• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Hmmm. I can really see the club going for Chukwueze. Exciting young player, 20ish, just under the radar and might be about to break out. Probably available at a decent price in the summer. Also also looks like a Mo Salah replacement, presuming he might want to to get off at some point.

But the AFCON thing is a barrier. For me, it would be. Maybe the club aren’t arsed?

im getting the feeling klopp, for all his meticulous planning, and the fact that last season, not so much this season obviously, dropping 2 points could ruin a season, probably would rather get the player he wants and deal with the fall out.

i have no idea why i feel like this, i just do.

it makes semse for the next attackr to be european or southamerican....but.....i just think if the player he has his heart set n happens to be missing along with sadio and Mo, then he will just deal with it.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
With this AFCON debate, wouldn’t a couple of weeks of it be part of our winter break anyway? So the players that jet off will only miss 3 weeks or so?
It would still mean somewhere between 5 and 10 league games missed during actual tournament. Gets into murky area if it would be more. How long will the players need to be with their national side to prepare before first game? Will they have a break after tournament before getting back on the pitch for us? How far will they go in the competition? The points City recorded last year and the year before just a few extra draws or a loss could be enough to swing a back to back league win into a valiant second placed finish. We don't know if this season for City is a permanent drop off in form or even if another rival will step up to those levels or not. We just need to make sure we are prepared to run at that level (90+ points) again next season if we want to retain the league.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Wait, where does the 10 games, possibly more come from? During the scheduled tournament dates, Jan 9th to Feb 6th we this year played 6 league games - which includes our rearranged West Ham match and takes into account one earlier one that assumes they'll join up with their countries a few days in advance of it happening AND that they'll reach the final, which given the number of participating countries our players represent is impossible for them all to do. There's a big difference between 'maybe 10 games and possibly more' and 'around five games but probably less for most of them'.

I also wonder if the league might end up shifting the winter break to help mitigate it also.

It might influence thinking, but there's just as great a chance that it won't imho.

[email protected]

It would still mean somewhere between 5 and 10 league games missed during actual tournament. Gets into murky area if it would be more. How long will the players need to be with their national side to prepare before first game? Will they have a break after tournament before getting back on the pitch for us? How far will they go in the competition? The points City recorded last year and the year before just a few extra draws or a loss could be enough to swing a back to back league win into a valiant second placed finish. We don't know if this season for City is a permanent drop off in form or even if another rival will step up to those levels or not. We just need to make sure we are prepared to run at that level (90+ points) again next season if we want to retain the league.
At this point we are looking at Salah, Mané and Keita. Looking at the qualifying groups, they should all go through to the tournament but unless they're all going through to the latter stages and ending up with all three of them in the last four, the damage is unlikely to be so extreme.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Wait, where does the 10 games, possibly more come from? During the scheduled tournament dates, Jan 9th to Feb 6th we this year played 6 league games - which includes our rearranged West Ham match and takes into account one earlier one that assumes they'll join up with their countries a few days in advance of it happening AND that they'll reach the final, which given the number of participating countries our players represent is impossible for them all to do. There's a big difference between 'maybe 10 games and possibly more' and 'around five games but probably less for most of them'.

I also wonder if the league might end up shifting the winter break to help mitigate it also.

It might influence thinking, but there's just as great a chance that it won't imho.
Well I'm guessing they won't be with us up till Jan 8th? They'll need to be with their international sides first right? And some of the playing period is guaranteed right? Even those that go home as early as possible will be there for about half of it won't they? Rest/recovery period after? They won't be ready to play for Liverpool the day after their final game? I'd say 5 league games would be a reasonable guess as the minimum but it could be more than 10 if the fitness team think they need to recover afterwards, if they get to the final and slog their guts out. In 2017 the tournament was a little shorter by date Bailly missed 4 United games in the league but Ivory Coast played 3 games which I think was the minimum. El-Neny seemed to miss 5 for Arsenal and got to the final. Maybe 10 is just the fear talking. I'm just considering worst case scenario. We don't know what the winter break deal will be or the cup situation (they've started moving over to midweek games). Theres 5 weekends during the dates anyway and it wouldn't surprise me at all if we end up with more than 5 league fixtures during that time.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
At this point we are looking at Salah, Mané and Keita. Looking at the qualifying groups, they should all go through to the tournament but unless they're all going through to the latter stages and ending up with all three of them in the last four, the damage is unlikely to be so extreme.
Do we know the dates of the group fixtures and stuff? Can't find anything. Tournament is going to be little longer than usual and expanded from 16 to 24 sides. I'd think they'd all likely get past group and probably round of 16. It's at quarter final stage at latest we need them to drop out as if they win quarter final they are guaranteed to play the semis and then either the final or 3rd place play off. I've got a feeling Mane and Salah will be run into the ground during it and need a rest after. The final 4 sides will have played 9 games inside of a 29 days period. It's quite intense. I'm not worried about Keita missing, we have strength in depth at CM and can cope without him. But Salah and Mane are (as it stands) our only two senior wingers/wide forwards and we play with 2 in our incredibly successful plan A tactics. I don't want to see us playing a 4231 for over a month without either of those two (who bring the intensity up front). Guess I'm just looking at last season and the fine margins and worrying.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
I'd say 10 goes beyond a worst-case scenario. Firstly, their nations may not even qualify for the finals, as happened with both Egypt and Senegal in the last winter AFCON in 2018, then there's a good chance their countries won't make it as far as the final if they do qualify. Given we're talking about more than two countries represented at the very least (depending on summer signings) in Senegal, Egypt and Guinea at least one of our involved players will be back before then and most likely more. I don't recall any instances of players getting a prolonged recovery period upon returning, though there's naturally the possibility of injury as with Mane a couple of tournaments ago and Keita last summer. For me that's the biggest risk of involvement, but not something that would likely deter recruitment of a player we were keen on.

There's zero chance of players missing a quarter of the season or more due to involvement in the tournament, injury excepting.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
When players have been before, it was nothing like ten games.

I think I agree with @redbj. If the player ticks the boxes, they won’t let the AFCON put them off.

I understood the summer move was just because it’s in Nigeria this time, and it’s too hot for a summer tournament?

[email protected]

Do we know the dates of the group fixtures and stuff? Can't find anything. Tournament is going to be little longer than usual and expanded from 16 to 24 sides. I'd think they'd all likely get past group and probably round of 16. It's at quarter final stage at latest we need them to drop out as if they win quarter final they are guaranteed to play the semis and then either the final or 3rd place play off. I've got a feeling Mane and Salah will be run into the ground during it and need a rest after. The final 4 sides will have played 9 games inside of a 29 days period. It's quite intense. I'm not worried about Keita missing, we have strength in depth at CM and can cope without him. But Salah and Mane are (as it stands) our only two senior wingers/wide forwards and we play with 2 in our incredibly successful plan A tactics. I don't want to see us playing a 4231 for over a month without either of those two (who bring the intensity up front). Guess I'm just looking at last season and the fine margins and worrying.
No definitely, it is a worry. I think injury and fatigue is probably the biggest concern though, rather than the actual length of the tournament although the possibility of both having a major effect increases with the longer they compete in it. Hate that competition; not what it stands for obviously and not always the fact that it's in the middle of the season even but the utter stupidity in that it will combine being in the middle of the season and every two years as often as not.

Last edited:

[email protected]

When players have been before, it was nothing like ten games.

I think I agree with @redbj. If the player ticks the boxes, they won’t let the AFCON put them off.

I understood the summer move was just because it’s in Nigeria this time, and it’s too hot for a summer tournament?
Cameroon, and as I mentioned in the AFCON thread there is no way that a tournament can be held exclusively in the European summer without significant challenges because of the nature of Africa as a climate; most countries south of the Equator would be possible while equatorial and countries north of the equator would simply not generally be feasible.

Limiescouse

That is the official position, but they knew it was in Cameroon and what the weather was going to be like there when they made the initial decision to hold it in our summer. It's also important to consider that the following tournament has already been awarded to the Ivory Coast and they have even hotter and wetter weather in our summer yet it's only this next version's that is being moved back to winter.

The real issue is that the summer version clashed with Fifa's new expanded club world cup and they didnt want the competition.

Last edited:

Mascot88

Admin
No definitely, it is a worry. I think injury and fatigue is probably the biggest concern though, rather than the actual length of the tournament although the possibility of both having a major effect increases with the longer they compete in it. Hate that competition; not what it stands for obviously and not always the fact that it's in the middle of the season even but the utter stupidity in that it will combine being in the middle of the season and every two years as often as not.
The continental tournaments - The Euro’s, Copa America, AFCON etc should be aligned on the same four yearly cycle.

Holding the AFCON every two years takes the piss.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
Ziyech is allegedly on his way to Chelsea for 45M. Good signing for them for a reasonable fee. He would have been a nice addition here. He was on my personal shortlist of midfielders that I was interested in - though behind the likes of Fernandes and Havertz. Who knows if Lampard actually knows how to manage, but Ziyech would have been deadly with Klopp coaching him up.

Oh well.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
From the BBC's rumours page ...
Liverpool are planning to swoop for RB Leipzig striker Timo Werner, 23, this summer and a fee of around £46m will be enough to sign him. (Bild)
Liverpool will battle Real Madrid for the signature of Inter Milan midfielder Marcelo Brozovic, 27, in the summer. (Star)
Juventus boss Maurizio Sarri admits Aaron Ramsey, 29, hasn't found things easy during his injury-hit time in Italy, prompting speculation of a return to the Premier League with Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea all linked. (Mirror) (Maybe it's like being in a foreign country.)

Other interesting but non-LFC stuff there:
Real Madrid have identified Everton's Moise Kean, 19, as a potential striker target. (Teamtalk) (Yeah, right.)
Borussia Dortmund will allow England forward Jadon Sancho, 19, to leave in the summer and are looking at transfer targets to replace him. (Telegraph) (I forsee an increase in activity in the pointless Sancho thread. If we even bid for him I'll show my a*** in Uniqlo's window.)
Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti, 60, is already eyeing an extended stay at Goodison Park despite only signing a lengthy contract in December. (Mail) (Well, that raised an eyebrow.)
And some shit outlet says that Coutinho will not be returning to Anfield as he's on "another journey", apparently.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Other interesting but non-LFC stuff there:
Real Madrid have identified Everton's Moise Kean, 19, as a potential striker target. (Teamtalk) (Yeah, right.)
Borussia Dortmund will allow England forward Jadon Sancho, 19, to leave in the summer and are looking at transfer targets to replace him. (Telegraph) (I forsee an increase in activity in the pointless Sancho thread. If we even bid for him I'll show my a*** in Uniqlo's window.)
Everton
manager Carlo Ancelotti, 60, is already eyeing an extended stay at Goodison Park despite only signing a lengthy contract in December. (Mail) (Well, that raised an eyebrow.)
And some shit outlet says that Coutinho will not be returning to Anfield as he's on "another journey", apparently.
Thats quite brave given Dom King is suggesting we are making a bid for him this summer. :ROFLMAO:

vjcpatriot

Honestly completely lost any interest in Coutinho ever since he forced his way out of town. All I'll say is thanks to your dollars, we were able to fund the purchases of both Van Dyke and Alisson. So thanks for that, but otherwise, don't let the door hit your bum on the way out. Buh Bye!

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Doubt whether we would even seriously consider Cou. again.
At a bargain basement price it might look reasonable but I,for one would worry that after a few decent games the Spaniards might come sniffing,and we may well see a re run of last time.
That ship has sailed...move on!

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Doubt whether we would even seriously consider Cou. again.
At a bargain basement price it might look reasonable but I,for one would worry that after a few decent games the Spaniards might come sniffing,and we may well see a re run of last time.
That ship has sailed...move on!
We have moved on, even at a bargain price the risk to team harmony is too great.

He was a great player but the way he left is unforgivable. No problem with players leaving it happens but to hand in a transfer request the day before the season starts having fully committed to the club only a couple of weeks earlier in a deliberate attempt to unsettle the club and force through the move....get f*^ked never welcome here again and the reality is we dont need him anyway.

Good riddance to the all time biggest transfer flop in football history.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Ramsey had an injury-hit time in Italy? Who could have foreseen that? I'm sure all he needs is to return to the beautiful and forgiving English weather and his physical robustness will return.
Isn't it more they basically play at walking pace in Italy?

Mascot88

Admin
We have moved on, even at a bargain price the risk to team harmony is too great.

He was a great player but the way he left is unforgivable. No problem with players leaving it happens but to hand in a transfer request the day before the season starts having fully committed to the club only a couple of weeks earlier in a deliberate attempt to unsettle the club and force through the move....get f*^ked never welcome here again and the reality is we dont need him anyway.

Good riddance to the all time biggest transfer flop in football history.
The reason I wouldn’t take Coutinho back is that he serves us more as a warning that your dream transfer to one of the Spanish giants could easily become a nightmare, while we go on to hoover up trophies.

That has more value than he could offer as a player.

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
The reason I wouldn’t take Coutinho back is that he serves us more as a warning that your dream transfer to one of the Spanish giants could easily become a nightmare, while we go on to hoover up trophies.

Exactly! (As I think I said in the ex players thread). ;-)

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

Him back at the club telling everyone the same may have a bigger impact? Expecially if he then puts in double the effort he did before?

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
UEFA banning City from European competition for 2 years will make it tougher for City to attract the best players now. Choosing to play for Klopp in the CL, versus City without CL is an easy decision.
They will be throwing some massive wage offers around trying to land players. They did the same thing early on in the Mansour era to try and fast forward their accent. They bought a lot of very expensive, mercenary type players who cost them a bucket load in wages and it ended up costing them a shed load when they had to cull those players out.

Also means they will have a fixture advantage over us as well. I'd rather be playing in Europe don't get me wrong but it is going to mean they have their very best team playing every league game without having to rest/rotate from the mid week Cl games which we will have to do in that same period. Could make our title defense a bit tougher.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
They will be throwing some massive wage offers around trying to land players. They did the same thing early on in the Mansour era to try and fast forward their accent. They bought a lot of very expensive, mercenary type players who cost them a bucket load in wages and it ended up costing them a shed load when they had to cull those players out.

Also means they will have a fixture advantage over us as well. I'd rather be playing in Europe don't get me wrong but it is going to mean they have their very best team playing every league game without having to rest/rotate from the mid week Cl games which we will have to do in that same period. Could make our title defense a bit tougher.
....and make them more at risk of further FFP sanctions.

.....and make their team filled with sub standard, over paid mercenaries ringing their half arsed performances in because they don't care about the team or success just their pay packet. Decent players who still want the money can go to other places and get paid a lot whilst playing at a high level.