• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
That’s my point. You’ve seen him plenty in YOUTH SIDES. It’s just dumb to say he’s “better” than Dejan Lovren and/or would be a better fit in the senior side. When Nat Phillips logs his first 15 PL starts, let’s start talking.
I think you're coming across confrontational and aggressive. He said Liverpool games including the Everton one and Stuttgart games too. He is only offering an opinion which is based on more information than most have. Fabinho dropping back to CB would probably be above either of the two by now anyway so we are really talking the 5th senior option anyway. With youth players like Hoever potentially getting some chances to help their development too. It's hardly an issue. Any issue that does exist at CB is how many games Matip misses through injury and Gomez through injury and covering RB. But Lovren, with his awful fitness record, isn't really a solution for that.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I think you're coming across confrontational and aggressive. He said Liverpool games including the Everton one and Stuttgart games too. He is only offering an opinion which is based on more information than most have. Fabinho dropping back to CB would probably be above either of the two by now anyway so we are really talking the 5th senior option anyway. With youth players like Hoever potentially getting some chances to help their development too. It's hardly an issue. Any issue that does exist at CB is how many games Matip misses through injury and Gomez through injury and covering RB. But Lovren, with his awful fitness record, isn't really a solution for that.
The comment made was a sweeping generality - on a very limited body of work - and I was asking for texture. No confrontation. You don’t think Sweetings original comment about Lovren was equally confrontational and demeaning? I am a fan of Dejan Lovren, deficiencies and all, and the Boss seems to still believe in him as well. He can play at the PL level. I don’t at all believe Nathanial Phillips is a PL level player or ever will be - based on his limited body of work. Again, simply my opinion.

EDIT: and I repeat, I’m not at all looking to stir trouble and haven’t said anything confrontational. I was responding in kind to a proclamation. Just for the record.

Cold turkey for EPL football,drives you fucking mad.
THIS!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
The comment made was a sweeping generality - on a very limited body of work - and I was asking for texture. No confrontation. You don’t think Sweetings original comment about Lovren was equally confrontational and demeaning? I am a fan of Dejan Lovren, deficiencies and all, and the Boss seems to still believe in him as well. He can play at the PL level. I don’t at all believe Nathanial Phillips is a PL level player or ever will be - based on his limited body of work. Again, simply my opinion.

EDIT: and I repeat, I’m not at all looking to stir trouble and haven’t said anything confrontational. I was responding in kind to a proclamation. Just for the record.

THIS!
I think next time you see Lovren mentioned on here you should just walk away. If you want my honest opinion you came across like an a hole. You may have too much emotional attachment to him? I think it's a certainty he leaves this summer with Klopps full blessing. The question that could be asked is should Matip join him and a new CB come in? Klopp will probably stick with Matip. Lovren is too expensive a luxury item to have as a 4th/5th choice. Surely if you rate him you have to at least concede that? If Hoever and/or Van Den Berg were more developed we probably wouldn't keep Phillips either.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin

THIS!
I think Sweeting has seen enough of Phillips to make his judgement more than a knee jerk reaction to one game. Including his games at Stuttgart.

Whatever, I’m pretty certain that Lovren will move on this summer. He isn’t going to be happy to be fourth choice and I can’t see the club offering him another contract. Around 10-15m should do it.

Farewell then brave Dejan. Not as bad as people first thought, but nowhere good enough to be a Liverpool player.

The question then becomes how do you replace him?

- go into the market for a fourth choice Centre Back?
- promote Hoever or VDB?
- Doesn’t need replacing?

Personally I think we’ve already got one of the 10 best Centre Backs in the league starting in defensive midfield for us. I’d be telling Fab that next year he can expect to play 10-15 games at the back against the shite.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I think next time you see Lovren mentioned on here you should just walk away. If you want my honest opinion you came across like an a hole. You may have too much emotional attachment to him? I think it's a certainty he leaves this summer with Klopps full blessing. The question that could be asked is should Matip join him and a new CB come in? Klopp will probably stick with Matip. Lovren is too expensive a luxury item to have as a 4th/5th choice. Surely if you rate him you have to at least concede that? If Hoever and/or Van Den Berg were more developed we probably wouldn't keep Phillips either.
Noted. And thank you!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think Sweeting has seen enough of Phillips to make his judgement more than a knee jerk reaction to one game. Including his games at Stuttgart.

Whatever, I’m pretty certain that Lovren will move on this summer. He isn’t going to be happy to be fourth choice and I can’t see the club offering him another contract. Around 10-15m should do it.

Farewell then brave Dejan. Not as bad as people first thought, but nowhere good enough to be a Liverpool player.

The question then becomes how do you replace him?

- go into the market for a fourth choice Centre Back?
- promote Hoever or VDB?
- Doesn’t need replacing?

Personally I think we’ve already got one of the 10 best Centre Backs in the league starting in defensive midfield for us. I’d be telling Fab that next year he can expect to play 10-15 games at the back against the shite.
Didn't agree with you originally (I don't think) but coming round to your way of thinking. Henderson and even Wijnaldum do a good or decent job at DM when Fabinho is missing. With Phillips for emergency situations and potential future players in Hoever and Van Den Berg there would be no need to replace Lovren.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Like I’ve said before, the move I would make is to send off Matip and Lovren and dip in the market for a reliable third choice, know that if you get one that doesn’t take four weeks off for a case of the vapours, they’ll more than replace our two current back ups.

But realistically, Matip will stay. He hasn’t long signed a new contract. Hope he’s spent some during his most recent absence having his bones plated with adamantium.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Like I’ve said before, the move I would make is to send off Matip and Lovren and dip in the market for a reliable third choice, know that if you get one that doesn’t take four weeks off for a case of the vapours, they’ll more than replace our two current back ups.

But realistically, Matip will stay. He hasn’t long signed a new contract. Hope he’s spent some during his most recent absence having his bones plated with adamantium.
At least with Neco Williams emerging we should need to use Gomez at RB less.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Glad you took the advice in the spirit it was offered. For the record Tom Ince taught me to never disagree too strongly with Sweeting when it comes to the promise of youth team talents. I'm still wiping the egg off my face to this day.
I still have flashes of PTSD from our exchanges that summer! :LOL:

Sweeting

That’s my point. You’ve seen him plenty in YOUTH SIDES. It’s just dumb to say he’s “better” than Dejan Lovren and/or would be a better fit in the senior side. When Nat Phillips logs his first 15 PL starts, let’s start talking.
I respect your belief in Lovren though I disagree. I think Lovren at his very very best is still our 4th best CB and I think there is an opportunity to replace him with a cheaper, more suitable player.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
I respect your belief in Lovren though I disagree. I think Lovren at his very very best is still our 4th best CB and I think there is an opportunity to replace him with a cheaper, more suitable player.
I'm ready to move on from Dejan if we can get a decent fee for him, but I have not been especially impressed with Nat Phillips (in limited action, admittedly). I'm hoping Sepp makes the leap next year and can slot in as our fourth choice CB.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Here's a juicy, unreliable rumour for all of us: according to France Football, Liverpool have had a 35 million euros bid for Samuel Chukwueze rejected by Villareal last month, who reportedly want his full clause of 65 million euros paid out. Just as we mentioned that Liverpool would likely go in for a right winger, eh... It's not the first time club have been linked with him if I'm not mistaken.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Here's a juicy, unreliable rumour for all of us: according to France Football, Liverpool have had a 35 million euros bid for Samuel Chukwueze rejected by Villareal last month, who reportedly want his full clause of 65 million euros paid out. Just as we mentioned that Liverpool would likely go in for a right winger, eh... It's not the first time club have been linked with him if I'm not mistaken.
100% the next attacker we sign won’t be african because of the Africa Cup was moved back to january.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
In response to the "report" that Barcelona is dropping their value of Coutinho below 100M and Liverpool would be interested:

If Liverpool was going to spend ~100M on a player, it won't be on Coutinho.
You have this in writing or a source at the club?

battleofspionkop

i also just saw something about juve offering 150 million for virgil. utterly ridiculous, but i guess it's a better place to be than our circa 2010 rumors: wigan offer four heifers for paul konchesky :ROFLMAO:

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
And just like that the juicy rumour was dead before it even started
I don't think it necessarily kills it if the player has barely played international football. Also, if a player has retired from international football they may also be an option regardless of where they are from.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
100% the next attacker we sign won’t be african because of the Africa Cup was moved back to january.
Hmmm. I can really see the club going for Chukwueze. Exciting young player, 20ish, just under the radar and might be about to break out. Probably available at a decent price in the summer. Also also looks like a Mo Salah replacement, presuming he might want to to get off at some point.

But the AFCON thing is a barrier. For me, it would be. Maybe the club aren’t arsed?

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
With this AFCON debate, wouldn’t a couple of weeks of it be part of our winter break anyway? So the players that jet off will only miss 3 weeks or so?

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I had wondered if the club would loan Coutinho back for the season to help solve the AFCON issue.

Then I saw that tweet that Klopp & Edwards discussed a move for him last summer, and I am thinking it could be a goer.

He may not be a perfect fit for the side, but for a season it could be worth it.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
I had wondered if the club would loan Coutinho back for the season to help solve the AFCON issue.

Then I saw that tweet that Klopp & Edwards discussed a move for him last summer, and I am thinking it could be a goer.

He may not be a perfect fit for the side, but for a season it could be worth it.
I’d have him back. If we get rid of Shaqiri and Wilson and got Coutinho that’s an improvement in my book.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Hmmm. I can really see the club going for Chukwueze. Exciting young player, 20ish, just under the radar and might be about to break out. Probably available at a decent price in the summer. Also also looks like a Mo Salah replacement, presuming he might want to to get off at some point.

But the AFCON thing is a barrier. For me, it would be. Maybe the club aren’t arsed?

im getting the feeling klopp, for all his meticulous planning, and the fact that last season, not so much this season obviously, dropping 2 points could ruin a season, probably would rather get the player he wants and deal with the fall out.

i have no idea why i feel like this, i just do.

it makes semse for the next attackr to be european or southamerican....but.....i just think if the player he has his heart set n happens to be missing along with sadio and Mo, then he will just deal with it.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
With this AFCON debate, wouldn’t a couple of weeks of it be part of our winter break anyway? So the players that jet off will only miss 3 weeks or so?
It would still mean somewhere between 5 and 10 league games missed during actual tournament. Gets into murky area if it would be more. How long will the players need to be with their national side to prepare before first game? Will they have a break after tournament before getting back on the pitch for us? How far will they go in the competition? The points City recorded last year and the year before just a few extra draws or a loss could be enough to swing a back to back league win into a valiant second placed finish. We don't know if this season for City is a permanent drop off in form or even if another rival will step up to those levels or not. We just need to make sure we are prepared to run at that level (90+ points) again next season if we want to retain the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.