The Unreliable Rumours Thread

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Interesting read.

I think in a more traditional season/transfer window we would be making a few changes come the summer and we may still do so but the uncertainty around the crowds and when they will be coming back to football makes these decisions very difficult given the unknown revenue hit the club will be taking.

Looking at the team I don't think any of the star players we have are at a point where their best is behind them. Probably only James Milner you could put in that class and he is more of a rotational player now anyway. I think our best starting 11 players are all at the peak of their powers or entering that peak and on that basis I don't think we should be looking to make any unnecessary changes to the squad.

Can see a world where players like Grujic, Wilson, Shaqiri, Clyne and Lovren move on, probably a few others im forgetting and a few kids as well but what their worth is now in the current market is anyone guess and I doubt the club will be rushing to sell players if they think they can get double the price in 12 months time. Perhaps if a player was really pushing to make the move. I'd suggest we will be using loans as much as possible and re-evaluate in 12 months time when hopefully crowds are back and some semblance of normal life has returned.

Looking at the squad who do we really need, unless players like Origi or Lovren move on we don't really have a real need. Maybe an out and out LB to back up Robbo but Milner can do that job when required too. Maybe even Williams could be given some game time backing up Robbo to help him get more minutes.

BigJon

Interesting read.

I think in a more traditional season/transfer window we would be making a few changes come the summer and we may still do so but the uncertainty around the crowds and when they will be coming back to football makes these decisions very difficult given the unknown revenue hit the club will be taking.

Looking at the team I don't think any of the star players we have are at a point where their best is behind them. Probably only James Milner you could put in that class and he is more of a rotational player now anyway. I think our best starting 11 players are all at the peak of their powers or entering that peak and on that basis I don't think we should be looking to make any unnecessary changes to the squad.

Can see a world where players like Grujic, Wilson, Shaqiri, Clyne and Lovren move on, probably a few others im forgetting and a few kids as well but what their worth is now in the current market is anyone guess and I doubt the club will be rushing to sell players if they think they can get double the price in 12 months time. Perhaps if a player was really pushing to make the move. I'd suggest we will be using loans as much as possible and re-evaluate in 12 months time when hopefully crowds are back and some semblance of normal life has returned.

Looking at the squad who do we really need, unless players like Origi or Lovren move on we don't really have a real need. Maybe an out and out LB to back up Robbo but Milner can do that job when required too. Maybe even Williams could be given some game time backing up Robbo to help him get more minutes.
I wonder if Leeds get promoted then perhaps they will make an offer for James Milner - would maybe be hard to resist for him? Would not be at all surprised if he finishes his career at Leeds. Then we would definitely need a backup LB.

MinniMo

I wonder if Leeds get promoted then perhaps they will make an offer for James Milner - would maybe be hard to resist for him? Would not be at all surprised if he finishes his career at Leeds. Then we would definitely need a backup LB.
I think it was always his aim to end his career back at Leeds, and if he wanted to go I know we would never stand in his way, he's been a fantastic player/personality for us and will be a massive miss come the day.

brush85

Gini...wouldnt surprise at all if Klopp tried him there as a regular back up for that role. While Ox and Naby, hopefully healthy, play more next year

rab

Thing with the idea of holding on for another year is if the market has dropped by say 30%, the price of the players we'd be looking to buy will also be lower now than potentially in 12 months time.

I'm also not sure of the contract situation of those you mention but that's one year less on each of them and could impact their value in 12 months. Also got to consider someone like Lovren is on £100k a week. That's upwards of £5m a year to keep him around in the hope that next year his value is £5m more than now. And having now gone and looked, his contract is up next summer anyway so keeping him only means spending £5m in wages now to likely let him go on a free in a year. Makes absolute sense to sell him this summer if we can.

I think we've just got to see how the market settles and play accordingly this summer. There's little value in keeping players that aren't going to contribute or would go out on loan again in the hope that next year we can get a greater fee for them. If we've decided they aren't what we need, sell them now and buy whilst the market is also in a dip.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Thing with the idea of holding on for another year is if the market has dropped by say 30%, the price of the players we'd be looking to buy will also be lower now than potentially in 12 months time.

I'm also not sure of the contract situation of those you mention but that's one year less on each of them and could impact their value in 12 months. Also got to consider someone like Lovren is on £100k a week. That's upwards of £5m a year to keep him around in the hope that next year his value is £5m more than now.

I think we've just got to see how the market settles and play accordingly this summer. There's little value in keeping players that aren't going to contribute or would go out on loan again in the hope that next year we can get a greater fee for them. If we've decided they aren't what we need, sell them now and buy whilst the market is also in a dip.
And Lovrens deal runs out after this coming season so we would be spending £5 million to keep him as our 4th CB when its arguable we could have 4 or maybe even 5 players who can perform as well or better in the role. Its actually a hell of a financial commitment even rejecting a free deal in which he doesn't expect us to reimburse him for any decrease in wages at new club. The fact we might actually get up to ten million or more for him too. Financially and Sporting it makes no sense to keep. Him and some of his contentious views could come back and damage us yet. Look what happened with the tennis players who had similar views.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
News on SSN is saying LFC are not interested in buying Napoli's Koulibaly,as the clubs transfer policy prohibits the spending of more than £60mill on a 29 year old,LFC may be interested in signing another CB if Dejan Lovren decides to leave the club.
I’m keen on the news reporting things that actually are news. The idea that we’d sign a 29 year old centre back for £60m we we have Joe Gomez is bonkers.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I’m keen on the news reporting things that actually are news. The idea that we’d sign a 29 year old centre back for £60m we we have Joe Gomez is bonkers.
I don't think Gomez gets the credit he deserves, English fans love the "big 'ard" no nonsense thug types. Gomez is a legitimate, technically-proficient, talent of a CB. That's not to make him out to be physically weak as he's tough and physically strong too. But don't think its recognised as much by the "Engurland" faithful as it is with someone like Maguire with his Easter Island head. Gomez has everything he needs to be recognised, globally, as a true great CB of the game by the time he retires. Already the best English CB and competing with Laporte for 2nd best in the league after VvD. Only thing that could stop a guy as good as him, at such a young age, with such good attitude, from becoming a real great is potential injuries.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I don't think Gomez gets the credit he deserves, English fans love the "big 'ard" no nonsense thug types. Gomez is a legitimate, technically-proficient, talent of a CB. That's not to make him out to be physically weak as he's tough and physically strong too. But don't think its recognised as much by the "Engurland" faithful as it is with someone like Maguire with his Easter Island head. Gomez has everything he needs to be recognised, globally, as a true great CB of the game by the time he retires. Already the best English CB and competing with Laporte for 2nd best in the league after VvD. Only thing that could stop a guy as good as him, at such a young age, with such good attitude, from becoming a real great is potential injuries.
I'm curious if it is because of his injuries taking him out of the spotlight that has done it. After all, Barney Ronay admitted to forgetting about him and he isnt someone who pay attention to the national game.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I'm curious if it is because of his injuries taking him out of the spotlight that has done it. After all, Barney Ronay admitted to forgetting about him and he isnt someone who pay attention to the national game.
I think people just don't pay as much attention to him as a very casual view of us highlights VvD and Alisson more. If you pay attention though Gomez is regularly as good as VvD and sometimes even better, with Alisson or Adrian behind him.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I think people just don't pay as much attention to him as a very casual view of us highlights VvD and Alisson more. If you pay attention though Gomez is regularly as good as VvD and sometimes even better, with Alisson or Adrian behind him.
I'm not denying how good he is, i'm just trying to think what other reasons he isnt noticed as before his big injury last season he was really looking the part and being talked up - Matip for example played the tail end of last season and CL final and a lot of the first part of this season. I dont know from memory how Gomez fitness record fits with being available for the national team which may also be a factor.

Limiescouse

I'm not denying how good he is, i'm just trying to think what other reasons he isnt noticed as before his big injury last season he was really looking the part and being talked up - Matip for example played the tail end of last season and CL final and a lot of the first part of this season. I dont know from memory how Gomez fitness record fits with being available for the national team which may also be a factor.
We barely do any defending. We also have the world's most expensive CB and GK, and on top of that Matip has played a a fair amount. I think you have to watch us fairly closely to pick up how much he contributes.

rab

Well there's the mass media briefing on it being a quiet window for us. Not that we'd advertise having big plans or loads of money to spend but when this was said last year no one really bought it and then look at what we did.

Talk of Jones, Williams and Elliot being like "internal signings" points to them being first team squad for next year. Suspect we'll see plenty of them between now and seasons end.

Honestly though, with statements like that if it wasn't for all these trophies I'd think Hodgson was still in charge

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
I think he isn't noticed as much because he is a very unassuming player. He is demeanor on the field is the opposite of VVD's. He doesn't tend to direct traffic, bark orders and express himself like VVD does. He's the sort of player who doesn't like the lime light and just goes about his business, letting his ability on the field do the talking.

Limiescouse

Well there's the mass media briefing on it being a quiet window for us. Not that we'd advertise having big plans or loads of money to spend but when this was said last year no one really bought it and then look at what we did.

Talk of Jones, Williams and Elliot being like "internal signings" points to them being first team squad for next year. Suspect we'll see plenty of them between now and seasons end.

Honestly though, with statements like that if it wasn't for all these trophies I'd think Hodgson was still in charge
In spending some time taking in the celebrations and watching various highlights there was one thing that really hit me. Virgil's goal against Utd - At any point over the past 15 years that goal would have been the CB we had been chasing scoring against us while haplessly marked by the even more expensive guy that we ended up panic buying.

Sweeting

Hodgson would have extended Clyne and Lallana's contracts, scared to death of blooding Williams and Jones.

That's partly why I'm interested in watching Palace next season. He has been instructed to use more Academy players and that's something he doesn't seem comfortable doing anymore.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I don’t think he regularly starts for England does he? Crazy, as he pisses all over Maguire.

Ahmed Hussain

Sad guy with no life :(
Is there really a player that looks like there's legs in the link? Only one I can think about was Werner and he's going Chelsea now. Probs the first summer where it doesn't seem obvious who's signing for once haha.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
The Echo spewing garbage as usual. I don't need to look at the average age, the fact we have a single over 30 player who plays regularly, or that 90% of our best players in the 26-28 sweet spot, or that we've just won 4 trophies in a 13 month period, or that we are in a great spot to smash the PL points record this season. Or even that our links to Werner were tenuous at very best when they are painting it as if we were actually in negotiations. Liverpool Echo Liverpool Echoing all over the place once again.

[email protected]

I don’t think he regularly starts for England does he? Crazy, as he pisses all over Maguire.
Picture this (you should as it happens almost every game); ball over the top with speedy forward chasing it down gleefully into space>>>>>> CB striding gracefully up the pitch head up with ball at his feet looking for the next forward pass.

Picture this (also happens almost every game); ball over the top with speedy forward chasing it down gleefully into space >>>>>>
CB looking up from the floor helplessly having skid marked his way there while panic spreads through his defence allowing the opposition an opportunity on goal.

One is a defender bought for 8m as a relative kid at the time, the other is the most expensive defender in the world (LOLs). @Limiescouse mentioned this a few months back; Joe has the ability to run down a player and leave him on the seat of his pants while departing with the ball at his feet all the while looking like he hasn't actually done much to do it. The lack of recognition he gets while Maguire is regularly crowed about is criminal. There is no comparison between the two except perhaps in the aerial department and even that is not a major deficiency on Joe's part. He's an extraordinary young defender.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Picture this (you should as it happens almost every game); ball over the top with speedy forward chasing it down gleefully into space>>>>>> CB striding gracefully up the pitch head up with ball at his feet looking for the next forward pass.

Picture this (also happens almost every game); ball over the top with speedy forward chasing it down gleefully into space >>>>>>
CB looking up from the floor helplessly having skid marked his way there while panic spreads through his defence allowing the opposition an opportunity on goal.

One is a defender bought for 8m as a relative kid at the time, the other is the most expensive defender in the world (LOLs). @Limiescouse mentioned this a few months back; Joe has the ability to run down a player and leave him on the seat of his pants while departing with the ball at his feet all the while looking like he hasn't actually done much to do it. The lack of recognition he gets while Maguire is regularly crowed about is criminal. There is no comparison between the two except perhaps in the aerial department and even that is not a major deficiency on Joe's part. He's an extraordinary young defender.
I watched Maguire in the FA cup game against Norwich. He was the BBCs Man of the Match, and was shite. It was unbelievable Utd paid £80m. Leicester absolutely pulled their pants down.

Incognito

The Normal One
We got Fabinho absolutely out of the blue IIRC. Whatever gets put out in the media has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Was going through the social media, twitter and like and there are tons already getting freaked out on our possible lack of signings and how we should build on what we have for sustained success, and how the likes of other clubs would be strengthening and we would miss out on potential sustained success. It's deja vu all again, sounds so similar to last year. The only difference being we won the CL last year and the league this year.

brush85

We got Fabinho absolutely out of the blue IIRC. Whatever gets put out in the media has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Was going through the social media, twitter and like and there are tons already getting freaked out on our possible lack of signings and how we should build on what we have for sustained success, and how the likes of other clubs would be strengthening and we would miss out on potential sustained success. It's deja vu all again, sounds so similar to last year. The only difference being we won the CL last year and the league this year.
Dramatic difference between summer 2018 and now, though. Just like last year, the club has been consistent when it comes to huge expenses.
And seen as none of the main players will be sold...it would actually be quite shocking at this point if large transfer expenditure did occur.