• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
The way we play, 3 at the back doesnt really make sense for us. Our play is built on pressing high and with one less player in midfield or forward, it gets a whole lot harder to do.
Jurgen has suggested that we would be doing things a little differently next season.

spartacus136

We don't play with 3 at the back but we basically have 3 defensive players in our half include 2Cbs and Fabinho/Henderson. When our fullbacks attacks, our cm is their cover. However, i think 3 atb would make sense in case we lost Roberson, or Klopp want to rest him. I would love to see Ox in left wing back position , he has both speed and energy to be good option here.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Yeah I read an article where they had screen grabs showing the back 3 clearly with Fabinho on the left. It must be far easier to defend than him having to go left/right etc. It also means in possession we can invite an extra player deeper giving Firmino more space in the middle.
Link?

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
We don't play with 3 at the back but we basically have 3 defensive players in our half include 2Cbs and Fabinho/Henderson. When our fullbacks attacks, our cm is their cover. However, i think 3 atb would make sense in case we lost Roberson, or Klopp want to rest him. I would love to see Ox in left wing back position , he has both speed and energy to be good option here.
The average position for our DM is where most other teams average position is for an attacking mid so even though I get what youre saying, we still have Fab further up the pitch than a traditional DM most of the time to help with the press and its how he makes most of his interceptions rather than dropping deep near the CBs

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
The way we play, 3 at the back doesnt really make sense for us. Our play is built on pressing high and with one less player in midfield or forward, it gets a whole lot harder to do.
Agree, I don't really get what we would gain from it. I think a back four is a perfectly good starting point for what we do, as it allows us to sit in organised defence for short spells without becoming too defensive. With a back three, organised defence can easily become a back five - like Wolves' socalled 343 which often means 541 - and I don't see the point in that for this team. Maybe if we want to go ultra-aggressive in our defending though, and have that last line of three covering the width of the pitch.

In possession I don't think it would make any sort of difference. We often drop one of the midfielders down to create a line of three anyway, with full backs high and the other two midfielders as more central passing options.

Noo Noo

I think the point to all of this is that the better modern teams (unless you're a Roy Hodgson team) tend to be very fluid in their formations. In reality this whole debate is nothing more than where to put names on a piece of paper. It doesn't really matter. We are extremely fluid in our formation with no real set starting shape. Our formation changes to suit the game situation.

Other teams dont and I think they suffer for it. Roy Hodgson for example - rigid 4-4-2. Even Rogers teams tend to be very rigid in their shape whichs means it's no surprise when they run out of ideas.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I think the point to all of this is that the better modern teams (unless you're a Roy Hodgson team) tend to be very fluid in their formations. In reality this whole debate is nothing more than where to put names on a piece of paper. It doesn't really matter. We are extremely fluid in our formation with no real set starting shape. Our formation changes to suit the game situation.

Other teams dont and I think they suffer for it. Roy Hodgson for example - rigid 4-4-2. Even Rogers teams tend to be very rigid in their shape whichs means it's no surprise when they run out of ideas.
I think this nails the debate on formation. Fluidity means Fabinho stepping back into a three whilst the fullbacks get forward. When required. Against 442 formations that won't happen, but the fluid nature of play means it happens when required.
Putting the myriad of positions taken up by the players onto a traditional firmation doesnt work.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular

Yeah, it mostly makes sense from a defensive point of view. With the ball it doesn't make much sense, it's a game of movement as Zoran said.

[email protected]

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Everyone is an analyst these days and what's they're seeing is one of our fullbacks bombing on and our 6 shifting to cover them and boom, 'back 3, tactical shift, I'm a football genius'.
To be fair, Fabinho doesn't usually do that job very well. Henderson much better at it for example.

Fabinho looks to win the ball high up, and is incredibly good at it, but not the best at covering gaps and tracking runners.

Would probably need to see those halves again to get a good idea whether Fab was sitting deeper than usual or if it was just the odd occasion.

Noo Noo

Yeah, it mostly makes sense from a defensive point of view. With the ball it doesn't make much sense, it's a game of movement as Zoran said.
It still does, but we are still fluid.

When we attack we go 3-4-3 - full backs really high. We even instigate the press in this formation.

Defending, if the initial press has failed we default to a 4-3-3 or even a 4-4-2. I've even see us go 4-5-1 when under real pressure.

But I've also said there's fluidity. For example, when Robertson pushes on I've seen Milner drop in behind, especially when we know that we're up against a team that will try and hit that space.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
The TIA main site is linking us with Arsenal youngster, Florian Balogun, who's into the last year of his contract, and potentially available for £8m.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/...enal-youngster-who-could-leave-for-8-million/

That article links to one by SSN - https://www.skysports.com/football/...alogun-arsenal-demand-8m-for-brentford-target

I've never heard of him before. @Sweeting mentioned him about a month ago, when it was £7m.

Apparently, we're one of a number of clubs to have tracked him. Reading that articles, he doesn't sound much better than Brewster. The club have been good at buying youngsters from other clubs and selling them on for a profit, if they don't cut it here, so from that point of view, if he were to make it here, great, if not, fine.

Nothing to get overly excited about. I think we won't be making any moves for first team players until later in the transfer window. I am expecting Alcantara to sign once Bayern Munich's involvement in the CL ends.

Scouser268

TIA Youth Team
I don't get what are we waiting for exactly? In recent years, we have been the most prepared for the transfer window and maybe we still are, but it sure doesn't look like it. Klopp saying publicly we are waiting to see the market etc. is weird. We should have the money. So what's going on?

I'm afraid it's a missed opportunity if we don't strenghten this year, because we have the most leverage (everyone attacking player wants to play for Klopp, defenders would love to play alongside VVD or in front of Allison).

For me, it looks like we can only use money from sales and maybe 30M so that's why we are waiting because we're not sure if Grujič, Wilson, Shaqiri and others can be sold for a fair price to fund further moves.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
I don't get what are we waiting for exactly? In recent years, we have been the most prepared for the transfer window and maybe we still are, but it sure doesn't look like it. Klopp saying publicly we are waiting to see the market etc. is weird. We should have the money. So what's going on?

I'm afraid it's a missed opportunity if we don't strenghten this year, because we have the most leverage (everyone attacking player wants to play for Klopp, defenders would love to play alongside VVD or in front of Allison).

For me, it looks like we can only use money from sales and maybe 30M so that's why we are waiting because we're not sure if Grujič, Wilson, Shaqiri and others can be sold for a fair price to fund further moves.

I think the pandemic has really thrown everything in the air in terms of the value of players. Holding fire will allow the club to keep an eye on how things progress. If players want to come to Liverpool, and they know we want them, waiting a bit for the numbers to be right for the club is sensible. We are in a position of strength in that we are the Champions, have a stellar gaffer, and play some amazing football. Footballers will want to come to play for Liverpool, we can sit quietly and get on with business.

It might also weed out the players that have money higher on their priorities than choosing to be at Liverpool, such as Werner (who I was keen on).

Also think we are in safe hands with the scouting department, and Edwards striking the deals. They have found some gems for the club, and they've started doing business in a quieter fashion. I wouldn't be surprised if we get someone exciting out the blue in the coming weeks.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

I'm afraid it's a missed opportunity if we don't strengthen this year, because we have the most leverage (everyone attacking player wants to play for Klopp, defenders would love to play alongside VVD or in front of Allison).

While there was previously a need to move quick in the market and get signings done at the earliest opportunity under Klopp and Edwards, we didn't always do so, and are no longer needing to. So, i wouldn't worry about us not having signed anyone yet. We have until October to bring someone in.

I disagree that we have the most leverage. We have more leverage than perhaps we have had in the past, but we're probably not going to be signing anyone better than what we have currently in the starting 11, and we don't pay the highest salary - that's two reasons why players we have an interest in may not wish to come to us as their first choice.

Finally, yes, there is an open question whether our finances are as healthy as they looked to be before the Covid 10 pandemic hit. It makes sense for the club to determine how it stands and what the state of the market is.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I think the pandemic has really thrown everything in the air in terms of the value of players. Holding fire will allow the club to keep an eye on how things progress. If players want to come to Liverpool, and they know we want them, waiting a bit for the numbers to be right for the club is sensible. We are in a position of strength in that we are the Champions, have a stellar gaffer, and play some amazing football. Footballers will want to come to play for Liverpool, we can sit quietly and get on with business.

It might also weed out the players that have money higher on their priorities than choosing to be at Liverpool, such as Werner (who I was keen on).

Also think we are in safe hands with the scouting department, and Edwards striking the deals. They have found some gems for the club, and they've started doing business in a quieter fashion. I wouldn't be surprised if we get someone exciting out the blue in the coming weeks.
Just hit the nail on the head right there.

My gut feeling is that transfer prices will potentially drop in the coming weeks, so by keeping our cards close to our chest will allow Edwards to strike some sweet deals that no one saw coming

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I confess that 3 at the back is my favourite set up.

Depending on the players I would choose it every time. However, that was before Robertson and Trent showed it was possible to play as if they were wing backs protected by a back 3. With how we play and the players we have it's akin to playing 3 at the back with two wing-backs only we do it with 4 players, not 5. That's a real credit to our coaching and players because it's not like the deepest lying midfielder always drops back between the CBs to facilitate that. We just rely on the pace of Gomez and Virgil to snuff out any counterattack played long and in behind the fullbacks.
343 double diamond: the pinnacle in football, almost impossible to achieve unless you have a world-class player in every position. I remember cardiffpete waxing lyrical about that formation several years ago. :LOL:

Seriously, I think that at times, we aren't far away from that, but only in certain phases of the game, not all the time of course.

Last edited:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
343 double diamond: the pinnacle in football, almost impossible to achieve unless you have a world-class player in every position. I remember cardiffpete waxing lyrical about that formation several years ago. :LOL:

Seriously, I think that at times, we aren't far away from that, but only in certain phases of the game, not all the time of course.
You're not kidding me, I'm still only halfway through his post. I'll let you know when I get to a good bit...

Status
Not open for further replies.