The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Richard88

If Wijnaldum hasn't signed a new contract by this summer (by which time he'll only have 12 months left on his contract) then I think Klopp will want to bring someone in at CM this summer, in order for that new (young) midfielder to have 6-12 months to be eased in and learn the tactics before Wijnaldum (and probably even Milner) moves on in 2021.

Aouar and Havertz are the glamorous names in CM, but I have a sneaky feeling that Emiliano Buendia will be the CM of choice. He ticks all the boxes for a Klopp No.8 given that he's versatile (RW or AM); two-footed; forward-thinking; excellent at chance creation; extremely tenacious off the ball; and at the perfect age (23).

Signing Buendia would also go with Klopps's habit of making opportunistic signings from relegated clubs each summer, following the likes of Wijnaldum from Newcastle in 2016 (£25m); Robertson from Hull 2017 (£8m), Shaqiri from Stoke 2018 (£13m); and Elliott from Fulham 2019 (compensation TBD). Given the likely relegation of Norwich Buendia likely would't cost an extortionate amount either.

For what it's worth I also think the links to LB Jamal Lewis hold some water too, as he'd be a fine player to have as backup LB in the squad, assuming of course that he'd be happier to be a squad player for us rather than play in the Championship.

Overall I can see the club actually making a healthy profit this summer, even if expenditure on new signings goes over £100m.

Out -----------------> In
Karius ........ £7.25m
Lovren ........ £10m --> Ben White ...... ~£35m
Clyne ........... free ----> Jamal Lewis ... ~£10m
Grujic ........... £30m
Chirivella ..... free
Ejaria ............. £5m
Kane .............. £3m
Lallana ......... free ---> Buendia ....... ~£30m
Shaqiri ........ £25m --> Minamino ... £7.5m
Wilson ........ £30m
Ojo ............... £5m
Origi ............ £30m --> Werner ........ £25m (i.e. €30m/release clause)
Awoniyi ...... £4m

Loaned Out
Grabara
Woodburn
Brewster

Transfer fees in: £149.25m
Expenditure: £107.5m (including Minamino)
Net Spend: -£41.75m

Squad for 2020/21:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
----------- Mané (28) ---------------------------- Salah (27) -----
---------- Werner (23) -------------------------- Elliott (16) -----
------------------------------ Firmino (28) -------------------------
----------------------------- Minamino (25) -----------------------
-------------- Keita (24) ------------------ Wijnaldum (29) --------
--------------- Ox (26) -------------------- Buendia (23) ---------
-------------- Jones (18) ------------------ Milner (34) ------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------ Fabinho (26) -------------------------
----------------------------- Henderson (29) -----------------------
Robertson (25) --- Van Dijk (28) --- Gomez (22) ------- Trent (21)
J. Lewis (21) ------ Matip (28) ----- White (22) ---- Williams (18)
--------------------------------------------------------- Hoever (17)
----------------------------- Allison (27) ----------------------------
----------------------------- Adrian (33) -----------------------------
---------------------------- Kelleher (21) ----------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The squad above for 2020/21 might be a player too heavy compared to what Klopp usually runs with, but that would be acceptable for two reasons:
  1. In the short term this allows the new young arrivals to get eased in for one season before taking on more prominent roles when key players entering their 30's start moving on in 2021 (eg. Wijnaldum, Milner, etc). This patient approach was beneficial for Fabinho, Robertson, Keita, and Ox as well.
  2. It's also important to factor in the AFCON in midseason, where Salah, Mané, and Keita will miss over a month of the season in January 2021, so carrying a slightly heavier squad for next season would be sensible. Numerous other players will also feature in Euro2020 and Copa America in the summer as well, and so allowing some scope for additional fatigue and extra rest days for key players will be essential.

In terms of the Uefa Squad in 2020/21 it would look like this:
  1. Allison
  2. Adrian
  3. Van Dijk
  4. Matip
  5. Robertson
  6. Fabinho
  7. Wijnaldum
  8. Keita
  9. Buendia
  10. Firmino
  11. Minamino
  12. Mané
  13. Salah
  14. Werner
Association-trained (minimum of 4)
15. Gomez
16. Ben White
17. Henderson
18. Ox
19. Milner
20. Jamal Lewis
21. Elliott (will be considered 'club-trained' once he's been at the club 2 years, so from June 2021 onwards)

Club-trained (born before Jan 1st 1999, and at the club at least 2 years prior to turning 21)
22. Kelleher
23. Trent Alexander Arnold
24. Hoever

List B (born after Jan. 1st 1999 and at the club at least 2 years)
  • Williams (can be on List B for 3 more years).
  • Jones (can be on List B for 3 more years).
Omitted
  • Van den Berg - becomes "club trained" in summer 2021. On the evidence of the league cup game vs Villa he has at least 2 years of physical development to do, so that timing is fine.
Looking even further ahead, the squad would be in a good position for a smooth long-term transition in other positions too, without many big signings needing to be made:
  • Wijnaldum ---> Buendia
  • Milner --------> Jones
  • Matip --------> Van den Berg/Hoever
  • Salah ---------> Elliott
  • Firmino -------> Brewster
For what it's worth, 5 signings ahead of the 2020/21 season (including Minamino) would be in line with the amount of signings Klopp has typically made each year since he arrived.
  • 2016: 7 - Karius, Manninger, Matip, Klavan, Grujic, Wijnaldum, Mané.
  • 2017: 5 - Van Dijk*, Robertson, Ox, Solanke, Salah (*delayed until Jan. 2018).
  • 2018: 4 - Alisson, Fabinho, Keita, Shaqiri.
  • 2019: 4 - Adrian, Lonergan, Van den Berg, Elliott.
  • 2020: 5 - White, Lewis, Buendia, Minamino, Werner

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
If Wijnaldum hasn't signed a new contract by this summer (by which time he'll only have 12 months left on his contract) then I think Klopp will want to bring someone in at CM this summer, in order for that new (young) midfielder to have 6-12 months to be eased in and learn the tactics before Wijnaldum (and probably even Milner) moves on in 2021.

Aouar and Havertz are the glamorous names in CM, but I have a sneaky feeling that Emiliano Buendia will be the CM of choice. He ticks all the boxes for a Klopp No.8 given that he's versatile (RW or AM); two-footed; forward-thinking; excellent at chance creation; extremely tenacious off the ball; and at the perfect age (23).

Signing Buendia would also go with Klopps's habit of making opportunistic signings from relegated clubs each summer, following the likes of Wijnaldum from Newcastle in 2016 (£25m); Robertson from Hull 2017 (£8m), Shaqiri from Stoke 2018 (£13m); and Elliott from Fulham 2019 (compensation TBD). Given the likely relegation of Norwich Buendia likely would't cost an extortionate amount either.

For what it's worth I also think the links to LB Jamal Lewis hold some water too, as he'd be a fine player to have as backup LB in the squad, assuming of course that he'd be happier to be a squad player for us rather than play in the Championship.

Overall I can see the club actually making a healthy profit this summer, even if expenditure on new signings goes over £100m.

Out -----------------> In
Karius ........ £7.25m
Lovren ........ £10m --> Ben White ...... ~£35m
Clyne ........... free ----> Jamal Lewis ... ~£10m
Grujic ........... £30m
Chirivella ..... free
Ejaria ............. £5m
Kane .............. £3m
Lallana ......... free ---> Buendia ....... ~£30m
Shaqiri ........ £25m --> Minamino ... £7.5m
Wilson ........ £30m
Ojo ............... £5m
Origi ............ £30m --> Werner ........ £25m (i.e. €30m/release clause)
Awoniyi ...... £4m

Loaned Out
Grabara
Woodburn
Brewster

Transfer fees in: £149.25m
Expenditure: £107.5m (including Minamino)
Net Spend: -£41.75m

Squad for 2020/21:

----------- Mané (28) ---------------------------- Salah (27) -----
---------- Werner (23) -------------------------- Elliott (16) -----
------------------------------ Firmino (28) -------------------------
----------------------------- Minamino (25) -----------------------
-------------- Keita (24) ------------------ Wijnaldum (29) --------
--------------- Ox (26) -------------------- Buendia (23) ---------
-------------- Jones (18) ------------------ Milner (34) ------------
------------------------------ Fabinho (26) -------------------------
----------------------------- Henderson (29) -----------------------
Robertson (25) --- Van Dijk (28) --- Gomez (22) ------- Trent (21)
J. Lewis (21) ------ Matip (28) ----- White (22) ---- Williams (18)
--------------------------------------------------------- Hoever (17)
----------------------------- Allison (27) ----------------------------
----------------------------- Adrian (33) -----------------------------
---------------------------- Kelleher (21) ----------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The squad above for 2020/21 might be a player too heavy compared to what Klopp usually runs with, but that would be acceptable for two reasons:
  1. In the short term this allows the new young arrivals to get eased in for one season before taking on more prominent roles when key players entering their 30's start moving on in 2021 (eg. Wijnaldum, Milner, etc). This patient approach was beneficial for Fabinho, Robertson, Keita, and Ox as well.
  2. It's also important to factor in the AFCON in midseason, where Salah, Mané, and Keita will miss over a month of the season in January 2021, so carrying a slightly heavier squad for next season would be sensible. Numerous other players will also feature in Euro2020 and Copa America in the summer as well, and so allowing some scope for additional fatigue and extra rest days for key players will be essential.

In terms of the Uefa Squad in 2020/21 it would look like this:
  1. Allison
  2. Adrian
  3. Van Dijk
  4. Matip
  5. Robertson
  6. Fabinho
  7. Wijnaldum
  8. Keita
  9. Buendia
  10. Firmino
  11. Minamino
  12. Mané
  13. Salah
  14. Werner
Association-trained (minimum of 4)
15. Gomez
16. Ben White
17. Henderson
18. Ox
19. Milner
20. Jamal Lewis
21. Elliott (will be considered 'club-trained' once he's been at the club 2 years, so from June 2021 onwards)

Club-trained (born before Jan 1st 1999, and at the club at least 2 years prior to turning 21)
22. Kelleher
23. Trent Alexander Arnold
24. Hoever

List B (born after Jan. 1st 1999 and at the club at least 2 years)
  • Williams (can be on List B for 3 more years).
  • Jones (can be on List B for 3 more years).
Omitted
  • Van den Berg - becomes "club trained" in summer 2021. On the evidence of the league cup game vs Villa he has at least 2 years of physical development to do, so that timing is fine.
Looking even further ahead, the squad would be in a good position for a smooth long-term transition in other positions too, without many big signings needing to be made:
  • Wijnaldum ---> Buendia
  • Milner --------> Jones
  • Matip --------> Van den Berg/Hoever
  • Salah ---------> Elliott
  • Firmino -------> Brewster
For what it's worth, 5 signings ahead of the 2020/21 season (including Minamino) would be in line with the amount of signings Klopp has typically made each year since he arrived.
  • 2016: 7 - Karius, Manninger, Matip, Klavan, Grujic, Wijnaldum, Mané.
  • 2017: 5 - Van Dijk*, Robertson, Ox, Solanke, Salah (*delayed until Jan. 2018).
  • 2018: 4 - Alisson, Fabinho, Keita, Shaqiri.
  • 2019: 4 - Adrian, Lonergan, Van den Berg, Elliott.
  • 2020: 5 - White, Lewis, Buendia, Minamino, Werner
You get a “like” for the effort you’ve put in but an epic fail for omitting Mbappé.

Richard88

You get a “like” for the effort you’ve put in but an epic fail for omitting Mbappé.
Haha, thanks :D

Whilst Mbappé would be a phenomenal addition, I don't see the club signing him for the simple reason that he would destroy the wage structure at the club, which is undoubtedly a key ingredient in keeping squad harmony.

I also think it would be a colossal failure for Real Madrid to miss out on him given that they need replace Benzema soon (and Jovic has been a failed signing), so I think Real will push the boat out further than Edwards will be willing to do.

Richard88

Is Buendia even a CM? :)
On paper Buendia is listed as a RW, but I think his best attributes closely resemble Naby Keita so I think he'd most certainly be a No.8 in a Klopp team. Much of his play is through the middle too, rather than on the wing. A quick glance at any of his highlight reel videos will show that. Tactically a winger in Klopp's side is also expected to provide depth and finishing in attack, which isn't the way Buendia plays either when he's in wide positions. He's a provider and creator rather than a finisher.

In any case, Buendia "moving" to CM would be similar to what happened with Ox, who was considered to be more of RW for Arsenal before Klopp converted him to a No.8. Ditto for Wijnaldum, who was a CAM or even SS for Newcastle, but got shifted back to CM by Klopp.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Jurgen needs to decide whether to keep Keita. Hes hardly played in 2 years. Shaq is another who when we need him is never available.
I dont think there is any doubt that Keita will be here next season. Keita played 33 matches for us last season and has played 14 this season. That is 'hardly played'.

Shaqiri's injuries are also not really an issue - Klopp just doesnt really pick him.

Limiescouse

I dont think there is any doubt that Keita will be here next season. Keita played 33 matches for us last season and has played 14 this season. That is 'hardly played'.

Shaqiri's injuries are also not really an issue - Klopp just doesnt really pick him.
But much like Lovren, every time the opportunity opens up to pick him he is not available.

Richard88

Just seen the Isco rumours. Don't think there's anything in that, as Isco at 28 is well beyond the age we typically target players in now. 5 years ago though, I could see it, maybe, but not now.

gr_sounder

Just seen the Isco rumours. Don't think there's anything in that, as Isco at 28 is well beyond the age we typically target players in now. 5 years ago though, I could see it, maybe, but not now.
I think we were linked with him 5 years ago.... seems one that we've always been linked to in some fashion.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
From the BBC gossip column:

Liverpool hope to beat Real Madrid and Barcelona to the signing of Benfica's Portugal U19 midfielder Rafael Brito, 18, who has a release clause of £38m.

Never ‘eard of ‘im. Looked him up on Transfermarkt and he’s a defensive midfielder.

Mattthecypriot

This post is repetitive and not a discussion of any Unreliable Rumour.
This is a thread designated for discussion of rumours which originate from not-so-reliable news outlets. However, to keep discussion to a level fitting a football forum of TIA's stature, there are certain guidelines that should be followed even in such a frivolous thread.

Banned sources (posting links to them will result in an immediate ban):

The S*n
K*pTalk
Liverpool-k*p

Very unreliable and unwanted sources (posters are strongly discouraged from posting their almost comical, sensationalist transfer rumours):

Caught Offside
Duncan Castles
Metro
Daily Star
Fichajes.net
Sportmediaset
Tuttomercatoweb
Calciomercato
Tribal Football
Various sites which take money by relaying rumours from other sites or rehash old rumours - these will be added to this page at a later date
Sell salah, mane, firmino, and buy werner, mbappe, and ousmane dembele and lets rule england and europe for the 20's!!!!!

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Jurgen needs to decide whether to keep Keita. Hes hardly played in 2 years. Shaq is another who when we need him is never available.
I think if he could stay fit he would be a real asset but agree there comes a point when is lack of availability puts a big question mark over his head.
Has he been unlucky with injuries or is he very injury prone or is his body simply unable to handle the demands of playing for Klopp.
I feeling is he still has a future here but it might well depend on how the next few months go. He needs to get and sustain a decent period of fitness because if he does I think he has the ability to make a contribution between now and the end of the season.
I think Shaq will be sold this summer.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I think if he could stay fit he would be a real asset but agree there comes a point when is lack of availability puts a big question mark over his head.
Has he been unlucky with injuries or is he very injury prone or is his body simply unable to handle the demands of playing for Klopp.
I feeling is he still has a future here but it might well depend on how the next few months go. He needs to get and sustain a decent period of fitness because if he does I think he has the ability to make a contribution between now and the end of the season.
I think Keita gets at least another year. A lot was invested in him, and not just money. The club chased him for two years.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
I think Keita gets at least another year. A lot was invested in him, and not just money. The club chased him for two years.
Yeah I would agree mate because he has shown he has the quality and we went the rounds to get him in in the first place. I still feel he could do with a good run from here to May to just cement his position.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Keita is too good to bin off just yet, at least give him another season or two. Just have to be mindful with the squad that we might need another few games from Jones or someone like that every now and then. Henderson and Lallana have seemingly overcome some persistent injury issues, hopefully Keita will do the same.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Yeah I would agree mate because he has shown he has the quality and we went the rounds to get him in in the first place. I still feel he could do with a good run from here to May to just cement his position.
The worry is more international football. I have this feeling he is going to be ruined by playing for them too soon after injuries. It’s pretty much how we got to this point already. I wish he’d retire for international footie.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I think Klopps comments about Shaqiri are worth paying attention to. Unlike fans he doesn't see injuries as insurmountable or guarenteed to happen. They are just one more thing to work on

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I think Klopps comments about Shaqiri are worth paying attention to. Unlike fans he doesn't see injuries as insurmountable or guarenteed to happen. They are just one more thing to work on
Absolutely, he'll work with players who he thinks are worth it.

I don't think he ignores injuries altogether though. If Shaqiri was as fit as Salah he might have a future here. If he was as good as Salah but injured this often he'd definitely have a future here. The injuries plus the borderline suitability has probably made Klopp's mind up.