The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Limiescouse

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I dont even understand the point of that article
Was thinking the same thing. A lot of words strung together and called an article. Meandering and literally without any point whatsoever, 5 minutes of my life I’ll never get back. I’ve never heard of the guy in my life before that, but checked him out on Twitter. He mostly bleats to his massive audience of 2,900 followers about Liverpool being Tourist FC. Old man yelling at clouds.

Sweeting

Nothing that we didn't really expect there. Lallana and Clyne to move on, maybe some of the others on the fringes like Shaqiri or Origi but only if they ask to leave.

Elliott is seen as a succession plan for when the front three start winding down. Jones and Williams to be given chances towards the end of the season.

Maybe one or two incoming signings, somewhere between £30-£50m, with the expectation that they'll be of a similar level to Firmino or Mane when they first signed.

Evolution over revolution. The "next" squad will emerge below the current one - Elliott and Minamino examples of this.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Just read Reddy's article. Pours some cold water on this coming summer in terms of going large on a Mbappe, Sancho or Havertz. It seems the only circumstances the club would sanction that is if any of the front three leave, and Reddy says the club has had no indication that will happen. In a way, I'm pleased with that, as clearly this squad is in excellent shape.

She mentions the Coutinho deal in that he seemed happy until July 21st that year when everything changed, and that could be the case again, but until it does we can't expect the club to spend on those aforementioned three.

Rather, it seems the focus will be on trying to bring in the players who will be the next Mbappe, Sancho or Havertz - or, perhaps more accurately, the next Mo, Bobby and Mane. The club believes that tier of player would cost around £50m each in this market as opposed to £30m when those players were signed and are prepared to do that, so it's not as if nothing will be spent.

I'm intrigued to see who we go for.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Just read Reddy's article. Pours some cold water on this coming summer in terms of going large on a Mbappe, Sancho or Havertz. It seems the only circumstances the club would sanction that is if any of the front three leave, and Reddy says the club has had no indication that will happen. In a way, I'm pleased with that, as clearly this squad is in excellent shape.

She mentions the Coutinho deal in that he seemed happy until July 21st that year when everything changed, and that could be the case again, but until it does we can't expect the club to spend on those aforementioned three.

Rather, it seems the focus will be on trying to bring in the players who will be the next Mbappe, Sancho or Havertz - or, perhaps more accurately, the next Mo, Bobby and Mane. The club believes that tier of player would cost around £50m each in this market as opposed to £30m when those players were signed and are prepared to do that, so it's not as if nothing will be spent.

I'm intrigued to see who we go for.
Well if you read between the lines we will offer £40mil for Havertz ;)

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I hope Arsenal don't trump us with a £40m+1 offer!
Long gone are those days I think we could get to £40mil +2 ourselves!

I've mentioned this before but Reddy does confirm it also - Klopp is looking at the kids before going to market. I wonder if it's something like..

Lallana replaced by Jones
Elliot steps up and takes Shaqiri's place or goes on loan and we sign someone
Brewster has a long term future or we go for Werner

But all 3 could be connected.

Left back is the only real place I see us actively going for someone and I think Wilson is off come the summer.

Richard88

Sounds like Melissa has been asked by the club to put out a story to dampen the bargaining position of selling clubs... After all, everyone and their dog knows that Liverpool have an excellent track-record of idenifying players that turn into gems, as well as having plenty of cash to spend (particularly as the noise last summer was that 2020 would be the big window for us), so once we get involved it's probably hard to keep the price down in negotiations.

In particular,the line below sounds like it's coming from Edwards himself to put pressure on other clubs, as it effectively says to Dortmund/Leipzig/Leverkusen that if they don't get realistic with their asking prices then we'll simply move on to other targets.

"There are names linked with the club that are on the agenda now, but may not be in two months’ time, while the reverse of that could also be true."

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Sounds like Melissa has been asked by the club to put out a story to dampen the bargaining position of selling clubs... After all, everyone and their dog knows that Liverpool have an excellent track-record of idenifying players that turn into gems, as well as having plenty of cash to spend (particularly as the noise last summer was that 2020 would be the big window for us), so once we get involved it's probably hard to keep the price down in negotiations.

In particular,the line below sounds like it's coming from Edwards himself to put pressure on other clubs, as it effectively says to Dortmund/Leipzig/Leverkusen that if they don't get realistic with their asking prices then we'll simply move on to other targets.

"There are names linked with the club that are on the agenda now, but may not be in two months’ time, while the reverse of that could also be true."
I really dont think an article by Reddy is going to affect how German clubs handle their transfers. If it is spin, then its most likely aimed at fans.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
I really dont think an article by Reddy is going to affect how German clubs handle their transfers. If it is spin, then its most likely aimed at fans.
In a way it would be understandable - all the chatter about Havertz and Sancho in particular will have been noted I'm sure. It doesn't make the statement untrue, either - in fact it's entirely in keeping with how the club has operated under Klopp. If it's a message to fans, then I'm sure the underlying reason is to manage expectations and not hope for these players because unless something dramatic changes (like Mo or Mane putting in a transfer request), then they ain't coming.

What is encouraging for me is that the club had already extensively scouted Mbappe and Sancho well before they shot to prominence and tried to get them... our scouting department is totally on point these days, and whoever is brought in in place of the above will have been extensively scouted as well and hopefully have the potential to go the same way.

We're smarter than paying £120-150m for the current flavour of the month when they aren't absolutely needed (as VVD and Alisson were), and upsetting the wage structure and squad harmony that have been so carefully nurtured with great results. I'm sure we'll spend, there's a good chance I won't have heard of any of the players we bring in, but I'm excited to see who they are all the same.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Reddy's article doesn't state anything that hasn't been said on these boards dozens of times. It's common sense after all, Liverpool are not Man City, the team is built on different values. You can't expect a player like Mahrez or Sane to be sitting on the bench, picking up wages upwards of 150K pounds per week, playing second fiddle to Mane, Salah and Firmino. Club doesn't work that way, Klopp and Edwards don't work that way. Of course all of use would love Sancho and/or Havertz in this team but does it make sense, especially when club is investing so much in talents like Elliott and Jones?

Klopp has even suggested on Friday that he would look at internal solutions first when it comes to reinforcements. I'm not foolish enough to think that all academy products will end up being as good as Trent is at this moment but someone like Jones will fight tooth and nail to get into the first team and won't be affecting wage structure and team morale while doing so. I think that we'll see another summer like that of 2019 with maybe one squad player coming in, someone like Minamino but in another part of the team, while the likes of Clyne, Lallana, Grujić, Wilson and Shaqiri will most likely leave, along with some other players like Ojo, Awoniyi, Kane...

Sweeting

This is a random point but there is something about Awoniyi that I like. Obviously it is never going to happen for him here but there's a really good player in there. I've only seen bits and pieces but he always looks strong, fast and gets into good positions.

Ideally (for him) we can sell him to Mouscron, where he has twice been superb on loan, and he can finally settle into a club for a couple of years.

I think we will see him in the Premier League again one day though.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
This is a random point but there is something about Awoniyi that I like. Obviously it is never going to happen for him here but there's a really good player in there. I've only seen bits and pieces but he always looks strong, fast and gets into good positions.

Ideally (for him) we can sell him to Mouscron, where he has twice been superb on loan, and he can finally settle into a club for a couple of years.

I think we will see him in the Premier League again one day though.
I see another Leto/Allan in him, to be honest - a player who theoretically has everything to carve out a decent career but various red tape issues will prevent him to fulfil his potential. He can't be worse than all those strikers you see that newly promoted/bottom eight clubs find on a yearly basis. He's not even someone who plays with his back to goal, and that's a start. Unfortunately, he just can't settle during these various loans and I agree with you, Mouscron move would probably be the best for him (they probably couldn't afford his transfer fee, not even close, but maybe some token fee plus 50% of the next sale would do the trick).

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
Well, we might as well shut this forum down after that report from Reddy. ;)

Truthfully, I do find it interesting that in one passage she rejects the notion of Liverpool spending 80M on a player and in another she talks about how they value Havertz at around half that and in another she says that they are looking at bringing in young targets for around the 50M price range who can develop under Klopp.

Havertz: 40-50M valuation
Liverpool: Looking to add a young Firmino/Mane level player who will explode into stardom under Klopp and want to spend ~50M on him.

I think we all know what that means.

Havertz incoming in three...two...one...

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Before we get carried away with the Reddy article haven't we been before? Didn't it lead to Roma dropping the Alisson price by 20/25 million?

The article doesn't even say what it says it does.

"Plausibility and cost are therefore bigger determining factors. Do Liverpool have the financial muscle to secure these brilliant youngsters?"

Err yes actually. We could easily see over 100 million in player sales if a top attacker came in.

"Business will be determined by what the team needs – the ultimate influence – rather than the buzz surrounding high-profile players."

Just because there is a buzz around a high-profile player doesn't mean that player can't also be what the team needs. The two aren't mutually exclusive. VvD, Alisson, Keita and Fabinho were all high profile players with plenty of buzz linking them to various top clubs (although nobody, including Reddy, had any clue we were getting a DM let alone Fabinho even though negotiations lasted nearly a year).

"Unless Liverpool lose one of their pedigreed front three – a situation they are not expecting this summer with none of Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah or Roberto Firmino showing any intent to exit – there isn’t room for a blockbuster attacking purchase."

Yet she goes on to talk of how Brandt/Salah were being recruited to add to Mane, Firmino and "happy" Coutinho. Also that we don't recruit for 3 months but for a 3 year period. At the end of 3 years are all of Mane, Firmino and Salah expected to still be here? 5/6/7 year plus stays all at over 30.

Also there is loads of wriggle room in what she is saying;

"...policy allows them to be flexible enough to react if there is a need to bring in a game-changer."

So we can go sign big anytime we want like some of us have said.

On needing to buy if unexpected departures happen;

"Liverpool are confident they have greater flexibility in manoeuvring a similar situation now.

This is put down to the strength of the group, the money they can spend, the calibre of players they could attract, all while having the luxury of being patient and waiting a window to get in the right fit if necessary.

Liverpool do not need to panic buy, even in that scenario. The expectation is that they will lose only Adam Lallana and Nathaniel Clyne as it stands, while a few on the fringes might want more minutes elsewhere."

So we aren't planning on buying anyone because we will only be losing Lallana and Clyne? And theres the perfect justification for bringing someone in when the "unexpected" departures of Shaqiri and Origi happen.

"As such, Liverpool are preparing for a relatively quiet summer unless there are any significant problems (an injury to a key player, a core asset pushing to go), which they are geared to solve."

Key player or core asset such as Shaqiri and/or Origi. Significant problems such as some of our players going the AFCON half way through the season for a stretch. Potential justifications for the club changing its mind on buying a player are stacking up.

"Can a target withstand months of patience while getting to grips with Klopp’s demands and mastering the standards on and off the pitch? See Robertson, and more pertinently as he cost £43.7m, it is worth remembering Fabinho didn’t make the matchday 18 when he joined Liverpool."

This does sometimes happen but its actually much more common with Klopps signings that they start getting game time from the start. Especially the expensive, quality ones like Alisson, VvD, Salah, Mane and Keita (who was later dropped).

"...and externally with Liverpool looking at players with high ceilings that are eager to further develop."

Doesn't mean these players can't already be top players.

"As ever, it is worth underscoring that there is fluidity involved with market matters."

Yes there is and there is also no chance the club tells Reddy or the others if they are making a move on a high profile (or even low profile) target till it's nearly done.

Finally; "Do not get sucked into abandoning the principles that have got the club to this point.... there is a massive difference being at the summit versus playing catch-up in trying to reach it....do the league leaders have an interest... Of course they do. It would be utterly ridiculous for them not to. ....the club are aware they have navigated to this position by being responsible and will continue to do so..... flexible enough to react if there is a need to bring in a game-changer.....Liverpool do not need to panic buy.... they are geared to solve...... objective this summer is to stay ahead of the curve and ‘fix the roof while the sun is shining’."!

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I'm glad we're sticking to what got us here, not feeling like we have to use these major titles now to get marquee players in to please fans and sponsors. The team comes first (our needs, plans for next evolution and results), it's above both investing time in our own youth and pleasing others with fancy signings. In both cases, it needs to serve what our people in charge think we need, simple as that.

But like we've seen with some examples lately, sometimes you need to make one or two serious moves. So like always, it's about balance and good decisions and timing of that. We're not City or PSG, we're not Real or Barca. But we're now one of Europe's best sides and making steps off the pitch we needed for such a long time, in order to stay in touch with the present.

So I'm totally fine if we're looking at another relatively peaceful window. Some fans might feel we have to do something. I wouldn't say it's time yet. We're not used to be in this position. One of the great things about this side is how cohesive we are. And that's because we have built a tight unit, more than individual quality (which of course we have in a few positions), there is genuine understanding of Klopp's principles.

Keep all our main guns for now, add to the squad if we can, give 100% again next season. Nobody guarantees you another title, not in this league and not with a direct competitor like City. The next step will be to show we can do it in a row, that we can remain at this level.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
The article doesn't even say what it says it does.

"Plausibility and cost are therefore bigger determining factors. Do Liverpool have the financial muscle to secure these brilliant youngsters?"

Err yes actually. We could easily see over 100 million in player sales if a top attacker came in.
Not being funny ARD but read the article properly. Literally in the very next paragraph Melissa says:

Yes, on account of the surgical work done in the market in recent years – a net spend of around £74.5m since Klopp’s appointment in 2015 – as well as the funds generated from on-pitch success and ballooning commercial gains.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Not being funny ARD but read the article properly. Literally in the very next paragraph Melissa says:

Yes, on account of the surgical work done in the market in recent years – a net spend of around £74.5m since Klopp’s appointment in 2015 – as well as the funds generated from on-pitch success and ballooning commercial gains.
Yes exactly. Plus we could be adding over 100 million to the bank balance with departing players fees.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
From the Rodgers years to now, this thread has gone from totally despairing to entirely irrelevant. Will Havertz come in or not? Will Mbappe be tempted? It doesn't matter in the least. We know that Klopp and Edwards go after their work quietly and efficiently, in the background and completely unnoticed by the media. Whether a big name (i.e.. VVD), a squad player (ie. Adrian), or a totally unknown young player (ie. Elliot) comes in, it will be the one which is needed in order to reinforce the squad. And we don't need to worry about anything but to watch things unfold on the pitch, in the complete trust that everything will be fine because the club has a clear idea of how to move forward.

It's marvelous, isn't it... going from Rodgers to this, in a few short years, who would have thought? :giggle:

Richard88

I'm glad we're sticking to what got us here, not feeling like we have to use these major titles now to get marquee players in to please fans and sponsors. The team comes first (our needs, plans for next evolution and results), it's above both investing time in our own youth and pleasing others with fancy signings. In both cases, it needs to serve what our people in charge think we need, simple as that.

But like we've seen with some examples lately, sometimes you need to make one or two serious moves. So like always, it's about balance and good decisions and timing of that. We're not City or PSG, we're not Real or Barca. But we're now one of Europe's best sides and making steps off the pitch we needed for such a long time, in order to stay in touch with the present.

So I'm totally fine if we're looking at another relatively peaceful window. Some fans might feel we have to do something. I wouldn't say it's time yet. We're not used to be in this position. One of the great things about this side is how cohesive we are. And that's because we have built a tight unit, more than individual quality (which of course we have in a few positions), there is genuine understanding of Klopp's principles.

Keep all our main guns for now, add to the squad if we can, give 100% again next season. Nobody guarantees you another title, not in this league and not with a direct competitor like City. The next step will be to show we can do it in a row, that we can remain at this level.
The part in bold in your post is PRECISELY the reason why we SHOULD sign some good young players this summer. You're absolutely right that it isn't time YET.... but in order to ensure that we continue to have a tight and cohesive unit we need to add players gradually to allow them time to understand the system and grow together - rather than waiting until Firmino, Mané, and Salah are already on the wrong side of 30 and need to be replaced in a shorter span of time and all at once.

Richard88

100m? How do you figure that much? The only squad players I see at risk of being sold are Shaqiri and Lovren. Maybe some small moves are made around them, but I'm guessing the most we'll net for those two is about 50M.
It's actually fairly easy to see how we could get close to £100m in sales:
  • Shaqiri - £25m (reportedly the clubs asking price this month).
  • Lovren - £15m (only 12 months left, but club has an option to add another year so it's effectively 2).
  • Wilson - £25m
  • Grujic - £20m
  • Karius - £7.5m
That's £93.5m right there, and doesn't include smaller sales for the likes of Ojo, Ejaria, Awoniyi, Woodburn, Phillips, etc. Given how good the club has been at selling players for decent sums in recent years (eg. Solanke, Ibe, Kent, Smith, etc) it's not hard to imagine that those fees could add up to well above £20m combined.

Moreover, I think Klopp would probably want to keep Origi but it might be a similar situation to Ings where the player chooses to go elsewhere for gametime if we sign Werner. In which case we could net another £30m... Which would bring the total combined sales to over £140m including all of the aforementioned potential sales, none of whom are key members of the first team objectively speaking.

Ron Swanson

We will do what we do in the summer and we will get who Kloop thinks he can work with and be and assets to the team to push us forward doesn't bother me if it's a £££££'s player or a player plucked out of nowhere. If Klopp thinks he is good enough for us. I won't disagree with his choice at all.