• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

What are the chances of Koulibaly or similar quality and playing 3 CB´s next season. Would allow Robbo and Trent to do their thing and might give Virgil the chance to get forward a bit more often.
Robbo and Trent already "do their thing" in a back 4 system. We don't need a 3rd CB in our system since the DM (Fabinho/Henderson) or one of the No.8's drops deep anyways.

Red over the water

Agree with the notion that it’s all how the players are deployed. Back five can very much be a back three, adventurous, fullbacks essentially wingers, one of the three stepping into midfield, moving vertically up and down the pitch depending on the attack/defend situation.

Another version of back five can be a dour, unadventurous, Mourinho-esque type of set up... nick something on the break and try to hold on.

Any formation can be skewed more attacking or more defensive. Personally I love what we do at the moment. It’s a back four but our fullbacks are a lot like wingers, with lots of assists. Our back two pairing is so good that it can handle it, and we don’t need a three in that part of the pitch, though occasionally, Henderson or Fabinho sits at the base to add more security there, but generally they aren’t sitting in Van Dijk’s pocket to just receive a five yard pass. Our system is attacking, and if we sign Thiago it might even evolve a little more to take some of the onus off the fullback and be more creative through the middle, possibly in a Brazilian 4-2-2-2 style.

Even then it’s all about the movement. Formations, numerically speaking, represent a starting point and a basic frame of reference, but at a high level it’s all about the movement, engineering a 2v1 in a good area of the pitch, making the most of transitions, etc.

Liquid football, innit?

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I confess that 3 at the back is my favourite set up.

Depending on the players I would choose it every time. However, that was before Robertson and Trent showed it was possible to play as if they were wing backs protected by a back 3. With how we play and the players we have it's akin to playing 3 at the back with two wing-backs only we do it with 4 players, not 5. That's a real credit to our coaching and players because it's not like the deepest lying midfielder always drops back between the CBs to facilitate that. We just rely on the pace of Gomez and Virgil to snuff out any counterattack played long and in behind the fullbacks.

Last edited:

Noo Noo

I confess that 3 at the back is my favourite set up.

Depending on the players I would choose it every time. However, that was before Robertson and Trent showed it was possible to play as if they were wing backs protected by a back 3. With how we play and the players we have it's akin to playing 3 at the back with two wing-backs only we do it with 4 players, not 5. That's a real credit to our coaching and players because it's not like the deepest lying midfielder always drops back between the CBs to facilitate that. We just rely on the pace of Gomez and Virgil to snuff out any counterattack played long and in behind the fullbacks.
That's very true. When attacking we play with a 3-4-3. Losing the ball we stay in that formation for a short period before defaulting to 4-3-3. We even go 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 when defending sometimes.

I am honestly fascinated by these little nuances in tactics and in particular the triggers that instigate a switch from one to another. It gives a real insight into how complex the game actually is at the highest level.

Jamie91

352 would solve our issue if one of the front 3 got injured.

Alisson

Gomez
VVD
Fabinho

Thiago ( I know ! )

Trent
Keita
Wijnaldum
Robbo

Firmino/Brewster
Mane/ Salah

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

Alisson

Gomez
VVD
Fabinho

Thiago ( I know ! )

Trent
Keita
Wijnaldum
Robbo

Firmino/Brewster
Mane/ Salah
I was reading somewhere that we have actually being doing a similar tactic when in possession since the restart.. Basically utilising Fabinho dropping deeper in to the left center back slot, and Virgil/Gomez shifting across, this means he can utilise his range of passing and we are harder to breakdown on the counter.

Pep and Peter have both said they have been working on a new evolve of our tactics, so this could be it.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I was reading somewhere that we have actually being doing a similar tactic when in possession since the restart.. Basically utilising Fabinho dropping deeper in to the left center back slot, and Virgil/Gomez shifting across, this means he can utilise his range of passing and we are harder to breakdown on the counter.

Pep and Peter have both said they have been working on a new evolve of our tactics, so this could be it.
Spotted this in the games towards the end of the season. CBs split to cover the full backs, Fab drops in to make a three.

It’s obviously to counter the opposition targeting the vacant full back positions if the ball turns over while we’re on the attack.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Spotted this in the games towards the end of the season. CBs split to cover the full backs, Fab drops in to make a three.

It’s obviously to counter the opposition targeting the vacant full back positions if the ball turns over while we’re on the attack.
Yeah I read an article where they had screen grabs showing the back 3 clearly with Fabinho on the left. It must be far easier to defend than him having to go left/right etc. It also means in possession we can invite an extra player deeper giving Firmino more space in the middle.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Every formation can be used in an adventurous or restrictive way. That always depends on the manager involved. I think the stigma on the back 3 is because of how easy it can he used to be ultra defensive with 3 CBs, 2 FBs, 2 DMs, 1 CM and 2 forwards. But I can just as easily be used to enable all out attack with 1 CB, 1 RCB/RB, 1 LCB/LB, 1 DM, 2 CMs, 2 wingers and 2 CFs. Just there's a lot of very defensive "put a boot in" style managers that have used variations on the first and not as many gung ho "lets ave em" style managers that have used the other. So the initial reaction to seeing 3 CBs is one of assuming its safety first when in reality it depends on the choice of the other 7 players selected and how atracking or defensive they are.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial

Alisson

Gomez
VVD
Fabinho

Thiago ( I know ! )

Trent
Keita
Wijnaldum
Robbo

Firmino/Brewster
Mane/ Salah
Essentially sacrificing one of the front 3 for a mid. As pointed out, Fabinho will often drop in between the CBs already, so we do quite a lot of this. I think I'd rather take one of the mids off and try Elliot/Brewster with whichever 2 out of the 3 that are not theoretically injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.