• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

ptt

2020, head of the table.
I agree, that in the current insane state of the market, clubs will have to pay an obscene amount of money for "in demand" players.

But in all honesty, who would disagree that £340 million, for a single player, is beyond obscene and exceeds the profane? It's really, really offensive.
Go back 30 years and justify £80m for VVD.

Flobs

FADA
Not kidding at all, appreciate his talent is next level and all but I think we have the best front 3 in the world right now however it gets a bit slim depth wise when we need to rotate we dont really have a like for like of equivalent quality that can seamlessly slot in.

Id love that 4th player to be Son, think he brings the depth and quality we need without us having to make significant changes to what is currently working very well for us.

I also think in addition to the financial and media related issues I raised before I think spending say 250 mil on one player is too much risk. We spend that on him we certainly aint bringing in any other players and then Murphy’s law and all that imagine he does his knee or worse. The Prem is far more physical than anything he’s experianced in France or Europe and we know the UK press aint overly forgiving if he didnt hit the ground running and bag 30 goals his first season the media would be calling him a flop.

Given how smart and tactical we have been in recent times with recruitment It would be a very un Klopp/Edwards signing IMO just too many potential issues/possibilities. The only club dumb enough to make the deal at that price is Real Madrid.

I dont doubt his ability at all btw just the cost/risk scenario doesnt add up for me.
He's experienced similar intensity and physicallity in France just not on a regular basis, it depends on who you play in france very diverse styles and that which is why France is a good hunting ground (as well as the quality of there 'academies').
If your looking for 4th-5th choices then someone young can fit the bill and be of greater interest. Mbappe would challenge the established order and that's what you want to progress.
As for price I don't see how that fits in to your original statement though yes, that is a big issue here. I suppose you are looking at Son coming on a free, no?

Last edited:

Red over the water

I appreciate the money is ridiculous, but if a career threatening/ending injury happened to a player, presumably insurance would be in place. Obviously to underwrite 300M would be a lot more of a premium than 30M or 3M or whatever, but that's part and parcel of having nice things!* It costs more!

There was a time when I could insure my old car for third party, fire and theft for buttons...

* As if a person could be a thing, but you know what I mean.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I appreciate the money is ridiculous, but if a career threatening/ending injury happened to a player, presumably insurance would be in place. Obviously to underwrite 300M would be a lot more of a premium than 30M or 3M or whatever, but that's part and parcel of having nice things!* It costs more!

There was a time when I could insure my old car for third party, fire and theft for buttons...

You'd have the imagine any sort of deal at that money would have to be some sort of collaboration with Nike.

Red over the water

You'd have the imagine any sort of deal at that money would have to be some sort of collaboration with Nike.
If we could just do it (see what I did there?!) I'd be made up. But if the sort of sum that Real Madrid are rumored to be willing to pay is the level we need to reach, it seems too far off.

Then again, I suppose I should never say never. Who knows what might be possible? We could be entering a new paradigm.

Limiescouse

Gianluca Lentini.

Once the most expensive player in the world and on the evidence of his first season at Milan was on his way to living up to expectations. He then got put into a coma after a bad car crash and was never the same person again, let along the same player.

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
Remember Lentini being added to that insane Milan team. Now look at them!

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
He's experienced similar intensity and physicallity in France just not on a regular basis, it depends on who you play in france very diverse styles and that which is why France is a good hunting ground (as well as the quality of there 'academies').
If your looking for 4th-5th choices then someone young can fit the bill and be of greater interest. Mbappe would challenge the established order and that's what you want to progress.
As for price I don't see how that fits in to your original statement though yes, that is a big issue here. I suppose you are looking at Son coming on a free, no?
Hence my point, sporadic isnt the same as week in week out at EPL intensity with respect to the French league it pales in comparison. In the EPL he will get pounded every week let alone the Christmas period where he plays 5 games in the Month of December at PSG and then has a break for what 3 weeks. How many games are we playing in December and then no break and straight in Jan fixtures.

And Im not looking for a 4th/5th choice player we have them. I’m looking for someone of similar level/style to our existing front 3 who can rotate without drop off. Son could literally play anywhere across the front so we could actually afford to rest 1 of our front 3 every game. Niggles become non issues as players can rest or make a brief sub appearance or something. Imagine we had Son right now to spell Salah whilst he has this ankle injury. I’d be a lot more comfortable with our upcoming fixtures wouldnt you?

In terms of challenging the established order, ok a point can be made there in some circumstance but on current form we are the best team in the world and our strikers are all in their prime and signed on long term contracts do we need to rip all that up to bring in Mbappe. Two or three years ago maybe but now why would we when we are undefeated top of the League and current European Champs. What we are doing is working.

And no Son won’t be coming on a free but he won’t be costing 250 mil and another 300k a week or more in wages either. There is no comparison really.

Alright Now

Son is a tidy player and would not look out of place in our squad/team. But Mbappe is another level to that, as the price would show. If Real Madrid have offered €340M I can’t see any way forward for us on that one, even with cash, Nike, Lebrun James, etc.
Agree on Son. The one issue with him is that he’s 27, or about the same age as our front 3. Seems like we need someone in the 24-25 range.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Lots of unreliable links in foreign papers on us being part of 4 teams with offers on the table for Sancho for next summer.

Going to guess 1 other (if true) is Utd.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Doubt it didn’t Nike pay some of the Coutinho transfer?

I’m sure as part of the Neymar one he got hotels or something by the sponsors (also owners) of PSG.
But the PL's 3rd party rules are a lot more stringent than elsewhere aren't they?

Could be wrong, but I thought the Premier League made cash for any transfer having to be direct from the buying club, not from any other party?

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I signed Diogo Jota in the new FM and he is doing well better than Sadio Mane.

:sneaky:

gasband

Ad-free Member
So far we have not seen Klopp signing a ready made superstar....not sure whether that will change. The owners have shown their support when Klopp wanted to splash the cash but whether that will be the case when it goes up to 200mil pounds for one player. I think realistically, as much as Mbappe be great, I think Klopp would rather shop "under the radar" most of the time. Sancho might be more realistic than Mbappe, but don't be surprised if Klopp pulls out an inspired signing like Fabinho. And I still think we need at least one signing in the forward positions. As much as we have Origi there and hoping Brewster to challenge, these 2 are not there yet...

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
So far we have not seen Klopp signing a ready made superstar....not sure whether that will change. The owners have shown their support when Klopp wanted to splash the cash but whether that will be the case when it goes up to 200mil pounds for one player. I think realistically, as much as Mbappe be great, I think Klopp would rather shop "under the radar" most of the time. Sancho might be more realistic than Mbappe, but don't be surprised if Klopp pulls out an inspired signing like Fabinho. And I still think we need at least one signing in the forward positions. As much as we have Origi there and hoping Brewster to challenge, these 2 are not there yet...
Say whaaat? Van Dijk and Alisson say hi. World record fees for the best in their position players.

wibseyred

Say whaaat? Van Dijk and Alisson say hi. World record fees for the best in their position players.
I partially agree but you wouldn't have considered either to be superstars. Very good players but not superstars. You just have to look at the derision of the Van Dijk fee at first.

gasband

Ad-free Member
I think they were very good players. Klopp made them global superstars, especially Alisson. And that is why I also say owners supported whenever Klopp saw the need to splash.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I think they were very good players. Klopp made them global superstars, especially Alisson. And that is why I also say owners supported whenever Klopp saw the need to splash.
I respectfully disagree, they would be superstars in any team in my opinion. They may have come to play under Klopp but I dont think they need Klopp to hit the heights they have, unlike some players he has turned into superstars - Mane, Firmino, Salah, Gini etc.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Agree. Van Dijk in particular wasn't at a big enough club to be regarded a 'superstar'. More a case of an obviously excellent player who needed a bigger stage.

Alisson was probably better known internationally; already at a big club, and the established no.1 for arguably the most famous national team in the world.

Red over the water

How much do we think Sancho would cost? It seems strange talking about him almost as the booby prize if we don’t sign Mbappe, but Sancho will be, by some margin, our most expensive player if we sign him.

Man Utd are interested and they have cash to burn. If Mbappe goes to, say, Real Madrid, PSG will be in there. Quite possibly one or two other Prem teams, like Chelsea, who have an attacking young team that looks like it will have a big future, or back to Man City, if Sané leaves them. I think he will come to us if we are in for him, but we will pay a lot. He is very good but not quite yet world class, and strangely, given the likely price, still not quite the finished article.

I’m guessing £125M.