• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Genuinely don't know about their January sales (or pre-emptive efforts), just their ability to extrct value. Odd, would be them not attempting to raise that price/auction option. As always, the source of the story would indicate the motivation.
But it's unlikely that value would drop between January and Summer windows. Certainly not enough to drive the deal early (unless we are buying him now for summer 2020). I would expect Dortmund have rarely sold in January. PEA might be the only one i can think of...

Herb

Perfect thread for this article.

£42m seem a bit too high with 19months left on his contract.
Klopp’s strict policy of no dickheads makes me think this bloke will never be on our radar.

Not Worthy

But it's unlikely that value would drop between January and Summer windows. Certainly not enough to drive the deal early (unless we are buying him now for summer 2020). I would expect Dortmund have rarely sold in January. PEA might be the only one i can think of...
I'm not sure who is releasing detail of Sancho's "attitude" issues, but I would suspect that that is connected to stories of availabilty. The genesis of those stories would indicate who is the keener for a sale.

I personally, think that it is Sancho's team and therefore not necesseraily Dortmund driving a sale. However, I don't believe that they're not smart enough to react to their best advantage, seeing the 'game' playing out.

Again, I don't believe it is us, as prime drivers. However, I do think that we would be interested, just not the prime instigators to force a move for Sancho.

Limiescouse

I'm not sure who is releasing detail of Sancho's "attitude" issues, but I would suspect that that is connected to stories of availabilty. The genesis of those stories would indicate who is the keener for a sale.

I personally, think that it is Sancho's team and therefore not necesseraily Dortmund driving a sale. However, I don't believe that they're not smart enough to react to their best advantage, seeing the 'game' playing out.
I don't think the stories of his recent disciplinary issues need any explanation other than that of a club dealing with a talented kid who was not entirely focused.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Always gets me this ‘playersreturning late from international duty’

Do they really book their own flights?, or if, as I suspect, he didn’t show up on time at Dortmund first training session back, then it should be ‘late to training’, it’s almost trump like in its continual wearing down of the international version of the game.

What is ‘late for training’ anyways?, surely being ‘late for training’ as a sole act ( late returning from international duty) doesn’t get you in the shit, surely it’s a series of disciplinary actions, in which case you can drop the ‘from international duty’, or it’s a beat up, which you can still drop the ‘from international duty’

It’s like the ‘got the flu’ or’theres a virus going through the squad’ , I always assumed that used to be at best, code for ‘got on the piss’, or, ‘the lads were on the piss’, and at worst, some form of substance use recently, which has no way of being hidden, recreational or otherwise.

I’m throwing back to the mid nineties here....can’t see it happening in today’s game.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
The big reason to seal a deal for Sancho now is to avoid a protracted bidding war in the summer, when a longer window affords clubs more opportunity to shift their wage bill to accommodate Sancho.

But I still that if this club is going to spend ~100M on a young Bundesliga starlet, I'd prefer they target Havertz. Perhaps they're planning to drop 200M on Havertz AND Sancho?

Not Worthy

I don't think the stories of his recent disciplinary issues need any explanation other than that of a club dealing with a talented kid who was not entirely focused.

Aye, I've seen the stories. As I said, I believe that the talk of him moving probably originate from his 'team' and not BVB.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Suárez... van Dijk....

Yeah- we never do anything in January.

By the way, that’s not aimed at you in particular. So many people moan that we never sign anyone in January and it simply isn’t true. If the right player is there, we’ll get him.
Suarez was 8 years ago. I think people mean KLOPP doesn't spend in Jan not Liverpool.

VVD is not a good example. It's well documented that the deal was meant to be done in the summer. For reasons well documented it didn't happen so of course we went back in for him. Also technically it was announced in December, which is not January, though i'm just being pedantic there.

The only other signings were Grabara (youth player) Grujic (who went straight back on loan) and Caulker who was an emergency loan.

51 players signed at Mainz, 5 of them in january.

32 players at Dortmund, 5 of them in January.

It's not that he definitely won't sign anyone but that he has a set of players at the start of the season and that's the set of players he wants to use, so he will always look for solutions to problems within the squad when possible.

Could Sancho happen? Possibly if Dortmund force the situation. If we are looking at him as an option for next summer but he is transfer listed in Jan, I doubt we'll sit on our hands. But there's a lot of ifs there.

I very much doubt we're actively looking for players to sign in Jan, but will be ready to react to unforeseen events.

Last edited:

Dave-D

Sancho would be the shot in the arm the team need to keep pushing forward.
Wouldn’t be surprised if he was purchased in January as Liverpool didn’t spend big in the summer so have the funds and they’d get a nearly clear shot at him as City really need a defender, Man Utd have Ole at the wheel, Chelsea can’t sign anybody, Bayern wouldn’t stump up the funds and neither Spanish heavyweights are interested.
It would be the perfect time to swoop if he is really unhappy he could well be willing to work his way into the team just to get out of Dortmund.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t expect it to happen but won’t rule it out.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Think Dortmund told Sancho that they won’t sell him until the summer and also named their price a few months ago and now Sancho wants to lower the price with coming too late etc. Aubameyang and Dembele did the same to them.

GermanRed

City definitely have a matching right and with Sané and David Silva leaving they could also try bringing back Sancho.

Dave-D

City definitely have a matching right and with Sané and David Silva leaving they could also try bringing back Sancho.
They have no defence, they need at least a CB they couldn’t afford a top tier defender and Sancho it would be one or the other and a CB would take priority.

GermanRed

They have no defence, they need at least a CB they couldn’t afford a top tier defender and Sancho it would be one or the other and a CB would take priority.
Who knows what they are 'allowed' to spend a year later. If they want to spend they will find a way.
FFP is a myth. We all know that.

GermanRed

Anyway, can’t see Dortmund selling in January anyway. Without Sancho they have almost zero chance to reach the CL again.

waldaz

TIA Youth Team
Obviously Pearce, King etc. will shortly tell us it's all bobbins, but:

Salah+Shaq OUT
Sancho+Werner IN

would you?

Jah_Pool

I think thats key for me. We still don't have that player, Origi seems to have gone backwards again recently and even Oxlade is prefered to him which is a crying shame as Oxlade is simply not good as a wide forward. Brewster hasn't stepped up and clearly needs a good 6months of 1st team football to regain his fitness.

I really don't get anyone who thinks we don't need another elite level forward, we are rushing back Salah, just like we need an option for left back as we are overplaying an injured Robbo which long term worries me hugely. Depth is key and I think we can see how we still can't compete on all fronts yet.. That's the next step, a player like Sancho is exactly that.
I completely agree with everything you say and last summer I asked about recruiting Zaha. Zaha will become available AGAIN in January. Why not sign Zaha fro 50-60 million and he can play anywhere across the from three. On his day he's unplayable and he would come hungry as he would want to win some trophies. For a replacement for Andy, I would have loved to have taken a punt on Danny Rrose who was actively being shopped around by Spurs in the summer. On his day, Rose can be very a very good player, in fact, he was Spurs best player in the CL final. If he becomes available again I would take that punt but I doubt it, as they now have Mourinho who will definitely not strengthen a rival much less us.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
Sancho, yeah right, not going to happen in either transfer window. Someone else will overpay for him.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Seriously FSG needs to find a Southampton equivalent in Germany, France, Italy.........

That way we don't have to crack our head who to buy.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Obviously Pearce, King etc. will shortly tell us it's all bobbins, but:

Salah+Shaq OUT
Sancho+Werner IN

would you?
That would be weakening ourselves. I wouldn't sell our top players.

Out:
Shaq - 30m
Wilson - 30m
Keita - 30m
Grujic - 30m
In:
Havertz - 60m
Mikel Oyarzabal - 60m
Eriksen - 0m
Hector - 30m
A net spend of 30m.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Always gets me this ‘playersreturning late from international duty’

Do they really book their own flights?, or if, as I suspect, he didn’t show up on time at Dortmund first training session back, then it should be ‘late to training’, it’s almost trump like in its continual wearing down of the international version of the game.

What is ‘late for training’ anyways?, surely being ‘late for training’ as a sole act ( late returning from international duty) doesn’t get you in the shit, surely it’s a series of disciplinary actions, in which case you can drop the ‘from international duty’, or it’s a beat up, which you can still drop the ‘from international duty’

It’s like the ‘got the flu’ or’theres a virus going through the squad’ , I always assumed that used to be at best, code for ‘got on the piss’, or, ‘the lads were on the piss’, and at worst, some form of substance use recently, which has no way of being hidden, recreational or otherwise.

I’m throwing back to the mid nineties here....can’t see it happening in today’s game.
Returning late from international duty means being on the piss in another country and missing a flight.

It's like having two supervisors- and the night supervisor goes home, but the day shift supervisor hasn't showed up yet, and they trust you not to burn the place down in the 30 minutes between supervisors. But sometimes it's just fun to play with matches.

International manager packs up and goes home, and trusts you to do the same, but you know, your in this other country and that bar looks like fun. Next thing you know, your team's rep is calling your phone, and oh shit I'm not even in the correct country and I'm supposed to be at work today. That's my interpretation.

LondonRich

It will depend on how our stats department see his output. If they see value & impact then we may well do it. More science than speculation.