The Unreliable Rumours Thread

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
It’s mentioned Adrian as well, not sure why anyone would think Adrian would leave, he is a back up goalie and better than Karius who thinks he can challenge Allison. Adrian is fine against most of the teams in the league, it’s when you put him against teams who can give you a game. That’s why Alisson Becker costs you 70m more he literally keeps you in the big ties.

We got unlucky in those Ath Madrid ties. scores 10 mins early it’s all different.

Calleher (apologies on the name) is fine but he is seriously too green to have as back up goalie.

And I’m not sure having to bring in a sub keeper is desirable, the only one I’d half consider if they had gone down would have been a return of Pepe Reina but they’ve stayed up and he is likely to have a chance at first team there.

We need back up options elsewhere so we should consider them.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
It’s mentioned Adrian as well, not sure why anyone would think Adrian would leave, he is a back up goalie and better than Karius who thinks he can challenge Allison. Adrian is fine against most of the teams in the league, it’s when you put him against teams who can give you a game. That’s why Alisson Becker costs you 70m more he literally keeps you in the big ties.
I think it is only being mentioned because there have been very loose links to Adrian returning to his home club in Spain. Similar to the way Milner is being linked to Leeds. I dont think there is any belief the club want him to move on.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Quoted in unreliable as your post may be removed from twitter thread.

Origi cast doubt on being here long term with some of his actions at the end of the season, almost like he knew he wouldn't be returning to Anfield etc but till then I was under the assumption he would be staying a year and we wouldn't do much incoming business. Not so sure anymore, even in a depleted market we've a lot of potential outgoings and we'd be buying and selling in same depleted market and could structure paymentssmartly. There's been a lot of speculation on Adrian going to Spain. Wouldn't surprise me but hoping if he does we end up with someone better not worse.
Thanks for moving, I hadnt noticed we were in the Twitter thread.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
I think it is only being mentioned because there have been very loose links to Adrian returning to his home club in Spain. Similar to the way Milner is being linked to Leeds. I dont think there is any belief the club want him to move on.
Adrian was saying something like "time to rest and go again next season" on social media so he isnt going anywhere.

Richard88

I'd be surprised if Adrian left. Apart from a bad miss-kick against Atletico he did pretty well overall this season. Let's not forget his form in the first 5-10 league games when Allison was injured. At that stage Man City and Liverpool were neck-and-neck and every point mattered, and Adrian had several really good games.

Red over the water

Adrian is about as good as you can do for a back up goalie. Experienced and in his own right a Prem level goalkeeper. The first 8 league games of the season, with Alisson out injured, were all won and it gave us a great foundation to go on and win the league, and Adrian did well.

Yes, he made a mistake at the wrong time in the CL game against Atletico, but such is life. Alisson probably wouldn’t have made that mistake, but then again, even the best goalies have mistakes in them, and Alisson has made one or two himself, though not when the stakes have been highest. But you can’t have two goalies at Alisson’s level at the club, just doesn’t work like that.

So Adrian then? Decent goalie, about as good as you can hope for in a number two, imo.

Richard88

I agree with all the names on that list being sold along with Lovren. That group, along with Lallana, Clyne, and Chirivella leaving on free's, would see 12 players depart. That may seem like a lot, but we had 9 players depart in 2019; 7 in 2018; 7 in 2017; 16 in 2016, so it's not that unusual to see that many departures.

Based on the team salaries from this site, the club will see a substantial amount of savings in wages by offloading a few high earners on the fringes of the squad. To be exact, £17.3m in base salaries, or £368,500 weekly, as shown in the table below. I also estimate that they'll make around £78m in player sales, using some conservative estimates.

Note that I've omitted the salaries of the loanees as they likely won't have been on the books for 2019/20 and wouldn't make any net difference should they move on. The fees in italics are best guesses on what they'd fetch should they be sold.

PlayerFeeBase salary (2019/20)Weekly salary (2019/20)
Dejan Lovren£11m£5.5m£110,000
Nathaniel Clyne-£3.8m£78,500
Adam Lallana-£3.12m£60,000
Xherdan Shaqiri£15m£3.38m£70,000
Loris Karius£6m--
Pedro Chirivella£1.5m£30,000
Marko Grujic£20m--
Harry Wilson£25m--
Ben Woodburn£2m--
Sheyi Ojo£4m--
Nat Phillips£4m--
Herbie Kane£2m--
TOTAL£11m + £67m (£78m)£17.3m£368,500

Sales go directly onto the books as profit, so this exodus should provide a timely financial boost to the club. When Klopp talks about needing to see how much money the club has before spending, I would hazard a guess that he is referring in part to how much the club will bring in in sales, as this will have a big impact on how much can be spent on incoming transfers.

Some of these savings will have been allocated to raises for the First XI, but there should nonetheless be enough to go around to bring in 1-2 first team players.

For instance, €30m on Kabak and €30m on Thiago (about £55m), with wages of £60,000 and £150,000 respectively (£210,000 combined) seems well within reason. And subtracting that from the £78m fees + £368,500 in wage savings leaves £18m + weekly £210,500 as profit that can offset lost match day revenue and pay for some other raises. And that's without even beginning to touch the revenue from the new TV deal, or PL and CL earnings.

Obviously this is a bit simplistic, and incoming transfers will be amortised over the length of the players contract, but it does illustrate that there should be scope to make a couple of nice additions to the squad this summer.

With Klopp scheduling a training camp in France to start pre-season on August 15th, I'd assume that he'll be keen to bring in the incoming players asap so that they can join the team and have a full preseason (though in Thiago's case that might be difficult due to the CL involvement with Bayern).

Last edited:

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Really brings it home.

Pedro chirvella is on 30k a week.

He’s not even making our bench.

30k.

That’s nothing against the guy, or the industry, but it’s astonishing that that’s what you can earn and your not quite even making our bench.

I wish him luck, out of interest, if he leaves to ***insert whatever club name you like here in whatever country**** to get first team football, does he hold his wage value, or would it drop.

I assume he’d be a Monty for a Portuguese team or mid table Spanish club.

iftikhar

Frm the BBC:

Liverpool are preparing a move for Bournemouth's Lloyd Kelly, 21, after missing out on the English defender 12 months ago when he was at Bristol City. (Express)

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp will also make a decision on 20-year-old English striker Rhian Brewster's next move following his successful loan spell at Swansea. (Liverpool Echo)
I wouldn't worry too much about their gossip round up.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Rumoured bid of 9mil for Aissa Mandi would make sense to me. As I mentioned, late 20s, good experience, decent player, low value, player would not expect to be playing week in week out, has stayed fit throughout his career, played alot in the last few seasons. Not necessarily him but this is the kind of player I think it make sense for us to get to be a backup while we have 3 top quality CB in VVD, Gomez and Matip and a few seasons for Hoever and Sepp to be groomed eventually into quality first teamers.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Rumoured bid of 9mil for Aissa Mandi would make sense to me. As I mentioned, late 20s, good experience, decent player, low value, player would not expect to be playing week in week out, has stayed fit throughout his career, played alot in the last few seasons. Not necessarily him but this is the kind of player I think it make sense for us to get to be a backup while we have 3 top quality CB in VVD, Gomez and Matip and a few seasons for Hoever and Sepp to be groomed eventually into quality first teamers.
He would also come and give without taking, which is a bonus.

However it should also be remembered that he’d kiss us and stop us from shaking, which I’m not sure is what anyone wants.

Richard88

I don't think the club thinks like that. They're probably more interested in signing players who's value will appreciate over the length of the contract.

Also if we look long-term we have Matip getting on at 28 and with a high proclivity for being injured, so in that sense it makes sense to bring someone in who is capable of competing for that position in the squad.

brush85

Its less about what they bring in and more about if there is even going to be a season. They could sell those players and end up having to use the funds or savings in salaries to pay existing commitments, if covid really does spike again.

So what makes transfer tricky, is that we wont have genuine confidence that the season will have a good chance of completion, until comfortably after the season starts.
Which is why the summer could be quiet.

Sweeting

Personally I wouldn't mind cancelling the resumption of football until we can have fans in the stadium again. Watching without supporters was like eating McDonalds - you feel great for the first 5 minutes and then you suddenly feel hungry and dissatisfied a few minutes later.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Seen talk of the young left back at Olympiacos Kostas Tsimikas so had a look to see what reports on him there were that went over playing style. Seems someone who would dribble down the wing throwing accurate crosses in all game but maybe a but weak defensively and average with his passing from what I'm reading and seeing.

Here's an article when he was linked to Leicester a bit earlier as a potential Chilwell replacement;

Seems extremely fast and hard working;

Anyone on here seen more of him?

brush85

Personally I wouldn't mind cancelling the resumption of football until we can have fans in the stadium again. Watching without supporters was like eating McDonalds - you feel great for the first 5 minutes and then you suddenly feel hungry and dissatisfied a few minutes later.
And how are we paying people if that happened?

Can see it now. Teams wont have the funds to pay players...City will buy them and have no issues with paying them even more than they already were getting.
If forced, then that along with real world problems come to the fore. But right now, its about keeping the head above water.

big noyd

leaking interest in kabak (& tapsebo) to show betis we have other options (while rattling gomez's cage a little) then coming in with a lowball offer for mandi seems like a good strategy, i've decided to believe that's what's happened

costared

TIA Reserve Team
What are the chances of Koulibaly or similar quality and playing 3 CB´s next season. Would allow Robbo and Trent to do their thing and might give Virgil the chance to get forward a bit more often.