• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

ptt

2020, head of the table.
There's only two clubs that I can think of that would possibly interest Mo: Barca & Real, and he would be merely a squad player there, as ridiculous as that sounds. He has only to look at what happend to Coutinho and recall his own experience at Chelski to realise that. He's already playing in the strongest league in the world, and for the champions of Europe. If (when?) we win the Prem this season, well, he would have won everything worth winning......so who knows what the future will bring?
I could see him moving to an Egyptian team (for free) to help them financially. He’s a huge devotion to his home country, I think altruism is more likely than greed although going to Real and sending £££££ to his beloved country could be the better move.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
It’s the midfield that needs some more creativity, so of all the rumours, Havertz is the one I like.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
@Nikola

Don't know how to post the article, but just browsed quickly through it. Didn't see any transfer stuff related to LFC there. Only the thing about Klopp and Mane switching from New Balance to Nike.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
@Nikola

Don't know how to post the article, but just browsed quickly through it. Didn't see any transfer stuff related to LFC there. Only the thing about Klopp and Mane switching from New Balance to Nike.
Thanks, mate! From Twitter, I got the impression there was much more to this article regarding Liverpool. If these two are switching to Nike, well, I can't wait to see Neymar billboards in my city replaced with those of Klopp, Mane, Van Dijk... :)

Red over the water

I‘m seeing Salah moving on for big money, and I’m seeing Mbappe coming in for very big money. It never works like this, but if Salah doesn’t go to Spain, I could see him go to PSG in some sort of deal in exchange for Mbappe. Mo will score loads in France, and he will continue to send €€€ back home.

If Mbappe is off the cards for us (and I’m enjoying the semi-plausible nature of it at the moment) then the likes of Sancho comes into play if we lose a big player up front. Havertz has a big future as an attacking midfielder too.

Then again, maybe we keep all our players and sign someone a bit more up and coming, like Chuckwueze, and he becomes a world star with us?

It will be interesting to see how we manage it all. Right now we have a world class front three, and they are all in peak playing years. Hopefully we enjoy it for a long time to come, but it’s natural to wonder about what happens next.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Still a bit weird seeing people decry the notion of someone like Mbappe coming here, instead going to Real because they're bigger and more successful, and have more money. This isn't 2003 any more. We're current European Champions, missed out on the title by a point last season and currently sit top six points clear (having had a far more difficult run of games in that time than City have had), aren't in constant fucking turmoil, and have zero question marks over our manager or president, and play in what is the richest league in the world. To top that off, we're now going to have Nike and LeBron bigging us up even more.

We're now every bit as big a destination as anywhere else.

Does that mean we're now going to be galactico shopping every window? Probably not, since that's not Klopp's way, but even with that in mind we had the world's most expensive defender up until Slabhead went to Manchester, and the world's most expensive goalkeeper (for about 10 minutes until Chelsea signed Kepa).

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Still a bit weird seeing people decry the notion of someone like Mbappe coming here, instead going to Real because they're bigger and more successful, and have more money. This isn't 2003 any more. We're current European Champions, missed out on the title by a point last season and currently sit top six points clear (having had a far more difficult run of games in that time than City have had), aren't in constant fucking turmoil, and have zero question marks over our manager or president, and play in what is the richest league in the world. To top that off, we're now going to have Nike and LeBron bigging us up even more.

Does that mean we're now going to be galactico shopping every window? Probably not, since that's not Klopp's way, but even with that in mind we had the world's most expensive defender up until Slabhead went to Manchester, and the world's most expensive goalkeeper (for about 10 minutes until Chelsea signed Kepa).
I still think we're some way off being a destination, Gaz, and that's not me being a pessimist. Yes, Liverpool have everything you listed but that's one trophy (albeit the biggest one) after winning just one League Cup in twelve seasons. I think someone like Mbappe will need a lot more trophies to think of Liverpool as a final destination, or at least one that is not just a simple step in his development.

To be honest, I'm not even convinced that Klopp is looking to spend massively, I think he's mostly happy with what he has and that he will be looking to develop these players, especially the young ones (who could really turn out alright, given that they were cherry-picked and nurtured, rather than brought in to make up the numbers and see who will sink and who will swim, if any). He respects his club and other players too much to stockpile the best and the most expensive ones like certain clubs and stunt the progress of some of them in the process.

I guess that's why majority of players out there want to play for him but it wasn't so long ago that they were opting for other clubs, maybe in big part due to Liverpool not offering them trophies, nor silly money. He's fully in command now, without making the club fully dependent on him. Whether someone like Mbappe is open-minded enough to recognise and appreciate that... We'll see, even if I don't think he's a target, even if Liverpool had a chance of landing him.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I have no doubt that the current Liverpool side is as attractive as any top sides in the world for top players. The only doubt I have is Liverpool paying over the odds for Mbappe which PSG will certainly demand. I think anyone going in for Mbappe now would have to cough up near to 200mil if not more and PSG can play hardball seeing how they refuse to give in for Neymar in the summer. Maybe in 2 more seasons when his contract is left with 1 year and he is still playing at this high level, a 100+ mil with one year left might be realistic for us.

But I do think we really need to strengthen. In 4 years time, our trio forwards would all be above 30 and we wouldn't want to wait till then to buy big due to desperation.

I know Klopp is not going to be here forever, and the next best gift he can give us after the league, is to ensure we can continue to dominate after he eventually leaves

Sweeting

I think the only issue we have is finding players good enough to play in our front three.

Mbappe certainly is good enough but the likely cost - £200m - would be frankly absurd. I wouldn't not want to get just because of cost but I do think that there are more creative options out there still. None of Firmino, Mane or Salah were close to as good as they are now when we bought them and I think Klopp will be looking to perform the same magic again either this summer or 2021.

Origi has proved a useful backup but I think we all can see he won't ever be a regular starter as he lacks the sharpness and interplay the others have. Shaqiri currently looks closer to leaving than breaking into the squad, and as I will talk about below I think the main reason is that his inclusion would mean a change of system.

Harry Wilson is developing well and clearly now established himself as good enough to play Premier League football - he needs to work on his game intelligence as I think that is where he lacks compared to Salah and Mane. He also doesn't have the raw power that they do in their movements. We would certainly lose out on goal return initially from the RW position but this is an area that Klopp has improved for all of our forwards previously. I wouldn't rule Wilson out as an option going forwards if he can consistently utilise space as well as Salah does.

Ben Woodburn is probably the most similar forward stylistically to Firmino but he hasn't ever played as a central striker in professional football, currently preferred on the RW for Oxford. He has the vision and build up ability to be a "Firmino-lite" but is a worse version of Firmino even worth pursuing? He is so unique that the next occupant of the CF position will probably have to be a completely different type of player.

Harvey Elliott is, I think, seen as a genuine first team prospect but he is so young it is easy to fall off that path. Brewster and Jones too I think are seriously in Klopp's mind for the next 2/3 years to develop into real options. Elliott, however, is the only one of the three that fits into the system we have already - his traits are similar to Salah and Mane. Brewster is more of a natural CF than Firmino and is not as talented in dropping deep so we would undoubtedly need a midfielder to fill that space when he plays. Jones doesn't have the searing pace of Mane from the left; he loves to beat people but more with trickery and so him coming into the side would mean we lose the "out ball" to the left flank (which is how we won the game against Spurs).

I honestly see us taking a few cheap pop shots at players coming out the Belgian, Austrian and Swiss leagues to see if we can turn someone rough into a diamond before they have to go through the usual rigmarole of signing for Southampton to prove themselves.

Two slightly more established names that I wonder if we will have a look at are Suso and Buendia. Suso doesn't really fit perfectly into the mould of our forwards but he looks to be having a bad time now at AC Milan, who are a fucking disaster, and he has stated before that he would love to come back. He has been one of the best players in Serie A for two years. The thing I like about Suso coming back is his intelligence and speed of play. He pings passes, he makes the right moves on the pitch and he can play right across the line. Similarly Buendia is doing really well for Norwich and could be available if they get relegated as he is too good for the Championship and has all the upsides Suso does.

It will be interesting to see how this develops. Do we try to buy/develop similar types of players to the ones we already have in the hope of keeping the current structure and system or do we adapt our system to the players we buy/develop? Do we risk letting players sign for rivals if they don't play like mini versions of one of our front three or do we risk spending money on players who just don't fit in?

Last edited:

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I think the only issue we have is finding players good enough to play in our front three.

Mbappe certainly is good enough but the likely cost - £200m - would be frankly absurd. I wouldn't not want to get just because of cost but I do think that there are more creative options out there still. None of Firmino, Mane or Salah were close to as good as they are now when we bought them and I think Klopp will be looking to perform the same magic again either this summer or 2021.

Origi has proved a useful backup but I think we all can see he won't ever be a regular starter as he lacks the sharpness and interplay the others have. Shaqiri currently looks closer to leaving than breaking into the squad, and as I will talk about below I think the main reason is that his inclusion would mean a change of system.

Harry Wilson is developing well and clearly now established himself as good enough to play Premier League football - he needs to work on his game intelligence as I think that is where he lacks compared to Salah and Mane. He also doesn't have the raw power that they do in their movements. We would certainly lose out on goal return initially from the RW position but this is an area that Klopp has improved for all of our forwards previously. I wouldn't rule Wilson out as an option going forwards if he can consistently utilise space as well as Salah does.

Ben Woodburn is probably the most similar forward stylistically to Firmino but he hasn't ever played as a central striker in professional football, currently preferred on the RW for Oxford. He has the vision and build up ability to be a "Firmino-lite" but is a worse version of Firmino even worth pursuing? He is so unique that the next occupant of the CF position will probably have to be a completely different type of player.

Harvey Elliott is, I think, seen as a genuine first team prospect but he is so young it is easy to fall off that path. Brewster and Jones too I think are seriously in Klopp's mind for the next 2/3 years to develop into real options. Elliott, however, is the only one of the three that fits into the system we have already - his traits are similar to Salah and Mane. Brewster is more of a natural CF than Firmino and is not as talented in dropping deep so we would undoubtedly need a midfielder to fill that space when he plays. Jones doesn't have the searing pace of Mane from the left; he loves to beat people but more with trickery and so him coming into the side would mean we lose the "out ball" to the left flank (which is how we won the game against Spurs).

I honestly see us taking a few cheap pop shots at players coming out the Belgian, Austrian and Swiss leagues to see if we can turn someone rough into a diamond before they have to go through the usual rigmarole of signing for Southampton to prove themselves.

It will be interesting to see how this develops. Do we try to buy/develop similar types of players to the ones we already have in the hope of keeping the current structure and system or do we adapt our system to the players we buy/develop? Do we risk letting players sign for rivals if they don't play like mini versions of one of our front three or do we risk spending money on players who just don't fit in?
Do you think we will try to get any of the lads from Red Bull?

Sweeting

Do you think we will try to get any of the lads from Red Bull?
They look like good players and are as good a place as any to start looking in those tier 2 leagues.

Players like Erling Haaland (might be difficult to get, looks nailed on for a failed transfer to Real Madrid and resurface when he is 22, if he picks right he can be a good player)
Patson Daka (21 years old, isn't even a regular starter for Salzburg because of Haaland yet he has 9 goals in 519 minutes)
Sekou Koita (19 years old, another one kind of hidden in the Salzburg project - 6 goals in 417 minutes)
Jonathan David (19 years old, 10 goals for Gent this season)
Landry Dimata (22 years old, 31 goal involvements in 44 games for Anderlecht)
Victor Osimhen (20 years old, one of the top scorers in Belgium last season, now 8 in 14 for Lille this year)

They are just some names really, but I could see us taking a few punts on those kind of players who have shone at a lower level.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
They look like good players and are as good a place as any to start looking in those tier 2 leagues.

Players like Erling Haaland (might be difficult to get, looks nailed on for a failed transfer to Real Madrid and resurface when he is 22, if he picks right he can be a good player)
Patson Daka (21 years old, isn't even a regular starter for Salzburg because of Haaland yet he has 9 goals in 519 minutes)
Sekou Koita (19 years old, another one kind of hidden in the Salzburg project - 6 goals in 417 minutes)
Jonathan David (19 years old, 10 goals for Gent this season)
Landry Dimata (22 years old, 31 goal involvements in 44 games for Anderlecht)
Victor Osimhen (20 years old, one of the top scorers in Belgium last season, now 8 in 14 for Lille this year)

They are just some names really, but I could see us taking a few punts on those kind of players who have shone at a lower level.

I think the one player out of those teams we'd go for and could possibly up his game to get into our team (which you've missed out in your list) is Takumi Minamino.He looks ripe for the picking right now,his game play and work ethic is right up Jurgens street and he wouldn't cost a massive sum of cash,i'd say £30mill max maybe,he's 24 years old,passed the youth stage of his career,a full International,plays in europe with CL under his belt,this is the kind of player and age Klopp likes to bring into his team,he can polish the rough diamond into a gem.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Mbappe will most probably be the next transfer record. Only thing with him is, potential muscle injuries before he hits 25. We've seen it a few times with strikers who rely a lot on pace (not that he only has pace) in the past. He's had his first, but doesn't have to mean anything yet. He's fantastic. A good joke all those stories with the Nike link, but I don't see how that's realistic for us. One Champions League doesn't suddenly put us on the same level as a Real or Barca. That's just how it is.

As for the forward line overall, they're at their peak now. First thing is to get at least more strenght in depth. I'm not a great believer that Shaqiri or Origi deserve to be on our bench for our next missions. Origi isn't even used as our backup striker when he plays (and he's also nowhere near the quality of Mane when he plays on the left), Mane goes centrally almost every time. We need better quality in those roles (and to slowly get something for the future), simple as that. Interesting thing is that our front 3 are basically the same age, so that will be also interesting to follow, but now is not yet the time for huge predictions. They will plan ahead of course, as they should do. We'll target more or less the same positions in the transfer market like we were linked with last summer I believe.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
The main reason we won’t sign a Mbappe is that we will not match the ridiculous weekly salary that PSG, City, Real and Man U, would offer. He obviously won’t go to UTD at the moment.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
The main reason we won’t sign a Mbappe is that we will not match the ridiculous weekly salary that PSG, City, Real and Man U, would offer. He obviously won’t go to UTD at the moment.

I'm not too sure about that tbh,i know they are different teams/sports but if you check out the wages FSG pay Red Sox baseball players,£300k+ a week is not much,i think their top earner is on over £600k a week.

If FSG look at Mbappe as an overall package,with this new Nike sponsorship deal and what those 2 could bring into the club financially,with him being potentially the biggest supserstar in world football for the next 5-10 years (eg imagine having the chance to sign the next Messi/Ronaldo),i'd imagine they'd weigh up paying him £400k+ a week (or more) and consider what marketing him around the globe would earn us,to offset that wage.I don't think it's an impossible deal to make but it'll deffo show how far FSG want to take us,if they haven't already.

Sweeting

"Juventus sent scouts to watch Liverpool's match with Tottenham and were focused on Liverpool and Egypt forward Mohamed Salah, 27, Tottenham's South Korean forward Son Heung-min, 27, and Spurs' Danish midfielder Christian Eriksen, 27". (Mirror)

I wonder how much "scouting" is actually required of any of those players. That must be the easiest gig in football - Is someone at Juve right now genuinely getting paid to report back that Mo Salah is pretty good?

Can't the Juventus director responsible for recruitment just turn his TV on and have a look himself?

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
"Juventus sent scouts to watch Liverpool's match with Tottenham and were focused on Liverpool and Egypt forward Mohamed Salah, 27, Tottenham's South Korean forward Son Heung-min, 27, and Spurs' Danish midfielder Christian Eriksen, 27". (Mirror)

I wonder how much "scouting" is actually required of any of those players. That must be the easiest gig in football - Is someone at Juve right now genuinely getting paid to report back that Mo Salah is pretty good?

Can't the Juventus director responsible for recruitment just turn his TV on and have a look himself?
Given their recent record of targeting players on a free transfer, Eriksen has to be in with a huge shout of going there next summer. Would they really spend the kind of money it would cost to get Son or Salah?

Dave-D

Let’s be truthful here, Juventus were only scouting one of those players and his second name doesn’t start with an S.

Eriksen is a Juventus wet dream, a level below elite and a free in the summer it’s got their name written all over it.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Yeah throw Salah in there just to get the web hits.

Wouldn’t offer enough for Salah, and I really don’t see why we all expect him to leave or the clamour to get rid. Because he had a barny with Mane once which now seems totally forgot. Irony is Mane is just as bad at that

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I think one thing for sure is Klopp is more likely not to go for the next Big thing but the next next Big Thing.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Yeah throw Salah in there just to get the web hits.

Wouldn’t offer enough for Salah, and I really don’t see why we all expect him to leave or the clamour to get rid. Because he had a barny with Mane once which now seems totally forgot. Irony is Mane is just as bad at that
Yeah, I see a lot of posts along the lines of "I could see Salah/Mane (delete as appropriate) going to Real or Barca in the summer", and I can't see why. It doesn't seem to be based on any visible evidence I can see. Is it just paranoia? I even see rationale along the lines of their age and that "they're approaching 30". They both turned 27 a few months back, putting them firmly in the prime age for forwards. I get that it always looks good bringing in talented young players, but shouldn't we be looking to hang onto our in-form, in-their-prime players for as long as possible?

If one turns round in the summer and angles for a move - even though I can't see that happening - then obviously that's a situation we need to deal with and if there's no resolution possible then let them go and get in the best replacement we can, but I wouldn't personally be moving them towards the exit ourselves any time soon.

Last edited:

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Yeah, I see a lot of posts along the lines of "I could see Salah/Mane (delete as appropriate) going to Real or Barca in the summer", and I can't see why. It doesn't seem to be based on any visible evidence I can see. Is it just paranoia? I even see rationale along the lines of their age and that "they're approaching 30". They both turned 27 a few months back, putting them firmly in the prime age for forwards. I get that it always looks good bringing in talented young players, but should we be looking to hang onto our in-form, in-their-prime players for as long as possible?

If one turns round in the summer and angles for a move - even though I can't see that happening - then obviously that's a situation we need to deal with and if there's no resolution possible then let them go and get in the best replacement we can, but I wouldn't personally be moving them towards the exit ourselves any time soon.
I would say it is paranoia based on years of Real and Barca being the centre of the footballing universe for many people, and organisations within football. Question is, whether that is still the case and do Mane and Salah think so?

Sweeting

Is it just paranoia? I even see rationale along the lines of their age and that "they're approaching 30". They both turned 27 a few months back, putting them firmly in the prime age for forwards.
What is funny about that line of thinking is that with modern medical advancements, diet improvements and the general good health that these players keep there is absolutely no evidence of 30 being the downward side of the hill anymore.

Three of the five top scorers in the league are "the wrong side" of 30...

Jamie Vardy, 32 (nearly 33), 9 goals in 10 games - still lightening quick and probably better now than at any time in his career
Sergio Aguero, 30, 8 goals in 9 games - still scores for fun no sign of slowing down.
Pierre Emerick Aubameyang, 30, 7 goals in 10 games - another player who trades mostly off pace and has showed no signs of decline.

In Spain last season the youngest player in the top 10 league goalscorers was Borja Iglesias (26 years old) and 7 of the 10 were 30 years old or older.

Our three don't even turn 30 for another three years, two years for Firmino, and there is no reason to suspect that they will suddenly drop off a cliff when they hit that age.

Last edited:

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
If they hesitate for a move so be it, but that's the thing if we end the wait for a league title this season then they are winning the big prizes here at Anfield, it is often the main reason many have given for leaving in the past. I look at the two biggest Spanish clubs and I don't think they are close to us, a rather fortuitous result at the Nou Camp led by Messi who is himself in the last years of his career.

Before Klopp arrived it didn't surprise me players left, we were not even making the CL but now two CL finals in a row, with one having been won with the finest of margins between winning a title and playing with some of the best players in the world why would you move. Last season's final was a massive one to win, all the harping about it being a shite final, I couldn't give a toss once Origi scored to me it was the best final since 2005.

Dave-D

Have either Real or Barcelona even got the money required to sign Mane or Salah. Last I heard Real and Barcelona both had to take out loans for their big signs.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin

Look mate, there are so many reasons we won't go for Mbappe:
  1. Our current front three is the most lethal in Europe. Their togetherness and complementary qualities are fantastic: it's the typical case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Unless he is forced to, Klopp won't break up this magic trio. They are all on their prime, have long-term contracts and don't look as if they want to go anywhere soon.
  2. They wouldn't accept to be rotated with a fourth top quality forward. Mbappe, for 200m +, would have to be played every week. It would unsettle the current equilibrium of these three big egos accepting to work together and for each of them.
  3. Paying 200m for unsettling a perfectly working frontline would be madness, and as we know, neither Klopp nor fsg are mad, at least not mad enough to throw money out of the window. If there is any money available, I'd guess that it is the midfield and the full-back positions which will need Klopp's full attention in the next transfer windows, although it will be hard to get better players than what we already have.
  4. Then there are the wages. How much would Mbappe ask for? He is already on anastronomic wage at psg, and will only leave for a club offering to pay more. We won't be that club for sure, 100%.
The, there is the player himself, what does he want? Sure, he'll be interested to go to a major league, Spain or England as it stands. But as Nikola has already said, Barca and especially Madrid are still way ahead of us in the food chain. Yes, we've just won a European title after a drought of 14 years. But the five previous titles, where did they go? Look it up, you'll see...

Also, I have a bit of access to French outlets, and reading them, it's very clear where that young boy is looking towards: first and foremost towards a certain capital in the south, in which a club in white has won thirteen CL titles in it's history, and is by a big margin the richest club in the world.

Look, as anyone, I'd love to see Mbappe in our red shirt, but it simply won't happen. That is, unless Real Madrid decide that one of Mané, Firmino or Salah is a more worthwhile target to pursue than Mbappe, but everything points towards a mega-deal being prepared for the wonderboy. Don't forget the special link between Zidane and French players in general, and Mbappe in peculiar. That's another ace they hold in their hands, besides their ability and willingness to do this kind of mega-deals on a regular basis.