The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Having read this, especially the first part, I would have had suicidal thoughts but for Liverpool's current run of form. I'm now sad that Given didn't sign for Liverpool, I have a photo with him. :) And he would have been a decent option anyway, such a reliable goalie.

I find it interesting that the article doesn't mention any possible dealings during Kenny's second era. I'm pretty sure that Phil Jones and Ashley Young both had deals agreed with Liverpool but opted for Man United (I even think Jones left during his medical to sign for Man United after a phone call from Ferguson).

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
What an amazing read. Absolutely brilliant start to finish. It’s always fascinating, for me, to consider how the transfer hits and misses equally shapes a clubs fortunes for the positive and negative. And how some decisions are made out of desperation in final minutes.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Interesting read that, pretty sure I have discussed most if not all of those missed deals at some point

Where it not for our current position as best in the world I would be feeling a lot more depressed but now I look at those bad times as a reason to celebrate and appreciate the good times.

Long live the Klopp

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Very interesting article, although I'm sure every single club in the world has tonnes of these sliding doors moment stories.
Exactly. At the end of the day, this still might be pieces of stories (of course, some of them are well known now and confirmed by multiple sources over the years), who knows what else was there and how many players in and out. All clubs go through the same I believe.

Though yeah, we were one rare massive club that for decades now had either wrong people making decisions and/or a lack of money/speed of making the right decisions/know how to make it all work on the pitch.

Luckily, now we have practically everything in place and working like an oiled machine, without being among the richest out there.

Last edited:

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
It was suggested yesterday the main stumbling block is the length of contract. I can imagine that the club will give him a lengthier deal than they normally would because his conditioning is pretty good. Like Milner he is pretty fit, doesnt break down with injuries often and if fairly flexible in the positions he can play.

Judging from that article he also has plenty of other qualities, not just physical ones, to offer.

I also wonder if Klopp will consider adding him to the CB cover rota with Hendo and Fabinho.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems

The agent who is talking to The Athletic represents some of the biggest names in the game. “I don’t mind a manager or a CEO saying ‘not for sale’,” he adds, smiling. “But if an owner says it, you ain’t going nowhere because their own credibility is on the line and they don’t want to be embarrassed.”

Upsetting anybody else is seen as fair game. Part of the game, in fact. It’s how transfers — very few of which are straightforward — get done. “If you can’t find a solution, you do whatever is necessary to get out,” another agent adds. “‘I’m not playing’, tossing it off in training, bad body language, not putting the effort in. You never get a move by being nice.”

To illustrate his point, the same agent tells a story about a current England international who missed out on a transfer to Liverpool because “he wasn’t prepared to do the last bit” of their exit strategy.

The player told his manager and the chief executive he wanted to leave but when it came to saying that he wouldn’t go on the pre-season tour that summer, he couldn’t bring himself to do it. He just wasn’t comfortable with taking things that far and, in the agent’s words, “fucked it”.
Who is he referring to?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Chilwell? Sancho if we made a move last summer? I know we didn't hear of a move last summer but we sometimes don't hear about a deal that's been in the works for a year till two days before its complete. Err Maddison? Hudson-Odoi?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Current international? Must be Chilwell.
That was my thought but thought the talk at the time was that it was him not Leicester was the issue? Could be someone boring like Tarkowski as a back up CB! I was thinking the top stars. Thought Alli at one point but then remembered we had got it over the line with the club it was player and agent that we didn't convince on that one.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Current international? Must be Chilwell.
Could it be the Chelsea forward who was out with an injury for quite a while? we were also rumoured to be after him and that was fairly recent. Maguire was another of our targets when he was at Hull but i cant recall whether we actually bid for him

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Could it be the Chelsea forward who was out with an injury for quite a while? we were also rumoured to be after him and that was fairly recent. Maguire was another of our targets when he was at Hull but i cant recall whether we actually bid for him
Hudson-Odoi.

koptician

We'll go again!
Beeb rumours page courtesy of a certain rag says Juve to bid €150 for vvd. Firstly I highlight this to show how those assholes hate our success and are willing to spout any BS to unnerve us (good luck you shower of shite). Secondly, hahahahaHahahaHAHAHAHAHA!!