The Unreliable Rumours Thread

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Seen an article about Zaniolo to Liverpool and it said he was on a list of Liverpool targets but not a top target.
Roma also have to sell player a due to the €270+ million of debt they are in.

Another name I had not heard before. It seems that anyone who kick a ball gets linked with LFC. I doubt there will be much action from us but clubs like MU will be signing a lot of players . I still think we will sign Werner and if we do not, the biggest obstacle to us winning the league again next season is the AFCON.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Another name I had not heard before. It seems that anyone who kick a ball gets linked with LFC. I doubt there will be much action from us but clubs like MU will be signing a lot of players . I still think we will sign Werner and if we do not, the biggest obstacle to us winning the league again next season is the AFCON.
99% of it agents trying to drum up interest. We get used because we’re really good at recruitment. Suggesting we are interested in a player suggests that player has something about him.

Limiescouse

To be fair, he is exactly who we would expect to be interested in. He is 20 and already very settled in Serie A and is probably the highest rated attacking prospect Italy have produced since Giovinco.

nikz200

From the BBC:
Liverpool midfielder Pedro Chirivella, 22, has been offered a five-year deal but is yet to decide on his future, having received interest from Nantes and Rangers. (Goal)

Liverpool are considering a summer move for Roma forward Nicolo Zaniolo, 20, who is also a target for Manchester United and Tottenham. (Corriere dello Sport - via Sports Mole)

Meanwhile, it is claimed Liverpool had already made steps on a potential move for Zaniolo before the coronavirus pandemic halted football. (Il Tempo - in Italian)
Im hoping Pedro gets his move to the Rangers or Nantes, both are good teams and he deserves a chance to do well and boost his professional career further.

When i look at ZaniOLO play i see a lot of offensive potential something like what Lallana brought as a skill set to the club, but i can't help but feel its his compatriot Sandro Tonali we should be considering in actual fact given how the team is currently set up to play. Btw its splitting hairs here, and if we are looking at ZanioLo i can totally understand why we would be, kid is talented for sure, but i have to wonder if the price this time around might be too high given Romas past experiences with us. That and also i feel Tonali is that premium next up player, his passing, tackling and his set piece taking all make him a very sought after target, even with Juventus and Inter breathing down Brescias back recently. Probably cheaper than ZaniOlo as well , we would probably have a player comparable to Xabi Alonso and pirlo (potential) in our midfield. Kid is only 19 too so plenty of things Klopp can install into him. Other than these two I would rather us look at bringing Houssem Aouar to the club. He is 22 so he is older than the italian prospects, but he is already on his way to becoming a all rounded world level playmaker if he keeps up his production and improves. If he leaves Lyon and joins Juventus, Man city or us who he is linked to. HIs career could take off and he could immediately become a France international team regular in the coming years. I feel Aouar is the kind of talent that could be the next David silva.

All this of course is dependant on if we are even going to spend.....

MarcusBerglund

Richard88

Sounds like Shaqiri and Lallana are going to be allowed to leave, making the squad without additions as follows:

---------------------- Alisson -------------------------
---------------------- Adrian --------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
Trent ------ Gomez ------- Van Dijk ---- Robertson
Neco ------ Matip --------- Lovren ------------------
Hoever --- Vd Berg ----------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
--------------------- Fabinho -------------------------
-------------------- Henderson -----------------------
----------- Wijnaldum ---------- Keita ---------------
------------ Milner --------------- Ox -----------------
---------------------------------- Jones ---------------
Salah -------------- Firmino ------------------- Mané
Elliott ------------- Minamino ------------------ Origi
--------------------- Brewster -------------------------

That looks solid enough, but a couple of new faces would really freshen up the squad a bit heading into next season.

1. Versatile forward (eg. Origi out --> Werner in)
2. Backup LB (eg. a left-sided version of Neco/Hoever)
3. CM/AM (i.e. a long-term Wijnaldum replacement, eg. Aouar)

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
The more I think about it the less I think we will see any new faces in the next window.

We have a squad that is currently 25 points clear of second place and soon to be crowned champions and bar LB where Milner can deputize to pretty reasonable level we look pretty solid. Any purchase is essentially a luxury from the position we currently find ourselves in at the moment and will block the opportunities for players like Jones or Elliott.

Maybe a loan move or if the right player was available on a free transfer then perhaps but I can't see us actually going into our pocket for big fees on big players. Again perhaps if we generated enough from sales to fund a purchase but I doubt many clubs will be shopping at the price point we would want to be selling at and TBH if I was a player I'd want to stay where I was at the moment. Nobody really knows whats around the corner even if things are moving in the right direction now theres no guarantee's we will be doing the same in 6 months time and moving to a club with less stable financials than us is risky move.

I'm happy to reload with what we have now for the title defence.

nikz200

The more I think about it the less I think we will see any new faces in the next window.

We have a squad that is currently 25 points clear of second place and soon to be crowned champions and bar LB where Milner can deputize to pretty reasonable level we look pretty solid. Any purchase is essentially a luxury from the position we currently find ourselves in at the moment and will block the opportunities for players like Jones or Elliott.

Maybe a loan move or if the right player was available on a free transfer then perhaps but I can't see us actually going into our pocket for big fees on big players. Again perhaps if we generated enough from sales to fund a purchase but I doubt many clubs will be shopping at the price point we would want to be selling at and TBH if I was a player I'd want to stay where I was at the moment. Nobody really knows whats around the corner even if things are moving in the right direction now theres no guarantee's we will be doing the same in 6 months time and moving to a club with less stable financials than us is risky move.

I'm happy to reload with what we have now for the title defence.

Jones i understand, but Elliott is not ready, he is too raw and still too young, I highly doubt Klopp will let him feature in europe or in the prem.

I look at the squad depth and realistically we will lose Shaqiri, Lallana, Origi and Lovren. We are also probably set to sell Grujic and Wilson. If you sell all these players and do not at least bring a player or two in it will hurt the squad in a overall sense. Probably this is why we are being linked to Centre backs and Werner. Cause those two positions are vital for us. We didn't spend last summer either and spent a measly 7 mil for Minamino.

We certainly don't have to break bank cause Jones i think is ready to step in. But i do think a smart free transfer for a CB position and just bringing in one viable starting attacking option whether that be Werner or someone else, is very doable. Again the club may disagree with me and decide not to spend at all, which is a careful and safe move/ gamble. Its just that i don't agree with that line of thinking. I understand it and its not the end of the world,i just don't agree with it personally thats all.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
I agree with Lallana and Shaq, Lallana is gone more or less and if a reasonable offer comes in for Shaq he will go for sure. He is always injured anyway so he barely plays as it is.

I don't think Origi and Lovren are locks to move though, again maybe for the right offer but I doubt many clubs are going to spend the 25-30 we will want for Origi. Lovren for 8-10 maybe but again I don't know how many clubs will be really willing to spend that kind of money.

I can see a lot of kids getting promoted to first team action next season to cover gaps.

I think the club have shown they are pretty safe operators, with the massive reduction in revenue the club is having the fact that we have been frugal the last couple of seasons helps us alot there, but until there is a firm commitment for fans coming back to games I doubt we will be spending much. It's just too risky. I agree the need is there and in a normal scenario I think we frshen the squad and Werner comes in for sure. Now I just don't know what to expect from the next 6-12 months and nor does the club. It's the same for everyone too so nobody is going to be stealing a march on anyone else because I think every club will be playing it safe for the next 12 months.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
We don't really need to replace Shaqiri, Jones will take his squad position, afterall what's he actually done this season?
Same with Lallana and Elliott (who has already played in the Premier League so is ready for some minutes here and there). Even if Origi left he would only need replacing if the domestic cups or Afcon go ahead. Brewster could cope otherwise. If the attack looks like it may be stretched we've always got Wilson who could get given a chance too.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Shaqiri, WIlson and Karius out - should be more than Timo Werner would cost.

Like every summer a few Youngsters could be sold - any ideas who that could be?

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Shaqiri, WIlson and Karius out - should be more than Timo Werner would cost.

Like every summer a few Youngsters could be sold - any ideas who that could be?
I think the reality is that all clubs have had no income for such a long time, no-one is going to be spending. So £50m for Wilson, Shaqiri and Karius? I can’t see it.

GermanRed

I think the reality is that all clubs have had no income for such a long time, no-one is going to be spending. So £50m for Wilson, Shaqiri and Karius? I can’t see it.
No income for 3 months after what - minimum 15 years - of eaning huge TV money, prize money, tickets, merch. I'm not entirely buying this. Let them play for 2 weeks and the feeling around this topic will change.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
No income for 3 months after what - minimum 15 years - of eaning huge TV money, prize money, tickets, merch. I'm not entirely buying this. Let them play for 2 weeks and the feeling around this topic will change.
I think you aren’t accounting for the fact that clubs operate on quite a tightrope. Three months without earnings is significant.

On top of that Sky are seeking £350m back from clubs for playing behind closed doors, and a closed doors season next year is going to impose further sanctions, as well as rob the clubs of gate receipts (approx 100m for Liverpool).

This is not a three month inconvenience.

Sweeting

I think you aren’t accounting for the fact that clubs operate on quite a tightrope. Three months without earnings is significant.

On top of that Sky are seeking £350m back from clubs for playing behind closed doors, and a closed doors season next year is going to impose further sanctions, as well as rob the clubs of gate receipts (approx 100m for Liverpool).

Luckily for us we are one of the club's set up to deal with that situation with a good batch of youth players to take squad roles.

Teams like Bournemouth are fucked though, they didn't have enough players to start with and their youth side is garbage (evidenced by their best youth player, Jack Simpson, being completely out his depth at PL).

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Malang Sarr would be a smart signing this summer if Lovren leaves. Not had the best season but has all the attributes we like in cb's is very fast and athletic and has played left back too, although I do think we need a natural left back cover as it's such an important role in this team now.
Sarr is out of contract and only 21 also.

GermanRed

I get that and of Course it will affect the Transfer market but there will still be movement. Players retire and get injured, contracts end, loan deals end, Clubs qualify for Europe and Clubs promote.

As for playing behind closed doors - there is already some talks that a percentage of fans could return at the start of the new Bundesliga Season. Oliver Kahn said that they are working on a safety Concept. In case of the Allianz Arena it would allow up to 11.000 fans per game.

GermanRed

Hertha Berlin have a new Investor who is willing to spend. If they are really interested in Karius i can see them paying up to £8m.

Newcastle with or withour oil Money and even with Corona effecting the Transfer market i can see them paying around £20m for Shaqiri.

Clubs like Wolves, Southampton... might still be able to pay +£21m for Harry Wilson.

Other Players who could be sold
Awoniyi, Ojo, Ejaria, Arroyo.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I get that and of Course it will affect the Transfer market but there will still be movement. Players retire and get injured, contracts end, loan deals end, Clubs qualify for Europe and Clubs promote.

As for playing behind closed doors - there is already some talks that a percentage of fans could return at the start of the new Bundesliga Season. Oliver Kahn said that they are working on a safety Concept. In case of the Allianz Arena it would allow up to 11.000 fans per game.
Thats still going to put significant downward pressure on player prices, especially if they come with a hefty wage expectation. We've been fortunate in recent years to get good deals from Bournemouth for example, i dont see them splashing cash on our players now.

I wouldnt be surprised if we see clubs cutting squad sizes for next season.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I wonder if we'll see more swap moves happening, not just loan moves. Personally, I wouldn't mind Wilson being swapped for Saka, for example, Grujić and Shaqiri are also attractive players to a lot of clubs. Italian clubs would have a field day with this, haha!

The Hermit

Here is my perspective: if we sell multiple players at post-COVID prices and do not take advantage by buying at post-COVID prices, that is a mistake. It's like selling in a buyer's market and then waiting to buy in a seller's market. I can't see that happening. We either keep pretty much everyone we have and don't buy (or buy very little) or sell a few players to fund a target (Werner or other) at today's deflated prices. It would make no economic sense to sell players now and buy later when the market has recovered, unless that have-to-have player is only available now, which is of course possible.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Here is my perspective: if we sell multiple players at post-COVID prices and do not take advantage by buying at post-COVID prices, that is a mistake. It's like selling in a buyer's market and then waiting to buy in a seller's market. I can't see that happening. We either keep pretty much everyone we have and don't buy (or buy very little) or sell a few players to fund a target (Werner or other) at today's deflated prices. It would make no economic sense to sell players now and buy later when the market has recovered, unless that have-to-have player is only available now, which is of course possible.
I agree with you. Regardless of what financial shape we emerge in, it makes no sense flying into the market as it nothing’s happened.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
I wonder if we'll see more swap moves happening, not just loan moves. Personally, I wouldn't mind Wilson being swapped for Saka, for example, Grujić and Shaqiri are also attractive players to a lot of clubs. Italian clubs would have a field day with this, haha!
Arsenal are stupid but they ain't that stupid

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
I think the deflation will be immediate but the return to normal will be a slower process over the next couple of years as club revenues return to normal pre-covid levels.

I don't see us buying many players, perhaps if we get a swag of sales and build a kitty but even then the club may choose to bank that money for the unknown road ahead. We are lucky we have so many saleable assets out on loan that it won't reduce the quality of the squad if they are sold. Question is will there be buyers and whats a reasonable price now.

Can see Wilson getting a crack at it, Jones can replace Lallana, Wilson can replace Shaqiri, Elliott can chip in here and there in cups so to Hoever, Neco and Van Den Burg.

I would love to get another top forward like Werner but I can't see Origi moving unless is was some kind of swap plus cash deal for Werner or another player and those moves are hens teeth.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I read this article, its not really rocket science or very in depth more just a very casual, easy read that points out some superficial aspects.

It got me thinking though, has/is recruiting from the RB clubs the instant win this article seems to suggest? Minamino has been here only 5 minutes so its harsh to rate him so soon but he certainly hasn't taken to us like a Duck to water. Keita has had loads of issues with settling in, injuries have definitely hindered him but he hasn't yet made the easy transition the article suggests. The only former RB player who has is Mane who, as the article glosses over, spent time at Southampton in-between.

So far the clubs we've had the most success with recruiting from under Klopp are Southampton and Roma.

We've had a chequered past with Southampton recruitment and probably not a great idea to go back there (for a start they seem quite tapped out in terms of talent) but under Klopp we got Mane and VvD from there, they started playing from day one and instantly impressed. Southampton do try and do some good things sporting wise and that's led to some good elements to the players we've bought from there.

Roma have, sometimes, done some good things football wise and both Salah and Alisson got to play in such a way that really set them up well to come here and perform from day one as well. They have both a good collection of players (some semi under the radar despite their talent) and seeming financial issues.

Is it just me that isn't too keen on the idea of tapping into the RB squads for recruitment? Would be much more keen on Roma.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Is it just me that isn't too keen on the idea of tapping into the RB squads for recruitment? Would be much more keen on Roma.
We should judge each player on their own individual merits. I'm not sure there is anyone left at either Roma or Southampton worth buying, maybe Zaniolo. As well as Salah and Allisson, and Van Dijk and Mane, we also have the likes of Borini, Aquilani, Lambert, Clyne. Lallana and Lovren land somewhere in the middle.

Salzburg and Leipzig play aggressive, attacking football and often dominate games which theoretically lends itself well to transferring over here. On the flip side to that you could argue that it makes certain players look better than they are given the fact it's a lot easier to score in Germany and Austria. I've already posted a million times about Werner, so I will skip over him, but Nkunku, Schick, Forsberg and Sabitzer have impressive stats too and I don't think any of them would come close to replicating those here. Angelino, the lad who couldn't get a game at left back for City, looks like a world beater in Nagalsmann's system.

The one player I do like is Laimer. Leipzig have a lot of players who don't do much out of possession (Werner, Schick, Nkunku, Angelino, Olmo) and Laimer seems to hold it all together in that midfield whilst being able to play a bit too. I could see him slotting into the 6 or 8 in our system.

Edit: Atalanta are an example similar to Leipzig. They play some great football, incredibly attacking. They have 3 or 4 players who are scoring goals at better than 1 every 90 minutes. Are those top players? No, they're just playing in a system that allows them to score a lot. They still fail to win too many games.

Last edited:

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
We should judge each player on their own individual merits. I'm not sure there is anyone left at either Roma or Southampton worth buying, maybe Zaniolo. As well as Salah and Allisson, and Van Dijk and Mane, we also have the likes of Borini, Aquilani, Lambert, Clyne. Lallana and Lovren land somewhere in the middle.

Salzburg and Leipzig play aggressive, attacking football and often dominate games which theoretically lends itself well to transferring over here. On the flip side to that you could argue that it makes certain players look better than they are given the fact it's a lot easier to score in Germany and Austria. I've already posted a million times about Werner, so I will skip over him, but Nkunku, Schick, Forsberg and Sabitzer have impressive stats too and I don't think any of them would come close to replicating those here. Angelino, the lad who couldn't get a game at left back for City, looks like a world beater in Nagalsmann's system.

The one player I do like is Laimer. Leipzig have a lot of players who don't do much out of possession (Werner, Schick, Nkunku, Angelino, Olmo) and Laimer seems to hold it all together in that midfield whilst being able to play a bit too. I could see him slotting into the 6 or 8 in our system.
I think a large part of why the Red Bulls seem to work for us as feeder clubs is the scouting and training facilities/methods.. They are exceptional, they seem to really do their homework. I think that translates with they generally get it "right" in terms of player personality and the type we need to thrive here.

I do agree though, Forsberg as 1 example has exceptional stats, but you watch him play he seems a poor mans Eriksen and his lack of pace would kill him in the English game.