The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Dramatic difference between summer 2018 and now, though. Just like last year, the club has been consistent when it comes to huge expenses.
And seen as none of the main players will be sold...it would actually be quite shocking at this point if large transfer expenditure did occur.
Our business will still be unknown I think is the point.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
If we sign anyone I think it will be similar to the signing of Elliott and Sepp VdB, ie talented youth who we can phase in over the course of a few seasons as our current established players gradually wind down/move on. The one exception to that is potentially a LB, but again would expect them to be young, perhaps just with a bit more first-team experience eg Jamaal Lewis or Lloyd Kelly.

If you consider that we have such good talent breaking through who deserve a chance, as well as someone like Minamino who has yet to properly find his feet - not to mention Keita who only now is doing so - I can actually see our squad as a whole looking stronger next season even without adding major signings.

jim bouki

I don't think Gomez gets the credit he deserves, English fans love the "big 'ard" no nonsense thug types. Gomez is a legitimate, technically-proficient, talent of a CB. That's not to make him out to be physically weak as he's tough and physically strong too. But don't think its recognised as much by the "Engurland" faithful as it is with someone like Maguire with his Easter Island head. Gomez has everything he needs to be recognised, globally, as a true great CB of the game by the time he retires. Already the best English CB and competing with Laporte for 2nd best in the league after VvD. Only thing that could stop a guy as good as him, at such a young age, with such good attitude, from becoming a real great is potential injuries.
Interesting stat:

Liverpool have never lost a Premier League game Joe Gomez has started at centre-back. He joined in 2015. (They have lost PL games he has started at right-back or left-back, but none since January 2018).

With Gomez starting at CB
Games: 22
Wins: 20
Draws: 2
Losses: 0

Win rate: 90.9%
Loss rate: 0%

Points per game: 2.72
Goals conceded per game: 0.4
Clean sheet ratio: 63.6%
( stats are prob higher now as this was from may)

He's already world class and by far and away the best young CB on the planet. The perfect partner for VVD.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
If we sign anyone I think it will be similar to the signing of Elliott and Sepp VdB, ie talented youth who we can phase in over the course of a few seasons as our current established players gradually wind down/move on. The one exception to that is potentially a LB, but again would expect them to be young, perhaps just with a bit more first-team experience eg Jamaal Lewis or Lloyd Kelly.

If you consider that we have such good talent breaking through who deserve a chance, as well as someone like Minamino who has yet to properly find his feet - not to mention Keita who only now is doing so - I can actually see our squad as a whole looking stronger next season even without adding major signings.
Still think left forward is main area a good player is really needed for but unless a creative solution can be found I don't expect much to happen with it this summer. Maybe a loan or cheap/bosman but even then that may get in the way next year when we will probably address it.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Interesting stat:

Liverpool have never lost a Premier League game Joe Gomez has started at centre-back. He joined in 2015. (They have lost PL games he has started at right-back or left-back, but none since January 2018).

He's already world class and by far and away the best young CB on the planet. The perfect partner for VVD.
Yep legitimately competing for status as 2nd best CB in the league and still so young.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin

I'm largely of this opinion as well and for a while I've been convinced Liverpool wouldn't be doing major deals due to coronavirus crisis - that is until Werner links grew in strength. I think that majority of fans agree on team's current needs - Lovren's replacement (for me, Hoever and Van Den Berg aren't ready for that role, and I'm not sure that Hoever will be playing that role at all), Robertson's backup (I don't have much faith in Larouci) and one more speedy winger, presumably a left-sided one (that Magno kid perhaps?).

Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if Klopp found some "solutions" that no one thought of earlier. If Milner can play at left back and Wijnaldum at centre back in a back three, why wouldn't Origi be able to play as goalkeeper, Jones as deep lying playmaker, Fabinho as defensive right winger... :)

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
ill be gutted if we dont strengthen with a world class player.
Other teams will get stronger during the summer. United are already millions in debt so they will spend and so will chelsea and City.
Its a lot to ask this team to keep doing what its doing for 3 years running.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Interesting stat:

Yeah, it's now P24, W22, D2

PPG 2.83
Win % 91.6

Plamen

Other teams will get stronger during the summer. United are already millions in debt so they will spend and so will chelsea and City.
Spending money doesnt always mean getting stronger.Look at the amount of money United have thrown since Ferguson left.I remember the last summer people being nervous over Arsenal and Spurs buying few players and look how their season turned out.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
If by World Class player you are talking about being based on a big reputation, then yes, you are going to be gutted. There is very little evidence to date that we are going to splash big money on a player.

We go through this discussion every year - signing players doesnt automatically equate with getting stronger.

We are not standing still. Williams for example looks like a far more talented full back than Clyne. We can sign non world class players - such as for LB cover making us stronger than this season.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Spending money doesnt always mean getting stronger.Look at the amount of money United have thrown since Ferguson left.I remember the last summer people being nervous over Arsenal and Spurs buying few players and look how their season turned out.
Well obviously has to be the right player at the right price. Ill be gutted if Havertz goes to Chelsea or City. We do need more upfront. Been so lucky on injury front with our front 3.

In other news Matip is out for the season. Shock.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Two points though;
1 Getting a top class player doesn't always mean spending money, especially as some of our top class players were not recognised as such before we bought them only after Klopp started using them. Salah for instance.
2 Our track record of buying players at all price points is much much better than United, Spurs and Arsenal. Just because they can spend and not improve does not mean we won't improve by spending. If we bring a player in under Klopp, whatever the price, it will likely improve us straight away and almost certainly improve us long term based off our buying record not those of other teams.

MinniMo

Klopp will only go after a player he needs, and knows will improve the squad. Spending a fortune on big names has never really been his thing, he knows the style of player he wants, and if no one fits the bill, then no one he will buy. We Liverpool fans really need to stop demanding we get this, that or the other big price, big name player. It's not going to happen unless they are 100% right to fit into the squad, are prepared to work bloody hard and prepared to wait possibly ages for a match - big names often think they are bigger and better than those options.

Anfield rd Dreaamer made an excellent comment above btw - "Just because they can spend and not improve does not mean we won't improve by spending." Klopp looks for the 'improving player'.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Klopp will only go after a player he needs, and knows will improve the squad. Spending a fortune on big names has never really been his thing, he knows the style of player he wants, and if no one fits the bill, then no one he will buy. We Liverpool fans really need to stop demanding we get this, that or the other big price, big name player. It's not going to happen unless they are 100% right to fit into the squad, are prepared to work bloody hard and prepared to wait possibly ages for a match - big names often think they are bigger and better than those options.

Anfield rd Dreaamer made an excellent comment above btw - "Just because they can spend and not improve does not mean we won't improve by spending." Klopp looks for the 'improving player'.
Likewise though if a player is good enough he will play from day 1 (Salah, Mane, VvD, Alisson for example). Also just because a player costs a lot does not also mean he can be 100% the right fit. Far too many posters on here get snotty making "youre only suggesting player x because he is a big name"! The right player that improves us may be well known, famous and expensive (see Alisson and VvD) or lesser known but still expensive (Salah, Mane, Fabinho, Keita, Ox), cheap (Robertson, Shaqiri, Minamino) or even free (Milner, Matip). Any price level player could be the right one. Sometimes it seems on here that if you suggest a well known player everyone turns their nose up at the suggestion without understanding the reason for the suggestion.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
We got Fabinho absolutely out of the blue IIRC. Whatever gets put out in the media has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Was going through the social media, twitter and like and there are tons already getting freaked out on our possible lack of signings and how we should build on what we have for sustained success, and how the likes of other clubs would be strengthening and we would miss out on potential sustained success. It's deja vu all again, sounds so similar to last year. The only difference being we won the CL last year and the league this year.
Yes, but .... last summer I thought we should've bought a striker as back up as we'd kind of gotten away with no seroius to our forwards. And we got lucky again. No serious injuries.
As good as our youngsters may be a few years from now, I would still like us to get a versatile striker with a lot more than just a handful games under his belt who can step up when one of the front three is out for several weeks or even months.
I know we bought Minamino, but I haven't see anything in him yet. He seems far too lightweight, literally and otherwise.
I just think that going through another summer window without buying a forward who's better than Origi, could end up hurting us.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
He's a bit of a weird one, he was a bit of a disaster in the U18s. He's been poor for the U23s and yet he's been superb for the first team everytime he's been used.
It's just how it goes sometimes I guess. I'm sure we had other "talents" who looked impressive at various youth levels (much due to their physicality), but immediately turned out to be limited when the bar was raised at first team level. Hoever is very technical, perhaps it will take a percentage of those unimpressive displays (and "what is he, what's his best position" questions from the public, because he can play 2-3 positions), on the route of developing into a really nice first team player. I like him, still only 18, hope to see little steps every time.