• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
PSG sells on their terms. Pissed them off and they have all the money in the world to let a player rot until the contract is up. I hv no doubt that we would be attractive to most players but Klopp is very specific what he needs and its more than just being excellent at playing attributes.

[email protected]

Our front three will all be 30 by the time Mbappé’s contract expires.

#MbappéonaBosman2022
It is not unlikely that a Bosman will be the way he moves. The transfer fee alone is really think twice range for even the upper level clubs, maybe not just for the actual amount but also what will then be available for the rest of the squad, FFP etc. He is young enough and good enough for the additional 30 months to actually help him experience-wise and not hinder him and it will probably be a more lucrative move for him personally.

Richard88

Sancho is an amazing talent, no denying that. I wouldn't want Liverpool to overpay for him but that's Dortmund, they drive a hard bargain. Let's hope someone like Grujić will interest them if Liverpool are indeed interested in Sancho, help drive the price down. For what it's worth, I'd love to see him in a Liverpool shirt, especially if Klopp wants to remain there for a longer while. He can play on the left, on the right (though he mostly plays on the right in Dortmund), he's an amazing dribbler with excellent close control and incredible pace, although he's always struck me as a playmaker, rather than a forward in the way he plays. Of course, Klopp and Lijnders would definitely change that, looking at what they've done with other players at their disposal.

I've already said it, if Sancho could be obtained by selling Grujić, Wilson and Shaqiri, I'd be all for that. That way, there'd still be plenty of space for Elliott, Jones and Brewster and Liverpool would get the electric, tricky winger they could rely on when either Salah or Mane aren't available.
Long-term with Elliott and Brewster in the pipeline someone like Sancho's profile (age, quality, position, and versatility) seems like the perfect signing for this squad.

That way we could run with Mané-Firmino-Salah for the next 2-3 seasons, and gradually ease into Sancho-Brewster-Elliott which is a pretty similar setup to now.

Richard88

The big reason to seal a deal for Sancho now is to avoid a protracted bidding war in the summer, when a longer window affords clubs more opportunity to shift their wage bill to accommodate Sancho.

But I still that if this club is going to spend ~100M on a young Bundesliga starlet, I'd prefer they target Havertz. Perhaps they're planning to drop 200M on Havertz AND Sancho?
A wide forward and an AM are the biggest two positions of need next summer, given the profile of the squad in those positions (i.e. lack of depth in wide forward areas with Mané and Salah nearing 30, and Lallana and Milner nearing their sell-by dates).

As such, it shouldn't be surprising at all for the club to go big for two players in those positions, and Sancho and Havertz are clearly the two best options. Aouar at Lyon would also be another great choice in CM/AM too.

If you look at it from the players´ perspective too, it doesn't seem that far-fetched at all that those types of young players would want to join this team and club right now given the success off and on the pitch, and the strong harmony in the squad that Klopp has instilled.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Even if this was a reliable link, I still don't see where he'd fit. From what I've heard, he should be a superior version of Grujić. From what I've seen from two CL games and a rather impressive Norwegian national team, I'm not so sure he's the guy who would improve this Liverpool team (and that's why I think Grujić will be sold and why I thought someone like Berge wouldn't be of interest to Liverpool). Maybe Klopp just needs players who are as tall as him!

ubermick

He's gone! HE'S GONE!!!!
Admin
People still remarkably fixated on the prices of players, and applying the "pre-Neymar' pricing to things. Player transfers went absolutely mad two and a half years ago, more or less doubling over the course of one window. The new fat television rights that Premier League clubs get only makes it worse. Van Dijk is still our most expensive signing (by a substantial chunk) and is still only about a third of what Neymar to PSG ended up being, and that was almost two years ago.

Joao Felix went to Atletico for over £110m FFS.

Does my head in. For YEARS during Rafa's time, one of the most bandied complaints was "fuck sake, we have to shop at Poundland while our other rivals shop at Harrods." Incessant moaning about "Christ, we NEVER make a marquee signing, just ONCE it'd be nice to sign a proper top class talent!" Now we actually have the pull AND the money, and NOW we're moaning about "Ooh, well, I dunno, Sancho's transfer fee might be a bit high like, might be better if we lodge that money in the credit union in an account with a sensible interest rate."

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
I wish we bought Joao Felix.

I cannot see Neymar at our club because rumour has it, Messi wants him back at Barcelona soon and Messi knows he is aging by football standards, so may Neymar will take over from Messi.
Unless, the Brazilian contingent at LFC can convince him to live up North.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
They're clearly after Sancho - Simon Hughes said as much during this week's Red Agenda podcast on The Athletic (https://theathletic.com/podcast/140-the-red-agenda/?episode=4) - and that is a sensible thing for the club to pursue because of his age and ability.

There is ZERO chance in my mind that Klopp would want to pay for Neymar - a player who has missed as many games as he's played for PSG. He's obviously a world-class talent, but he's also has a universe-sized ego and Klopp doesn't have patience for players who are not completely committed to his vision and leadership.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
People still remarkably fixated on the prices of players, and applying the "pre-Neymar' pricing to things. Player transfers went absolutely mad two and a half years ago, more or less doubling over the course of one window. The new fat television rights that Premier League clubs get only makes it worse. Van Dijk is still our most expensive signing (by a substantial chunk) and is still only about a third of what Neymar to PSG ended up being, and that was almost two years ago.

Does my head in. For YEARS during Rafa's time, one of the most bandied complaints was "fuck sake, we have to shop at Poundland while our other rivals shop at Harrods." Incessant moaning about "Christ, we NEVER make a marquee signing, just ONCE it'd be nice to sign a proper top class talent!" Now we actually have the pull AND the money, and NOW we're moaning about "Ooh, well, I dunno, Sancho's transfer fee might be a bit high like, might be better if we lodge that money in the credit union in an account with a sensible interest rate."
For me I fully agree that we would be able to pay for Sancho if that is what it takes.

However what I think is Klopp will not get into a bidding war. Our purchase of VVD already showed that we can and will pay but Klopp didn't like it but thats how the market is.

"That is how it is. It's not nice, but that's the market, that's the world. We have to adapt."

But yet I just feel we will not splash the cash unless Klopp is sure the player is coming to us as his preferred choice and with the right mentality and not just because we could splash the cash, there is a very important difference there. That is why he said a few seasons ago he doesn't understand players in their prime like Oscar going China just for big money.

So yes we can, we could and we would not just because Sancho is flavour of the month but only if Klopp is convinced he is the right player for us like he was for VVD, Alisson, Naby, Salah......

jim bouki

Couldn't agree more. I can picture him coming to us for a 'reduced' fee even after jurgen tells him he's not going to be a guaranteed starter. That's the kind of pull we got at the moment

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin

Sancho is still too expensive if he costs the club £100m. Joao Felix's fee was lunacy of the highest order imo.

Going by the way how the club and Klopp work, they will go for a good player coming from a smaller club, pay a hefty, but still 'reasonable' fee for him, with an incremental, performance-based contract, and then develop him into a 100m-player within a couple of years (ie. Firmino, Mané, Salah). Sancho will probably go to Manchester or whomever is ready to splurge out a massive fee and a massive contract for him. As if he was a finished top player already, which he isn't by any means.

Oh and by the way, that Credit Union thing... (y) :ROFLMAO:

Hope in your heart

Admin
Ha, that's the kind of rumours I like! :giggle: And it's from Paul Joyce too, so could definitely have legs.

(...) Jurgen Klopp, the Liverpool manager, is the driving force behind the prospective transfer having been thrilled by Minamino’s performances in the Champions League where his quality, poise in possession and ability to pick a pass from an attacking midfield role was clear. (...)

Edit: so, who starts a Minamino thread? I want to see the customary youtube compilation from this lad! ;)

waldaz

TIA Youth Team
It sounds like it's done already. Makes sense, players like Sancho and Werner aren't gonna move in Jan, so that's the Brewster replacement Jurgen was talking about.

Hope in your heart

Admin

(...) Going by the way how the club and Klopp work, they will go for a good player coming from a smaller club, pay a hefty, but still 'reasonable' fee for him, with an incremental, performance-based contract, and then develop him into a 100m-player within a couple of years (ie. Firmino, Mané, Salah). (...)
The Minamino rumour came out a few minutes after I wrote that reply. I'm sure that before the double-header against Salzburg, no one here had heard from this lad. And yet, now it seems that we are about to sign him, he looks quite a canny deal in all regards. Not only the fee, but especially the player himself. Of course, there are no guarantees that it will pan out like for Bobby, Mo and Mané, but it's just the way how they like to work.

Interestingly, that signing (if it happens, fingers crossed!) all but ends the Sancho rumours, as Minamino covers the same positions on the pitch as him. And his integration will be a lot easier presumably, as he won't feel a massive transfer fee or overblown expectations hanging around his neck all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.