• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

Looks good in that video. Assertive, aggressive, and has the pace and physique to succeed in the PL. If i was going to nitpick though he probably needs to learn to stay on his feet a bit more, slide tackles look great in highlight videos, but it's too easy for strikers to dive if you're constantly going to ground like that. Master of the last-ditch tackle though by the looks of it; shows great mentality in winning 50/50's and getting back for goal-saving blocks.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
I hope we do get a replacement for Lovren once he leaves. But judging by Klopp's recent comments regarding making do without "A1 solutions" for cover during an injury crisis, it's far from certain that we will go the route of replacement. I think it's just as likely we will use the youngsters as cover for injury and Fab if the youngsters aren't impressing in training at that time.

The Thiago rumour makes much more sense if we are reducing 4 into 3 CB's next season because of Fab.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Would signing a 20 year old CB now make sense? At 20 years old, they would be wanting to play regularly. Unless Klopp has lost confidence in Gomez and Matip, the former would probably be first choice to partner VVD and Matip a very close 2nd choice. Would Kabak come here to be 4th choice CB as Lovren was? Would spending 20-30 mil pounds make sense then?

Fabinho has 4th choice CB might have some legs considering we can throw in youths when necessary but of course its not optimal. So for me, the most sensible solution to the 4th choice CB would be to get a very experienced CB late 20s onwards who is either out of contract or below 10mil, who would be contented to play as a backup to squad, give good options when players are injured or need to be rested and who can fill this gap for 2-3 seasons until Sepp or Hoever is ready to step up on a regular basis.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Would signing a 20 year old CB now make sense? At 20 years old, they would be wanting to play regularly. Unless Klopp has lost confidence in Gomez and Matip, the former would probably be first choice to partner VVD and Matip a very close 2nd choice. Would Kabak come here to be 4th choice CB as Lovren was? Would spending 20-30 mil pounds make sense then?

Fabinho has 4th choice CB might have some legs considering we can throw in youths when necessary but of course its not optimal. So for me, the most sensible solution to the 4th choice CB would be to get a very experienced CB late 20s onwards who is either out of contract or below 10mil, who would be contented to play as a backup to squad, give good options when players are injured or need to be rested and who can fill this gap for 2-3 seasons until Sepp or Hoever is ready to step up on a regular basis.
Unless they are looking at the young guy taking over from Matip within a year or two? That would make some sense. As hes still only 20 there's no rush on him settling in and getting up to speed but once he is it could be time to let Matip then move on and Hoever or VdB step up as 4th choice.

nikz200

It makes no sense at all. Unless they were looking to offload Matip. But honestly It could also be that we don’t anticipate that VVD will be playing every game again next season and therefore a 4th choice centre back is crucial for the team to rotate between all competitions. This also probably means they don’t see a long term future for Hoever , at least not in the CB position. Same way Laroucci was let go, Hoever could be ending up the same way too,.

nikz200

So the bundesliga caught on to the rumours and hype and suddenly the kid is the bees knees of defenders

weird how the world works.....

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

So the bundesliga caught on to the rumours and hype and suddenly the kid is the bees knees of defenders

weird how the world works.....
He was targeted by Bayern a year ago, i think, so he already had a good reputation before coming to Schalke.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
A highly rated 20 year-old centre back with some experience in Bundesliga theoretically bridges that gap between Matip and Van Den Berg/Hoever (still think Hoever won't play CB at Liverpool but we'll see). If he's really that talented and wouldn't come too expensive, I don't see why Liverpool shouldn't sign him. Matip is made of crisps anyway, even though I love the way our giraffe man plays. Gomez has had serious injury issues and Van Dijk has missed about an hour of league football in last two years, he'll need resting from time to time.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
It makes no sense at all. Unless they were looking to offload Matip. But honestly It could also be that we don’t anticipate that VVD will be playing every game again next season and therefore a 4th choice centre back is crucial for the team to rotate between all competitions. This also probably means they don’t see a long term future for Hoever , at least not in the CB position. Same way Laroucci was let go, Hoever could be ending up the same way too,.
I think Matip has just signed a new contract this season, so unlikely we are looking to move him on in the next year or two, unless he himself has decided he wants to go. I dont see why you assume that the arrival of Kabak would signal the selling of Matip - Klopp is on record as saying we need 4 CBs because they all get played. Selling Matip would mean we are back to having 3.

It makes a lot of sense for a young defender still learning his trade. at a club with financial problems, managed by a close friend of Klopp, and who idolises VVD. At 20, he has plenty of time on his side to join as 4th choice, and fight to become a starter.

Hoever, isnt thought of as being ready to play as CB for the first team. A move for this guy in no way is evidence of the club's lack of faith in him, and i wouldnt be comparing him with Larouci. Hoever was a highly reputable youngster when we signed him, and has shown more in his short time (albeit when playing as RB) here than Larouci has.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
A highly rated 20 year-old centre back with some experience in Bundesliga theoretically bridges that gap between Matip and Van Den Berg/Hoever (still think Hoever won't play CB at Liverpool but we'll see). If he's really that talented and wouldn't come too expensive, I don't see why Liverpool shouldn't sign him. Matip is made of crisps anyway, even though I love the way our giraffe man plays. Gomez has had serious injury issues and Van Dijk has missed about an hour of league football in last two years, he'll need resting from time to time.
One thing i miss when Matip is injured, is the threat from set pieces he offers. I feel that when he and VVD are together they offer more of a threat, than with Gomez (Gomez obviously has other attributes in which he does better than Matip, but it is a useful option to have).

nikz200

He was targeted by Bayern a year ago, i think, so he already had a good reputation before coming to Schalke.

Thats interesting to me as in the article he quotes the reason he didn’t join Bayern was that he wanted to play matches and chose to join schalke instead because of Wagner and the technical team in schalke. If he is that hype a player I’m wondering where the sharks are. You can bet that the moment we are this openly linked with someone, the boys in blue (city and chelsea) are not too far behind.

I agree we should not sell Matip but I doubt Matip himself will be pleased that we are bringing in a 20 year old centre back when his game time has already been compromised by Gomez being present. But either way I do believe we need 4 functioning centre backs for the reasons everyone has mentioned so on that end I agree with you we should hold on to Matip as well.

Hoever is a interesting one , mainly because while I haven’t seen him really have bad performances. Somehow Neco Williams has creeped through the vine to get even first team appearances towards the end of the season. Maybe its something we are not seeing with Hoever, or maybe there are loan plans put in place for him next season. Either way IF the club moves in a differing direction at centre back, it would be something telling about Hoever.

gasband

Ad-free Member
Unless they are looking at the young guy taking over from Matip within a year or two? That would make some sense. As hes still only 20 there's no rush on him settling in and getting up to speed but once he is it could be time to let Matip then move on and Hoever or VdB step up as 4th choice.
If we are selling Matip too, then yes I would get someone with similar quality of Matip, which is not that easy, and I am not sure Kabak for his potential, is anywhere near Matip's level yet, considering how good Matip was whenever he is in the team.

rab

This is FSG all over. I'm not calling it Moneyball but it's a perfect example of identifying potentially undervalued talent. Normally that means recognising something others don't see (Robertson) but in this case, it's about identifying a player that could be undervalued due other circumstances (Minamino).

In a normal market I bet someone (looking at City mainly here) would have probably paid £30m-£50m for him. But, if Schalke are in the scheisse and he could potentially be available for substantially lower than market value, even if it's more than we originally thought we might spend to replace Lovren, then it's smart recruiting at work.

gasband

Ad-free Member
For me the best balance for the 4 CBs in the squad would be 3 players who can play in the first 11, any time, that quality must be there regardless of age. And then with 1 who is either being developed for the future or as a backup when necessary. As we always say, if Klopp wants him, we want him. But from my point of view, its better to get a decent backup at a low price, depend on VVD, Gomez and Matip to be that 3 quality CBs and then hopefully, Sepp or Hoever can step up to be that 4th or even 3rd choice in 2-3 years time. I can understand the talk that Gomez and Matip injury records, but you cannot be buying players for that reason only, I think Klopp might have mentioned something along this line too. Not that buying a 20 year old CB who might be very good in future is not good, I just don't think we will do that, unless Matip is leaving or for some reason, Klopp don't think he can trust his current options to do the job. Its hard to see him spending 20-30 mil pounds on a potential, considering current conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.