• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Just my feeling/opinion.

Good player but I can not see him make a move to a big big club yet.

Will probably end up in Leipzig or Dortmund first.
Seems very similar to what Mane was at Southampton at the point we bought him. Or is that a bad take on it do you think?

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Why does our name get dropped with every upcoming talent in Europe?

I think is because our recruitment is absolutely brilliant these days. We don’t sign duds, we add huge value to players, and we spot gems more than any other club.

So it’s highly convenient for agents and owners that we’re sniffing round one of their lads. It suggests they are a proper player and are going to be a star.

I reckon 80-90% of rumours with our name on fall into this category.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Seems very similar to what Mane was at Southampton at the point we bought him. Or is that a bad take on it do you think?
Mané scored against us while at Southampton - that’s the difference :D

But seriously, I believe Sadio played some CL qualifiers and Europa League for Salzburg - didn’t he also play Europa League with Southampton?

At least Mané was PL proven.

For someone like Rashica it’s 'easy' to shine at Bremen who are fighting against relegation this year.

Red over the water

If Rashica is intended to be the replacement for Werner, maybe we are letting our interest in Rashica be known, so Leipzig reduce the Werner price to a Coronavirus-suitable level?

GermanRed

If Rashica is intended to be the replacement for Werner, maybe we are letting our interest in Rashica be known, so Leipzig reduce the Werner price to a Coronavirus-suitable level?
Leipzig don't have to and don't want to sell Werner and Werner would have no problem to stay there for another year. It’s not like the player is pushing for a move.

There is a clause and I don't think it is negotiable.

Btw, isn’t under €60m for a player like Timo Werner already ‚Coronavirus-suitable'?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Leipzig don't have to and don't want to sell Werner and Werner would have no problem to stay there for another year. It’s not like the player is pushing for a move.

Btw, isn’t under €60m for a player like Timo Werner already ‚Coronavirus-suitable'?
We have no idea what Coronavirus suitable will be yet and no possibility of accurately predicting it. It will be set by how desperate for money clubs are when whatever transfer window opens.

CymruRed

Ad-free Member
We have no idea what Coronavirus suitable will be yet and no possibility of accurately predicting it. It will be set by how desperate for money clubs are when whatever transfer window opens.
I have a feeling,clubs with super rich owners like Man city,PSG's or clubs with money in the bank like United,they will set the bar for the next couple of transfer windows or untill everything settles back to some normality,when stadiums can start making clubs money again,i reckon £50mill on a player in the next transfer window,will be the equivolent of £100mill+ spent over the previous seasons.

Most club incomes will be spent covering player wages and other club expenditures,just to keep their heads above water,i doubt many will have spare cash to buy players in the high millions for awhile.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
@CymruRed and @boston red I'm not sure. Those clubs will have money but can't buy every player and not every player will want to move to those clubs regardless of money. Not every player is willing to go to where the best wages are paid regardless of sporting merit and sporting ambition. Plus those clubs might have money but why spend more than they have to? City still pay reasonable prices they just pay a lot of them, as they like to point out we have spent more on individual players.

GermanRed

Neymar, Coutinho, Dembele, Hazard, Pogba, (Griezman) and Bale. Most of the very expensive transfers were disappointing for the buyers and I believe the transfer market already slowed down a bit pre Corona. Don’t think we will see more than one +£100m transfer each year for the next few years.

This summer it would have been Sancho (for around £115m) but it won’t happen now because of Corona.

Scum already admitted they won’t be able to buy him for that price this year. No way Dortmund will lower their price now significantly.

Prices might drop because of the virus but can’t see it being more than 10-15%.

We still might be able to sell Origi for £25m, Shaqiri and Wilson for +£21m each.

Think there won’t be Transfers for more than £75m this summer.

Last edited:

Red over the water

Its not my money, but based on age and prolific output, and suitability for our team - goes straight in ahead of Origi, but puts pressure on front three immediately, and at the least rotates to keep them all fresh and on form - then Werner is a €100M player in a pre-Coronavirus situation, contract situation or release clause notwithstanding.

Not my money but €60M seems like good business.

However, if Edwards can negotiate something even lower, it would just add to his legend!

GermanRed

Its not my money, but based on age and prolific output, and suitability for our team - goes straight in ahead of Origi, but puts pressure on front three immediately, and at the least rotates to keep them all fresh and on form - then Werner is a €100M player in a pre-Coronavirus situation, contract situation or release clause notwithstanding.

Not my money but €60M seems like good business.

However, if Edwards can negotiate something even lower, it would just add to his legend!
Maybe not a €100m player but definitely +€75m Minimum.

How much would have Zaha cost us? Or Nicolas Pepe? Or Thomas Lemar? :LOL:

Red over the water

Exactly. Prices were out of control in a post Neymar to PSG world. Werner is very good indeed - not Mbappe, or Sancho level good, but the next tier down from that. Anyhow, €60M is good business... apart from the uncertainty on the whole system in our new reality. I’m sure we have the money, as we have been saving... but we might choose to wait, or try to negotiate the price down a bit more.

If a deal isn’t struck we are still sitting pretty, and if Werner knows we want him, and he wants us, Leipzig’s position is not strengthened. I’m gonna stick my neck out and say he comes to us for €50M this summer.

Zoran

Read something that Pedro Chirivella might be on his way to Nantes on a free this summer.

We'll see if there's something in it, but I'd be glad if he secures a decent move this summer, he deserves it after the bad luck he's gone through last year, missing 6 months of football. Did well this season when he was needed.

He'll be 23 soon, time for him to start playing proper senior football (be it at Nantes or somewhere else, but he needs to start playing). Could be a decent little player for a football playing side. And he seems like a good kid, too.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Supposedly the deal will be concluded by the start of next week. It sez 'ere ...
https://www.football365.com/news/pedro-chirivella-liverpool-jurgen-klopp-nantes

There's another piece in the BBC rumours page li nking us to some 17 year old Brazilian forward. Ivery much doubt it. How would he get a work permit?
Liverpool are prepared to make a move for 17-year-old Brazilian forward Talles Magno, who plays for Rio de Janeiro side Vasco de Gama. (Star)

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
My take on the upcoming window is that most teams will have to sell to buy or sell to cover costs it will only be prob Newcastle splashing cash around as they will want to quickly establish themselves and can take advantage of a few clubs with money problems needing to offload some assets.

Possibly United and PSG and City may fall into that same catergory but they are all buying from much stronger position than Newcastle and the players they will want will all be too expensive given the uncertainty in the game at the moment. Unless you are Newcastle with money to burn its far to risky to spend massive money on fees at the moment.

Think we will only buy if we can sell so maybe if we can raise some money selling players like Origi, Lovren and Shaq and a few other fringe players and loanees then maybe we look at Werner but I’d think sales will have to cover most if not all of his fee for it to happen.

From there is will be player like Jones, Elliot, Hoever and possibly even Grujic and Wilson who will cover departures to ensure any funds raised can go toward signing Werner or just padding the accounts to make up for lost revenues.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
My take on the upcoming window is that most teams will have to sell to buy or sell to cover costs it will only be prob Newcastle splashing cash around as they will want to quickly establish themselves and can take advantage of a few clubs with money problems needing to offload some assets.

Possibly United and PSG and City may fall into that same catergory but they are all buying from much stronger position than Newcastle and the players they will want will all be too expensive given the uncertainty in the game at the moment. Unless you are Newcastle with money to burn its far to risky to spend massive money on fees at the moment.
I think you are broadly right with your thinking. However, i wonder just how much City & PSG are going to be able to pay with the collapse in oil prices. Saudi Arabia this morning announced a trippliing of VAT and cuts to workers allowances because of it. From what i remember the funds that essentially paid for City (or who its owners draw funds from?) dried up during the last financial crisis - could the same happen this time round too?

Limiescouse

I think you are broadly right with your thinking. However, i wonder just how much City & PSG are going to be able to pay with the collapse in oil prices. Saudi Arabia this morning announced a trippliing of VAT and cuts to workers allowances because of it. From what i remember the funds that essentially paid for City (or who its owners draw funds from?) dried up during the last financial crisis - could the same happen this time round too?
Furthermore, clubs have got no idea what their revenue is going to do over the next 2 years. So I dont know how anyone goes about executing anything other than a really conservative recruitment strategy the next time the window opens without clear guidance on whether FFP will be adjusted to accommodate the current situation.

Red over the water

If FFP is relaxed to get through the current situation, I think that will be a bad move! It will achieve the opposite of what it was intended to do. Clubs have to live according to their means. For some of the lower clubs they may still be vulnerable, but they will take comfort knowing that even the big boys are having to tighten their belts to make it through.

If FFP is relaxed it will give a massive advantage to sovereign wealth owned clubs, who are able to inject untold sums as a sports washing enterprise to legitimize themselves. Man City will forge ahead and build a squad for tomorrow's challenges, while at present I would take our squad over theirs. Newcastle will leapfrog to the top table if they can spend without restriction, and while the very best talent probably still won't go there yet, there will be plenty of very good players who will, and under the right manager, like a Pochettino, they can build a competitive team before next season begins.

I know I'm preaching to the choir on here, but FFP has to hold! If not, it's only a matter of time before our owners sell up, as you won't be able to compete if unlimited injections of external cash are allowed.

Hopefully the line holds and Man City's ban is upheld, and it would be even better if the Prem and the FA meted out their own punishments too. Presumably they have been waiting to see what happens with UEFA first.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

I get you. In many ways it is more important than ever for FFP to remain otherwise it opens up the door to independently wealthy clubs to take advantage of the situation. However, without being able to describe the specifics, I can just foresee a reason why some short term adjustment will need to be made given how different everything is now. Even if it just an addition of 1 year to the reporting period to allow for more flexibility to take a short term loss given some clubs may already be committed to expenses they are now not going to be able to cover.

nikz200

I’m not sure agree with that. In my opinion the best thing Liverpool can do now is to stay it’s hand. The virus has revealed what a tightrope clubs operate on, and LFC is no different.

The suggestion is that 20/21 is going to be behind closed doors, if played at all. That’s 100m in gate receipts and match day spending.

The last thing the club need is to have a 100m + summer, commit itself to a whole new bunch of contracts, and then find we’re in this position again. We could be looking at serious financial difficulties.

I’d be very worried if Liverpool had a big transfer window. The sensible thing to do is move a couple of lads out (Lovren and Lallana), promote cover from within, and go again with largely the same squad.

I think your premise is sound and sensible. But i question our ability to compete next season on multiple fronts with that approach. Promoting from within i think only works for players like Curtis Jones who we all have a pretty good feeling when it comes to supplementing the first team. But there are no other players that i can see that can step into that first team even bench presence regularly, especially up front where it is the most needed. LoVren, Lallana and Shaqiri are all slated to go whenever the next window is up and you can already guess other teams will spend,its just how the Premier League works. United, City and Arsenal are all under immense pressure to spend and don't forget Leicester and maybe Newcastle (nw owners) will feature big in spending to bolster their team with the money they have.

Im not saying we need to spend big in the window, but the team needs reinforcements and we are in a position to get the best players given our current setup. What we don't need or want is for Salah or Mane to go down next season and us losing our offensive edge because of it. Given the sheer volume of games we played this season its a miracle our youth teams managed hold up in the cup competitions as well as they did. Even then as we can see we fell short in all the cup competitions before the semi final stages,and struggled in a few games. Even in the league, a huge majority of the games we didn't win them comfortably because teams were dealing into us. United managed to get a draw off us at old trafford using a counter style that works well against that high line we are adopting right now. Im also not convinced players like Ox and Naby can stay off the injured list. OrigI also has lost a lot of sharpness and it can be attributed to many reasons but our forward line is razor thin. Minamino is a good player but i debate if he can play in the front in the prem. I do think long term his position is in a deeper role, again we will have to see. I have no faith in Harry wilson, Grujic or Brewster to make a feature in the first team and i think Jurgen has no faith Grujic or Wilson either. They are set to be sold probably. Im curious to know who you think can make that jump into the first team in the EPL games and europe, not the cup games. For me only Curtis Jones would be the one to make that jump into featuring for premier league first team contention.

I will go back to this, there is a time and place to save money. And if the club had felt this whole situation was detrimental to them spending in the transfer window then i would again like i have before maintain my stance that the right move to do was to apply for whatever govt scheme possible to fund the various facets of the club. Now there is a ingrain excuse for one more window in a row to not bolster this squad and that is something that is not good when it comes to competing. Again , I'm just muttering and moaning right now and maybe everything will work out. But i can't help but think of all the times we had rested on our laurels only to have it come back and kick us in the ass. By the time next season comes around , every team in the league would know our players and know the countermeasures against them. Why? Cause we have the same playing squad for 2 seasons in a row practically and thats a recipe for complacency. We didn't win the title last year, we are in limbo about the title being ours this year, and next year these teams will be strong, if not as strong as us. I would say go buy the two players we are linked with, even if its just Werner, it could help the team. Cause frankly , maybe most people don't agree , i don't want us to just win the league. I want us to win a treble or double to confirm historically just how good our team is. Cause people still think UTDs bloody treble winning team is better -.-

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
I question our ability to compete next season on multiple fronts with that approach.
Nobody knows what shape next season is going to take. Heck, nobody knows what shape the rest of this season is going to take at this moment in time.

When will 20/21 start? How many league games will there be? Will domestic cups be dropped for a year? What format will European competition take?

Until the answers to these questions, and others relating to income streams, are known, it is prudent not to splash the cash.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I think your premise is sound and sensible. But i question our ability to compete next season on multiple fronts with that approach.
Football is faced with an existential crisis of how the hell to continue alongside a virus that might take years to run its course.

That is fundamentally bigger than Liverpool FC, and certainly bigger than fan desires to win a treble because Man Utd.

Liverpool have spent years under FSG cultivating a sensible and intelligent approach to the market. They don’t panic. They don’t take unnecessary risks. And that has brought us huge success.

So the very last thing we should do is to buy players at a time when nobody has a clue what the future holds and whether the next couple seasons can even run to completion. Income is already going to be £100m diwn as we certainly will be behind closed doors next year at a minimum. The TV income is perilous at best.

In the best case scenario the market is going to have to adjust to this new reality, so heading into the market before things have settled is also risky - we could end up paying three or four times over the odds which is hardly sensible either.

@DanLFC correctly says that all clubs will be constrained in their spending, but goes on to say we should sell Origi, Lovren, Shaqiri, Grujic, Wilson etc - OK, but to who? If clubs aren't buying, they aren’t buying. We can fund our own spending spree by selling assets if nobody is in a position to buy those assets.

So you asked who is ready to step up? Curtis Jones can replace Lallana. Nico Williams is ready to back up Trent. Elliot should start getting time this year. Lovren can leave (with the managers boot on his arse if it was up to me) and can be replaced by Fabinho dropping back, and Hoever and van den Berg stepping up.

Aside from that I’d keep the rest, largely because I think we have to, and go again. It all good and well to want the club to win trebles and do enough to be regarded as the greatest football team the world has ever seen, but we have a big job on to get football back first. Unprecedented glory is not the pressing concern right now.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
As tenuous as it gets but if the price is right I'd be interested in a deal for Dembele like Bayern had with Coutinho, loan with option to buy at this price the following summer. There is very little wrong with him on the pitch, its possible attitude and fitness issues. If Klopp could get his head right and the medical team keep him firing he could reclaim his lost potential which is that of a top ten forward. It seems better than either going without reinforcement up top or signing a mega money deal in a disturbed environment. If it doesn't work out we back out of buying him. If it works out but the market is cheaper so the price no longer looks value for money we pull an Italian job and offer a new deal.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
As tenuous as it gets but if the price is right I'd be interested in a deal for Dembele like Bayern had with Coutinho, loan with option to buy at this price the following summer. There is very little wrong with him on the pitch, its possible attitude and fitness issues. If Klopp could get his head right and the medical team keep him firing he could reclaim his lost potential which is that of a top ten forward. It seems better than either going without reinforcement up top or signing a mega money deal in a disturbed environment. If it doesn't work out we back out of buying him. If it works out but the market is cheaper so the price no longer looks value for money we pull an Italian job and offer a new deal.

Even at £50m, it would be a hell of a gamble. I’m not sure that the club would be keen to take him on.

There is undoubtedly a quality player there, but I remember we all said that about Balotelli.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Even at £50m, it would be a hell of a gamble. I’m not sure that the club would be keen to take him on.

There is undoubtedly a quality player there, but I remember we all said that about Balotelli.
Thats why a loan for a year with an option to buy at that amount could work. If he doesn't work out we just do what Italian clubs do and Bayern are going to over Coutinho and don't take up the option. Same if, in a years time, £50m actually is the kind of price you can get the best in the world for. But (depending on your point of view on him) the potential of the player could make the whole deal a massive steal. Lot of coulds and ifs but I think its risk free as we probably won't do anything else this summer so he'd be added to whatever we are going with anyway, we wouldn't be going without something for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.