The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
[
We can, and I believe we are, doing both. I don't agree with you on how much commitment that takes from us financially and how much of our finances are spoken for by doing it. I don't disagree with the club doing that. It's you I'm disagreeing with on your interpretation of what that means. When the latest set of accounts are released I don't believe the wage bill will have increased by more than £60 million (and probably a lot less) and more than 60% of club revenue. I believe club revenue will have increased a lot more than how much the wage bill has increased.
You’re focussing on wage bill. I’m on about bonuses.

And we should also consider that a lot of players would have have clauses payable to their original clubs upon winning the CL. That will have also eaten into the lump sum.

The point is just that we fans tend to be over simplistic on how we view finances. Whatever we got for winning the CL, I doubt the majority of it is still sitting in a bank account.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
[

You’re focussing on wage bill. I’m on about bonuses.

And we should also consider that a lot of players would have have clauses payable to their original clubs upon winning the CL. That will have also eaten into the lump sum.

The point is just that we fans tend to be over simplistic on how we view finances. Whatever we got for winning the CL, I doubt the majority of it is still sitting in a bank account.
They're a part of the wage bill. They are bonuses factored into these players contracts. The money comes under the wage bill in the accounts.

Dimitriy

To @Anfield rd Dreamer and @Mascot88...
My question;- Guys, when you say 60%, does it mean, out of all revenues generated, or is it attached to specific segments?
I know something, how we calculate revenues in banking and how it is dispersed. What goes to the ownership, which part goes to the BO opeartions. And then the branches that generate the "visible" revenues. One can always find accounting gymnastics...Remeber the crash of 2008. The management of those banks, still found ways for hefty bonuses, "financed" thru the government payout, to save them from bankrupcy... I think Anfield rd Dreamer is sceptic that something like that may occur...The mentioned part affiliated to the prize money from UCL is there for everyone to see, and is easiest to spread all over and cover it thru accounting, and than one can say, not to much is available. But, theres a bit more money that come out of that endeavour, needless to mention here...

Dave-D

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
To @Anfield rd Dreamer and @Mascot88...
My question;- Guys, when you say 60%, does it mean, out of all revenues generated, or is it attached to specific segments?
I know something, how we calculate revenues in banking and how it is dispersed. What goes to the ownership, which part goes to the BO opeartions. And then the branches that generate the "visible" revenues. One can always find accounting gymnastics...Remeber the crash of 2008. The management of those banks, still found ways for hefty bonuses, "financed" thru the government payout, to save them from bankrupcy... I think Anfield rd Dreamer is sceptic that something like that may occur...The mentioned part affiliated to the prize money from UCL is there for everyone to see, and is easiest to spread all over and cover it thru accounting, and than one can say, not to much is available. But, theres a bit more money that come out of that endeavour, needless to mention here...
Yes, i think it is of all revenues.

Jah_Pool

I am not at all a fan of Danny Rose and his surly demeanor but the report on Sky yesterday that SIX PL teams have contacted Spurs about him had me wondering if we were one of them. With Millie currently being treated in the physio room and Robbo having a bit of a wobble in his form it would be nice to have experienced depth at LB. Rose strikes me as a player that could/would benefit from strong leadership and positive club culture.
I'm neither, but on his day he's a very good player. Over the summer he was openly being shopped by Spurs, I would have hoped that we would have snapped their hands off and sign him as cover for Robertson. Cause lets face it, Robbo should have had a rest a long time ago, that's why his form has dipped a bit.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Seriously doubt Rose has half the work rate and work ethic required to be a Klopp fullback. Achraf Hakimi would be the dream choice for me from my very limited knowledge. Creative enough to play further forward, can play both full back positions. Seems a hard worker. Young. 2 years left on his Real deal when he returns there this summer after his Dortmund 2 year loan. Probably wants to give it a go in Madrid though as making it there is his dream as a youth player for them.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Seriously doubt Rose has half the work rate and work ethic required to be a Klopp fullback. Achraf Hakimi would be the dream choice for me from my very limited knowledge. Creative enough to play further forward, can play both full back positions. Seems a hard worker. Young. 2 years left on his Real deal when he returns there this summer after his Dortmund 2 year loan. Probably wants to give it a go in Madrid though as making it there is his dream as a youth player for them.
Serious talent , have to imagine Real have big plans for him though especially considering the age of Marcello and Carvajal.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Serious talent , have to imagine Real have big plans for him though especially considering the age of Marcello and Carvajal.
Zidane has apparently but with that lot you never know what will happen with plans or with Zidane being manager there.

Red over the water

It’s a tricky situation to find a back up to Robbo, as its not like the midfield, where you can shuffle your options a bit. You are either in or out, and since you would be the back up, you are mostly out.

So what are the options? Currently we have an injured Milner, who isn’t a left back, but is a consummate pro and covers the position adequately when called upon, but we do lose something compared to Robbo at his best, and Milner is starting to get on a bit, and no one can defeat time.

We also have a couple of kids, but the drop off to their current level is too great to put them in for a Prem game. We also have the option of playing an athletic center back like Gomez at left back, in a pinch, but this isn’t a great solution either.

All that is to say I would be happy enough if we signed Rose, provided the price was OK. He is better than anything else we have, apart from Robbo, and if he came in knowing the score about his position in the squad, all good.

I suspect he would want the sort of money a first choice player would want, and he might also want more game time than we could give him.

Richard88

It’s a tricky situation to find a back up to Robbo, as its not like the midfield, where you can shuffle your options a bit. You are either in or out, and since you would be the back up, you are mostly out.

So what are the options? Currently we have an injured Milner, who isn’t a left back, but is a consummate pro and covers the position adequately when called upon, but we do lose something compared to Robbo at his best, and Milner is starting to get on a bit, and no one can defeat time.

We also have a couple of kids, but the drop off to their current level is too great to put them in for a Prem game. We also have the option of playing an athletic center back like Gomez at left back, in a pinch, but this isn’t a great solution either.

All that is to say I would be happy enough if we signed Rose, provided the price was OK. He is better than anything else we have, apart from Robbo, and if he came in knowing the score about his position in the squad, all good.

I suspect he would want the sort of money a first choice player would want, and he might also want more game time than we could give him.
Are there any credible links to Rose, or where is this coming from? I think Klopp would probably prefer to bring in a young LB instead of a veteran stop-gap. A leftsided version of Hoever or Gomez would be the prototype

Jah_Pool

Danny Rose has been shit for years and is a sulky twat.

Not at all what we need or should want.
I ain't here to defend D. Rose, but a year ago in the CL Final, he was Spurs's best player on the night and it was being reported that he was being recruited by United when Shaw got hurt. So being shit for years is just makes no sense at all. He's a bit sulky but we're not looking for someone as a starter, just someone of the adequate quality to give Robertson a break.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I ain't here to defend D. Rose, but a year ago in the CL Final, he was Spurs's best player on the night and it was being reported that he was being recruited by United when Shaw got hurt. So being shit for years is just makes no sense at all. He's a bit sulky but we're not looking for someone as a starter, just someone of the adequate quality to give Robertson a break.
Nah, he is shit.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Milner will back up LB next season, season after Larouci is either ready to step up or if he's not we'll probably look to the market then instead.

Jah_Pool

And we went up a level when we finally got two quality fullbacks who could can play as quasi-wingers. That's the level, that's why its near impossible to get a back up.
Yes, but these two are arguably the best two players in the world at their position. There is no way we're gonna get replacements at a reasonable price, that is of that quality who are willing to sit on the bench. But what we can do is get an upgrade from Larouci/Milner and Gomez/etc. This is doable, Spurs had Rose/Davies and Aurier/Trippier. There are players available but we're not gonna be able to afford another Trent and Robbo.

Jah_Pool

Milner will back up LB next season, season after Larouci is either ready to step up or if he's not we'll probably look to the market then instead.
Milner will be 34 this year, and Larouci needs 2-3 years of seasoning in the championship before he's even close to being ready to be a starter for us. Larouci from what I've seen isn't even close to WIlliams who played RB. Williams is the better prospect, Larouci isn't ready.

Jah_Pool

Jamal Lewis of Norwich would be a much better alternative than Rose. Doesn't dive/cheat either.
Completely agree with this. Both Norwich FBs look like the requisite quality but there will be a bidding war on these players when Norwich goes down. From what I've read in the papers, it north of 60 mill for the pair, Norwich will be looking for 30+mill each for each FB. I'll see if I can find the article and post the link.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Yes, but these two are arguably the best two players in the world at their position. There is no way we're gonna get replacements at a reasonable price, that is of that quality who are willing to sit on the bench. But what we can do is get an upgrade from Larouci/Milner and Gomez/etc. This is doable, Spurs had Rose/Davies and Aurier/Trippier. There are players available but we're not gonna be able to afford another Trent and Robbo.
We were less of a club when we bought Robertson for less than 10 million and I'm not convinced he made the move believing he would be our 100% guaranteed week in week out starter. Alexander-Arnold came through the academy and no way he would have fucked off elsewhere just because he wasn't given a starting role. Both earned it by being good. And at the times they had to earn it we weren't as successful which goes a long way to persuading a player. I've full confidence that if Klopp decides he needs a full back or two that the recruitment team will find them and they will be good to great. However I think it's much more likely that we get a multi positional player who covers LB as one of his positions if Larouci isn't seen as being ready within the next 18 months. If that player can cover RB I think it'll be seen as a bonus but Williams will be given the chance to grow into Trents back up (could argue that's already started) whilst the likes of Gomez, Henderson, Fabinho, Milner hell even Ox and Shaqiri could all offer an option there if a more experienced, level head was really required.

Dave-D

Completely agree with this. Both Norwich FBs look like the requisite quality but there will be a bidding war on these players when Norwich goes down. From what I've read in the papers, it north of 60 mill for the pair, Norwich will be looking for 30+mill each for each FB. I'll see if I can find the article and post the link.
If Liverpool got Lewis for 35 million that’s a total cost of 43 million for two LBs. Pep would be spewing :LOL:

Red over the water

Are there any credible links to Rose, or where is this coming from? I think Klopp would probably prefer to bring in a young LB instead of a veteran stop-gap. A leftsided version of Hoever or Gomez would be the prototype
I don’t know if there are credible links. I was responding to the chatter on the thread, and I think someone said on the beeb gossip a couple of days ago it was mentioned that 6 Prem teams had been linked with Rose.

I agree that Klopp would likely prefer to bring in a young LB.