• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikz200

Finally a new rumor. I'm hearing that Liverpool is interested in acquiring Patson Daka from Red Bull Salzburg.

The 21 year old Zambian striker scored a whopping 24 goals for Red Bull Salzberg, helping them to the Austrian league title.

He's young, athletic, explosive, and obviously has a finisher's touch.

Klopp could potentially shape this man into a future worldbeater. Could he be the heir to Bobby Firmino?
Maybe its just me i don't see what makes him an heir to Bobby. He seems by all intensive purposes like your everyday typical striker. I would think this kind of player, could be useful sure, but a world beater? Im not so sure about that.

Also wouldn't we be better off getting someone who can carry the ball better?

Red over the water

I think I could still score 6-10 a season in the Austrian league. OK I couldn't, but for arguments sake, I wonder how many Brewster would get in that league, and he is working hard to get in and around our first team.

Even so, it's another name to put into the mix. We have an elite recruitment team who will be looking at various metrics we won't be aware of to help them decide how good Daka is likely to become.

Heir to Bobby? Definitely not in terms of style, but could be an interesting shout.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Finally a new rumor. I'm hearing that Liverpool is interested in acquiring Patson Daka from Red Bull Salzburg.

The 21 year old Zambian striker scored a whopping 24 goals for Red Bull Salzberg, helping them to the Austrian league title.

He's young, athletic, explosive, and obviously has a finisher's touch.

Klopp could potentially shape this man into a future worldbeater. Could he be the heir to Bobby Firmino?
He looks good and seems to be more of a Suarez type than an heir to Bobby. I like the fact that the video seems to give a fairly honest portrayal of him as he seemed to miss as many as he scored. Maybe scoring 24 in the Austrian league isn't all that difficult if you have pace, and he certainly has that.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Nothing to do with LFC but this tweet made me laugh. The candor displayed by Napoli club president De Laurentiis. He pulls no punches and says things very matter-of-factly. Absolute no cage about him.

And this bit of candour as well:
De Laurentiis admits he regrets not selling 29-year-old Koulibaly sooner. (Manchester Evening News)
(BBC)

While I'm here .....
Liverpool will not let 23-year-old Welsh midfielder Harry Wilson leave on loan again despite interest from Newcastle, Leeds and Southampton. (Liverpool Echo)

nikz200

And this bit of candour as well:
De Laurentiis admits he regrets not selling 29-year-old Koulibaly sooner. (Manchester Evening News)
(BBC)

While I'm here .....
Liverpool will not let 23-year-old Welsh midfielder Harry Wilson leave on loan again despite interest from Newcastle, Leeds and Southampton. (Liverpool Echo)

Well, regarding him selling Koulibaly, it sometimes doesn't help when a player has reached this age, but for that team during their optimum time , he was necessary for the club. It all exploded eventually though from within, partially the owner to blame there as well. Im pretty sure someone will pay, but at what price would it be deemed acceptable in this current market for Koulibaly?

We know for a fact that Wilson is being shopped around , so a loan is out of the question. Either someone comes in and buys him or he just sits in the club till someone buys him. Curiously i do wonder how long Wilson has on his contract. It would be a shame to lose a player like this on a free. We should be able to recoup some money for him. Question is, who will be willing to meet our asking price, cause apparently that seems to be the current turnoff on Wilson, our asking price of him.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Well, regarding him selling Koulibaly, it sometimes doesn't help when a player has reached this age, but for that team during their optimum time , he was necessary for the club. It all exploded eventually though from within, partially the owner to blame there as well. Im pretty sure someone will pay, but at what price would it be deemed acceptable in this current market for Koulibaly?

We know for a fact that Wilson is being shopped around , so a loan is out of the question. Either someone comes in and buys him or he just sits in the club till someone buys him. Curiously i do wonder how long Wilson has on his contract. It would be a shame to lose a player like this on a free. We should be able to recoup some money for him. Question is, who will be willing to meet our asking price, cause apparently that seems to be the current turnoff on Wilson, our asking price of him.
Well, we don't have to sell him. Or perhaps we do. Who knows?

I doubt if buying buying Thiago is contingent upon selling Wilson so if we can't get more than 20 mil then maybe we should keep him for this season and get a better price next summer. According to Transfer Markt he's under contract until 2023 and they rate his fee at 17.5 million Euros as at April this year. I don't know how realistic their ratings are.

Given that the coming season will be pretty intense and difficult, with the exception of Origi I wouldn't try to sell anyone who isn't pressing for a move. We need an upgrade on Origi and that could be Brewster or someone completely unexpected.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

Neil Jones' update on fringe players' futures.
My view our transfer dealings are in a bit of a sequence;

Lovren Out --> Left Back In : Done
Fringe Players Out --> Sarr (or another wide attacker) In
If Gini Leaves --> Thiago In (not dependant on the above)

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
There are new loan rules coming in aren't There? Meaning clubs can have less senior players on loan? Might explain a degree of "clearing the decks"!

rab

About time for most of these guys. Clear none of them have a future here so loans really aren't doing us many favours other than clearing some wages off the books for a year.

10 out, a CB and wide forward in plus possibly Thiago if Gini goes. Would be pretty happy with that as a window. Quantity being replaced by quality and some pathways cleared for the next crop of youngsters.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
About time for most of these guys. Clear none of them have a future here so loans really aren't doing us many favours other than clearing some wages off the books for a year.

10 out, a CB and wide forward in plus possibly Thiago if Gini goes. Would be pretty happy with that as a window. Quantity being replaced by quality and some pathways cleared for the next crop of youngsters.
The loan system must be providing clubs some additional financial benefit. We've apparently earned back the fee for several guys who have spent time back on loan.

Although I agree, having some of them move on permanently would probably be better for their longterm career, and give us some cash.

Limiescouse

Nothing to do with LFC but this tweet made me laugh. The candor displayed by Napoli club president De Laurentiis. He pulls no punches and says things very matter-of-factly. Absolute no cage about him.

He's been fairly open about wanting to sell half of his side for 12 months now.
The loan system must be providing clubs some additional financial benefit. We've apparently earned back the fee for several guys who have spent time back on loan.

Although I agree, having some of them move on permanently would probably be better for their longterm career, and give us some cash.
It's also important to appreciate that making sure the likes of Wilson end up on their feet is a big part of the image we are trying to sell to potential recruits. 20 years ago I knew kids who went to Utd knowing full well they wouldnt make it there, but knew if they worked hard someone would take them on once Fergie was ready to ship them out.

Jah_Pool

BuT WhAt AbOuT tHe AfCoN
We need to stop using that as an excuse to sign some of the World's best players. We have Mane and Salah in our team and won the CL and the League. It also didn't stop Chelsea with Drogba, Essien, etc. Stop using as an excuse to sign players PERIOD

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
We need to stop using that as an excuse to sign some of the World's best players. We have Mane and Salah in our team and won the CL and the League. It also didn't stop Chelsea with Drogba, Essien, etc. Stop using as an excuse to sign players PERIOD
Yep, we should sign Messi despite the AFCON.

rab

No one on this forum pointing out the very real issue of buying African players for certain positions has any influence on transfers.

But the people who do will not be using it as an excuse but instead considering the very real consequences of losing too many of the squad for a mid season international tournament.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
A GK, a CB, a FB, a CM hell even an attacking mid/false 9 or CF you're right it shouldn't stop us. But we already lose our only two senior wide forwards to it. It should only be a damn exceptional player that should be signed for the wide forward positions if he will be taking part in the AFCON in 18 months. Because after going with only Salah and Mane for those roles for 3 years I can pretty much guarantee if we buy one this year the only way we buy another next year is if Mane or Salah are sold. If they aren't we will only have 3 senior wide forwards in the squad, play 2 of them every game possible, yet lose all 3 for anywhere between 3 to 6 weeks during what is traditionally a busy time domestically.

JMac8

A GK, a CB, a FB, a CM hell even an attacking mid/false 9 or CF you're right it shouldn't stop us. But we already lose our only two senior wide forwards to it. It should only be a damn exceptional player that should be signed for the wide forward positions if he will be taking part in the AFCON in 18 months. Because after going with only Salah and Mane for those roles for 3 years I can pretty much guarantee if we buy one this year the only way we buy another next year is if Mane or Salah are sold. If they aren't we will only have 3 senior wide forwards in the squad, play 2 of them every game possible, yet lose all 3 for anywhere between 3 to 6 weeks during what is traditionally a busy time domestically.
We spend a lot of time talking and stressing about AFCON given it’s never been an issue before. Think we lost Mané for a couple of games one year but that’s about it?

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan

I'm still following Klopp's word that it's going to be a quiet window. Klopp has always played with a straight bat in regard to transfers and I can't recall an exception to that.

We've covered our one problem position at LB, so the only other signing that will influence the first team squad will be if and only if Gini leaves, with Thiago coming in.

iftikhar

I think we will need a CB, unless Klopp thinks some of the young lads are good enough to step in for a few games.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
We spend a lot of time talking and stressing about AFCON given it’s never been an issue before. Think we lost Mané for a couple of games one year but that’s about it?
2019 was the first, and so far only, time it was held in the summer so wasn't a problem for us. 2021 is delayed till 2022 because of Covid disruption to the qualification process. So the last time it could have disrupted us the way it will in 18 months time is Jan 2017. Salah joined us the following Summer. As I said it isn't an issue having your AFCON competitors spread throughout your side. What is an issue is how reliant we are on 2 wide forwards to really hit top gear and currently we lose both to it. Since 2017 they've increased the number of teams playing in it so its expended now with more games and takes longer. As it was because Egypt won it in 17 Salah missed 4 league matches for Roma. In 17 we were quite lucky as Mane got knocked out early and only missed 7 games for us most in domestic cups. As I said when we recruit a wide forward if it is a truly exceptional player then ok sign them despite the AFCON issue and hope for the best. Not sure I've seen any truly exceptional players suggested though Sarr and Daka definitely don't seem in that category. Neither even on the levels Mane and Salah were on before we signed them.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
The AFCON is a consideration, just not as big an issue some of you are making out.

You wouldn't buy a lesser player just because you know he won't be unavailable for one 4 week stint over the next 4 years.
Nobody is saying buy a lesser player. But we are getting linked with a lot of AFCON forwards who are ok and may develop into great players but they aren't exactly special. There are just as good from Europe, Asia or the Americas. I'm not sure why you'd choose to give yourself a headache when you don't have to. Don't get me wrong a young Aubameyang or something you'd do it. But I'm just not seeing special and unique from the links.

Status
Not open for further replies.