• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
It feels like we're always linked with a January move for a random midfielder from the Prem. Last year it was Pascal Gross, IIRC.

Sweeting

On Fraser also, people will say he is having a poor year and that he is affected by not being allowed to leave in the summer (currently has 1 goal, 2 assists in 13 games) but it seems like a return to mean...

18/19: 7 goals, 14 assists
17/18: 5 goals, 3 assists
16/17: 3 goals, 5 assists

His 18/19 season was helped by getting flurries of stats; 2g1a vs Leicester, 2a vs Fulham, 1g1a Huddersfield (twice), 1g1a vs Watford and 1g2a vs Brighton

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
On Fraser also, people will say he is having a poor year and that he is affected by not being allowed to leave in the summer (currently has 1 goal, 2 assists in 13 games) but it seems like a return to mean...

His 18/19 season was helped by getting flurries of stats; 2g1a vs Leicester, 2a vs Fulham, 1g1a Huddersfield (twice), 1g1a vs Watford and 1g2a vs Brighton
We bought Shaqiri off the back of equally poor numbers.

Regardless, it doesn't seem that a move for Fraser is likely at this point.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Shaqiri could be sold in the near future for £35m.

Fraser who has 8 months left on his contract would be the perfect replacement. How much would he cost? £10-15m IMO. In the worst case we would sell him for +£30m in two years.

From the business side this definitely sounds like a Klopp transfer (Stewart, Ings, Solanke).

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team

Fraser who has 8 months left on his contract would be the perfect replacement. How much would he cost? £10-15m IMO. In the worst case we would sell him for +£30m in two years.

From the business side this definitely sounds like a Klopp transfer (Stewart, Ings, Solanke).
He'll cost at least 30 million in todays market I'd imagine. I heard there were concerns about his fitness/lifestyle so if thats true Klopp wouldn't want him I'd think. I'm all for more Scots in the team though

Notasuperfan

I like him, yes. I've only watched him for the national team before our games vs Genk, so I was curious to see how he'd do against a top European team. He was heavily linked with Sevilla the last two summer windows, but the move didn't happen for some reason.

At first glance he looks like a deep lying player, with his build and passing ability. And I think that seems like the best role for him, be it as the single pivot or in more of a duo. But he's also pretty fast and agile for his size, which we saw when he got back to tackle Ox. Can also advance with the ball through midfield. So I think it's possible he could play as a shuttler in Klopp's system.

The combination of qualities is what makes him very interesting for me. His skill set is sort of unicorn-like (one for the NBA fans). I was thinking during the game this week he might be the player we were hoping Grujic would become: a big midfield presence who can play as well as cover ground with and without the ball.

And the price wouldn't be bad either, apparently; €25m was mentioned recently. So I could see the temptation, for Liverpool and many other big clubs. My guess is we'll keep watching him and see how he takes the next level, when he inevitably moves.
25 million for someone who is going to be Milner MKII is quite a snip!

Sweeting

To add to this I've just taken a look at a Bournemouth forum (https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/fraser-interview.10287/page-3) and it seems that most people are in agreement that Wilson will be a much better player than Fraser and Fraser's level is that of West Ham/Everton.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
According to the Daily Mail, Fox Sports, ESPN and various other media outlets, Tottenham is "lining up a £50M January bid for Memphis Depay". Unless he's a nailed on starter each week, sort of an odd move for me. Poch's use of Moura is confusing so I can't imagine Memphis being happy with a part time role at Spurs.

Limiescouse

According to the Daily Mail, Fox Sports, ESPN and various other media outlets, Tottenham is "lining up a £50M January bid for Memphis Depay". Unless he's a nailed on starter each week, sort of an odd move for me. Poch's use of Moura is confusing so I can't imagine Memphis being happy with a part time role at Spurs.
Aye, they already have good players who have performed well for them in that area of the pitch who are not getting that many games. Seems like an odd part of the side to focus on. Unless of course they are preparing to sell Son to us.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.

Shaqiri is 28. We're also not a buying & selling dealer here. While it's also good to have a look at prices and sale value in the future, we first and foremost need (better) footballers than we have in our attacking depth, it's just logic. I like wee man Fraser, but never liked him from a top 6 club perspective. Origi is also becoming more of a cult hero rather than someone I'd have for years to come. It's up to them to earn it of course (Origi is at least fitter now and is contributing somewhat, Shaqiri is built like Hulk but can't stay fit, oh the irony), but as things stand I hope we improve the team/squad.

Sweeting

Shaqiri is 28. We're also not a buying & selling dealer here. While it's also good to have a look at prices and sale value in the future, we first and foremost need (better) footballers than we have in our attacking depth, it's just logic. I like wee man Fraser, but never liked him from a top 6 club perspective. Origi is also becoming more of a cult hero rather than someone I'd have for years to come. It's up to them to earn it of course (Origi is at least fitter now and is contributing somewhat, Shaqiri is built like Hulk but can't stay fit, oh the irony), but as things stand I hope we improve the team/squad.
Origi is quick, strong, knows our system and scores important goals - and yet you get the feeling that he isn't actually all that good... I certainly wouldn't want to bring someone in who isn't clearly better than him or someone with a similar skill set but with more room to grow.

Sweeting

Aye, they already have good players who have performed well for them in that area of the pitch who are not getting that many games. Seems like an odd part of the side to focus on. Unless of course they are preparing to sell Son to us.
If they spend big on a winger before they address their full back situation it has to be considered borderline negligent.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Origi is quick, strong, knows our system and scores important goals - and yet you get the feeling that he isn't actually all that good... I certainly wouldn't want to bring someone in who isn't clearly better than him or someone with a similar skill set but with more room to grow.
I think he just lost himself for a while. Looked like he lost motivation after that meh loan in Germany. Couldn't earn even minimal minutes due to the likes of Sturridge, Ings and Solanke still being here. We were looking who merits that time and chance for our staff to try and develop them. We tried with Solanke. Origi probably looked at us really improving, becoming one of Europe's best sides. And thinking. Does he go back to a loan/permanent move to another Wolfsburg (or xy German club not in European competitions) of the world, or realizes a chance that slowly opened up again here to be a squad player, but be involved in winning a few major trophies. Try and regain that hunger, be more humble, appreciate that you're still part of Liverpool and fans generally like you (or at least don't have a problem as long as you give 100% and you're not an idiot off the pitch), focus on Klopp's principles, get fitter, play simpler, accept playing anywhere, etc. I liked the deal when we bought him back in 2014. Origi and Can were good value for money back then. He probably looked best under Klopp in 2016. But we've made a few steps since then and he hasn't quite developed. So for now... even if he got 5 years from us, he cannot relax. Give your all every day, try and earn another season and another season. Because the gap between our attacking starters and backups is still quite big and even if it's not time yet, as our front 3 are in their peak years, sooner or later we'll have to think about that as well.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Origi is a funny one, he has some great attributes but in my opinion lacks the footballing brain to exercise them to the full potential.
He is a reactive player, for example the Goal against Barca, if he had time to think about it he would have missed - i appreciate this could be aimed at a lot of forwards.
For the time being he is what he is, an impact player, a plan B, something different to what we have, someone who can offer nothing all game and then all of a sudden score 2.
I respect him, he is an honest player, doesnt moan and works for the team and seems to (recently) have a bit of fortune about him.
Whether he will ‘get it’, ‘gain confidence in his ability’ time will tell. What ever happens, to write your name into a Club like Liverpool FC’s folklore and to be still talked about in 50 years time is not a bad result in life.

OzzyKop

We need an attacking Mid option for the short term, Also to rotate and give one of the forward extra rest time if needed while still keeping our sharp attacking Arrow. Anyone Fancy Gerard Deulofeu maybe in a sneaky Bid??? I have been watching him for watford and somehow i am convinced he would suit Klopp Style as another option for more conservative option as a 4-3-1-2 Formation.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Unless of course they are preparing to sell Son to us.
Would honestly prefer Son to Mbappe.

Would be a perfect fit, can rotate anywhere across the front 3 allowing us to
rotate and rest with no drop off at all. One on one’s in open play he is unstoppable so he would thrive in our system with the space and supply he would get especially on the quick counter. He would cost probably one third of what Mbappe is likely to cost us in Transfer fee and wages and wouldnt have the pressure and expectation of a 200mil plus fee on his shoulders.

Most importantly he is a really level headed, hard working player who wouldnt jump up and down if he had to fight for his place in the team and wouldnt have the media circus following his every move nor would we have to put up with the “being chased by Madrid” media bullshit every window either.

Obviously an amazing player but I think a player like Son would be a better fit for us. Certainly wouldnt have to sell Salah or Mane or whoever to clear a place for him like we would with Mbappe.

nikz200

Origi is a squad player and a great one at that. You can tell the different dimension he gives when he comes on. There are games where he also knows where the goals are, a quality needed for all great teams. Bloody City and united had these players who would come off the bench and save their asses, so in that sense Origi is the player we need for this current squad.

Personally more important than getting Mbappe, we should invest in Haaland. He is a player we need to look into locking down, smart , fast and a sense of positioning, he also contributes to overall play. He is young enough that we can hold him even further. I feel like while Mbappe is a fantastic footballer, the cost of signing him, plus wages and agent fees is going to be a huge turn off. If there is a direct path to signing Mbappe then sure, but otherwise, i don't know if the Nike connect is enough, unless Lebron is nudging him in the ribs to sign for us.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member

rotate and rest with no drop off at all. One on one’s in open play he is unstoppable so he would thrive in our system with the space and supply he would get especially on the quick counter. He would cost probably one third of what Mbappe is likely to cost us in Transfer fee and wages and wouldnt have the pressure and expectation of a 200mil plus fee on his shoulders.

Most importantly he is a really level headed, hard working player who wouldnt jump up and down if he had to fight for his place in the team and wouldnt have the media circus following his every move nor would we have to put up with the “being chased by Madrid” media bullshit every window either.

Obviously an amazing player but I think a player like Son would be a better fit for us. Certainly wouldnt have to sell Salah or Mane or whoever to clear a place for him like we would with Mbappe.
According to Le Parisien via Calciomercato, via the Beeb's gossip page, "Real Madrid are considering a world record offer of £340m for Paris St Germain's 20-year-old striker Kylian Mbappe".

If there is any shred of truth in the rumour, I cannot see Mbappe ever coming here as I don't see us bidding anywhere like that sort of stupid money. And that isn't a criticism of FSG.

Limiescouse

According to Le Parisien via Calciomercato, via the Beeb's gossip page, "Real Madrid are considering a world record offer of £340m for Paris St Germain's 20-year-old striker Kylian Mbappe".

If there is any shred of truth in the rumour, I cannot Mbappe ever coming here as I don't see us bidding anywhere like that sort of stupid money. And that isn't a criticism of FSG.
On the surface, sure. However, the current quotes for Haaland are 100 million quid, and so there does become a point at which the premium you pay for youthful not yet realized talent is so high that it makes business sense to say "screw it, let's pay a little bit* more for the real deal."

*i this case 240 million is more than a "little bit"

Last edited:

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
100m for Haaland seems wildly overpriced to me. I think I read 75m euro a couple of weeks ago, which also seems over the top. Can't remember the source though. I doubt Liverpool go near him at that price level, unless they see him as a must have player - which I don't think they do.

He'll probably become a very good player and score a lot of goals in the right team, but I don't see him as a type the likes of City or Liverpool will be interested in. Just don't think he has the skill set they look for in a striker.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
On the surface, sure. However, the current quotes for Haaland are 100 million quid, and so there does become a point at which the premium you pay for youthful not yet realized talent is so high that it makes business sense to say "screw it, let's pay a little bit* more for the real deal."

*i this case 240 million is more than a "little bit"
I agree, that in the current insane state of the market, clubs will have to pay an obscene amount of money for "in demand" players.

But in all honesty, who would disagree that £340 million, for a single player, is beyond obscene and exceeds the profane? It's really, really offensive.

Flobs

FADA
Origi is a funny one, he has some great attributes but in my opinion lacks the footballing brain to exercise them to the full potential.
He is a reactive player, for example the Goal against Barca, if he had time to think about it he would have missed - i appreciate this could be aimed at a lot of forwards.
For the time being he is what he is, an impact player, a plan B, something different to what we have, someone who can offer nothing all game and then all of a sudden score 2.
I respect him, he is an honest player, doesnt moan and works for the team and seems to (recently) have a bit of fortune about him.
Whether he will ‘get it’, ‘gain confidence in his ability’ time will tell. What ever happens, to write your name into a Club like Liverpool FC’s folklore and to be still talked about in 50 years time is not a bad result in life.
I think he just lacks agression most of the time. Other than that he's got it all technical ability, strength, speed, eye for a pas and an eye for the goal.

Flobs

FADA

Your kidding, no?
Mbappe is the only player that could really cause a dilema for Klopp to our front 3.

Red over the water

Son is a tidy player and would not look out of place in our squad/team. But Mbappe is another level to that, as the price would show. If Real Madrid have offered €340M I can’t see any way forward for us on that one, even with cash, Nike, Lebrun James, etc.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member

If there is any shred of truth in the rumour, I cannot see Mbappe ever coming here as I don't see us bidding anywhere like that sort of stupid money. And that isn't a criticism of FSG.
That's more than FSG paid for us!

OzzyKop

Son is a tidy player and would not look out of place in our squad/team. But Mbappe is another level to that, as the price would show. If Real Madrid have offered €340M I can’t see any way forward for us on that one, even with cash, Nike, Lebrun James, etc.
If that is true then no way to match that price, the only way is to kidnap him force him to sign for a cheaper deal then kill all the kidnappers. lol

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Your kidding, no?
Mbappe is the only player that could really cause a dilema for Klopp to our front 3.
Not kidding at all, appreciate his talent is next level and all but I think we have the best front 3 in the world right now however it gets a bit slim depth wise when we need to rotate we dont really have a like for like of equivalent quality that can seamlessly slot in.

Id love that 4th player to be Son, think he brings the depth and quality we need without us having to make significant changes to what is currently working very well for us.

I also think in addition to the financial and media related issues I raised before I think spending say 250 mil on one player is too much risk. We spend that on him we certainly aint bringing in any other players and then Murphy’s law and all that imagine he does his knee or worse. The Prem is far more physical than anything he’s experianced in France or Europe and we know the UK press aint overly forgiving if he didnt hit the ground running and bag 30 goals his first season the media would be calling him a flop.

Given how smart and tactical we have been in recent times with recruitment It would be a very un Klopp/Edwards signing IMO just too many potential issues/possibilities. The only club dumb enough to make the deal at that price is Real Madrid.

I dont doubt his ability at all btw just the cost/risk scenario doesnt add up for me.