• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
People still remarkably fixated on the prices of players, and applying the "pre-Neymar' pricing to things. Player transfers went absolutely mad two and a half years ago, more or less doubling over the course of one window. The new fat television rights that Premier League clubs get only makes it worse. Van Dijk is still our most expensive signing (by a substantial chunk) and is still only about a third of what Neymar to PSG ended up being, and that was almost two years ago.

Joao Felix went to Atletico for over £110m FFS.

Does my head in. For YEARS during Rafa's time, one of the most bandied complaints was "fuck sake, we have to shop at Poundland while our other rivals shop at Harrods." Incessant moaning about "Christ, we NEVER make a marquee signing, just ONCE it'd be nice to sign a proper top class talent!" Now we actually have the pull AND the money, and NOW we're moaning about "Ooh, well, I dunno, Sancho's transfer fee might be a bit high like, might be better if we lodge that money in the credit union in an account with a sensible interest rate."
(...) Going by the way how the club and Klopp work, they will go for a good player coming from a smaller club, pay a hefty, but still 'reasonable' fee for him, with an incremental, performance-based contract, and then develop him into a 100m-player within a couple of years (ie. Firmino, Mané, Salah). (...)
The Minamino rumour came out a few minutes after I wrote that reply. I'm sure that before the double-header against Salzburg, no one here had heard from this lad. And yet, now it seems that we are about to sign him, he looks quite a canny deal in all regards. Not only the fee, but especially the player himself. Of course, there are no guarantees that it will pan out like for Bobby, Mo and Mané, but it's just the way how they like to work.

Interestingly, that signing (if it happens, fingers crossed!) all but ends the Sancho rumours, as Minamino covers the same positions on the pitch as him. And his integration will be a lot easier presumably, as he won't feel a massive transfer fee or overblown expectations hanging around his neck all the time.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
The Minamino rumour came out a few minutes after I wrote that reply. I'm sure that before the double-header against Salzburg, no one here had heard from this lad. And yet, now it seems that we are about to sign him, he looks quite a canny deal in all regards. Not only the fee, but especially the pléayer himself. Of course, there are no guarantees that it will pan out like for Bobby, Mo and Mané, but it's just the way how they like to work.

Interestingly, that signing (if it happens, fingers crossed!) all but ends the Sancho rumours, as Minamino covers the same positions on the pitch as him. And his integration will be a lot easier presumably, as he won't feel a massive transfer fee or overblown expectations hanging around his neck all the time.

Also I understand Marsch has been using LFC as a model to develop the Salzburg team on so Minamino should fit in quite qucickly and easily.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Memphis Depay won't be coming to Tottenham in January or any other club for that matter. He suffered a pretty significant knee injury today vs Stade Rennais. The club isn't saying but it looked an ACL. He is done for the year. I hate this news for Memphis bc he was playing outstanding football this season for club and country. Awful news.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
I like the Minamino link. I was impressed by him with the limited (2 times) iv seen him. For the reported fee its a no brainer!

If it was between Sancho for £120m or Mbappe for £250m there is only one winner and thats Mbappe, he is a one off, even if we were only used as a platform to Madrid, I would accept a couple of league titles and a profit for that.

brush85

I like the Minamino link. I was impressed by him with the limited (2 times) iv seen him. For the reported fee its a no brainer!

If it was between Sancho for £120m or Mbappe for £250m there is only one winner and thats Mbappe, he is a one off, even if we were only used as a platform to Madrid, I would accept a couple of league titles and a profit for that.
250m...and what would be his salary?

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter

Red over the water

Been in London these last few days talked to a bloke who said we are trying to sign Max Aarons but keep him at Norwich till end of year.
Seems like the sort of deal we might do. Young fullback, able to play on both sides, good level already, fast, and also with plenty more growth as a player to come. Would offer cover for Trent and Robbo.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Been in London these last few days talked to a bloke who said we are trying to sign Max Aarons but keep him at Norwich till end of year.
Aarons a true blossoming talent and fits the profile of the type of deal LFC would do. Was it a chap speculating or he has heard something specific? There will be no shortage of offers for Max Aarons if Norwich make it known they are listening. I do wonder if theyd even be motivated to sell at this time. Whether they say up or not, they know what they have in his talent and IMO his value will only increase. Selling now could prove penny wise, pound foolish.

EDIT: I think he plays primarily at RB for the Canaries. Don't know how often or how well he can play the left.

wibseyred

Aarons a true blossoming talent and fits the profile of the type of deal LFC would do. Was it a chap speculating or he has heard something specific? There will be no shortage of offers for Max Aarons if Norwich make it known they are listening. I do wonder if theyd even be motivated to sell at this time. Whether they say up or not, they know what they have in his talent and IMO his value will only increase. Selling now could prove penny wise, pound foolish.

EDIT: I think he plays primarily at RB for the Canaries. Don't know how often or how well he can play the left.
After communicating with friends in London just now I'm reliably informed the chap is linked to the Aarons family.

Red over the water

I wonder if we have a couple of players we could loan them to sweeten the deal? Norwich play good football and the likes of Brewster or Jones could presumably help them.

Limiescouse

He does. I have read that he has played on the left but I have no idea what it looked like. Him on the right and the lad from Coventry on the left sounds exactly like something we would do in the summer.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
He does. I have read that he has played on the left but I have no idea what it looked like. Him on the right and the lad from Coventry on the left sounds exactly like something we would do in the summer.
But where would he get Games? Presumably Gomez (If not starting at CB) and possibly Hoever & Williams would be looking to pick up game time at right back from next season .