The Unreliable Rumours Thread

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Thiago was one of Peps most important signings at Bayern. When he came in he told his bosses that they should sign Thiago or no one.

City will be without Sané and David Silva. Would make sense if they sign him.

lfc.8

Thiago was one of Peps most important signings at Bayern. When he came in he told his bosses that they should sign Thiago or no one.

City will be without Sané and David Silva. Would make sense if they sign him.
City do have Gundogan, Foden, Bernardo Silva and De Bruyne. Wouldn't surprise me though.

rab

He's back with him, I think.
Ox is all over their website so I'd say he's definitely part of their stable.

Bailey looks to have the raw materials but needs someone to help realise his potential. Had a breakout season a couple years back but not been able to hit those heights since.

I think he'd be a great option and would have the luxury here of a slow intro. You wonder what position Leverkusen might be in now they aren't getting CL. Can see them wanting to hang onto Havertz for another season rather than sell their prize asset in a depressed market. Also Bayern probably aren't in a position to be in for him this summer.

The other interesting name in that Athletic article is the Greek left back Konstantinos Tsimikas. Right age profile, similar attacking playing style and probably not too expensive.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Tancredi Palmeri is one of the worst journalists out there. He was fun quite a while back but he has zero credibility when it comes to transfers, almost a parody account.

As for Thiago Alcantara, quality player, absolutely no doubt about it but that transfer doesn't make any sense. I mean, the club has already invested so much in Keita, who was/is supposed to become a Premier League equivalent of Thiago at his best - but has so far only managed to rival him in terms of injuries. His wages would be at Man City's level, he would be very expensive for someone of his contract situation. Not to mention that there are quite a few options in central midfield for Liverpool at this moment.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
These Thiago rumors make so little sense. If there’s one area where we are stacked with options is midfield so don’t see why we’d bring him in.
Stacked, yes, but not with a lot of players of elite quality.

Herb

People here and elsewhere have been arguing that we should be signing players and strengthening from the position of power we now occupy. Imo Thiago is a better player than every midfielder currently at the club (Fabinho is probably on a par when he’s in form) so why wouldn’t it make sense to be interested in him if he’s available regardless of who is currently at the club? You have to be ruthless to reach the top and even more so to stay there.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Stacked, yes, but not with a lot of players of elite quality.
Some of our CM players are elite quality at doing the job Klopp needs his two more advanced CMs doing but that job is still not widely understood. Fabinho and Henderson are both elite level at being a holding number 6 that needs to be able to move the ball instead of just win it.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Some of our CM players are elite quality at doing the job Klopp needs his two more advanced CMs doing but that job is still not widely understood. Fabinho and Henderson are both elite level at being a holding number 6 that needs to be able to move the ball instead of just win it.
Necessity is the mother of invention.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
People here and elsewhere have been arguing that we should be signing players and strengthening from the position of power we now occupy. Imo Thiago is a better player than every midfielder currently at the club (Fabinho is probably on a par when he’s in form) so why wouldn’t it make sense to be interested in him if he’s available regardless of who is currently at the club? You have to be ruthless to reach the top and even more so to stay there.
I havent seen enough to judge his quality, but his age and fitness levels would suggest it doesn't make sense. We already have 3 players in midfield hitting 29+.

FGred

I don’t know about Thiago but I wouldn’t mind Benrahma from Brentford he has just scored a hat trick For them young and probably a lot cheaper and not as brittle as Thiago?

[email protected]

It wouldn't surprise me if we deviated from our usual age bracket when it comes to signings in the next season or two; we have a complete first XI and a good squad so having won the CL, Super Cup, World Club Cup, the Premier League and with Klopp signed to 2024 it could be possible (not saying it will happen) that a few older and quality players might arrive for 2021/22 and 2022/23 on shorter term but lucrative contracts in line with our higher earners to keep us winning with a rebuild in mind for 2023/24.

At the moment Klopp is here for only the next three seasons and I am sure he, the owners, his backroom staff and the current squad would like to maximise that time to its full extent while also keeping an eye out for the future. Thiago, for instance, simply does not fit the bill for where we were but for where we are right now it does make a bit of sense.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Necessity is the mother of invention.
Peoples main gripes with our CM is that they aren't creative enough or don't score enough goals but all of our CMs have shown form, here or elsewhere, when they have been more creative and/or scored more goals. Its not the job Klopp is asking them to do. Getting a more creative or attacking CM won't work as they will still have to shackle that and perform the job Klopp needs his 8s to do.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
It wouldn't surprise me if we deviated from our usual age bracket when it comes to signings in the next season or two; we have a complete first XI and a good squad so having won the CL, Super Cup, World Club Cup, the Premier League and with Klopp signed to 2024 it could be possible (not saying it will happen) that a few older and quality players might arrive for 2021/22 and 2022/23 on shorter term but lucrative contracts in line with our higher earners to keep us winning with a rebuild in mind for 2023/24.

At the moment Klopp is here for only the next three seasons and I am sure he, the owners, his backroom staff and the current squad would like to maximise that time to its full extent while also keeping an eye out for the future. Thiago, for instance, simply does not fit the bill for where we were but for where we are right now it does make a bit of sense.
Buying a 29 year old midfielder adds to the rebuilding job at that price and it doesn't sound like he will be playing for too many more years.

[email protected]

Buying a 29 year old midfielder adds to the rebuilding job at that price and it doesn't sound like he will be playing for too many more years.
Like I said, not saying it will happen but a fit and healthy Thiago adds undoubted quality to the squad for the next two seasons when I personally assume Klopp would want to keep his squad at its absolute peak in order to maintain the momentum we've built up.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Like I said, not saying it will happen but a fit and healthy Thiago adds undoubted quality to the squad for the next two seasons when I personally assume Klopp would want to keep his squad at its absolute peak in order to maintain the momentum we've built up.
But if he struggles to stay fit in Germany, how will he manage here - Keita was a virtual ever present there as was I think Klavan and Matip?

Secondly, he will need to adapt to the pace and physicality of English football.

richieh10

2 things about Thiago, as good as he is, and there is no doubt about that.

Are there players out there who are on par with him

- yes there are

are these players younger than him

- yes they are.

whereas he will be a good signing, maybe we’re two years too late with this?

will turn 30 before the end of next season, and where as I know age isn’t important now as it was a few years back with players athleticism etc I feel that the 30million could be better spent on a player 25-27 with 5 good years ahead before the enivitable decline due to age rather than a player with 2-3 before that decline.

cue everybody saying “what about Milner” but not everybody is the machine that James Milner is, plus he was picked up on a free...

Herb

Thiago - Games/Minutes
19/20 39/2969
18/19 42/3229
17/18 35/2243
16/18 44/3685
15/16 53/3359

For all those who keep referring to his injury record or fitness levels without actually looking at the numbers, it’s hardly like he’s Abou Diaby is it?

For me in regards to this transfer age isn’t really relevant at all. If you get three or four more years out of him at his peak level or close to it then it’s absolutely worth it. Not every transfer has to be this ideal scenario of a 23 year old who slowly finds his way into the team over a number years, sometimes to win more titles you buy proven quality for right now. I wonder if Ferguson looks back and regrets buying Van Persie at 29.

richieh10

Oh and by the way

only hit 30 league appearances in one season and his best seasons goal wise is 6.

hardly edge of your seat figures from a creative player who is playing for a team who dominate in the league.

for comparative figures Coutinho scored 8 from 23 appearances and Thiago 3 from 24.

slightly different positions but looking at it from a playmaker perspective.
I’d get Phil on loan from Barca