• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Coutinho is playing badly because he is not at Barcelona, his dream club. Barcelona SC from Ecuador that is. Leicester is too good for him now.
Coutinho has been playing well for Bayern. He was dropped in part because they want Muller in the team as he is a local lad, but may want to leave if he doesn't play

MinniMo

I think anyone of our players who get 'courted' by either Barca or RM will be very wary after what happened to Couts. Right now they are playing for the cream of the crop, under the best manager in the game, and are idolised hugely by the fan base. Only reason they would leave is a) better weather & b) higher wages (possibly), but it doesnt always make you happier.

The Media were stating that Couts was sat waiting for a call from Klopp wanting him back, it didn't happen, it's never going to happen - he foolishly burnt his bridges when he left. But hey, I am pleased he got so much money from doing so, we now have as close to the best team going thanks to his 'funds'.

Incognito

The Normal One
The very same people that lauded United for signing Pogba and thought Maguire’s £80m is a fair price? That group?
Or this guy?
"English former professional footballer who played as a centre back, and current television pundit for BT Sport"

He's never wrong I tell ya..

Sweeting

Ibra? Maybe the media character he has created. Behind that though, there's a personality I think a lot of managers would like to have in the locker room.
Even if this is true, at this point it is impossible to separate the man from the persona.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
Even if we get past his ties to Man U, the level of disrespect that Ibra has for Pep probably makes Klopp feel especially cautious about signing him. They are not the same manager, but they're both very demanding of their players and are unafraid to be critical of those who fall short of expectations. Ibra wants to be treated like a King. Klopp isn't going to risk the chemistry he has in the locker room to bring in someone like Ibra, IMO.

Red Submarine

SIX, and counting.
It could possibly work on an Anelka-type trial: "Come the cunt even once and you're out the door". Can't see the guy ever agreeing to that mind.

Sweeting

He has also been playing in the USA where he was outscored by Carlos Vela and last year was outscored by a guy called Josef Martinez.

The fact someone just read the above and thought to themselves "that is still impressive for a 38 year old" is exactly the point - he is 38 and "impressive" for him thesedays is being the second highest scorer in MLS.

He isn't even close to good enough for us.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Sane is leaving. Sancho seems like the natural choice to replace him at City. That is without question a city-type signing. And I couldn't even imagine Klopp spending £125m and £150k/wk on a player that at best makes 10-15 starts. That isn't a Klopp signing at all.

Only way Sancho is coming here is if one of our world class forwards is leaving.

Mbappe? Klopp couldn't praise him enough but it's not possible for us to throw £250m+ at a single player. Not to mention, would you tinker with our whole setup to play him over Bobby? It's a no from me.

I'm going to suggest that we'll spend £40-50m on a relatively obscure 21-22yo who can learn from the best already at the club. And that will happen in the summer.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
All depends how long we can hold onto our magical front 3. Barca and Madrid WILL come calling.
Expanding on what Sweeting said, we are in a much better position to bat them away these days:
1. Players actually want to come, and stay at Liverpool
2. The club have been very smart and proactive getting players onto a fresh contract 2 years into a 5 year contract when they have deserved it. The Spanish cunts therefore can't cry for a bargain basement price due to '1-2 years left'. We are way ahead of other EPL clubs in this regard.
3. We are putting our best players onto the top end in wages. Wages that will make even Barca and Real's eyes water.
4. Who the fuck would go to an unstable Spanish club now? Why throw your career away? Who will your manager be in 6 months time? How many months before the fans boo you? Ask Cou for some advise on all of that.
5. Klopp

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
BTW, What's all this discussion of Ibra for? :LOL:Klopp is far too classy to say what he really thinks, which is that he doesn't even want to be within a footballing league's distance of him, let alone Ibra being let loose destroying our team from the inside. Ibra would possibly be the last player he would add to this team.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Sane is leaving. Sancho seems like the natural choice to replace him at City. That is without question a city-type signing. And I couldn't even imagine Klopp spending £125m and £150k/wk on a player that at best makes 10-15 starts. That isn't a Klopp signing at all.

Only way Sancho is coming here is if one of our world class forwards is leaving.

Mbappe? Klopp couldn't praise him enough but it's not possible for us to throw £250m+ at a single player. Not to mention, would you tinker with our whole setup to play him over Bobby? It's a no from me.

I'm going to suggest that we'll spend £40-50m on a relatively obscure 21-22yo who can learn from the best already at the club. And that will happen in the summer.
Why would Sancho go to City? He left there because he didn't think he'd ever get a chance.. He only needs to look at Foden to know fuck all has changed.

Limiescouse

I agree with the general sentiment, but it is again worth pointing out that the Foden narrative doesn't really work. Last season he had either the most or second most minutes in the Premier League of players his age.

Sweeting

I agree with the general sentiment, but it is again worth pointing out that the Foden narrative doesn't really work. Last season he had either the most or second most minutes in the Premier League of players his age.
Sancho and Hudson-Odoi were the only English players his age to play more minutes in a top 5 league.

Sancho: 2967
Hudson-Odoi: 1167
Foden: 1107

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Why would Sancho go to City? He left there because he didn't think he'd ever get a chance.. He only needs to look at Foden to know fuck all has changed.
If he's smart enough to leave City for minutes, why would you even be discussing him coming back to the PL to play for Liverpool? He has a far far greater chance of breaking into the first team at City than he does of displacing one of our two world-class forwards. Liverpool would be the worst place for him if he's interested in loads of minutes (with our current squad).

Red over the water

I sort of agree that Klopp might be inclined to go for an unpolished diamond around the 40-50M mark, rather than spend loads on Sancho, or even more (if it were possible) on Mbappe.

If we are going lower down, my guess is Chuckwueze. He's having a little dip right now, but in just the right environment he can become a 100M+ player in no time at all under the tutelage of Klopp.

Herb

If he's smart enough to leave City for minutes, why would you even be discussing him coming back to the PL to play for Liverpool? He has a far far greater chance of breaking into the first team at City than he does of displacing one of our two world-class forwards. Liverpool would be the worst place for him if he's interested in loads of minutes (with our current squad).
There could be the element of succession planning to consider. Who’s to say our front three will all be here in two or three years time, or performing to the level they currently are now? From his point of view it maybe makes sense to come here and get his feet under the table whilst not being under massive amounts of pressure to deliver straight away, whilst also being able to learn from three of the best players in the world in his area of the pitch and the best manager in the world.

Klopp has shown year on year as well that he likes to try and evolve our style, maybe in his mind he sees a change of formation to something resembling more of a 4231 or a 4411 with Firmino a bit deeper.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
There could be the element of succession planning to consider. Who’s to say our front three will all be here in two or three years time, or performing to the level they currently are now? From his point of view it maybe makes sense to come here and get his feet under the table whilst not being under massive amounts of pressure to deliver straight away, whilst also being able to learn from three of the best players in the world in his area of the pitch and the best manager in the world.

Klopp has shown year on year as well that he likes to try and evolve our style, maybe in his mind he sees a change of formation to something resembling more of a 4231 or a 4411 with Firmino a bit deeper.
I think you might be left disappointed if you think Sancho could ever be a succession plan on Klopp's eyes. Succession plan for him is Sepp van den Berg. In 2-3 years like you say, Salah and Mane will still be in their prime. Unless they are cut down by recurring injuries. And we wouldn't pull the trigger on a big money signing as cover for a recurringly injured forward until they had the level of recurring injuries that, say de Bruyne has at City.

I'll stand by my statement that we will throw a very high figure at a 21-22yo (maybe younger) rather than a kitchen sink figure for a Sancho type while Salah and Mane are still killing it and happy at the club. It's nothing to do with age but by where the players are in their respective careers. Sancho needs game time. Klopp tends to think of the lives of the players he buys as much as what they'll bring to the club. So much so that I don't think he would even chase Sancho given the stunting it would inevitably do to his career.

Imo Sancho should be staying put for at least another year.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
If we are going lower down, my guess is Chuckwueze. He's having a little dip right now, but in just the right environment he can become a 100M+ player in no time at all under the tutelage of Klopp.
What I've been surprised at is that we haven't gone back in for a player who has lost form and/or confidence while Klopp had been at the club. All those targets we missed that then went on to stink it up for their clubs the following year and our interest would completely disappear.

It seems they have always targeted players who can hit the ground running and not have to rework an un-confident player. Now that we are pretty much a complete team, I think it's even less likely that we would take a risk on a low-in-confidence player.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
What I've been surprised at is that we haven't gone back in for a player who has lost form and/or confidence while Klopp had been at the club. All those targets we missed that then went on to stink it up for their clubs the following year and our interest would completely disappear.

It seems they have always targeted players who can hit the ground running and not have to rework an un-confident player. Now that we are pretty much a complete team, I think it's even less likely that we would take a risk on a low-in-confidence player.
That might simply be because of planning. We're working on deals for up to 2 years before they happen. If we miss out on a player, its may just be because we have moved on from a planning, financial point of view - not necessarily because the player has underperformed.

Limiescouse

Very often it is not about games and minutes a player gets per se, but how important they are made to feel. Games and minutes are an obvious and easy to see manifestation of that, but it isn't a perfect relationship. One of Klopp's strengths is seemingly making the players who are not first name on the team sheet type important players feel like they are. On some teams you can have players come on for the last 5 minutes of a cup final and think they didnt earn their medal because it was garbage time minutes. Klopp has guys who never get off the bench in a final who understand that they too helped win that final.

Red over the water

You may be right, it all depends on the plan for the player. If we are expecting them to feature in the first team and hit the ground running with that, confidence will be important. If we are taking the longer view, then we could accommodate a dip, assuming the scouting says the playing attributes are there.

The context for all this is a ‘lower’ signing. On second thoughts we might shop as high up the food chain as we can go, with the signings of VVD and Alisson showing we will spend world record fees on the best in the business. We spent very little last summer and there’s a sense that we have saved up a few bob, and Nike are about to get on board. I’m not sure all that amounts to an Mbappe signing (we can hope!) but I’m confident we can spend a large sum of money, if so desired.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I think you might be left disappointed if you think Sancho could ever be a succession plan on Klopp's eyes. Succession plan for him is Sepp van den Berg. In 2-3 years like you say, Salah and Mane will still be in their prime. Unless they are cut down by recurring injuries. And we wouldn't pull the trigger on a big money signing as cover for a recurringly injured forward until they had the level of recurring injuries that, say de Bruyne has at City.

I'll stand by my statement that we will throw a very high figure at a 21-22yo (maybe younger) rather than a kitchen sink figure for a Sancho type while Salah and Mane are still killing it and happy at the club. It's nothing to do with age but by where the players are in their respective careers. Sancho needs game time. Klopp tends to think of the lives of the players he buys as much as what they'll bring to the club. So much so that I don't think he would even chase Sancho given the stunting it would inevitably do to his career.

Imo Sancho should be staying put for at least another year.
Was about to post the link Nikola did in the twitter thread. Sancho will move next summer, we are 100% one of the clubs in the hunt.. I think Klopp wants another player to rotate with Mane and Salah, as we saw last night Oxlade isnt that man. Sancho would be ideal, why wouldn’t we pay £100mil considering we spent nothing last summer and we need 1-2 players maximum over the next 2 seasons imo.