The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Pretty interesting - Luis Alberto could be set to move for big money this summer after having a very good season for Lazio, and our 30% sell-on clause we negotiated when selling him could bank us around £20m:

He's not a "football person" though...

Edwards getting lucky again.

Magnus

He's not a "football person" though...

Edwards getting lucky again.
Yeah, everything I have read has lead me to believe that he is a very good person for this job, football person or not.
Far from the only job he does, but I have always been impressed with the fees he is getting us for these tertiary players. For instance, 19 min for Solanke and 15 for Jordan Ibe, is a lot.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Yeah, everything I have read has lead me to believe that he is a very good person for this job, football person or not.
Football person really is a pretty meaningless term though, particularly as a criticism of Edwards who certainly has the relevant background for his role.

He got a lot of stick from quite a lot of uninformed posters back in the day.

Notasuperfan

Pretty interesting - Luis Alberto could be set to move for big money this summer after having a very good season for Lazio, and our 30% sell-on clause we negotiated when selling him could bank us around £20m:

Wow, I think Michael Edwards is due for a few months worth of Bonuses again. This man has some astounding negotiation skills.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin

He's quality for Lazio, I watched a couple of their recent games just to see what the fuss is about... It's literally been twenty years since last time they played this well. Alberto moves at snail's pace at times but what he does with the ball is as Italian as it can be, he doesn't seem to play a wrong pass and a lot of them create rather good chances. I'm really happy that guys like him and Aspas found their feet after failing at Liverpool - and if I was him, I'd stick around at Lazio for a while. I highly doubt they'll get 60-70 million pounds for him, though, aside from not seeing who'd pay it, I fail to see another club where he'd thrive given his approach to football. Still, credit to both Edwards and Lazio for striking a deal that worked for literally everyone.

blaze

Faith.

He's been having many good seasons for Lazio. He was arguably their best player the first half of this season.

I think the fact that players like him and Aspas that have found genuine success elsewhere is a credit to our scouting team. Even those dont succeed here aren't bad players, they just couldnt fit in.

Red over the water

Football men used to have sheepskin coats. Been replaced by laptops.

Edwards is, of course, a top football man. He has a great team of nerds too. Number crunchers, data driven, fantastically complicated models to distill it, and simplify it down to yes/no. Is there value there to us? Also, is there value there that others aren’t quite seeing to the same degree?

They are doing a fantastic job and long may it continue. I wouldn’t have a clue how much Edwards and the people in his team are paid, but I’m sure the club recognizes their value.

Nikola

Admin

nikz200

I wonder if the whole Mane to Madrid rumours have any truth to them? No doubt Zidane and the madrid machine will be sniffing around him, question then is how much will it take to get his attention and how much is our threshold to keep madrid away?

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Realistically they could double his wages, imagine hes on 150k + per week

So maybe they offer 300k a week and offer us 200 mil transfer fee.

I dont see him leaving. He seems happy, he’s playing at such a high level on a team winning the biggeat trophies in club football which he has been a significant contributor to and he’s seen PC get his dream move to Spain only to see it blow up so why move and risk all that.

Think they will be after Mbappe

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Realistically they could double his wages, imagine hes on 150k + per week

So maybe they offer 300k a week and offer us 200 mil transfer fee.

I dont see him leaving. He seems happy, he’s playing at such a high level on a team winning the biggeat trophies in club football which he has been a significant contributor to and he’s seen PC get his dream move to Spain only to see it blow up so why move and risk all that.

Think they will be after Mbappe
I think its fair to think Mane/Salah are within a top 5 of any top 10 team looking for a wide forward. Possibly only Real and PSG who could afford either though. I doubt either would go to PSG and as you say Madrid want Mbappe.

Red over the water

In our match threads Mane usually seems to score a bit lower in the MOTM stakes, on the whole, whereas to my eye he looks so threatening and I usually have him high up the list. He is so fast over the crucial first 5-10 yards, much faster than anyone else, and he tracks back and wins the ball back so effectively, still high up the pitch. Goals, dribbling, assists. The other day Rio Ferdinand said Mane was the one Liverpool player he would not have liked to have played against.

All that is to say, do one Real Madrid!

Nikola

Admin
Funnily enough, the only players I wouldn't have problems with Liverpool selling them are the ones who are about to be sold anyway (Lovren, Grujić, Wilson and Shaqiri, as well as majority of those "lesser" names who are out on loan). After them, Matip and Origi look like the ones who could go, maybe next year. That said, we'll see what happens with this virus outbreak, hopefully it will be taken care of and it won't have any serious consequences on the world. If the season is moved back or whatever, transfer window will probably be moved as well.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Funnily enough, the only players I wouldn't have problems with Liverpool selling them are the ones who are about to be sold anyway (Lovren, Grujić, Wilson and Shaqiri, as well as majority of those "lesser" names who are out on loan). After them, Matip and Origi look like the ones who could go, maybe next year.
Think we will keep only Matip out of all the names you mentioned. His best is definitely good enough, he only lost his starting spot due to injury, in the same way Joe did before him too. He is at least good enough to be our 3rd or 4th choice option.

All the rest I think will go, Wilson and Grujic will easily move to a decent team, Lovren will go to Italy and Shaqiri might follow him. They both need a league that operates at a slower pace. Not sure where Origi goes he may stay in the EPL but would expect all of them to move on and the squad get reasonable freshen up this summer.

Limiescouse

Anyhoo...just addressing the Sporting Lisbon situation since our friend mentioned that Man City had offered a contract to Rafael Leao, that's not actually true. It seems that they, like the majority of clubs, are preferring to take the cautious approach...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...r-news/man-city-transfer-rafael-leao-14825735

I'm not surprised that clubs appear to be waiting for the status of the players to be confirmed by someone other than their agent(s).

Also, Carvalho, the club president, has been forced to step down https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44595328

[Found the below which is of interest, not sure how reliable it is]

http://sportwitness.co.uk/wolves-portuguese-club-now-expected-get-work-deal/
Court in Portugal ruled that Leao owes Sporting 16.5 million Euros