• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Nobody is saying buy a lesser player. But we are getting linked with a lot of AFCON forwards who are ok and may develop into great players but they aren't exactly special. There are just as good from Europe, Asia or the Americas. I'm not sure why you'd choose to give yourself a headache when you don't have to. Don't get me wrong a young Aubameyang or something you'd do it. But I'm just not seeing special and unique from the links.
If there is a better player available or better value then you buy them for that reason, not because they're not African.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
If there is a better player available or better value then you buy them for that reason, not because they're not African.
If there are two players available, much the same for roughly the same value I wouldn't be picking the AFCON player right now. Assuming we are still talk of those wide forward roles. It would have to be a real special AFCON player for me to sign him and I'm not aware of any real special AFCON wide forwards right now except Aubameyang and the two we own. Maybe there's someone I've missed but guys like Daka and Sarr aren't particularly exciting ideas ignoring the AFCON issue so not sure why I'd ignore that issue for them. Anywhere else on the pitch I would not care at all.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
If there are two players available, much the same for roughly the same value I wouldn't be picking the AFCON player right now. Assuming we are still talk of those wide forward roles. It would have to be a real special AFCON player for me to sign him and I'm not aware of any real special AFCON wide forwards right now except Aubameyang and the two we own. Maybe there's someone I've missed but guys like Daka and Sarr aren't particularly exciting ideas ignoring the AFCON issue so not sure why I'd ignore that issue for them. Anywhere else on the pitch I would not care at all.
Why would they have to be 'real special'?

If they're at all better than the alternatives, you pick them instead.

Kopstar

★★★★★★

Yep, we're talking a tenth of the season at most. The gains of having the better player over 90% of the season more than outweigh their absence for 5-6 games.

[Also worth remembering that for now we're just talking about January 2022. AFCON after that is still scheduled for July 2023 I think.]

Last edited:

lfc.8

Skimmed through a few posts but its the absence of having a forward line not an individual player for 5, 6 maybe more games. That number of games can easily change a season. There's not much depth quality wise behind the front three as is and perhaps that might change which would offset the position.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

Yep, we're talking a tenth of the season at most. The gains of having the better player over 90% of the season more than outweigh their absence for 5-6 games.

[Also worth remembering that for now we're just talking about January 2022. AFCON after that is still scheduled for July 2023 I think.
The whole reason to buy a new wide forward is to back up and rotate with Salah and Mane. The one time we know we will need that is during the games those two will miss during the AFCON. Everything else is unpredictable. Buying a cover player who will not be available during the games the starters will be guaranteed to miss just makes zero sense to me. There are plenty of players out there that will be just as good as the likes of Sarr. It doesn't have to be an AFCON player. Why would you voluntarily make a problem for yourself when you don't have to?

Reactions: rab

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
The whole reason to buy a new wide forward is to back up and rotate with Salah and Mane. The one time we know we will need that is during the games those two will miss during the AFCON. Everything else is unpredictable. Buying a cover player who will not be available during the games the starters will be guaranteed to miss just makes zero sense to me. There are plenty of players out there that will be just as good as the likes of Sarr. It doesn't have to be an AFCON player. Why would you voluntarily make a problem for yourself when you don't have to?
For reasons already stated in the previous few posts.

rab

The AFCON is a consideration, just not as big an issue some of you are making out.

You wouldn't buy a lesser player just because you know he won't be unavailable for one 4 week stint over the next 4 years.
Today's team highlights the issue when one area of your team is largely made up of players who may be absent en-masse during the middle of the season. With the Europeans away our defence is very much make shift whilst up top we've got pretty much a first team attack.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Today's team highlights the issue when one area of your team is largely made up of players who may be absent en-masse during the middle of the season. With the Europeans away our defence is very much make shift whilst up top we've got pretty much a first team attack.
Signing a non-african doesn't bring Mane or Salah back. That is the real problem, the fact we'd be without two world class forwards. What they've given us over the years is more than worth it.

I disagree it's as big a problem as you and others. That's fine. No point going over it anymore.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Evoluem, Flu, avança (advancing?)... In this day and age, after reading these words put together, I'd be scared if I didn't speak Portuguese - and I don't speak Portuguese!

Anyway, Brazilians seem to like Liverpool (unless they develop back problems), so long may it continue. Good to see club snapping up talent from there at young age, though I am a bit puzzled at the number of young goalies club have at the moment.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Evoluem, Flu, avança (advancing?)... In this day and age, after reading these words put together, I'd be scared if I didn't speak Portuguese - and I don't speak Portuguese!

Anyway, Brazilians seem to like Liverpool (unless they develop back problems), so long may it continue. Good to see club snapping up talent from there at young age, though I am a bit puzzled at the number of young goalies club have at the moment.
It's so that when they all become PL level we'll loan them all out to other clubs in the league so that when we play them they have to play their second choice.

Klopp and Edwards, always thinking ahead.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Newspapers peddling unbelievable rumours. Who would've thought it?
(BBC Gossip page)
Bayern Munich midfielder Thiago Alcantara, 29, has dismissed reports linking him with a move away from the club this summer, despite the Spaniard attracting interest from Liverpool and Manchester United. (Manchester Evening News) (FFS, get this done.)

Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool are on fresh alert to sign Barcelona's French World Cup winner Antoine Griezmann, 29, after Lionel Messi's decision to stay at the Nou Camp. (Mail) (Yeah, right.)

Liverpool have told Barcelona it will cost them £15m if they want to sign Dutch midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum. (Mirror) (15 million!!!!!! WTAF!)

There's also something about Bristol City signing Alfie Mawson on loan from Fulham, which would seem to put paid to Nat Phillips going there.

Zoran

Might be a bit too late for Griezmann, part of me hoped he would leave Spain much sooner. Probably has one more good contract left in him, but it really has to be the right choice. Stuck too long at Sociedad, but then especially at Atletico, even the decision to go there. Barca was also a doubious decision, understandable, but tactically with Messi it was never going to work well enough. He's also a bit limited in terms of positions. Well rounded and responsible player, but really his best role is central, as a #10/second striker. The one he's playing for France, though that can happen also in different formations (I think France flipped to 3 at the back last night, wondered what they would do now without Matuidi).

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Newspapers peddling unbelievable rumours. Who would've thought it?
(BBC Gossip page)
Bayern Munich midfielder Thiago Alcantara, 29, has dismissed reports linking him with a move away from the club this summer, despite the Spaniard attracting interest from Liverpool and Manchester United. (Manchester Evening News) (FFS, get this done.)

Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool are on fresh alert to sign Barcelona's French World Cup winner Antoine Griezmann, 29, after Lionel Messi's decision to stay at the Nou Camp. (Mail) (Yeah, right.)

Liverpool have told Barcelona it will cost them £15m if they want to sign Dutch midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum. (Mirror) (15 million!!!!!! WTAF!)

There's also something about Bristol City signing Alfie Mawson on loan from Fulham, which would seem to put paid to Nat Phillips going there.
Wow! Alfie Mawson what happened to him? I remember a lot of talk a few years ago about him breaking through but it looks like he has gone backwards..

Red over the water

15M for Gini? Nope, nada, no way. I would much rather keep him for the remainder of his contract than let him go for such a measly sum.

Just thinking out loud now, but are there any interesting players at Barcelona we might like, even if it is a loan deal, if Wijnaldum goes there? Dembele on loan? No longer the 100M+ player he was, but there's an intriguing sense that he could possibly recapture something that would be very useful to us, and if not, he goes back to Barcelona at the end of his loan.

If we are in the market to buy a wide forward, Dembele would not be the one I'd go for at this stage. But if money is tight and times are uncertain, a loan might be the way to go? At that point, just trying to think if there's anyone at Barcelona who might be of use to us, as some sort of attachment to the Gini deal?

Last edited:

Red over the water

PS - I'm not a big fan of Griezman, certainly not at the sort of money he went for. He's a decent player, but I think what we need is some pace and incision from the flanks to back up Sadio and Mo.

Red over the water

The next AFCON in January 2022 might well coincide with a proper mid season break, if the Prem ever gets its act together with that. As Kopstar said above, AFCON is due to go back to summer the year after.

It's a factor, when looking at African players, but I think we slightly overplay it on the Liverpool discussion boards. It's a few games, and if you have a good player in mind who can help your team and squad, you don't forego the opportunity on the basis of a few games.

The other thing is that when AFCON is in full swing again, it is very possible that one of Mo and Mane will be looking to pastures new, a new league, possibly sunnier climes, a last big contract, having won everything with us?

Anyway, it's a factor, but not necessarily the determining one.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Did you know you can continue arguing with @Anfield rd Dreamer about squad composition, AFCON, and possible transfers over at The Anfield Noise?

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Did you know you can continue arguing with @Anfield rd Dreamer about squad composition, AFCON, and possible transfers over at The Anfield Noise?

Yeah I'd really encourage the posters who have already made the transfer to move over to the new forum instead of continuing to post here. Those who haven't yet made the transfer: ask for an invitation in The Anfield Noise transfer thread . Cheers!

vjcpatriot

There's noise that Liverpool might sell Rhian Brewster. Is this a mistake or is this Liverpool's only option because they haven't managed to unload Harry Wilson? We'd better be getting at least 30m with a buyback clause on Brewster. I might be wrong but outside of Harvey Elliot, Brewster appears to be the only Academy product who could one day soon make the 1st team.

Status
Not open for further replies.