• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Reported in the general summer transfer thread, but surely needs to be highlighted here as well - Stoke agreed a £12m fee with Inter for Shaqiri.

Being reported by the Guardian, Mirror etc, so seems legit.

Stunning signing for them if it happens... can't believe we didn't get involved for that. Bring in Shaqiri, loan Markovic out, and the squad looks that much better for it imo.

kipland007

TIA Youth Team
Reported in the general summer transfer thread, but surely needs to be highlighted here as well - Stoke agreed a £12m fee with Inter for Shaqiri.

Stunning signing for them if it happens... can't believe we didn't get involved for that. Bring in Shaqiri, loan Markovic out, and the squad looks that much better for it imo.
Just came here to write the same thing. I doubt there will be a much better "value for money" signing than Shaqiri for 12m this summer, if it happens.

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General

Shaqiri and Bojan - not a bad attacking line - they just need to improve the other players around them! (though they still did better than us in the last game!)

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin

Liverpool should have really gone for Griezmann instead of Marković last summer. Now look at the season he's had, even without comparing it to Marković's. Now there are rumours of Marković being available for transfer. Like someone said, our club did the very opposite of Moneyball philosophy - buy them when they are young and expensive after a break-out season, then let them struggle and sell them for a major loss. Hopefully this summer is polar opposite to the last one when it comes to our transfer strategy.

Dave-D

Just came here to write the same thing. I doubt there will be a much better "value for money" signing than Shaqiri for 12m this summer, if it happens.
Couldn't Markovic loan and Sterling leaving allow Liverpool to sign Shaqiri, also with the sale of Shaqiri will that allow Inter to dig their heels in over Kovacic if Liverpool are even after him.

kipland007

TIA Youth Team
Liverpool should have really gone for Griezmann instead of Marković last summer. Now look at the season he's had, even without comparing it to Marković's. Now there are rumours of Marković being available for transfer. Like someone said, our club did the very opposite of Moneyball philosophy - buy them when they are young and expensive after a break-out season, then let them struggle and sell them for a major loss. Hopefully this summer is polar opposite to the last one when it comes to our transfer strategy.
Honestly, I never understood what was so fascinating about Markovic. Griezmann or Shaqiri were much stronger options in my opinion. We obviously missed the boat with the first but I don't see why we aren't still trying to strengthen.

Couldn't Markovic loan and Sterling leaving allow Liverpool to sign Shaqiri, also with the sale of Shaqiri will that allow Inter to dig their heels in over Kovacic if Liverpool are even after him.
I think regardless of what happens with Markovic we should look to add another wide player. With Sterling presumably leaving we really only have Ibe and Markovic, and both are still young and bound to be inconsistent. While Firmino and Lallana should be able to provide some cover, there's no reason we can't add a third to our squad. Shaqiri is immensely talented and brings a level of technical ability we don't have. Seriously can't understand why we (or other teams) aren't even remotely interested...

Kanonkop

Very true. Can = Good signing, Markovic = bad signing in that respect. Why on earth we thought Markovic was worth £20m is beyond me. £8m would have been more realistic.

Limiescouse

I wont believe there Stoke thing has any legitimacy until I see him in their shirt. It's just too preposterous to even consider.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
If Shaqiri goes to Stoke, maybe that also tells us something about him? I am not saying I am sure but he had his chance at Bayern and if Bayern has too many good players, Inter surely was less competitive. To me, getting rid of Markovic and then spend money to bring in Shaqiri? How sure are we that the current Shaqiri will be any better than Markovic (not saying Markovic is fantastic)

kipland007

TIA Youth Team
I think fittingly, the rumors have all been "Stoke agree fee with Bayern" rather than "Shaqiri agrees to join Stoke." I'm sure he doesn't want to go there, but if the alternative is sitting on the bench at Bayern it may be his best option. Hopefully we swoop in and poach him for that fee - it would certainly be a lot risk signing, and I'd imagine he'd rather play for us than Stoke.

LFCIsMyNumberPlate

I think fittingly, the rumors have all been "Stoke agree fee with Bayern" rather than "Shaqiri agrees to join Stoke." I'm sure he doesn't want to go there, but if the alternative is sitting on the bench at Bayern it may be his best option. Hopefully we swoop in and poach him for that fee - it would certainly be a lot risk signing, and I'd imagine he'd rather play for us than Stoke.
He doesn't play for Bayern mate.

Limiescouse

I dont know, Technically Bayern havent been paid yet as the terms of the January deal were an initial loan with obligation to buy in the summer, thought be 15 million Euros. I dont know how these deals work, but if Inter really do want to go in another direction I wonder if they could legally walk away as long as they find another buyer at that value?

Jawaril

If Shaqiri goes to Stoke, maybe that also tells us something about him? I am not saying I am sure but he had his chance at Bayern and if Bayern has too many good players, Inter surely was less competitive.
It'll be another Gaston Ramirez.

He Drinks Sangria

If Shaqiri goes to Stoke, maybe that also tells us something about him? I am not saying I am sure but he had his chance at Bayern and if Bayern has too many good players, Inter surely was less competitive. To me, getting rid of Markovic and then spend money to bring in Shaqiri? How sure are we that the current Shaqiri will be any better than Markovic (not saying Markovic is fantastic)
I agree there must be a reason all of the top-to-mid-table teams around Europe are letting him fall to Stoke but he's a much better player than Markovic. Shaqiri's problem is consistency; sometimes he's brilliant, sometimes useless, but there's something to work with. Markovic is just consistently mediocre.

Red&War

I agree there must be a reason all of the top-to-mid-table teams around Europe are letting him fall to Stoke but he's a much better player than Markovic. Shaqiri's problem is consistency; sometimes he's brilliant, sometimes useless, but there's something to work with. Markovic is just consistently mediocre.
I don't think its fair to say hes Mediocre because he hasn't really been given an opportunity to prove his worth. I think we should loan him out to a smaller premier league club were he will get games, Swansea comes to mind, see if hes got what it takes in the prem before we sell him on.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Precisely, Shaqiri has his own problems and that is probably why he is not making it at the bigger clubs. So why spend money to exchange one problem (Markovic) for another (Shaqiri).

He Drinks Sangria

I don't think its fair to say hes Mediocre because he hasn't really been given an opportunity to prove his worth. I think we should loan him out to a smaller premier league club were he will get games, Swansea comes to mind, see if hes got what it takes in the prem before we sell him on.
He's been mediocre for Liverpool, that's for sure, and I wasn't overwhelmed by what I saw of him at Benfica, to be honest. A loan move is probably what's best for him and the club.

Precisely, Shaqiri has his own problems and that is probably why he is not making it at the bigger clubs. So why spend money to exchange one problem (Markovic) for another (Shaqiri).
Totally agree, just fancied a pop at Markovic.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Probably should have done that before we spent 20M on him in my opinion mate.
Seems Shaqiri is available which seems a surprise given he has only moved there. Given that we seemed to be have been interested in him before maybe we will go back in for him. Same could be said for Konoplyanka I suppose.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
I dont know, Technically Bayern havent been paid yet as the terms of the January deal were an initial loan with obligation to buy in the summer, thought be 15 million Euros. I dont know how these deals work, but if Inter really do want to go in another direction I wonder if they could legally walk away as long as they find another buyer at that value?
Similar to the deal we had with Sevilla for Aspas then. Loan with obligation to buy. Maybe Inter have to buy him first and then can shift him immediately, like Sevilla apparently did..?

stroller01

TIA New Signing
E
Exactly
Got to ask why he didn't make it in Italy. Also understand he has attitude issues

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I would be against writing off Markovic just yet I think he offered enough at times but then I said the same about Manquillo and we have changed our mind on him.

The players we should be actively flogging are those we chose not to play even when we have no choice

okocha10

Football Master

I must say i'm quite happy we didn't go after that midget. I have several reasons for that:
1. He often ignores defensive work(still it's not like he can do much).
2. We have enough small players in the squad already. We need muscles not mini Johnny Bravo.
3. Already refused LFC once wich he publicly admitted.
4. Obviously his ambitions are different from ours if he wants to play for Stoke.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Just regarding that Shaqiri rumour: I know that it's on the bbc and so that Stoke and Inter have agreed a fee, but let's look at the facts here: the player himself has no idea about anything, as just quoted in a usually reliable Swiss media, and Mancini has repeatedly stated that he counts on him for the coming season.

I for one am convinced that it is a hoax.

IF it isn't though, then our club has the moral duty to try getting him. Not doing so and watching him go to Stoke would be criminal, given that we still lack genuine quality in our team. It was already idiotic to let him go to Inter last January, so passively watching him move again would be incredibly dumb. But I'm 99% convinced that he'll stay put there for the time being.

(As for some of the nonsense written in some posts above about Shaqiri and his alleged shortcomings, I can only shake my head... @okocha10, shame on you, mate, shame on you... ;-)