• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Okay, but that is also a different team, formation, level. Also opponents like Estonia, Belarus. He's good with his head, can finish in other ways sometimes, but I don't think Barca (even this Barca) are bringing him as some sort of creative player. Plus, Koeman might not last the season, he's there as temporary option. I don't think he's got anything close to the power as it's been portrayed in the media.
That's why I looked at his contribution against Germany and France. But many teams in the Spanish League aren't exactly great. Think he'll be the most attacking of the midfield 3 there with a lot more freedom than any of our midfield 3 get. If there is truth to it.

Zoran

Good luck to Barca if that's the case. At least under Koeman. When Xavi takes over I don't see Gini having that type of role. Barca should have more use of his physicality and athleticism, being available... than something creative/goalscoring.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Barca doesn't need flair and creativity (they've bought an overabundance), they need meat and potatoes. Gini would go and presumably work his socks off in the middle for them, just like he does for us. Can't see him replacing a Messi sized hole for them, or him being anyone's choice to do so, including Koeman.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I wonder if the club might be amenable to a cut price deal for Wijnaldum if we can get another £100m ‘fuck off’ clause inserted re Barca.

Sort of taking a hit on Gini, but keeping Barca away from everyone else for a good few years.

Am I overthinking this?

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
I wonder if the club might be amenable to a cut price deal for Wijnaldum if we can get another £100m ‘fuck off’ clause inserted re Barca.

Sort of taking a hit on Gini, but keeping Barca away from everyone else for a good few years.

Am I overthinking this?
Not sure if either side would be good with this. We seem to need to fund Thiago transfer, so I'm assuming that's the starting price we'd quote. This isn't a huge splurge on a flashy player that would excite their fan-base, so doubt they'd go for another clause like the coutinho one.

Red over the water

Am I overthinking this?
Maybe. At some point Mo and Sadio will need to be replaced. The balance is not letting a world class player go too soon, so you can have the benefit of a world class player for a good run... but not too late either... so you can extract maximum value and reinvest it in the team.

There are only a handful of teams who could sign Mane or Mo and Barcelona are one of them.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Maybe. At some point Mo and Sadio will need to be replaced. The balance is not letting a world class player go too soon, so you can have the benefit of a world class player for a good run... but not too late either... so you can extract maximum value and reinvest it in the team.

There are only a handful of teams who could sign Mane or Mo and Barcelona are one of them.
I think Sadio and Mo will go on for quite a while. Both are in excellent shape and take their fitness very seriously. I could see them playing at this level with no drop off until their early thirties.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Barca doesn't need flair and creativity (they've bought an overabundance), they need meat and potatoes. Gini would go and presumably work his socks off in the middle for them, just like he does for us. Can't see him replacing a Messi sized hole for them, or him being anyone's choice to do so, including Koeman.
Messi plays on the right for them Gini plays centre attacking mid for Koeman. It'd have nothing to do with the Messi situation. More to do with Arthur and Rakitic leaving.

Kopstar

★★★★★★

Am I overthinking this?
I think you're under thinking it ;)

When we sold Coutinho we were still at a stage where we were vulnerable to our players being lured away. We hadn't won anything and it was only later we got to the CL final. It was important that we took steps to dissuade similar unwelcome approaches for enough time to allow us to build to a position of strength. We're now at that position of strength. We don't need similar clauses now, in fact it wouldn't be in our interests now.

We're now in a position where we need to consolidate and recycle. It's likely we'll need to sell a top player or two to fund that process of organic evolution. We'll need the interest of as many of the rich elite clubs abroad that we can get.

Red over the water

I think you're under thinking it ;)

When we sold Coutinho we were still at a stage where we were vulnerable to our players being lured away. We hadn't won anything and it was only later we got to the CL final. It was important that we took steps to dissuade similar unwelcome approaches for enough time to allow us to build to a position of strength. We're now at that position of strength. We don't need similar clauses now, in fact it wouldn't be in our interests now.

We're now in a position where we need to consolidate and recycle. It's likely we'll need to sell a top player or two to fund that process of organic evolution. We'll need the interest of as many of the rich elite clubs abroad that we can get.
That’s what I was saying! It at least, that’s what I would have liked to have said...

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Fuck, Barca paid 31mil euros for a 20 year old Portuguese who had one real full season with Braga...a 29 year old, CL winner, League winner, key player for champions, even with just a year left, no way he will go lesser than that

Limiescouse

Messi plays on the right for them Gini plays centre attacking mid for Koeman. It'd have nothing to do with the Messi situation. More to do with Arthur and Rakitic leaving.
Messi has recently been playing on the right for them. However, he has succesfully played in about 6 different roles in his time there, so there is no reason to think that new signings have to be made with a view to staying there.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Messi has recently been playing on the right for them. However, he has succesfully played in about 6 different roles in his time there, so there is no reason to think that new signings have to be made with a view to staying there.
I could imagine their default formation line up (based on what they are rumoured to be left with plus Gini) would be 433 or 4231 with 2 from Busquets, Pjanic and De Jong as the deepest 2 mids. 2 of Coutinho, Dembele and Fati in the wider positions. Griezmann up top. That leaves the most attacking CM role for Gini as a hard working number 10 expected to contribute goals. Obviously other players may leave and arrive but something like that makes sense to me as their plan A under Koeman.

JMac8

I was busy transferring some quotes from Klopp onto our future new home, and fell upon these here:

“I don’t read newspapers but everyone tells me: ‘You want to buy this player, this player, this player’. But development is to work with the players you have. It’s like if you have a problem with your wife, you don’t want to change every day!”

“Sometimes I feel I’m the only one in this country who believes in training, all others believe in transfers.”

“I’m completely different from the english philosophy of, we have to buy, we have to buy, we have to buy and its all about transfers because I believe in training.”

So there you have it, lads, we can all relax. If Gini stays, we win. If Thiago comes in and Gini goes, we win too. Training is the main word for us, not transfers. ;) (y)
These really are glory days that we may look back on as the last time we had success doing things the right way. Relative purity compared to our competitors. Let’s enjoy the Klopp years while they last

rab

I don't want to see Gini go by any means but it's a measure of how far this club has come in a short space of time that we're not just beholden to Barca, their whims and their unsettling tactics as we once were.

And by the same measure, we're reportedly the primary choice for a world-class player who is looking to leave the current European Champions. Not because he's on the decline and wants a final big payday but because he's seen first hand what we're about and he wants to be part of it.

That change in how we're perceived and our standing in the game now is a testament to all involved. Fucking massive as the kids would say.

And on Gini, I think his role will be whatever helps gets the best out of De Jong.

Limiescouse

Doesn't Barcelona need a midfield engine like the way Wijnaldum currently plays, rather than a creative midfielder?
Yeah, he is the perfect fit for what they are missing, and a downgrade on what they already have to play in a freer creative role. So many questions to be resolved at the club to have any clarity into what they'll look like next year, but a straight replication of what he does for us seems the best fit all around if he were to move there.

Last edited:

ptt

2020, head of the table.
I was busy transferring some quotes from Klopp onto our future new home, and fell upon these here:

“I don’t read newspapers but everyone tells me: ‘You want to buy this player, this player, this player’. But development is to work with the players you have. It’s like if you have a problem with your wife, you don’t want to change every day!”

“Sometimes I feel I’m the only one in this country who believes in training, all others believe in transfers.”

“I’m completely different from the english philosophy of, we have to buy, we have to buy, we have to buy and its all about transfers because I believe in training.”

So there you have it, lads, we can all relax. If Gini stays, we win. If Thiago comes in and Gini goes, we win too. Training is the main word for us, not transfers. ;) (y)
You got a postcode for this new home so I can put it in my satnav please?

Points for the first member to sign up after the announcement?

ptt

2020, head of the table.

Barca and Real, that’s about it. PSG are basically shite.

big noyd

can't imagine being a barca fan, but if i was, i'd probably see gini as a signing to help a lame duck manager begin implementing his vision

you have to accept that his fundamental responsibility, professionalism, & workrate will help the next manager too, and they're a bunch of babies

no doubt they'll treat him like shit, they're shitheads

vjcpatriot

Finally a new rumor. I'm hearing that Liverpool is interested in acquiring Patson Daka from Red Bull Salzburg.

The 21 year old Zambian striker scored a whopping 24 goals for Red Bull Salzberg, helping them to the Austrian league title.

He's young, athletic, explosive, and obviously has a finisher's touch.

Klopp could potentially shape this man into a future worldbeater. Could he be the heir to Bobby Firmino?

Sweeting

Finally a new rumor. I'm hearing that Liverpool is interested in acquiring Patson Daka from Red Bull Salzburg.

The 21 year old Zambian striker scored a whopping 24 goals for Red Bull Salzberg, helping them to the Austrian league title.

Klopp could potentially shape this man into a future worldbeater. Could he be the heir to Bobby Firmino?
Been waiting for this rumour ever since he scored against us the other week.

vjcpatriot

BuT WhAt AbOuT tHe AfCoN
1. We don't have to worry about AFCON for another 18 months.
2. Daka is primarily a CF so he would be an understudy for Firmino so if he's out for AFCON Bobby is obviously in. Wingers are a different story. Arguably he's a better fit than Sarr, because Sarr would also be out for AFCON if Salah and Mane are out.
3. The price for Daka is going to be cheaper than Sarr. Reportedly somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-25m rather than Sarr's 40m asking price. Getting arguably the same ceiling/potential for half the price? Yes plese.

ptt

2020, head of the table.

Looks like an effective and hard working version of Origi, Think the video’s creator played Top Trumps as a kid too ;)

FGred

He looks a carbon copy of Mane when he was at Southampton

Dutch

Ad-free Member
He looks a carbon copy of Mane when he was at Southampton
I find it hard to judge how good he really is since in these clips he is playing against other Austrian clubs who are not the best in the world but it looks as he can play a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.