• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Joe Gomez x

Mbappé

Mané - Firmino - Salah

Keïta - Fabinho

Robertson - v.Dijk - Matip - Trent

Alisson

That lineup gave me a hard-on . Only thing is I would replace Keita for Henderson due to it already having quite an attacking presence along with our fullbacks , I reckon we just keep Fab-Hendo to keep it firm while everyone else attacks and maybe Keita in the latter stages for Bobby.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
We're such a long way off a line up like that. Salah would have to start defending (more) for the first time since he's been here and Keita... well. He needs to start performing first and foremost in a midfield 3 that we currently play, let alone 2.

Sweeting

We're such a long way off a line up like that. Salah would have to start defending (more) for the first time since he's been here and Keita... well. He needs to start performing first and foremost in a midfield 3 that we currently play, let alone 2.
I agree I think that lineup would be like Rodgers 13/14 all over again.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
I'm not going to enter dreamland for Mbappé and then bog myself down with boring details. ;)

Still holding out hope that Keïta can become a Gini+. If I was really committing to the fantasy, though, I would have put Gomez in there next to van Dijk.

[email protected]

Buy N'golo Kante and Mbappe and stick them in like that and I personally think the rest of the league would call it quits with that subsequent lineup and formation. So only about £270m off then really ;)

Incognito

The Normal One
That formation would essentially be 1-2-1-7 lol.
Becker - VVD Gomez/ Matip- Fab - ATTACK.

Fck defense, let Virgil take care of that.. :LOL:

cynicaloldgit

Offside by an armpit
Ad-free Member
That formation would essentially be 1-2-1-7 lol.
Becker - VVD Gomez/ Matip- Fab - ATTACK.

Fck defense, let Virgil take care of that.. :LOL:
It’s interesting to note that football formations have become more defensive over the years.

Managers play “not to lose” instead of trying to win.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Few bits and bobs from Honigsteins' latest Q&A:

On Werner: Bayern are out of the race at the moment. I don't know if the Man Utd link is really serious - he doesn't strike as a key signing - but it would make a lot of sense for Liverpool to at least take a very serious look. I have no information to that effect (on rumours of Liverpool starting talks with Leipzig). All I can say is that LFC would make for an ideal fit, in my opinion.

Sancho: Everyone's interested in Sancho. Man Utd seem to have made him a priority but LFC will think carefully about him as well, I'm sure.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I guess transfers like these depend on the future of the front three. Sancho would be a dream signing (and I hope he swerves Man United regardless of whether Liverpool are interested or not) but he won't come to sit on the bench and Klopp won't pay 100 million euros for a substitute anyway. Meanwhile, he reportedly decided against signing Werner or another forward as a promise to Brewster, in order to keep the path clear for him. Elliott is also in that equation now, as young as he is.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Yeah, I see a lot of posts along the lines of "I could see Salah/Mane (delete as appropriate) going to Real or Barca in the summer", and I can't see why. It doesn't seem to be based on any visible evidence I can see. Is it just paranoia? I even see rationale along the lines of their age and that "they're approaching 30". They both turned 27 a few months back, putting them firmly in the prime age for forwards. I get that it always looks good bringing in talented young players, but shouldn't we be looking to hang onto our in-form, in-their-prime players for as long as possible?

If one turns round in the summer and angles for a move - even though I can't see that happening - then obviously that's a situation we need to deal with and if there's no resolution possible then let them go and get in the best replacement we can, but I wouldn't personally be moving them towards the exit ourselves any time soon.
It's a little bit of paranoia, for sure. But this summer we all read the quotes from Senegal FA chief Saee Seck encouraging Mane to join Real Madrid as a "once in a lifetime" opportunity. So there's a little bit of smoke around the rumours.

I also believe a politician or someone involved with the Egyptian FA wanted Mo to join RM. I can't find those specific quotes. I can see Mo leaving before Sadio.

Regarding Mane leaving his deal with NB, that would also surprise me. They produced that beautiful signature "Maagum" boot for him in Senegal colours with symbols of his Senegalese heritage and journey from humble beginnings to one of the best footballers in the world.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Mbappé

Mané - Firmino - Salah

Keïta - Fabinho

Robertson - v.Dijk - Matip - Trent

Alisson

@Hope in your heart. Re: point #2. Just saying.
I understand your point, but a 4231 is a different set-up to the one we practice. Firmino would adapt to it, no question about it. But in this system, the forward is much more the go-to man (like Torres was with Rafa's 4231) and I'm not sure that Salah and Mané would adapt that easily to being played further out wide, farther from the goal and with more defensive tasks. Our current success comes from the total unpredictability of our front three. They can basically pop up anywhere, that's a great strength. You wouldn't have that with this 4231.

Anyway, I don't say that I don't want Mbappe at Liverpool, but for 200m+? No way.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I understand your point, but a 4231 is a different set-up to the one we practice. Firmino would adapt to it, no question about it. But in this system, the forward is much more the go-to man (like Torres was with Rafa's 4231) and I'm not sure that Salah and Mané would adapt that easily to being played further out wide, farther from the goal and with more defensive tasks. Our current success comes from the total unpredictability of our front three. They can basically pop up anywhere, that's a great strength. You wouldn't have that with this 4231.

Anyway, I don't say that I don't want Mbappe at Liverpool, but for 200m+? No way.
But if the club do the numbers and they stack up, why not?

What if someone produced a shiny coloured pie chart and linear graph as to why Mbappe at 200 makes more sense than keita at 50 from a monetary and playing point of view? Would you be ok then?

They really are just zeros on a report now, it’s not real money in the sense of it being able to solve social injustices.....

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
^ What he said. I'm not a proponent of "Ooh, signing a marquee player will pay for itself in shirt sales" (That myth was binned off when someone worked out how many jerseys Juve would need to sell to pay for Ronaldo) but he'd be a big draw for us, and I'd rather see the money we're making now be invested in the squad as opposed to shareholder dividends. Besides, with Nike now on board and Mbappe being one of their marquee names, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some "creative bookkeeping" attempted to get him in.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
^ What he said. I'm not a proponent of "Ooh, signing a marquee player will pay for itself in shirt sales" (That myth was binned off when someone worked out how many jerseys Juve would need to sell to pay for Ronaldo)
Actually this case would be very different next season as we stand to earn 20% of shirt sales revenue from Nike. So if the shirt is about £50 a piece, you're talking about 20m shirt sold to the public to recoup the £200m transfer fees. I think it is doable in 4 years.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
If a player like Sancho or Mbappe is targeted then of course it is not for backup but rotation with the front 3. As a good measure for consistency, Firmino is 30 in 2 years, Mane in 3, Salah too. Its not too early to get a huge player like Mbappe or Sancho in to get them involved. But I still feel Sancho is more like a Klopp purchase than Mbappe.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
If a player like Sancho or Mbappe is targeted then of course it is not for backup but rotation with the front 3. As a good measure for consistency, Firmino is 30 in 2 years, Mane in 3, Salah too. Its not too early to get a huge player like Mbappe or Sancho in to get them involved. But I still feel Sancho is more like a Klopp purchase than Mbappe.
Brewster, Elliott, Jones + another wide man is the next round of all star front 4. Sancho fits best for me.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Brewster, Elliott, Jones + another wide man is the next round of all star front 4. Sancho fits best for me.
Yeah although I would say Sancho is one or two level already above these 3. Sancho looks like he can take over any of our front 3 in a short time. Brewster probably still needs another season or two. Elliot at just 16 already is playing at a very good level. Hopefully like you say, these would be our Gen 2 monsters.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
I'm quietly optimistic all three will. Surprising it's Brewster who I think has the least chance.
I think it's goalies and strikers who have the hardest time breaking through at top clubs, arguably they're the ones the team is most reliant on for results (scoring and preventing goals). Particularly when the guys ahead of you are so good.

It's taken years of productive loans and a transfer ban where they couldn't get in anyone else for Tammy Abraham to be given a chance at Chelsea, and it could be that Brewster will need the first part of that equation (ie regular first team football somewhere) in order to flourish.

Sweeting

I'm quietly optimistic all three will. Surprising it's Brewster who I think has the least chance.
I suppose it depends on your definition of make it. It think Inglethorpe described it as making over 100 appearances for the first team, which Alexander-Arnold has only just reached, I think out of those three Elliott has the best chance just because of his youth and that he is already pushing the first team.

Jones and Brewster both have a chance of course and I wouldn't write any young player off but becoming a regular in a team as good as ours is just really fucking hard.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I'd have Mbappe for £200m tomorrow if I could (and probably sell Salah), but I just don't see it's realistic that: a) we offer that type of money and especially b) he chooses us. He's destined for one of the Spanish big two, especially Real.

cynicaloldgit

Offside by an armpit
Ad-free Member
I'd have Mbappe for £200m tomorrow if I could (and probably sell Salah), but I just don't see it's realistic that: a) we offer that type of money and especially b) he chooses us. He's destined for one of the Spanish big two, especially Real.
He might change his mind after we smash them 6-0 in this season’s quarterfinals.