• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Four seasons of continual improvement, culminating in a season posting the third highest points total ever registered in the English top division, and winning the European Cup. And still there are people who seem to think Klopp doesn’t know what he is doing.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Don't get me wrong I am not suggesting he is a bad player by any means, but looking at the kind of money being bandied around for him I would want to be 100% sure he is the real deal and I am not quite there yet. When we were pursuing him in 2017 we were probably looking at £7m-£10m where as we now looking at 15x that amount.
Yes I agree, I just look around world football and there aren't that many who would fit the bill for us.. For that reason I can see why we may spend big and overpay even.

Havertz mentioned a lot on here could be an option but is he right for the forwards we employ? Or is he more Keita/Oxlade type etc.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
I keep wanting to say that I don't quite get the sheer amount of hype around Sancho and Haaland and then I chicken out. Something about both of them just makes me feel like they are not, and won't be, worth the money.

Sancho is very quick but I see a lot of straight line running from him that I am just not sure would happen as often in the Premier League. Everytime I see him he seems to have the freedom of the half to sprint into and didn't have to do very much to get there. Is that because he is superb at creating that space through off the ball movement or is it because the defenders in Bundesliga are shite? Or both? Not sure and wouldn't want to spend £150m to find out.

It might be heresy to say at the moment but Salzburg are the powerhouse of their league, renowned for attacking and chance creation while Haaland seems to be the perfect player to convert them. He is twice the size of most players in that league, he is fairly quick and has a predatory instinct but every striker at Salzburg thrives. In 2017/18 Munas Dabber scored 29 goals, the following year he scored 37. 2015/16 Jonathan Soriano scored 32 goals in 34 games, the year before he scored 46 goals in 50 and a guy called Alan scored 24 in 26 games. Salzburg is just too comfortable of a team/league for a striker to exist in to judge from and at £80m+ that is too big of a gamble, especially for a guy who mostly scores tap ins.
Agree on Haaland, that's not a player I would expect Liverpool to spend a lot of money on. Not the right skill set for me, quite similar to Lukaku: big, strong, fast, intelligent movement and finishing; but does his best work behind the defence, and from what I've seen isn't particularly good at the things a striker needs to be able to do in our system.

Look at the players Klopp tend to use when Firmino isn't starting, and how they play the position. To me it says a lot about what Klopp wants his striker to do. If he wanted a big and strong guy to get in behind the defence and mainly be a goalscorer rather than a playmaker, he would start Origi there.

Red over the water

Klopp is as good as it gets in assessing character. If Sancho passes muster with Jurgen and the team, we are all fine.

My take on it is he made a bold move and went to a new country to play football. He has done very well. At present he is in a small lull, relatively speaking, but it’s a normal thing for a young player who has burst onto the scene so forcefully. The complicating factor is he is such a valuable asset and 4-5 top European teams want him. I think Dortmund want to cash in sooner rather than later, and the rest of it is a bit of a PR war which the player can’t win. He is being made a bit of a scapegoat, so when they collect their £100M+ it manages the reaction of the Dortmund fans, somewhat. Didn’t want to lose such a talent, but for all that money - and he was a bit of a character - we did the right thing.

Jurgen will see through all of those games so I’m chilled about that side of it. If he passes the Klopp inspection, we’re in business.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers

Perfect thread for this article.

£42m seem a bit too high with 19months left on his contract.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Depay sounds like some e-wallet company, that looks good on the hype and actually is useless and goes bust on the slightest scrutiny.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
What if....Klopp signs a short team solution...
Like...ala....Steven...Caulker!!!!! *Gasps*!!!!!

Mark Thurgood

What if....Klopp signs a short team solution...
Like...ala....Steven...Caulker!!!!! *Gasps*!!!!!
I don’t see Klopp doing that as we are in a completely different situation from then until now. As champions of Europe, top of the premier league by 8pts and 11 over City. Plus a world championship on the horizon he will NOT in my view make a loan signing of that kind. The only thing that may happen would be, signing (for example) Timo Werner in January and leave him at Leipzig for the rest of the season as was what happened with Keita.
You don’t really want to annoy the Red Bull franchise because as they have so many good youngsters come through their setup over the years and continuing to do so.
A lot of the German fans specifically on this forum don’t like the franchise and they probably refuse to drink Red Bull out of protest, however I’m English so I see it differently.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
See him with Dortmund in the Bundesliga, he can play a bit but I also have been reading about disciplinary problems and a January signing......... I believe it when I see it.

Limiescouse

I get bad vibes from a player angling for a move in a Jan window this early in contract, especially given how much faith Dortmund have shown in him. Of course, it could all be bollocks, but it is kind of a catch 22 - the only way I would be comfortable with us wanting him is if he isnt pushing for move to us.

Limiescouse

Could we blame Sancho angling for a move to Liverpool, we certainly wouldn't blame VVD coming here when his contract w/ Southampton was fresh..
Again, with the caveat that we dont actually know how true the story is, but if true then it is very different than the situation with Virgil.

Red over the water

I suppose we could say this for all football related discussion... but I’m happy to trust the manager on this one. If Sancho‘s character passes muster with Klopp, then thats more than good enough for me.

My suspicion is a bit of a PR war is going on between Sancho and Dortmund. He has done very well indeed, and is now in a minor lull. He may have been late to a team meeting - nothing major, seems low grade; and at the same time he is concerned that he is being made a bit of a scapegoat for the fortunes of the team.

Dortmund know they have a valuable asset on their hands and will probably be OK to sell for £100M+ and reinvest it back into the team and hopefully not skip a beat and perhaps even improve. But to get the fans onside it all works a bit more easily if there is a hint of a cloud over Sancho.

Klopp will be well placed to know what’s what. And besides, if we are in for Sancho, there’s a sense in which he is coming to a top team, with top players, competing for top prizes under a top manager. Sancho will have to fit in with all of that if he knows what’s good for him.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Sancho is an amazing talent, no denying that. I wouldn't want Liverpool to overpay for him but that's Dortmund, they drive a hard bargain. Let's hope someone like Grujić will interest them if Liverpool are indeed interested in Sancho, help drive the price down. For what it's worth, I'd love to see him in a Liverpool shirt, especially if Klopp wants to remain there for a longer while. He can play on the left, on the right (though he mostly plays on the right in Dortmund), he's an amazing dribbler with excellent close control and incredible pace, although he's always struck me as a playmaker, rather than a forward in the way he plays. Of course, Klopp and Lijnders would definitely change that, looking at what they've done with other players at their disposal.

I've already said it, if Sancho could be obtained by selling Grujić, Wilson and Shaqiri, I'd be all for that. That way, there'd still be plenty of space for Elliott, Jones and Brewster and Liverpool would get the electric, tricky winger they could rely on when either Salah or Mane aren't available.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Sancho is an amazing talent, no denying that. I wouldn't want Liverpool to overpay for him but that's Dortmund, they drive a hard bargain. Let's hope someone like Grujić will interest them if Liverpool are indeed interested in Sancho, help drive the price down. For what it's worth, I'd love to see him in a Liverpool shirt, especially if Klopp wants to remain there for a longer while. He can play on the left, on the right (though he mostly plays on the right in Dortmund), he's an amazing dribbler with excellent close control and incredible pace, although he's always struck me as a playmaker, rather than a forward in the way he plays. Of course, Klopp and Lijnders would definitely change that, looking at what they've done with other players at their disposal.

I've already said it, if Sancho could be obtained by selling Grujić, Wilson and Shaqiri, I'd be all for that. That way, there'd still be plenty of space for Elliott, Jones and Brewster and Liverpool would get the electric, tricky winger they could rely on when either Salah or Mane aren't available.
I think thats key for me. We still don't have that player, Origi seems to have gone backwards again recently and even Oxlade is prefered to him which is a crying shame as Oxlade is simply not good as a wide forward. Brewster hasn't stepped up and clearly needs a good 6months of 1st team football to regain his fitness.

I really don't get anyone who thinks we don't need another elite level forward, we are rushing back Salah, just like we need an option for left back as we are overplaying an injured Robbo which long term worries me hugely. Depth is key and I think we can see how we still can't compete on all fronts yet.. That's the next step, a player like Sancho is exactly that.

big noyd

the bit about january makes me slightly skeptical about the sancho news--they're always coming up with narratives to push for the winter window, and we never do anything

but he's been linked to us for a long time, would be a great signing imo

cynicaloldgit

Green, not greed
Ad-free Member
they're always coming up with narratives to push for the winter window, and we never do anything
Suárez... van Dijk....

Yeah- we never do anything in January.

By the way, that’s not aimed at you in particular. So many people moan that we never sign anyone in January and it simply isn’t true. If the right player is there, we’ll get him.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I get bad vibes from a player angling for a move in a Jan window this early in contract, especially given how much faith Dortmund have shown in him. Of course, it could all be bollocks, but it is kind of a catch 22 - the only way I would be comfortable with us wanting him is if he isnt pushing for move to us.
I find it odd that both the player and his club appear to be pushing for a January deal....

Not Worthy

I find it odd that both the player and his club appear to be pushing for a January deal....
Dortmund, and Zorc in particular, have played the maximisation-game well for years. They have a commoditity they want to squeeze value from. Whether LFC is interested or not is immaterial. The hint will put others on notice and the price, up.

Perhaps Dortmund know, his time is at an end with them. they play hard done by and the fans get to see an auction; max value, good business. If we're involved, so be it. Good player, but not great. In the absence of (difficult to achieve) swaps, I don't see us posting £100M on this potential. Obviously now, it's nailed-on.

My feeling is, if it were us, it'd off radar.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Dortmund, and Zorc in particular, have played the maximisation-game well for years. They have a commoditity they want to squeeze value from. Whether LFC is interested or not is immaterial. The hint will put others on notice and the price, up.

Perhaps Dortmund know, his time is at an end with them. they play hard done by and the fans get to see an auction; max value, good business. If we're involved, so be it. Good player, but not great. In the absence of (difficult to achieve) swaps, I don't see us posting £100M on this potential. Obviously now, it's nailed-on.

My feeling is, if it were us, it'd off radar.
How many sales have Dortmund made in a January Window under Zorc and why the urgency now with Sancho? It just feels feels really odd.

Not Worthy

How many sales have Dortmund made in a January Window under Zorc and why the urgency now with Sancho? It just feels feels really odd.
Genuinely don't know about their January sales (or pre-emptive efforts), just their ability to extrct value. Odd, would be them not attempting to raise that price/auction option. As always, the source of the story would indicate the motivation.