• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
It's hard to believe it's all the agent's fault when he's currently playing for Betis at the price he went for........while working with a different agent. With @Zinedine Biscan and @Chewbazza on this one, think the brother demands came up and Edwards laughed and went home...
Given how far the deal got, and how eager the player was to join (and remains unwilling to apportion any blame to us still) I cant see how the brother issue would have led to us walking away completely.

Limiescouse

I dont think that makes sense. That wouldnt tally with it being the agent's fault unless the agent promised Liverpool that we didnt need to sign the brother - and then Fekir kicked off about it. And, if he had, then i am sure we would have heard about that much more at the time than we did.
This seems right. It was April when Fekir fired the agent that was representing him during the negotiations with us. Fekir and his brother moved to Betis months after. So whomever was applying the pressure to sign the other Fekir it was not the agent we were dealing with. There is enough animosity in this now that even if everyone starts speaking candidly it will be difficult to know what believe. However, it does appear that Fekir started to get wormtongued a bit with outside advisers coming between him and the agent. One suggestion is whomever this party is negatively influenced the negotiations with Liverpool causing us to ultimately walk away.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
This seems right. It was April when Fekir fired the agent that was representing him during the negotiations with us. Fekir and his brother moved to Betis months after. So whomever was applying the pressure to sign the other Fekir it was not the agent we were dealing with. There is enough animosity in this now that even if everyone starts speaking candidly it will be difficult to know what believe. However, it does appear that Fekir started to get wormtongued a bit with outside advisers coming between him and the agent. One suggestion is whomever this party is negatively influenced the negotiations with Liverpool causing us to ultimately walk away.
Possibly but they're not the reason why his value is now a third of what it was 12 months ago and the best team in for him were now Real Betis.

Limiescouse

Possibly but they're not the reason why his value is now a third of what it was 12 months ago and the best team in for him were now Real Betis.
Fekir's agent has kept his cards pretty close to his chest so far considering some of the criticisms of him that have been aired. My personal bias is to tend to have more faith in what little bits of information you get from such a source. To that point he has claimed two things 1) the knee issue was real, but liverpool were willing to try to find a solution, 2) this intermediary started poisoning the waters of those negotiations. Is it possible that the ultimate cost of the Betis transfer was closer to the fee we were trying to move towards? If this wormtongue did poison the water in the negotiations with us and then ultimately took over representing him, is it possible that other clubs were similarly put off and so like a stock being sold off by the time it reached Betis' level of affordability its supposed value was then far lower than before everyone else refused to buy?

KYRed18

Given how far the deal got, and how eager the player was to join (and remains unwilling to apportion any blame to us still) I cant see how the brother issue would have led to us walking away completely.
One reputation we have built in the market the past few years is that you don't pull one over on Mr Edwards and Co. We have this reputation for a reason. I am simply stating that it is not unthinkable that we got to the stage of completing a deal when an "advisor" came in asking for more money or we had to sign his brother at the stroke of midnight, resulting in us walking away. Reputations matter, and the perception of us walking away rather than being bullied into a deal may be a reason why he signed for Betis and not United or anyone else of stature for that matter.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
I'm more inclined to put the most weight on the knee issue for why we backed out after the medical, why no other big clubs showed an interest, and why his value has massively depreciated in 12 months.

If there was another intermeddler fucking everything up that would have been leaked, whereas confidentiality would be more closely guarded re a medical issue.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member

:rolleyes:
I don’t think that there’s a less “Jürgen Klopp-like” club than Real Madrid.

Except, possibly, the two Manchester clubs.

Nur der BvB09

Barca, Real used to be Big ones. Now are the Reds who dominates the Footballworld. That Dome Journalists can‘t keep quiet with speculations is nothing new. We ll win the Premier League this Year. After that even Shaq ll be valued over 100 m so why bother yourself instead of enjoying the best in Football coming from Anfield.

Red over the water

What’s left for Jurgen after Liverpool? Well, it’s all up to him and what he fancies, but I can’t see beyond Bayern Munich, the German National team, or retirement.

Barcelona and Real Madrid are plastic. Where’s the soul? Jurgen is a flesh and blood excellent man in every regard, and I can’t see him managing either of those two, or PSG, and he won’t take another English club after Liverpool. Arguably there’s Juventus if he wants to try another country, but I’m really not seeing it. He will stay at Liverpool or go back to Germany, in my opinion. But it’s years away!

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
What’s left for Jurgen after Liverpool? Well, it’s all up to him and what he fancies, but I can’t see beyond Bayern Munich, the German National team, or retirement.

Barcelona and Real Madrid are plastic. Where’s the soul? Jurgen is a flesh and blood excellent man in every regard, and I can’t see him managing either of those two, or PSG, and he won’t take another English club after Liverpool. Arguably there’s Juventus if he wants to try another country, but I’m really not seeing it. He will stay at Liverpool or go back to Germany, in my opinion. But it’s years away!
You never know maybe Japan or China? Rafa has done it.

Herb

Imo if he went to Italy or Spain it would be to manage the likes of Napoli or Atleti rather than a Juventus, Milan, Barca or Real. The way I see it, the appeal of being part of a club that has a special connection to the city and the fans within it far outweighs his need to simply put trophies in the cabinet at clubs that can easily buy it year on year without any real long term planning. The whole enterprise for him has to mean something on a deeper level.

Personally think he’ll end up managing Germany at some point and that might be it. I think he’s indicated as much in the last couple of months or so. I’m not convinced he could be arsed to deal with certain elements that are prevalent in both Italian and Spanish footballing culture.

Richard88

Imo if he went to Italy or Spain it would be to manage the likes of Napoli or Atleti rather than a Juventus, Milan, Barca or Real. The way I see it, the appeal of being part of a club that has a special connection to the city and the fans within it far outweighs his need to simply put trophies in the cabinet at clubs that can easily buy it year on year without any real long term planning. The whole enterprise for him has to mean something on a deeper level.

Personally think he’ll end up managing Germany at some point and that might be it. I think he’s indicated as much in the last couple of months or so. I’m not convinced he could be arsed to deal with certain elements that are prevalent in both Italian and Spanish footballing culture.
Klopp has previously spoken about the importance of knowing the language in a country he is managing in, as it's so important for his connection to the players. And for that reason I can't see him being interested in working in Italy and Spain. German national team is an interesting idea, and would give him more time with his family, but I think he's the sort of guy who wants to be working with his players daily rather than just for 1-2 weeks every few months.

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
Klopp has previously spoken about the importance of knowing the language in a country he is managing in, as it's so important for his connection to the players. And for that reason I can't see him being interested in working in Italy and Spain. German national team is an interesting idea, and would give him more time with his family, but I think he's the sort of guy who wants to be working with his players daily rather than just for 1-2 weeks every few months.
I agree with this as he is an all-or-nothing kind of person. He would get bored if he wasn’t on it - 24/7.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
My hope with Klopp is that if he does need a break every 7 years, we can give it to him - have Ljinders become interim coach for that season, and have Klopp return once he's ready.

I honestly can't imagine (or want to imagine) this club without Jurg at the helm, to be honest.

HKReds

Not sure if his break every 7 years is aligned with his belief that a coach get less effective the longer he stay at a club (unless there is a overhaul of the playing staff)

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I know it's a very unreliable source but this is the unreliable rumours thread and it is from the BBC's gossip page. Anyway, another name to add to the list of players that we're apparently keeping an eye on.
Liverpool are monitoring the progress of 20-year-old Netherlands striker Donyell Malen, who has scored 10 goals in 12 appearances for PSV Eindhoven this season (Calciomercato - in Italian)

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
The 7 years thing is almost certainly a coincidence.
I agree, I think he goes until he feels he can’t give anymore, whatever the timeframe.

Not sure of the maths on his time here though....

On one hand there’s the extra scrutiny of the English press and the weight of expectation at Liverpool football club which would make the lifespan shorter, on the flip side there’s the extra Adrenalin and .....not money.....maybe prestige/fact it’s the highest play field.......all points to probably a seven year period looking at his contract and squad......

Agree it’ll be a coincidence, but a pretty predictable one