• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rab

Ismaila Sarr anyone?

Just been relegated with Watford, absolutely tore us to pieces for two goals a month or so ago.

Should be a good price, would surely have a relegation clause and where better to come and learn his trade than under his mate Sadio's wing.

Definetly young enough that we wouldn't be pressing for a starting role yet but from the bench and to rotate for Cup games we could do a lot worse.
Issue with him is he'd be absent at the AFCON at the same time we'd lose Salah and Mane. I suspect Watford will want close to or more than the £30m they paid for him.

I'd be more interested to see us take another look at Joao Pedro who we were linked to heavily before. Not had many opportunities since arriving at Watford in January but their fans seem to think he's a far better player than those getting games ahead of him. Suspect his age, being relatively new to the country and the change of manager haven't helped him settle.

Mark Thurgood

I don’t think there’s any players that have been relegated to the championship that I’d be interested in. They were relegated with their respective teams because they were all very dreadful collectively. They ultimately went down because they was cr*p.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I don’t think there’s any players that have been relegated to the championship that I’d be interested in. They were relegated with their respective teams because they were all very dreadful collectively. They ultimately went down because they was cr*p.
Could have said the same over Wijnaldum, Robertson and Shaqiri.

Red over the water

I like the look of Sarr and he could go on to be a top level player. Already has tools to damage anyone, as we saw in our defeat against Watford, and with right coaching and opportunity to grow under Klopp, he could become special.

The point is well made about AFCON though. The counter to that is maybe AFCON is scheduled to not disrupt the league season, I know they looked at that. Also, I don’t think we can assume our more senior African players will be here indefinitely. I’m not pushing anyone out, but by the time Sarr is getting near to his prime, Mo and Sadio will be drawing their pension, so as a potential succession thing it makes sense, due to the age difference.

Raw player, but very talented. Could be of interest.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I was referring to the 3 relegated teams of this season, not past. Though I’m sure you knew that. :p
Yes and you could have said the following before signing those three too;

"They were relegated with their respective teams because they were all very dreadful collectively. They ultimately went down because they was cr*p."

In fact many did say similar at the time.

For what it is worth its a team game. A fantastic footballer can't show it unless the team around him enables him to.

Mark Thurgood

Yes and you could have said the following before signing those three too;

"They were relegated with their respective teams because they were all very dreadful collectively. They ultimately went down because they was cr*p."

In fact many did say similar at the time.

For what it is worth its a team game. A fantastic footballer can't show it unless the team around him enables him to.
I know I didn’t say that about teams of the past. There just isn’t anyone I’d be interested in if the 3 relegated sides.
Certainly no ‘I’ in team. I agree with you.

CymruRed

Ad-free Member
Linked with Barnes from Leicester. He needs to stay where he is right now. Great English winger and needs game time. He'll be in the same situation as Shaqiri if he comes. He ain't getting ahead of that front three.
Harvey couldn't hit the back side of a Barnes, no thanks!

I quite like the look of Harvey Barnes,he may not be the finished article but these are the types of players we look for,he's got a lot going for him and from what i've read Klopp likes his tracking and workrate amongst other things.

He has quite a few positives in general,played through U18,19,20 and 21's England youth levels and top scoring/joint golden boot winner at the U18 Toulon tournament.With the loss of Clyne and Lallana and in the not so distant future Milner,we've lost 2 English players from our European quota next season and another on his way,he's still only 22 and has potenial to play multiple roles on the Left Midfield/Attacking/Wing/forward positions.

He's only played 1 1/2 seasons so is still wet behind the ears,his stats aren't bad with 7 goals and 10 assists this year.Also take into account the Klopp coaching factor and training/playing with a higher level of player on a daily basis,this kid could be a special talent.

Edit: just to add,it's ok looking at players from the outside and how good they do for their clubs but alot of players we look at,we do it from an individual perspective,when we should be looking at how well they can intergrate into our team and play the role Klopp wants from them,more than anything as far as i'm concerned.

Last edited:

kiwiredman

This is my serious face

@Anfield rd Dreamer has cracked it I reckon.
Matip getting phased out to 4th choice due to his brittleness and age. He doesn't seem the sort of bloke to have a massive ego and a great team man, so hopefully won't bother him. Will make a fantastic 4th choice and with the succession plan outlined by ArD it looks like a winner.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
WTF is long term admirers mean. He has been mentioned once or twice but nothing substantial or even close to being accurate as a link.
Well, we've definitely been scouting them since we were drawn in the same CL group, we've also been scouting Minamino and probably Haaland for quite some time too. Then there's the fact we're tight with sporting director Ragnick and we're also taking much inspiration of the new training centre on theirs. Hard to imagine we wouldn't have noticed him and he looks an absolute star in the making.
Nothing leaks from the club side anymore so nobody has a clue who we admire really.

nikz200

Chelsea on a mission to improve. They want to add Rice, Havertz, Chillwell and a new keeper - in addition to the 2 they have already brought in.

Id have liked Havertz here
This many new players? And only one Left back..... jesus christ. Btw if they get Oblak as their new keeper I'm calling bullshit on their finances.

rab

Abramovic can afford to buy anyone he wants. Money is no object at Chelsea.
Sure but FFP isn't dead just because of that decision in favour of City. If anything I think UEFA will be examining big spenders finances even more closely to try and stop it happening again and to catch cheats earlier so they can bring cases before the five-year window expires.

Even with relaxed FFP regulations in 2020, those calculations will still be done, they'll just be combined with 2021 meaning a club can make more of a loss than normal but they'll still need to balance the books somehow.

Mark Thurgood

Cantwell, Ake and Sarr.

That's one from each of the 3 I'd take.
I wouldn’t entertain any of those 3 myself.

At a push I’d go for Ramsdale as cover for Alisson IF Adrian’s contract was up and he didn’t want to stick around as number 2 any longer. That’s at a push.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ake, Kelly and Brooks are probably good enough to play here. The first two as cover for Van Dijk/competition for Gomez and Matip and left back in a pinch, Brooks is a really good footballer who could make the step up. Had Bournemouth had these 3 available for the whole season they'd be well clear of the relegation zone.

Sarr would definitely add something to the squad and has plenty of potential.

Would only look at Cantwell and Buendia from Norwich, but I wouldn't be overly keen on either. Cantwell would fit in here but isn't necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.