The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
30m for a 16 year old is crazy. I doubt we’ll be getting involved. Apparently his little brother is coming through at Birmingham and he’s even better.

Herb

How good is this Birmingham kid Bellingham that Dortmund are sniffing around? It feels to me like they're doing their usual thing of selling at a premium and looking to get in a cheaper replacement who turns out to be amazing in a year or two's time.

Is there an argument to be made that the wiser thing than spending £120m on Sancho might be paying a quarter or less of that for the kid they want to replace him with?

Edit: actually, looks like he is more of a central player, was sure that I'd read he was a winger, never mind. He does look good though. And, tbf, we are likely to be looking for a more central player as well given Milner's age, Lallana leaving and Naby's continued injury issues.
I watched him early last month against Bristol City and he was brilliant that day playing more to the left. Provided an assist and just looked a cut above everybody else on the pitch. Usually when you see players of that age you expect to see the odd rash decision or them take time to build themselves into a game but from the first minute he just looked so accomplished. I think I’ve said in here before if we signed him and loaned him to another PL team I’d be delighted, he looked more than ready to step up.

Jude Bellingham: Who is Birmingham City teenager linked with Borussia Dortmund?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51404335

This article gives a good insight into his character as well. Seems like a good kid.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Got to remember as well when looking at these German sides signing young prospects and giving them playing time that not all of them are working out. It's all well and good looking at the successes and saying "why don't we do that" but we can't afford to. Not financially but sporting wise. As an example anyone remember Emiliano Insua? Great prospect but due to circumstances (think was Aurelio being injured a lot?) Insua got played far too much. Turned a hot prospect into a weak spot that doesn't get remembered fondly by many. He could have developed and been a decent enough LB for us, maybe even starting quality one day. But that season really put a spanner in his career trajectory and tainted many memories of his time here. The pressure we as a club can put players under is immense. Latest success story was two extremely special players in Trent and Gomez sharing that pressure between them for a season.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Got to remember as well when looking at these German sides signing young prospects and giving them playing time that not all of them are working out. It's all well and good looking at the successes and saying "why don't we do that" but we can't afford to. Not financially but sporting wise. As an example anyone remember Emiliano Insua? Great prospect but due to circumstances (think was Aurelio being injured a lot?) Insua got played far too much. Turned a hot prospect into a weak spot that doesn't get remembered fondly by many. He could have developed and been a decent enough LB for us, maybe even starting quality one day. But that season really put a spanner in his career trajectory and tainted many memories of his time here. The pressure we as a club can put players under is immense. Latest success story was two extremely special players in Trent and Gomez sharing that pressure between them for a season.
I'll go on record as saying if we signed Bellingham there would be 0% chance of him being overplayed or overexposed whatever the circumstances. We simply would never become stretched enough in midfield for that to happen, similarly Elliott.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I'll go on record as saying if we signed Bellingham there would be 0% chance of him being overplayed or overexposed whatever the circumstances. We simply would never become stretched enough in midfield for that to happen, similarly Elliott.
Maybe didn't explain myself well enough. These German clubs are picking these wonderkids up by promising prominent roles/playing time in their senior sides. To do that they are going without senior players to fall back on. It would be like us letting Wijnaldum go and bringing in Bellingham as a direct replacement to play that role and those minutes. Some of these kids are then doing well making it look like a great idea. We don't see the ones that don't and how that impacts on the fortunes of these teams (helped a little by the fact it's a one team dominated league). Under the pressure and scrutiny here I don't think we can do that as the occasional failure would severely impact on our chances of success whilst the occasional success would have to be damn near world class to really kick on for us at this level.

Red over the water

Dortmund have been a great destination in recent years for bright young talents to shine. As the team progresses and competes at the top of the Bundesliga and has designs on the CL, the willingness to give young players so much leeway will start to shrink back. In a sense, their model might need to evolve as they become victims of their own success. But perhaps not for a little while yet.

It‘s the sort of conundrum we have been attempting to navigate for a while, though we are further along than Dortmund.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
We should definitely be in for Bellingham he's a serious talent, wouldn't be against signing him and loaning him back or to a mid prem side with guarantees to play him.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
We should definitely be in for Bellingham he's a serious talent, wouldn't be against signing him and loaning him back or to a mid prem side with guarantees to play him.
Tall, pacy, likes a tackle and seems good on the ball, would be a good option in our midfield even at his tender age, if you are good enough you are old enough!!!

Ron Swanson

I wouldn't say no to Saint Maximin, he has impressed me every time I seen him play, fast, tricky strong on the ball. Him and Minamino great options in rotating Mane and Salah. With potentially Werner as well we would have very strong options for the front three.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Pretty interesting - Luis Alberto could be set to move for big money this summer after having a very good season for Lazio, and our 30% sell-on clause we negotiated when selling him could bank us around £20m:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Pretty interesting - Luis Alberto could be set to move for big money this summer after having a very good season for Lazio, and our 30% sell-on clause we negotiated when selling him could bank us around £20m:

He's not a "football person" though...

Edwards getting lucky again.

Magnus

He's not a "football person" though...

Edwards getting lucky again.
Yeah, everything I have read has lead me to believe that he is a very good person for this job, football person or not.
Far from the only job he does, but I have always been impressed with the fees he is getting us for these tertiary players. For instance, 19 min for Solanke and 15 for Jordan Ibe, is a lot.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Yeah, everything I have read has lead me to believe that he is a very good person for this job, football person or not.
Football person really is a pretty meaningless term though, particularly as a criticism of Edwards who certainly has the relevant background for his role.

He got a lot of stick from quite a lot of uninformed posters back in the day.

Notasuperfan

Wow, I think Michael Edwards is due for a few months worth of Bonuses again. This man has some astounding negotiation skills.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin

He's quality for Lazio, I watched a couple of their recent games just to see what the fuss is about... It's literally been twenty years since last time they played this well. Alberto moves at snail's pace at times but what he does with the ball is as Italian as it can be, he doesn't seem to play a wrong pass and a lot of them create rather good chances. I'm really happy that guys like him and Aspas found their feet after failing at Liverpool - and if I was him, I'd stick around at Lazio for a while. I highly doubt they'll get 60-70 million pounds for him, though, aside from not seeing who'd pay it, I fail to see another club where he'd thrive given his approach to football. Still, credit to both Edwards and Lazio for striking a deal that worked for literally everyone.

blaze

Faith.

He's been having many good seasons for Lazio. He was arguably their best player the first half of this season.

I think the fact that players like him and Aspas that have found genuine success elsewhere is a credit to our scouting team. Even those dont succeed here aren't bad players, they just couldnt fit in.

Red over the water

Football men used to have sheepskin coats. Been replaced by laptops.

Edwards is, of course, a top football man. He has a great team of nerds too. Number crunchers, data driven, fantastically complicated models to distill it, and simplify it down to yes/no. Is there value there to us? Also, is there value there that others aren’t quite seeing to the same degree?

They are doing a fantastic job and long may it continue. I wouldn’t have a clue how much Edwards and the people in his team are paid, but I’m sure the club recognizes their value.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin

nikz200

I wonder if the whole Mane to Madrid rumours have any truth to them? No doubt Zidane and the madrid machine will be sniffing around him, question then is how much will it take to get his attention and how much is our threshold to keep madrid away?

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Realistically they could double his wages, imagine hes on 150k + per week

So maybe they offer 300k a week and offer us 200 mil transfer fee.

I dont see him leaving. He seems happy, he’s playing at such a high level on a team winning the biggeat trophies in club football which he has been a significant contributor to and he’s seen PC get his dream move to Spain only to see it blow up so why move and risk all that.

Think they will be after Mbappe