The Unreliable Rumours Thread

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Ward Prowse - a name that we all (mostly) know, but also assume is not good enough.

Same was said of players such as Robertson, Gini, Salah, and Mane.

If Edwards and Klopp want JWP, then there must be something good about him. Maybe a swap deal for Lallana. Keep Saints sweet!?

Certainly can't see him waltzing into the 1st team, but could be very important.

More likely he comes than a Havertz, Sancho or some other 100m footballer!

Last edited:

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
Ward Prowse - a name that we all (mostly) know, but also assume is not good enough.

Same was said of players such as Robertson, Gini, Salah, and Mane.

If Edwards and Klopp was JWP, then there must be something good about it. Maybe a swap deal for Lallana. Keep Saints sweet!?

Certainly can't see him waltzing into the 1st team, but could be very important.

More likely he comes than a Havertz, Sancho or some other 100m footballer!
So you're saying we're definitely in for Ward Prowse?

Limiescouse

He was a top prospect at 18-19 but has stagnated a bit in the years since. Being at Southampton is almost certainly a big part of that given their troubles. At 25 now he likely will never reach the ceiling that was projected for him back then, but there is likely still more to come from him. However, there are no links to him that I know of.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Great set-piece taker, seems like a good pro, works hard, not much more other than that. We talked about him last season in another thread. Question is what's his position even at Southampton level. Winger? Nah, doesn't offer enough threat for that. Right midfielder? Possibly. Central midfielder? Depends of the style/system/team mates around him. Possible convert to RB? Who knows. I see Ralph has been using him more in CM position lately in a two (although he plays more of a 4-2-2-2).

How did we end up at Ward-Prowse in this thread? :LOL:

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Great set-piece taker, seems like a good pro, works hard, not much more other than that. We talked about him last season in another thread. Question is what's his position even at Southampton level. Winger? Nah, doesn't offer enough threat for that. Right midfielder? Possibly. Central midfielder? Depends of the style/system/team mates around him. Possible convert to RB? Who knows. I see Ralph has been using him more in CM position lately in a two (although he plays more of a 4-2-2-2).

How did we end up at Ward-Prowse in this thread? :LOL:
Thought you were talking about Harry Wilson until you got to the bit about Southampton, but even reading on, it coulda be about HW!

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
Tons of media reports today on Havertz. It seems to be rehashed from the “talks with his representatives” story from a while back, however for some reason it’s seems to have exploded this morning with nearly everyone picking up on this. Everyone except for “accepted thread starting sources” :cry:

[email protected]

Tons of media reports today on Havertz. It seems to be rehashed from the “talks with his representatives” story from a while back, however for some reason it’s seems to have exploded this morning with nearly everyone picking up on this. Everyone except for “accepted thread starting sources” :cry:
Just you wait, the Ward-Prowse rumours will start soon.

Richard88

I can't see Klopp wanting to go into December and January next season without 3 of his most important attacking players and having to be overly reliant on Origi, Minamino, Shaqiri for such an important stretch of the season (assuming that they're all even fit)... That change of the AFCON makes it extremely likely that we sign another top wide attacker this summer.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I vaguely recall reading that the club tried to sign Aouar as a teenager but he chose to stay at Lyon for better chance of progression. I think he's very likely one of the top 2 choices in midfield for this upcoming summer window.
No disrespect to you, but flat out no chance Liverpool have Aouar as “one of the top 2 choices in midfield” this summer. Not for what price Aulas will be asking. Zero point zero chance. He’s also really overrated by some Liverpool fans.

Richard88

No disrespect to you, but flat out no chance Liverpool have Aouar as “one of the top 2 choices in midfield” this summer. Not for what price Aulas will be asking. Zero point zero chance. He’s also really overrated by some Liverpool fans.
No disresect taken. :) I was simply sharing my opinion based on the fact that we've had previous interest in the player, and he seems to be in the age bracket and the quality that seems to fit the mould of what the club has targeted in previous years. For what it's worth, transfermarkt have Aouar as the highest rated CM aged 21 or younger (tied with Guendouzi and Valverde), so I don't think it's just Liverpool fans who are "overrating" him.

As for Aulas, based on the Fekir deal (which failed due to his knee issues in a medical) it would seem that Edwards has had no problem negotiating a fair deal with Aulas, and I'd anticipate that if Aouar would want to join Liverpool then Aulas would be reasonable.

Lastly, if I may make a friendly suggestion, you may want to consider not making seemingly factual statements like the ones in bold above, when you actually don't have any basis to make such a definitive statement. For all you know Aouar IS a top choice for Edwards and Klopp.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
No disresect taken. :) I was simply sharing my opinion based on the fact that we've had previous interest in the player, and he seems to be in the age bracket and the quality that seems to fit the mould of what the club has targeted in previous years. For what it's worth, transfermarkt have Aouar as the highest rated CM aged 21 or younger (tied with Guendouzi and Valverde), so I don't think it's just Liverpool fans who are "overrating" him.

As for Aulas, based on the Fekir deal (which failed due to his knee issues in a medical) it would seem that Edwards has had no problem negotiating a fair deal with Aulas, and I'd anticipate that if Aouar would want to join Liverpool then Aulas would be reasonable.

Lastly, if I may make a friendly suggestion, you may want to consider not making seemingly factual statements like the ones in bold above, when you actually don't have any basis to make such a definitive statement. For all you know Aouar IS a top choice for Edwards and Klopp.
Just out of curiosity how many OL matches do you catch per year? Genuine question.

EDIT: I rarely see you in the Ligue1 thread and would love to talk OL football with you!

Limiescouse

Just out of curiosity how many OL matches do you catch per year? Genuine question.

EDIT: I rarely see you in the Ligue1 thread and would love to talk OL football with you!
I tried to watch them last year because I found them fascinating. Full of players that the top clubs in Europe wanted - Dembele, Depay, Fekir, Aouar, Ndombele, Mendy. Yet they always disappointed.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I tried to watch them last year because I found them fascinating. Full of players that the top clubs in Europe wanted - Dembele, Depay, Fekir, Aouar, Ndombele, Mendy. Yet they always disappointed.
They’ve always had my attention because it’s an interesting and eclectic lot, but that group of talent also got Sylvinho fired in 5 months. He lasted all of May to October. There is no reason they underachieve as mightily as they do. I don’t know if it’s a collective bad attitude or culture but their talent is undeniable if they could figure out a way to channel it properly.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
They’ve always had my attention because it’s an interesting and eclectic lot, but that group of talent also got Sylvinho fired in 5 months. He lasted all of May to October. There is no reason they underachieve as mightily as they do. I don’t know if it’s a collective bad attitude or culture but their talent is undeniable if they could figure out a way to channel it properly.
I thought that was because Sylvinho had very limited coaching/managerial experience and was just out of his depth?

Limiescouse

Maybe it was unfair, but I was constantly comparing them to the Monaco side that came a few years before. The obvious conclusion was that tje individual players being hyped maybe just werent as good as those that Monaco had already sold on, but maybe its something else. Either way, it does give me pause when linked to any of them, especially given the way Fekir ended up at Betis.

vjcpatriot

or Fabinho.
Fabinho was quite the pleasant surprise as I had always rated him highly but had no clue Liverpool had him lined up for transfer.

I do hope we land Havertz or Mbappe in the summer window as I project them to be world class players in the very near future.

Haven’t heard any ‘reliable’ rumors about them, more of the put them on my wish list for Santa to be opened in the summer.

Richard88

Good question! Honestly I don't watch Lyon much in Ligue 1, but I was mightily impressed by Aouar when they took 4 points off of City in last years CL group. I'm admittedly not a super scout, but from what I've seen I think his tenacity off the ball and his instinct to drive up the pitch (either with a through ball or with a dribble) both lend themselves very well to a Klopp side.

For what it's worth, I didn't watch an awful lot of Hull games before we signed Robertson either, but I was nonetheless heavily supportive of the signing well before it happened, and that turned out alright I guess! If you're interested here are a couple of my comments from another forum back when Robertson was signed. There are a few more of my posts on that forum about Robertson from even earlier but I can't seem to dig them up. In any case these should be enough to show how highly I rated him when he was signed:

From July 21st 2018:
Seriously though, I'm delighted we've finally signed him. Said back when Klopp joined that Robertson would be a perfect fit for his style and I think he'll be a big success, so much so that I think this will look like a steal at £8m a few months down the line (in fact in my opinion it already does when compared to other transfers in the PL).

Loves a one-two and bursting up the pitch, doesn't shy away from tackles, and has pace... which are the ingredients of a good Klopp fullback. Not to mention his "outstanding attitude" which is undoubtedly a big reason why Klopp has signed him.
From July 22nd 2018, a comparison between Robertson and Schmelzer, who I thought was a stylistic comparison.

ROBERTSON VS SCHMELZER

It struck me when watching a Robertson video how similar he looks to Schmelzer, so after looking at a couple of videos of each of them I did a little comparison on Sqwuawka...

Turns out that the two players aren't only similar visually, but also very similar statistically as well...

What's promising is that these stats are for Schmelzer in his prime years under Klopp, whereas Robertson can probably still improve significantly under Klopp's guidance. It's highly probably that Robertson will have every opportunity to increase his attacking outputs, as well as his defensive performance (in terms of successful tackles for example), by playing for an aggressive pressing and possession oriented team.

Also, the main weakness in the stats against Robertson is aerial duels, but he's not that far off Schmelzer in terms of aerial duel win %, and is a similar height (1.78m vs Schmelzer 1,80m) so perhaps that is something that can be worked on. It should also be noted that Robertson played large chunks of these seasons as a LWB, thereby most likely not contesting as many duels (a win % of around 40% but much lower number of aerials won suggests that to be the case).

All-in-all, Schmelzer comes out as slightly better defensively, but Robertson looks like more of a threat with the ball as evidenced by his greater number of take-ons (and take-on %), as well as from his number of forward passes which is impressively similar to Schmelzer (in Robertson's PL season) despite the fact that he played for a worse team.
You might find this thread interesting to read too where there was a good discussion about statistics relating to leftbacks in the week prior to us signing Robertson where he came out favourably in many categories compared to other PL leftbacks.

In any case, that's quite a tangent with Robertson, but thought I'd just illustrate an example of how one doesn't necessarily have to watch TONS of live games of a team to be able to make a reasonably good judgement about a player. Obviously scouts need to do far more due diligence, but there's clearly a talented player in Aouar and I think he'd do really well in a Klopp team, just as I thought with Robertson.

That said, if you regularly watch Aouar play in Ligue 1 I'd find it really interesting to hear your counter arguments about why you don't think he should be a prime target for us! :)

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
That said, if you regularly watch Aouar play in Ligue 1 I'd find it really interesting to hear your counter arguments about why you don't think he should be a prime target for us! :)
It's pretty simple @Richard88, for Liverpool Football Club Houssem Aouar is not worth the financial risk or expenditure for a position in which the club is the deepest. What skillset is he specifically giving the club that is not already here? You admittedly haven't watched him play, yet you are willing to spend 60+ million on him? That doesn't make sense.

But just so I am getting your post right, you are comparing the signing of Robbo to Houssem Aouar? The signing of no risk, 8M LB - a position we had very little (NO) depth - to that of a 60+ million unproven midfielder, a position in which we are deepest? Just want to make sure I am understanding your context because in my mind those signings have absolutely NOTHING to do with each other. Certainly you are entitled to your opinion and I applaud the effort you put into that post but it's really confusing how the two even remotely relate.

EDIT: Just like a certain vocal portion of Liverpool fans had to have Pepé this Summer and we see how that "investment" is working out for Arsenal.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
It's pretty simple @Richard88, for Liverpool Football Club Houssem Aouar is not worth the financial risk or expenditure for a position in which the club is the deepest. What skillset is he specifically giving the club that is not already here? You admittedly haven't watched him play, yet you are willing to spend 60+ million on him? That doesn't make sense.

But just so I am getting your post right, you are comparing the signing of Robbo to Houssem Aouar? The signing of no risk, 8M LB - a position we had very little (NO) depth - to that of a 60+ million unproven midfielder, a position in which we are deepest? Just want to make sure I am understanding your context because in my mind those signings have absolutely NOTHING to do with each other. Certainly you are entitled to your opinion and I applaud the effort you put into that post but it's really confusing how the two even remotely relate.

EDIT: Just like a certain vocal portion of Liverpool fans had to have Pepé this Summer and we see how that "investment" is working out for Arsenal.
Bur...ah whatever.

Richard88

Thanks for your response, much appreciated.

Aouar doesn't necessarily bring a skillset that isn't already here - as we have several good options in midfield currently. That said, given his age he does bring longevity, and if all he does is replicate Wijnaldum's performance for example, then we are getting a great player.

My point with mentioning Robertson wasn't as a like-for-like comparison with Aouar - because obviously LB and CM have nothing to do with each other! Rather, I was simply illustrating that it is possible to form a reasonably good opinion about a player without necessarily having watched every league game that player has played.

In any case, I didn't say that I hadn't watched Aouar - I said that I hadn't watched him much in Ligue 1, but I have seen plenty of CL games with him, and that for me is a much better indication of his quality than what he can do playing in Ligue 1 (because frankly, that league isn't very good at all in my opinion).

As for Pepé, like you I was never fully convinced by him either. That said, I do think looking back that it wasn't unreasonable for some fans to like the idea of singing him given that we still could use some more depth on the wings. But at the amount that he cost it was going to be difficult for him to live up to the price tag.

LFCFFC

Tbf with Lallana almost certainly leaving, Milner getting a year older and Keita having injury issues, it wouldn't be outlandish to see a CM signing.

But yeah, at the price Lyon would demand for Aouar, it seems unlikely at this stage it'd be him. Plus I imagine he'll be in high demand in the summer and he'd walk into a starting role in a fair few other midfields, while he'd be trying to break into the one of the two 8 positions competing against Hendo/Gini/Ox and Keita.

The caveat to that is if we find out Gini has plans to leave once his contract expires of course.