The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Limiescouse

I think with us coming 2nd last season and spending about £10mill on Minanino,SVDB and Elliot this season (all hardly used and not really contributed this season) and us still winning the league,kinda puts the standing still/going backwards if you don't spend anaglogy to bed while Klopp/Edwards are here.
The upward trajectory cannot go on for ever with the same group, but there is still considerable potential for the momentum to be maintained by improvement of a few players in the group of 4-5 players who have been on the fringes - Jones, Elliott, Neco, Brewster, Minimino. Even the likes of Ox and Keita can really be looked to to give us more. If even just two of those make the step up next year, that represents the equivalent of a really good summer for a buy first sort of club.

I think the guys who run out club have been proven right in their assessment of the capacity of the group they had at their disposal up to now, so they've earned the right to not be second guessed (outside of the sort of shit we do for fun).

Last edited:

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
The upward trajectory cannot go on for ever with the same group, but there is still considerable potential for the 4-5 players who have been on the fringes - Jones, Elliott, Neco, Brewster, Minimino, but even to a degree the likes of Ox and Keita can really be looked to to give us more. If even just two of those make the step up next year that represents the equivalent of a really good summer for a buy first sort of club. I think the guys who run out club have been proven right in their assessment of the capacity of the group they had at their disposal up to now, so they've earned the right to not be second guessed (outside of the sort of shit we do for fun).

Exactly,this group of players won't be together forever but the way things have worked out,you can't say its a fluke either,with Edwards and his analytical team working hard on getting things right and suposedly working/looking at players 2-3 years in advance,we've got ourselves into this position where we don't need to buy.I'd even go as far as saying,even without this coronavirus and hit to our finances,we'd still be hard pushed to find the right quality at the right price to come in and make us better than what we already have,looking at the transfer market right now.

What we've done is to be able to carry on competing with the same squad for a few seasons,which then buys us time to carry on scouting the next generation of players to take over from our stars and lets us build up our finances in the meantime.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
That is why I remain frustrated why to some fans, strengthening from position of strength always mean buying some players out there. That is so...Football Manager. Would coaching and improving our current squad not strengthening? Would not promoting youths be that? Would coaching players into another position not be that? Why are there only one way to strengthen? I love a new player or two but that's not the only way to strengthen.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
That is why I remain frustrated why to some fans, strengthening from position of strength always mean buying some players out there. That is so...Football Manager. Would coaching and improving our current squad not strengthening? Would not promoting youths be that? Would coaching players into another position not be that? Why are there only one way to strengthen? I love a new player or two but that's not the only way to strengthen.

I agree. Big fan of bringing layers through from the academy but buying a proven player is the most sure way of improving things. Problem is the only ones good enough to be sure to improve the team will cost silly money. I feel we really do need another attacking player who will get his share of goals. Rhian Brewster maybe ?

GaryBarlow99

I agree. I was hoping Origi would kick on this season and become a viable 4th forward for us but it hasn't happened. The club obviously think the same by wanting Werner. I do think we could do with a left footed LB but if Larouci is doing it in training and the boss thinks he can be a good enough understudy then again I'm fine with that.

I do think fans are worried that unless we sign players and strengthen that our success will not last as long as we want it to. Thats what 30 years waiting for a title does though!

big noyd

he's been absolutely awful for atletico but if they can't find a buyer, what about lemar on loan?

haven't heard anything about him being disruptive or unprofessional, supposedly he's on a fairly reasonable 120k/week

mane can play on the right easily and we might have harry wilson too, lemar would provide some cover on the left and maybe the width to offset occasionally playing neco williams at left back

costared

TIA Reserve Team

With respect, " strengthening from a position of strength " was considered good policy before FM was even invented. Coaching players to play in another position can give a bit more cover but it is unlikely that they will play as well in a new position and again will do no more than add a little to back up strength. I am a great believer in promoting youth but they have to have the potential and ability in the first place and it takes time. We have a few lads around at the moment who could possibly improve the team when they reach, or get close to, their peak but they are not going to come in and be world beaters instantly. ( at the moment I think Jones, Elliot, Williams and Brewster have a chance) . With a bit of luck Brewster might be good enough to freshen things up next season. The fact is though that players and tactics etc. all get a bit stale and need something different to " freshen things up" I can understand fans being frustrated if we do not sign anyone when other clubs are spending fortunes on players and I would like to see a good signing but if it does not happen at least it gives the youngsters more chance to shine. Most important thing is that we continue to play entertaining football and winning more than our share of games.

Sweeting

he's been absolutely awful for atletico but if they can't find a buyer, what about lemar on loan?

haven't heard anything about him being disruptive or unprofessional, supposedly he's on a fairly reasonable 120k/week

mane can play on the right easily and we might have harry wilson too, lemar would provide some cover on the left and maybe the width to offset occasionally playing neco williams at left back
I'm not sure awful quite covers it. He's the definition of a progress blocker.

19/20: 28 appearances - 0 goals, 0 assists
18/19: 43 appearances - 3 goals, 6 assists

His goals were against Huesca, Eibar and Sant Andreu. His assists against Brugge, Huesca, Alaves, Valencia, Sant Andreu and Girona.

He'd have to pay us £120k a week to be anywhere near our squad. I'd much rather give Jones the minutes.

Last edited:
I know with Lalana and shaq and other leaving and we have kids coming up, I would still like to see a rumour that Todd Cantwell is coming over .. pure moneyball (maybe) but he is a club captain at 22 that says a lot (even if relegated etc)...

We wont be spending big at all this summer and he looks to be the best from the relegated and available pool we have dipped into before

Richard88

i like him better than lewis or buendia from the little i've seen, fwiw, it's not a bad shout. seems like a lot of other people prefer buendia
Yeah I'd lean towards Buendia over Cantwell personally. Dude is just an absolute terrier to play against and has some great passing skills.

RedinAsia

Well, enough about hairstyles ..... here's an actual unreliable transfer rumour that I'm sure many on here hope to be true.
From the Echo via the BBC rumours page:

Zenit St Petersburg have expressed an interest in signing Liverpool and Croatia defender Dejan Lovren, 31. (Liverpool Echo)
St Petersburg is way too close to Anfield! Dregs is more suited to Japanese Kamikazi football style.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
People read it in the papers and online and we get conditioned to think this way and then someone like Klopp says we can improve the squad with coaching and youth players people call him revolutionary.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I’m firmly in the buy big this year.

Dressing rooms need to be kept fresh, if you’ve got a bunch of guys who just did it all, in my mind, they might need a bit of fox in the chicken coop, not a trouble maker, just someone who is fresh and hungry.

the relative lack of spending last year, if anything, to me means we are more like to go big this season, not less likely.

The obvious issue is what this virus has done to the market, As uncomfortable as this sounds, there might be value in the market this year round where there wasn’t prior.

redbj

All very noble and hipsterish

Of course you can strengthen by training existing players

However, to improve possibly the best football team on the planet, you might need to go big.

That’s not football manager or derogatory, that is simply using your market position to its maximum potential

I don’t advocate a wholesale change for changes sake

But let’s face it, as promising as some of our kids are, they are honestly not challenging for the ‘cup final’ team next season.

There’s nothing to be ashamed about by buying world class footballers.

For every TAA, there’s a Mane, a Salah and a Virgil

Be nice if that wasn’t the way, but it is.

To put real pressure in that dressing room, and I mean real pressure, you can’t just wait for Harvey Elliot to come good.

He replaced guys like Origi,

As superficial as this may sound, I can’t see the point of Minamino either, apart from a money making exercise.

Much respect to the player, but he’s hardly putting pressure on the front three.

brush85

Why do they need someone to put pressure on them? The coach sets the standards...and Klopp probably isnt likely to drop those standards anytime soon.
If someone doesnt meet those standards, then I'm sure something will be done about it. There is a reason why he wants to keep Milner around and wanted to keep Lallana around.

The whole buying from strength theory is flawed because there is never a position where people wouldnt expect you to buy players.
You suck? buy players
you're mediocre? buy players
you're close but no cigar? buy players
you finish 2nd with a club records points total of 97 points and win the European Cup? Buy players, FSG! Gosh!

redbj

Why do they need someone to put pressure on them? The coach sets the standards...and Klopp probably isnt likely to drop those standards anytime soon.
If someone doesnt meet those standards, then I'm sure something will be done about it. There is a reason why he wants to keep Milner around and wanted to keep Lallana around.

The whole buying from strength theory is flawed because there is never a position where people wouldnt expect you to buy players.
You suck? buy players
you're mediocre? buy players
you're close but no cigar? buy players
you finish 2nd with a club records points total of 97 points and win the European Cup? Buy players, FSG! Gosh!
Fair point

Let’s not buy anymore players, as you say, it’s far too simplistic.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
People realise buying players doesn't mean you can't also continue to improve through training and bringing youth through as well right? Its not an either or situation. We've got the recruitment team with the best track record in the sport for getting it right when we recruit. We can add one or two this summer if the right opportunity arises and it won't harm or hinder any of the work being done to develop existing players.

brush85

Fair point

Let’s not buy anymore players, as you say, it’s far too simplistic.
Nobody is saying that.

All that is being said is that, there isnt an absolute need to buy players at this current time. Just like there wasnt last summer.

Summer 2018? Nobody was saying we didnt need to buy anyone. These past two years have been rarities...for any club. It is rare that a club can legitimately stay away from buying players and still improve.
When the holes appear, we will be aggressive in filling those holes. Everyone knows this.

redbj

Well I don’t ‘know’ that we will fill holes when they appear. I’d prefer to fill them prior and include a bedding in period.

I still think, we would be wise to improve the squad, freshen it up a bit and strengthen from a position of dominance

I don’t think going into next season with the same squad plus a few Loan recalls would be wise.

For one, it leaves far too much to do in the transfer market a year later and far too much assimilation in that next squad phase.

I understand we are a brilliant team, but I just personally think ticking the squad over from the position we are in now would be better forward planning.

I look at our front three and I honestly think there is a massive drop off in quality to the next players. That sounds disrespectful to the legend that is divock Origi but it’s just my opinion.

I also think a fourth year without tweaking that set up might become a bit predictable

I do like the calls for Fabinho to directly replace Lovren, and I’m inclined to concede we don’t need another full back forcover.

Regarding pressure, I do think that even the best dressing rooms require constant stimulation.
Which is best bought about by change.

Evolution, not revolution.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Was listening to the TAW wrap yesterday and they brought up a good point that this year the 3 forwards goals have gone down but we have scored more from midfield this year. So maybe we need a forward who just puts the ball in the net to give us something a bit different. Yes Bobby does a lot more than scoring but he only has 8. Id love Son from Spurs.
They, like me, are also surprised that Minamino has had just 50 minutes since the restart and 45 of those were in the first game back when everyone was rusty. I found it really odd on Sat when we needed a goal Trent, Kieta and Ox came on and Minamino got nothing again.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Was listening to the TAW wrap yesterday and they brought up a good point that this year the 3 forwards goals have gone down but we have scored more from midfield this year. So maybe we need a forward who just puts the ball in the net to give us something a bit different. Yes Bobby does a lot more than scoring but he only has 8. Id love Son from Spurs.
They, like me, are also surprised that Minamino has had just 50 minutes since the restart and 45 of those were in the first game back when everyone was rusty. I found it really odd on Sat when we needed a goal Trent, Kieta and Ox came on and Minamino got nothing again.
Replace Bobby with a more natural goalscorer you probably then lose goals from others, so you are unlikely to be better off.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Well I don’t ‘know’ that we will fill holes when they appear. I’d prefer to fill them prior and include a bedding in period.

I still think, we would be wise to improve the squad, freshen it up a bit and strengthen from a position of dominance

I don’t think going into next season with the same squad plus a few Loan recalls would be wise.

For one, it leaves far too much to do in the transfer market a year later and far too much assimilation in that next squad phase.

I understand we are a brilliant team, but I just personally think ticking the squad over from the position we are in now would be better forward planning.

I look at our front three and I honestly think there is a massive drop off in quality to the next players. That sounds disrespectful to the legend that is divock Origi but it’s just my opinion.

I also think a fourth year without tweaking that set up might become a bit predictable

I do like the calls for Fabinho to directly replace Lovren, and I’m inclined to concede we don’t need another full back forcover.

Regarding pressure, I do think that even the best dressing rooms require constant stimulation.
Which is best bought about by change.

Evolution, not revolution.
All things being equal, I agree.

However, the thing that isn’t equal is Coronavirus. Liverpool might be £100m down on this, and no-one has a clue how football is going to cope.