The Unreliable Rumours Thread

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I thought Cantwell did well enough, considering the opposition. He constantly showed for the ball and asked for it under pressure, retaining it successfully a lot of the time. Didn't lay a glove on us in our 3rd of the pitch but their ball retention kept us at arm's length for a decent chunk of the game.

I could see why he's on our list, but I also think some of the criticisms are fair. He lacks pace and compared to somebody like Jones I don't think he has the same capacity to hurt the opposition around their box.

I believe he might make a decent squad player but I'm struggling to see the need for his type right now.

boston red

Show me the Mane.
Madison could be off in summer for big money Cantwell could be got for at least 20,30 mil.

Solid info, thanks.

I’m not fully on the Cantwell bus as he seems about another Lallana level player, at best, and while I like Lallana as a player (not his fitness) our team seems to have moved on to better.

I’m also not fully sure on the position, as I think Cantwell plays in the same sort of area on the pitch that Jones occupies, and I’d rather see our own young player come through the ranks to the team, rather than be hindered by someone else who is only currently of a similar level (my opinion). If we sign a much better player and potentially hinder the progress of our own man, that’s harsh, but it’s also elite football, and life is tough at the top! (Havertz could be that player, for example). But if we sign a player on a similar level to what Jones currently is, like Cantwell, I’d rather we didn’t spend the money and promoted from within.

Obviously I haven’t got a detailed file on Cantwell, and I know much less than our recruitment department, but for the purpose of discussion I don’t just want to say, “Whatever they decide” as while that’s the ultimate conclusion, we’d all have nothing to say if applied to every potential signing! Whatever they say is fine by me.... repeat. It would be tumbleweed on the forum.

Cantwell looks skillful, the numbers above show he might be at a similar level to two more expensively rated players, and I’m sure the raw material is there for him to become a good player. But a Liverpool player? Not for me Clive. That’s rarified air.

My best guess is Man Utd might buy Maddison and then Rodgers will sign Cantwell to replace him at half the price. He could be a good player for Leicester, but that’s different to being good enough for us.

Eat a few steaks, get on the weights, stop falling over... maybe then I’d be more charitable towards him!
I know I'll shot down for this but of the 3 mentioned i would go for Grealish.

Only because when I see him play he reminds me of a 2009 ish Gareth Bale, it's something about his Stature and the amount of time he has on the ball.

One of his goals this season was very reminiscent of that George Best effort we see every Christmas

So based on that alone and wilfully ignoring the well though out scientific and statistical arguments, I think well sign him

If we do, he improve massively playing in our team...

If we dont, happy to go with Klopp :)

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
BBC rumours page:
Leverkusen's 20-year-old Germany midfielder Kai Havertz, thought to be a target of Liverpool, could be available in the summer transfer window, according to the club's sporting director. (Goal)

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Saw links to Milot Rashica for around 30mil. Looks fast but not as fast as Salah or Mane. Plays abit more like Salah then Mane in that he likes to take the ball and dribble and shoot unlike Mane who loves the quick 1-2 alot of times. Again there are probably no lack of these kind of players, fast enough, hardworking, could assist and score goals and discipline at the price level of 30-60mil. The reason why we can buy at these price levels is because we have the confidence of the coaching team and scouting team to scout the right player and the coaching team to develop them into the right player for our system rather than spending 100mil for a so called ready made player. We could, but its a choice rather than a need.

Joe1972

I’ve never posted rumours before as I know 99% are bollox....but....from someone I know well who is not a bullshitter - Werner is a done deal, Sancho isn’t far behind. The flip side is that Salah will be moving on in the summer. I for one would be quite happy with this.

KYRed18

How are we looking on homegrown/association specific players for next year? Will losing Lallana and Clyne put us in a position where we have to find someone that checks multiple boxes (i.e. target AND english etc etc)? I am not too familiar on these rules. Thanks in advance

Limiescouse

How are we looking on homegrown/association specific players for next year? Will losing Lallana and Clyne put us in a position where we have to find someone that checks multiple boxes (i.e. target AND english etc etc)? I am not too familiar on these rules. Thanks in advance
How many games do we have to replace with a new homegrown player if we lose Clyne?

Herb

I’ve never posted rumours before as I know 99% are bollox....but....from someone I know well who is not a bullshitter - Werner is a done deal, Sancho isn’t far behind. The flip side is that Salah will be moving on in the summer. I for one would be quite happy with this.
Where is Salah going in this supposed situation then?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
My understanding is this that you can have max 17 non-homegrown players in the 25 man premier league squad and we have 15 so we could replace clyne and lallana with 'foreign' players and still be okay.

But honestly I try and understand it every year and still get confused because i can never figure out how old our young players are and if they count as under 21s or seniors.
If I've got it right they are under 21 if they are under 21 on the 1st of Jan in the calendar year during which the season starts. So if they turn 22 on 2nd January 2020 they will still be an "under 21" till the end of the 2020/21 season, by which time they'll be 23. I think. It might be 20 or younger on 1st Jan in which case they could be as old as 22 instead.

Also just to complicate things further in European squad lists they only count as under 21s if they have been on your clubs books for 2 full seasons or longer. So if it's an 18 year old from Germany or somewhere he will count as a foreign "senior" player and if it's an 18 year old from somewhere like Wigan they count as a "senior" homegrown player on those lists.

It's not how many people seem to think anyway. You have it right. You are limited to 25 senior players both domestically and in Europe. But a maximum of 17 can be foreign. But that number would obviously go down if you had more home grown players. If you had 12 home grown senior players you would be limited to 13 foreign for instance. With the hopes from our academy that wouldn't be an outrageous expectation in a few years. Grabara/Kelleher, Gomez, Phillips, Hoever, Larouci, Alexander-Arnold, Williams, Jones, Elliott, Woodburn, Wilson, Brewster and several others would all count as homegrown when they are considered over 21s if they are still with us I think. In fact they'd all count as club developed too probably and in Europe there are four senior spots in the 25 that you can only fill with club developed players.

Red over the water

Thanks for posting in good faith. We’ll see what happens, but I would be fine with that too. Sancho and Werner in, Mo out. The team evolves, the age comes down a bit, and the depth goes up, not just overall but especially for AFCON.

Mind you, if it is Horlicks and Mo stays, I would be happy with that too. Turns out he can play!

StevieJayUSA

Funny you mention this, as today a Merseyside mate posted on a message board that he’s heard from a reputable source that Mo will be leaving this summer also.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Lots of chatter these last few months about Mo leaving in the Summer. I would hate to lose him but taking all the emotion out of it, I would completely understand if he wants to move on to a new professional challenge. He came back to PL and proved to the world he could dominate in the best league in the world. Won a CL medal, which he himself said was his lifelong dream, and is now on the verge of winning a League medal. Whatever the outcome I’ll always appreciate what he’s done for our club.

LFCFFC

IIRC Klopp seemed pretty confident that we would be hanging on to the front 3 for at least another season a little while ago. Of course, things can change very quickly but the safe money's always been to take the manager on face value.

This isn't a shot at the posters who have reported these rumours about Salah that are apparently circulating. It's not the most far-fetched idea that he might want to leave for a new challenge after winning the CL and (hopefully) the PL with Liverpool. In saying that, given how tight lipped everyone at the club are in regards to transfers, I'd be very surprised if these whispers were emanating from a legitimate source.

Keeping Mo as a known quantity who has scored a mountain of goals for us is clearly the most desirable option. Putting that to side for a second though, if he did want to go I'd be all in on the Werner + Sancho train.

Ron Swanson

If we ever lost one of the front three, even though he scores a hat full of goals I think to the team Salah would be the least of a loss, Sadio would be a massive loss and tough to deal with but losing Bobby that would break me, he is perfect foil for Klopp's system so if we did bring say Werner and Sancho in then if we lose Mo though a loss it would be like a band aid it will only hurt for a little while when you pull it off. For their age Sancho and Werner would be long term for the club.
Still reckon only Werner will come in out of the two though.