering.

Edit: See below...
My missus works her shift pattern around our fixtures . No way could i concentrate on doing something else if we are playing . When i was a child and all we had were the MOTD highlights on saturdays then fair enough but you can access match streams everywhere and anywhere these days .

I took my IPTV streaming box on holiday with me so i could have access. There are 2 parents and if we can't organise our schedule to fit in leisure activities then we might as well just give up lol

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Haha I have to prepare the misses, usually goes;

Me - "TV"
Her - "FFS"
Haha, I have almost the same scenario at home, with one adjustment:

Me - "TV"
Her - "Oh, that must be the one connected to your computer. You should try this one sometimes!" (*shows me the remote*)

lol

Chrenyan

What a window.

I suppose there is one silver lining. Just read a stat that Liverpool have been outspent by every club in the English top-flight and 13/24 clubs in the Championship. Bring on the gross / net spend arguments. We'll be winning those, at least!