The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
If we can get £25m for Origi and pay £50m for Werner, then that is looking a really sound bit of business.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
If we can get £25m for Origi and pay £50m for Werner, then that is looking a really sound bit of business.
Only if he is;

1; A much better fit for our needs and tactics than Origi (seen plenty on both sides of fence). Or;
2; Much better quality than Origi (again seen enough to give a tinge of doubt). Or;
3; Both.

For what its worth I'd be disappointed if that's all we get for Origi I'd be looking at £35 million plus in this market. I'm also only expecting one or two incoming. With the accounts the way they are and needs on the pitch almost all covered I would only be bringing in the very best player available to us. If that is Werner and he is available at a discount then that's fantastic! Brilliant. But I don't think I've seen anyone say he should be our number one best target if we could sign any semi available player on the planet. He seems to get linked because of the clause. If we wouldn't sign him at "full price", say £70/80 million(?) we shouldn't sign him on a discounted price just because he is cheap.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Only if he is;

1; A much better fit for our needs and tactics than Origi (seen plenty on both sides of fence). Or;
2; Much better quality than Origi (again seen enough to give a tinge of doubt). Or;
3; Both.

For what its worth I'd be disappointed if that's all we get for Origi I'd be looking at £35 million plus in this market. I'm also only expecting one or two incoming. With the accounts the way they are and needs on the pitch almost all covered I would only be bringing in the very best player available to us. If that is Werner and he is available at a discount then that's fantastic! Brilliant. But I don't think I've seen anyone say he should be our number one best target if we could sign any semi available player on the planet. He seems to get linked because of the clause. If we wouldn't sign him at "full price", say £70/80 million(?) we shouldn't sign him on a discounted price just because he is cheap.
I think £25 feels about right. Let’s face it - we constantly exaggerate and get carried away with the fees we expect to rake in. We’re a willing seller in the transaction so can’t expect to drive the price up.

Mind you, Laptop Mike is a ninja, so who knows.

On Werner, for me it’s that he is upfront that he knows he will be coming in a cover and will have to earn his chances.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think £25 feels about right. Let’s face it - we constantly exaggerate and get carried away with the fees we expect to rake in. We’re a willing seller in the transaction so can’t expect to drive the price up.

On Werner, for me it’s that he is upfront that he knows he will be coming in a cover and will have to earn his chances.
Edwards hasn't been disappointing on sales, if anything he has been selling at overpriced rates.

I think there are conflicting reports on if that's what he is willing to accept.

GaryBarlow99

I'd be happy with Sancho and a versatile player who could play a few positions like LB, CB and DM (Bensebaini?). Jones gets Lallana's minutes and Elliot is given more game time if Shaqiri leaves. Hopefully Minamino gets up to speed in the summer as well.

Kopstar

★★★★★★

Sure, we might exaggerate and get carried away but £25?

;)

Noo Noo

Perhaps Edwards could install Origi onto City's transfer database along with some suitable statistics. A price of £50m should cover the fee, I think.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
That's seems the most likely , but it would be a shame to lose Origi. He is a different type of player from Salah and Mane, so it is a different set of problems when he comes on.
I have not watched Werner play, is he like salah and mo (lightning fast, strong and great feet) or more physical and thundering like Origi ?
From what I have seen of Werner he is a bit of a combination of all three.

He certainly has the pace of Mo and Mane and his movement off the ball is intelligent and his finishing is excellent. Think of a bit more of a polished version of Origi. Not quite as big and strong as Origi but still strong enough to win the one on one duel when he needs to. For a player who can rotate across the front 3 or come on with 20-30 minutes left in the game against tired defenders he could be very damaging.

I think he gives us more in that role than Origi can.

I say all that but I do love big Div, scored some massive goals for us and won't be upset if he stays at the club.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
From the Beeb:
The sporting director of RB Leipzig says the club have not received an approach for 23-year-old Germany striker Timo Werner, amid interest from Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester United. (Mirror)

Meanwhile, Dortmund could ask for as much as 140 million euros (£121m) for England forward Jadon Sancho, 19. (Bild - in German)

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
How good is this Birmingham kid Bellingham that Dortmund are sniffing around? It feels to me like they're doing their usual thing of selling at a premium and looking to get in a cheaper replacement who turns out to be amazing in a year or two's time.

Is there an argument to be made that the wiser thing than spending £120m on Sancho might be paying a quarter or less of that for the kid they want to replace him with?

Edit: actually, looks like he is more of a central player, was sure that I'd read he was a winger, never mind. He does look good though. And, tbf, we are likely to be looking for a more central player as well given Milner's age, Lallana leaving and Naby's continued injury issues.

Last edited:

[email protected]

How good is this Birmingham kid Bellingham that Dortmund are sniffing around? It feels to me like they're doing their usual thing of selling at a premium and looking to get in a cheaper replacement who turns out to be amazing in a year or two's time.

Is there an argument to be made that the wiser thing than spending £120m on Sancho might be paying a quarter or less of that for the kid they want to replace him with?
Thing is, we could but chances are he won't get much playing time with us whereas with Dortmund the chance of playing time is much higher. Having moved there probably helped Sancho get his breakthrough much much sooner than had he stayed with City or come to us or another top 6 club. The kid will probably play enough Bundesliga and European games to really enhance his development while with us he'd probably just be a domestic cup player in weakened teams which is really no comparison in quality. That's pretty much where we are as a club though, which is no bad thing.

That said, I have seen rumours that we are in for him as well. I just think he'd be silly not to choose Dortmund as they just seem tailor made, either by accident or design, for a bright young talent to play week in week out in a team that is of a sufficiently high quality in and of itself to be able to also benefit from the players around him.

Zinedine Biscan

Thing is, we could but chances are he won't get much playing time with us whereas with Dortmund the chance of playing time is much higher. Having moved there probably helped Sancho get his breakthrough much much sooner than had he stayed with City or come to us or another top 6 club. The kid will probably play enough Bundesliga and European games to really enhance his development while with us he'd probably just be a domestic cup player in weakened teams which is really no comparison in quality. That's pretty much where we are as a club though, which is no bad thing.

That said, I have seen rumours that we are in for him as well. I just think he'd be silly not to choose Dortmund as they just seem tailor made, either by accident or design, for a bright young talent to play week in week out in a team that is of a sufficiently high quality in and of itself to be able to also benefit from the players around him.
I'd probably agree about being right for his development - although given that he doesn't turn 17 until June I'm not sure he'd be nailed on for immediate first-team action at Dortmund either. Also just seen that we have been linked, which is interesting.

My first thought reading this piece on him yesterday was 'he's a Klopp player':

How mature and well-balanced does he sound? At 16? If we truly will be in the mix for his signature this summer I really hope the example set by the likes of Trent and even Elliott who has received first-team appearances at the same age as Bellingham, would convince him to go for us.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
30m for a 16 year old is crazy. I doubt we’ll be getting involved. Apparently his little brother is coming through at Birmingham and he’s even better.

Herb

Edit: actually, looks like he is more of a central player, was sure that I'd read he was a winger, never mind. He does look good though. And, tbf, we are likely to be looking for a more central player as well given Milner's age, Lallana leaving and Naby's continued injury issues.
I watched him early last month against Bristol City and he was brilliant that day playing more to the left. Provided an assist and just looked a cut above everybody else on the pitch. Usually when you see players of that age you expect to see the odd rash decision or them take time to build themselves into a game but from the first minute he just looked so accomplished. I think I’ve said in here before if we signed him and loaned him to another PL team I’d be delighted, he looked more than ready to step up.

Jude Bellingham: Who is Birmingham City teenager linked with Borussia Dortmund?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51404335

This article gives a good insight into his character as well. Seems like a good kid.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Got to remember as well when looking at these German sides signing young prospects and giving them playing time that not all of them are working out. It's all well and good looking at the successes and saying "why don't we do that" but we can't afford to. Not financially but sporting wise. As an example anyone remember Emiliano Insua? Great prospect but due to circumstances (think was Aurelio being injured a lot?) Insua got played far too much. Turned a hot prospect into a weak spot that doesn't get remembered fondly by many. He could have developed and been a decent enough LB for us, maybe even starting quality one day. But that season really put a spanner in his career trajectory and tainted many memories of his time here. The pressure we as a club can put players under is immense. Latest success story was two extremely special players in Trent and Gomez sharing that pressure between them for a season.

Zinedine Biscan

Got to remember as well when looking at these German sides signing young prospects and giving them playing time that not all of them are working out. It's all well and good looking at the successes and saying "why don't we do that" but we can't afford to. Not financially but sporting wise. As an example anyone remember Emiliano Insua? Great prospect but due to circumstances (think was Aurelio being injured a lot?) Insua got played far too much. Turned a hot prospect into a weak spot that doesn't get remembered fondly by many. He could have developed and been a decent enough LB for us, maybe even starting quality one day. But that season really put a spanner in his career trajectory and tainted many memories of his time here. The pressure we as a club can put players under is immense. Latest success story was two extremely special players in Trent and Gomez sharing that pressure between them for a season.
I'll go on record as saying if we signed Bellingham there would be 0% chance of him being overplayed or overexposed whatever the circumstances. We simply would never become stretched enough in midfield for that to happen, similarly Elliott.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I'll go on record as saying if we signed Bellingham there would be 0% chance of him being overplayed or overexposed whatever the circumstances. We simply would never become stretched enough in midfield for that to happen, similarly Elliott.
Maybe didn't explain myself well enough. These German clubs are picking these wonderkids up by promising prominent roles/playing time in their senior sides. To do that they are going without senior players to fall back on. It would be like us letting Wijnaldum go and bringing in Bellingham as a direct replacement to play that role and those minutes. Some of these kids are then doing well making it look like a great idea. We don't see the ones that don't and how that impacts on the fortunes of these teams (helped a little by the fact it's a one team dominated league). Under the pressure and scrutiny here I don't think we can do that as the occasional failure would severely impact on our chances of success whilst the occasional success would have to be damn near world class to really kick on for us at this level.

Red over the water

Dortmund have been a great destination in recent years for bright young talents to shine. As the team progresses and competes at the top of the Bundesliga and has designs on the CL, the willingness to give young players so much leeway will start to shrink back. In a sense, their model might need to evolve as they become victims of their own success. But perhaps not for a little while yet.

It‘s the sort of conundrum we have been attempting to navigate for a while, though we are further along than Dortmund.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
We should definitely be in for Bellingham he's a serious talent, wouldn't be against signing him and loaning him back or to a mid prem side with guarantees to play him.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
We should definitely be in for Bellingham he's a serious talent, wouldn't be against signing him and loaning him back or to a mid prem side with guarantees to play him.
Tall, pacy, likes a tackle and seems good on the ball, would be a good option in our midfield even at his tender age, if you are good enough you are old enough!!!

Ron Swanson

I wouldn't say no to Saint Maximin, he has impressed me every time I seen him play, fast, tricky strong on the ball. Him and Minamino great options in rotating Mane and Salah. With potentially Werner as well we would have very strong options for the front three.

Zinedine Biscan

Pretty interesting - Luis Alberto could be set to move for big money this summer after having a very good season for Lazio, and our 30% sell-on clause we negotiated when selling him could bank us around £20m: