• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

MarcusBerglund

He has been pushing for a move since the day he signed for us. He forced his way out of Man City, he is trying to force his way out of Liverpool - I'm not sure how the club could ever "trust" him.

I have no problem with players feeling their careers are better served elsewhere and in Duncan's case he is probably right, he won't be breaking in to the front three anytime soon and Rhian Brewster/Paul Glatzel are more talented, but I'd be a bit annoyed now if I were the Academy staff that in just one year he has contacted Fiorentina, Nordsjaelland and several German clubs looking for a move.

He says he wants first team football. We can't offer that (he isn't a guaranteed starter for the U23s) and so I wouldn't be surprised to see us cut ties and let him get it elsewhere.
I don't want to see our club bullied by agents ot players. He still has a contract /2 years left as far as I know/ with Liverpool and Klopp definitely likes him, because he was one of the few youngsters that travelled with the main group to USA.
Man City also thought that Sancho had no chance to displace any of their front three, but look how things changed. If we let Duncan leave so easily that will be a great example of the next youngsters that want to leave the club, looking for new pastures. And that will also show the club looking weak and easy to manipulate.
Duncan is a top talent, he scored bags of goals, was instrumental in leading the club to the youth FA cup and scoring in the process 32 goals /top scorer of Liverpool U 18/ in all competitions.
The club will hopefully stand firm /like in Kent's situation/ and sooner rather than later LFC will reap the rewards while keeping in the club its best talents.

Reactions: J_M

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I don't want to see our club bullied by agents ot players. He still has a contract /2 years left as far as I know/ with Liverpool and Klopp definitely likes him, because he was one of the few youngsters that travelled with the main group to USA.
Man City also thought that Sancho had no chance to displace any of their front three, but look how things changed. If we let Duncan leave so easily that will be a great example of the next youngsters that want to leave the club, looking for new pastures. And that will also show the club looking weak and easy to manipulate.
Duncan is a top talent, he scored bags of goals, was instrumental in leading the club to the youth FA cup and scoring in the process 32 goals /top scorer of Liverpool U 18/ in all competitions.
The club will hopefully stand firm /like in Kent's situation/ and sooner rather than later LFC will reap the rewards while keeping in the club its best talents.
Duncan's major problem is he is a no.9 and that's it. He isn't flexible like Glatzel or Brewster in the fact they can drop deep (as a no.10) or play as a wide forward. That means his minutes will be limited and as Sweeting says he isn't better than either of those two (and doubt he will be ever).

So him moving on makes a lot of sense.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Duncan's major problem is he is a no.9 and that's it. He isn't flexible like Glatzel or Brewster in the fact they can drop deep (as a no.10) or play as a wide forward. That means his minutes will be limited and as Sweeting says he isn't better than either of those two (and doubt he will be ever).

So him moving on makes a lot of sense.
This is my opinion as well. There obviously is something about him (it's rather unfortunate that he will be mostly remembered as "Stevie G's little cousin"), I think he's a decent finisher and that he has a bit of single-mindedness and arrogance about him in the box but compare him to Glatzel and I think he's found wanting in the technical and tactical department (not that Glatzel is the second coming of Thomas Mueller, of course, and his injury issues will most likely cost him his Liverpool career, unfortunately).

I wouldn't mind him being sold to Fiorentina if the deal was one of those "Michael Edwards specials" that we've grown accustomed to in the past two years - appearance clauses, sell-on fees etc. Besides, I think that club will be looking to invest much more time and energy into developing Brewster and Layton Stewart.

Sweeting

I guess it is all about perception but if we were to move him on, on our terms financially, then we are also sending a message to young players that if they can't make it here they can get a good football education and then we will let them go to a good club to get their football. That can be a selling point for a lad at, for example, Crewe deciding whether to join us or Man Utd.

Duncan is a prospect with a lot of upside, excellent goalscorer at youth level and room to improve but he doesn't seem to be a Sancho/Mbappe type talent.

I remember people getting really upset when we told Tom Ince to leave after he bigged up his "deals" with Inter Milan and Juventus. Most of these young lads won't make it at PL level. If they are determined to go, and causing a public fuss about it, I think it might be in their interest and ours to let them have their wish - there are always more youth players.

MarcusBerglund

I guess it is all about perception but if we were to move him on, on our terms financially, then we are also sending a message to young players that if they can't make it here they can get a good football education and then we will let them go to a good club to get their football. That can be a selling point for a lad at, for example, Crewe deciding whether to join us or Man Utd.

Duncan is a prospect with a lot of upside, excellent goalscorer at youth level and room to improve but he doesn't seem to be a Sancho/Mbappe type talent.

I remember people getting really upset when we told Tom Ince to leave after he bigged up his "deals" with Inter Milan and Juventus. Most of these young lads won't make it at PL level. If they are determined to go, and causing a public fuss about it, I think it might be in their interest and ours to let them have their wish - there are always more youth players.
I don't see the boy ''causing a public fuss''. He wants to play football at a higher level and thinks he can do that. Can't see the problem. A loan will be a good option for both LFC and the player /but signing a new contract is important. Last winter we had the same problem with Kane, but he signed his contract and continued playing for Doncaster/. If he is good enough he will come as a better player and his price will rise. If he can't make it /after 2-3 years/, maybe the club will be more cooperative about a potential sale.
And in my opinion Duncan is and will become much better player than Tom Ince.
Fact is he was one fo City's best players, then he realized that his progress will be stopped, because they spend huge amount of money and he decided to leave. Se he came back in his home town after almost a season out of the game.
He left because he did not see a clear path for the first team.
Brewster was in the same position, he was on the brink of signing a pre contract with Gladbach, but LFC stood firm and managed to convince Rhian that his future is with Liverpool.
I really hope to see the same attitude from the club in Duncan's case.

treboeth

I know it's IndyKaila (hence in here rather than the twitter thread) but I can't help but like the account even if it is nonsense, it just gives me a laugh (check out what he's said about telling Bobby Duncan's agent to deactivate, haha
Also tweeted 2 hours ago that Duncan is looking for a new agent.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Also tweeted 2 hours ago that Duncan is looking for a new agent.
Yeah but that seemed almost sensible. It's the tweets he puts out that implies he can influence people's behaviour that I find most amusing. I seem to remember he was going to get on a plane to sort Monchi out and then two days later Roma agreed to sell Salah and indykaila was making out it was all his influence, haha. I kinda love that crazy fucker.

So the tweet about where he says he told Saif Rubie to deactivate his twitter account (sent hours after he had actually already deactivated, see? I told him and he did it...) was typical indykaila. lol

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
I'm not sure that reading his feed is good for my blood pressure. Rage building...

Limiescouse

Balgue reporting that Barca and PSG have reached an agreement over the valuation of Neymar. However, Barca are allegedly insisting in using players as a makeweight, despite none of the players put forward being interested :)

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Yeah but that seemed almost sensible. It's the tweets he puts out that implies he can influence people's behaviour that I find most amusing. I seem to remember he was going to get on a plane to sort Monchi out and then two days later Roma agreed to sell Salah and indykaila was making out it was all his influence, haha. I kinda love that crazy fucker.

So the tweet about where he says he told Saif Rubie to deactivate his twitter account (sent hours after he had actually already deactivated, see? I told him and he did it...) was typical indykaila. lol
I’m not on Twitter.....but this is brilliant.

I’m not interested in celebrities and their narcissistic tendencies, I’m not stressed about finding the inside goss on the latest transfer activity, I’m slightly interested in what James Milner has for breakfast but not to the point of activating an account to find out everyday........but nobody told me you could find this level of genius on there.

I may just sign up.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
I’m not on Twitter.....but this is brilliant.

I’m not interested in celebrities and their narcissistic tendencies, I’m not stressed about finding the inside goss on the latest transfer activity, I’m slightly interested in what James Milner has for breakfast but not to the point of activating an account to find out everyday........but nobody told me you could find this level of genius on there.

I may just sign up.

Sancho nailed on... Lol

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Good luck for a good career to Ryan Kent. I hope he will be happy at Rangers for a long time.

Personally not to bothered about Duncan. Never thought he would make the first team.

Red over the water

Good luck to Ryan Kent. I hadn’t seen him in the flesh until this preseason here in the States. He had a turn of pace and looked full of running, but it was hard to say if top quality was there. Even though we give young players more of a chance than most teams around our level, it’s very difficult for them to break through here, given what we have become.

A Scottish fella told me Kent had a girlfriend in Glasgow so it sounds like things are coming together personally and professionally for him. Hopefully he does well there and Stevie gets them challenging.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
I fear that we are setting ourselves up for huge disappointment next summer, when there will be no move like that, and instead of that, a young unknown forward coming from Poland or Czechia will be brought in to the club for almost nothing*. I can already see the comments in here.

* ... before he rips up the league with his brilliance of course, and goes on to win the golden boot two years after. ;-)
Not Polish or Czech enough. Try again Edwards!

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Not Polish or Czech enough. Try again Edwards!
Sounds pretty German though and some fans are really keen for us to get players with German names. So we get this kid instead Werner or Havertz and play him alongside Glatzel and there's our Germanish strike force. And so, given that Robert is an ancient Germanic name, Bob's your uncle.

Incognito

The Normal One
Nabil Fekir claims that knee injury was an “excuse” for his failed move to Liverpool

He has opened up about the situation in an interview with L’Equipe, suggesting his former agent, Jean-Pierre Bernes, was at fault, and also claiming his knee is in perfect condition.

“You want the truth? You should know that even I don’t know it! I reassure you!

“I did my medical check-up and, after that, they decided not to make me sign.

“At one point, they wanted me to believe it was the knee. But there had to be an excuse while the additional medical tests at Clairefontaine were very clear.

“The knee, it’s fine and I feel fine. The knee, it has nothing at all.

“When you have nothing good to say about someone, there’s no point in talking. Otherwise I’m going to say things I’m going to regret.

“It wouldn’t fit my education. [Bernes] himself knows what’s going on… Today, I have no more contact with him and I don’t want any more, it’s useless.”

Link to article

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
Nabil Fekir claims that knee injury was an “excuse” for his failed move to Liverpool

He has opened up about the situation in an interview with L’Equipe, suggesting his former agent, Jean-Pierre Bernes, was at fault, and also claiming his knee is in perfect condition.

“You want the truth? You should know that even I don’t know it! I reassure you!

“I did my medical check-up and, after that, they decided not to make me sign.

“At one point, they wanted me to believe it was the knee. But there had to be an excuse while the additional medical tests at Clairefontaine were very clear.

“The knee, it’s fine and I feel fine. The knee, it has nothing at all.

“When you have nothing good to say about someone, there’s no point in talking. Otherwise I’m going to say things I’m going to regret.

“It wouldn’t fit my education. [Bernes] himself knows what’s going on… Today, I have no more contact with him and I don’t want any more, it’s useless.”

Link to article
Hmm. Seen a couple of suggestions in different places that we dropped out after some unreasonable requests from him via his agent, and his comments seem to imply he mostly blames his then-agent for the move collapsing, which would seem to bear those out.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Hmm. Seen a couple of suggestions in different places that we dropped out after some unreasonable requests from him via his agent, and his comments seem to imply he mostly blames his then-agent for the move collapsing, which would seem to bear those out.
That whole thing about Betis agreeing to sign his brother seems like something we might not have been interested in.

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
That whole thing about Betis agreeing to sign his brother seems like something we might not have been interested in.
Yep, it's that I'm specifically thinking of. Even more than the medical stuff I can see us just refusing to engage in that even to the point of not going back in once the price dropped so sharply this summer.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Yep, it's that I'm specifically thinking of. Even more than the medical stuff I can see us just refusing to engage in that even to the point of not going back in once the price dropped so sharply this summer.
I dont think that makes sense. That wouldnt tally with it being the agent's fault unless the agent promised Liverpool that we didnt need to sign the brother - and then Fekir kicked off about it. And, if he had, then i am sure we would have heard about that much more at the time than we did.