• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Can't be. I've been reliably, repeatedly (and at extensive length) reassured over and over how it would be a ridiculous thing to do.
No you haven’t. You’ve been told that it would be very unlike us to drop that kind of money on anyone other than a stone cold first choice, and if we did move for him it might be because there is soon to be space for him.

At some point you’re going to have to get used to the idea that people are allowed to disagree with you.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
At some point you’re going to have to get used to the idea that people are allowed to disagree with you.
Ironically what I was considering replying to you but just gave up on the Sancho thread argument as just can't be arsed.

LFCFFC

Going to throw my hat into the ring and say if we do sign another attacker it'll be a bit more left field than Sancho, especially if Dortmund stick to their current price tag.

Someone from the Dutch system like Malen, Bergwijn or maybe Neres.

Now with that jinx out of the way, we're free to sign Jadon.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Going to throw my hat into the ring and say if we do sign another attacker it'll be a bit more left field than Sancho, especially if Dortmund stick to their current price tag.

Someone from the Dutch system like Malen, Bergwijn or maybe Neres.

Now with that jinx out of the way, we're free to sign Jadon.
For my part I'm not convinced it will be Sancho either but I do think it'll be a high profile player that may match or break our transfer record. I'm finding myself caught up in these arguments because people respond to me like as if I'm an idiot for having that opinion and because I think their reasons for writing off a Sancho or similar deal are flawed.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Can't be. I've been reliably, repeatedly (and at extensive length) reassured over and over how it would be a ridiculous thing to do.
There's no mention of Sancho. In fact, the athletic have also poured a bit of cold water on rumours like Sancho/Mbappe. There have been mentions of players like Cantwell and Buendia.

It also says at the end of the season, when we know Lallana will be off and possibly somebody like Shaqiri. I don't think anyone will disagree that we could do with another player if so.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
There's no mention of Sancho. In fact, the athletic have also poured a bit of cold water on rumours like Sancho/Mbappe. There have been mentions of players like Cantwell and Buendia.

It also says at the end of the season, when we know Lallana will be off and possibly somebody like Shaqiri. I don't think anyone will disagree that we could do with another player if so.
In pretty much every post I've made I've said bringing in one top class player allows two depth only players like Lallana, Origi or Shaqiri to move on. Having options and a strong squad isn't just about numbers it's more about suitability of the players and quality. James Pearce and the Athletic and others sometimes know when and what position we want a player for but they never seem to know the identity of the player till the deal is almost done. In fact if they are saying Cantwell and Buendia now it's as close to a guarantee as we will get that they aren't actually our targets.

Edit: I've also said multiple times that it may not be Sancho I'm not arguing Sancho is the player we need or will buy. I'm arguing it will be a top class player who will probably match or break our transfer record. Sancho would fit the bill but I've no idea if he is the right player for us (he looks good at the moment) or if he will be the guy.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
In pretty much every post I've made I've said bringing in one top class player allows two depth only players like Lallana, Origi or Shaqiri to move on. Having options and a strong squad isn't just about numbers it's more about suitability of the players and quality. James Pearce and the Athletic and others sometimes know when and what position we want a player for but they never seem to know the identity of the player till the deal is almost done. In fact if they are saying Cantwell and Buendia now it's as close to a guarantee as we will get that they aren't actually our targets.
Pick and choose what suits you to believe if you like, I was just giving you the full context.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
Fuck me, this is getting tedious.

I blame Jürgen: if he dropped a few more hints to the media about who the club is tracking, we’d have far more to speculate upon.

Klopp out!!!

I honestly think we just dont have the money for Sancho.

We spent the 140m odd for cout on VVD and Ali. Rest of the big buys players are c.40m

What we did do last season and this is resign everyone to long term so signing fees and increased wages are sure to take a lump from the transfer budget. Rafa complained this is what happened in NUFC just after he left so maybe it's the same financial structure for us?

I am not saying it's a bad thing, I think the opposite, but maybe it explains better the lack of transfers other than the moneyball signings ?

I think we have a budget, without selling, of 40 to 50 million, which because of Nemars stupid move distorting the market, means it's not a whole hill of beans.....

That said, I still cling to #mbappe2020

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member

We spent the 140m odd for cout on VVD and Ali. Rest of the big buys players are c.40m

What we did do last season and this is resign everyone to long term so signing fees and increased wages are sure to take a lump from the transfer budget. Rafa complained this is what happened in NUFC just after he left so maybe it's the same financial structure for us?

I am not saying it's a bad thing, I think the opposite, but maybe it explains better the lack of transfers other than the moneyball signings ?

I think we have a budget, without selling, of 40 to 50 million, which because of Nemars stupid move distorting the market, means it's not a whole hill of beans.....

Yes and no. I think we have the money if we want him, but agree that's because of the wise decisions the club has made in the summer which includes using some of the money for contracts, and picking up bargains like Minamino when the opportunity has arrived, instead of wasting it by buying any old player just to have numbers in the squad.

The whole outfit is thoroughly professional and provides the opportunity to buy a player like Sancho or Mbappe at some point IF that's what's best for the team.

Not Worthy

Rewarding success instead of reputation, makes a lot of sense and aligns operational spend with income. I suspect that money is/can be made available for most deals. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised by or doubt how we spend it. If Mane or Salah are, behind the scenes, showing signs of wanting an exit, we'll plan for it.

Two years ago we probably wouldn't have been in the conversation for Sancho/Mbappe (certainly not at the numbers quoted) or as a desirable destination. Now, nothing is entirely impossible, however unlikely (at those reported figures).

Richard88

If I would have to decide between keeping Wijnaldum until his contract runs out or bringing in any other CM in the summer I’d keep Gini 100%

So important for our game. Unreplaceable!!!
I think that IF Wijnaldum wants to leave for Italy, then the best case scenario would be to buy a young CM who can settle into the squad for 6-12 months before letting Wijnaldum leave. It would be risky to go into next season having lost Wijnaldum and Lallana while having a young replacement needing time to learn the tactical stuff. It took Fabinho and Ox 3-6 months before Klopp started using them regularly after all, and we should expect something similar with other midfield signings.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I think that IF Wijnaldum wants to leave for Italy, then the best case scenario would be to buy a young CM who can settle into the squad for 6-12 months before letting Wijnaldum leave. It would be risky to go into next season having lost Wijnaldum and Lallana while having a young replacement needing time to learn the tactical stuff. It took Fabinho and Ox 3-6 months before Klopp started using them regularly after all, and we should expect something similar with other midfield signings.
It very much depends on who the incoming player is and where they are coming from. Although there is also the sense that you dont just walk into this team, you have to earn your right to take a starting place from the incumbent.

Fabinho was held back because the club where building up his physique and because his positioning wasnt quite right for the way they wanted him to play in the side.

Ox probably had to develop a sense of how to play in a Klopp midfield, while having come from a club where he wasnt actually a midfielder.

Keita on the other hand pretty much came in straight away - but that migth have just been because of injuries to other players.

Red over the water

Lots of variables in who we might or might not sign, as ever. One thing I do wish is that we didn’t get our knickers in a twist over it all. No need to keep score on who said what, or snipe at each other. It’s not ugly, per se, but there’s a bit of an undercurrent in the last few pages on the thread.

My tuppence worth:

Brewster
We showed him the love and he signed a new deal with us. He’s a bit behind where he needs to be to break into the team, but he is young, and he is also a good 12-18 months behind where he might have developed to by this point, because of injuries. A loan is a good move. Hopefully he plays, scores goals, and kicks on as a player. If he does that he has every chance of coming back into the fold at Liverpool to make his mark. Good luck to him. I thought we’d see a bit of him in a red shirt this season, but the decision has been made that a loan is the right option at this point. Good luck.

Wijnaldum
Important player, versatile, really helps that midfield work. Not so good that he’s irreplaceable, but we all hope he signs a new deal. On his end I’m sure he’s considering his age, his options for where he might want to live, the money he could make with possibly the biggest deal he will have in the rest of his career, and obviously the playing side of it too - though we’re not too bad on that front at the minute! If he goes, Gruijic might come back and replace him as he is doing well on loan, or then again, Jones wants to feature more, and why not? Or then again, maybe we will buy Berge, or if we go big, Aouar or Havertz. Lots of ways all that could pan out.

Sancho
Very good player, making his mark and putting up good numbers in a top league... as a teenager, and playing abroad. So clearly he is driven to make something of himself. Klopp will make him better, and we represent an incredible opportunity for any player of his profile at the moment. He could come and immediately make an impact as a rotation option with the current players. Plenty of games for everyone. And then by the time Mo and/or Sadio are winding down, he will ready to take up the mantle. Financially I‘m sure we could do it if the football men have identified him as the one to go for.

Up and Coming Players, or Unheralded Players
We could just as easily spend a more modest sum on the person we think will become the next Sancho, or whoever. The scouting at the club is excellent, and we have form for unearthing quality before they burst into the wider scene. Can’t wait to see what becomes of Elliott, for example. In addition to signing young players before they fully make their name, we are also adept at canny business, like Minamino. He will add quality depth and the price will prove to be a steal.

In short, it’s a great time to be a red. We are on top of the world and going from strength to strength. Football signings are always an interesting subplot to the actual playing action, so we get into it. Our recruitment has been spot on for a good while now, and we look to be able to buy well at all price points in the market.

Long may it continue.

Dave-D

Wouldn’t be surprised if Brewster goes out on loan next season to an EPL team if he has a good loan spell at Swansea.
Lallana and Shaqiri I expect will also be off in the summer so there would easily be room to accommodate a new attacker and I wouldn’t be to surprised if it was Sancho. I ain’t getting all excited expecting him and will be more than happy to let the club decide who fits the team best.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
“Reports” in Spain Klopp wants Dembele, does anybody think that his experience at Barcelona may have calmed him down and that Klopp could be the manger to get in his head and sort him out to reach his potential.

www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1227215/Liverpool-transfer-news-Ousmane-Dembele-Jurgen-Klopp-Barcelona-gossip-rumours/amp
I'm not sure it has. Werent there some stories doing the round about him in Spain that were pretty negative about his efforts in training or behaviour in general?

Richard88

“Reports” in Spain Klopp wants Dembele, does anybody think that his experience at Barcelona may have calmed him down and that Klopp could be the manger to get in his head and sort him out to reach his potential.

www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1227215/Liverpool-transfer-news-Ousmane-Dembele-Jurgen-Klopp-Barcelona-gossip-rumours/amp
Wasn't Dembele renting Klopp's house in Dortmund, and absolutely trashing the place? I doubt Klopp wants to add a person like that to his harmounious squad...

Dave-D

I'm not sure it has. Werent there some stories doing the round about him in Spain that were pretty negative about his efforts in training or behaviour in general?
That was sometime ago and with him being out the team most of the time could well have made him think and mature.
Don’t get me wrong he could well still be an idiot.