• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

He Drinks Sangria

No we missed out on a player who agreed to join Stoke. Let that sink in.
You can't really say we missed out when we weren't after him in the first place.
It was posted on the last thread but yes, it's obviously nonsense.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I would be against writing off Markovic just yet I think he offered enough at times but then I said the same about Manquillo and we have changed our mind on him.
I havent written either of them off. I think they still have bright futures, hopefully at our club.

LiverpoolRed

Come on Redmen!!
Very strange transfer. Coming off a good world cup he joined a good Bayern side and couldn't break in then went to Inter where he had limited time. Maybe Stoke have just completed a good bit of business considering he was a hot property a few short years ago. Surprised a team like Spurs
didn't want him.

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Very strange transfer. Coming off a good world cup he joined a good Bayern side and couldn't break in then went to Inter where he had limited time. Maybe Stoke have just completed a good bit of business considering he was a hot property a few short years ago. Surprised a team like Spurs
didn't want him.
Say it all really, Spurs didn't go for him tells me that he flatters to deceive

Limiescouse

No. We missed out on a player the selling club didn't want to sell, We became available in the following window, but as we'd bought other players for that role we had no need to go back in.

Very strange transfer. Coming off a good world cup he joined a good Bayern side and couldn't break in then went to Inter where he had limited time. Surprised a team like Spurs
didn't want him.
His signing was announced in the spring before the 2012 Euros. He played a fair bit in their treble winning season without ever become first choice and then increasingly lost favour under Pep the following year. He played pretty much every game since joining Inter and while he wasn't very productive it seemed like he was doing ok given they were a pretty crap side. If he is leaving Inter already, and I still have massive doubts about the veracity of this story, then I can only imagine that Mancini simply hadnt been there long enough to have any say in their January moves, and now he's trying to clear the decks of the things that are easy to clear to get the side he wants.

Keeno

TIA New Signing
No. We missed out on a player the selling club didn't want to sell, We became available in the following window, but as we'd bought other players for that role we had no need to go back in.

His signing was announced in the spring before the 2012 Euros. He played a fair bit in their treble winning season without ever become first choice and then increasingly lost favour under Pep the following year. He played pretty much every game since joining Inter and while he wasn't very productive it seemed like he was doing ok given they were a pretty crap side. If he is leaving Inter already, and I still have massive doubts about the veracity of this story, then I can only imagine that Mancini simply hadnt been there long enough to have any say in their January moves, and now he's trying to clear the decks of the things that are easy to clear to get the side he wants.
I mean he is now agreeing to join a Stoke. Munich to Inter Milan to.....Stoke City.

In other words we could have dodged a bullet.

Limiescouse

The new Prem deal is screwing with the market. Marseille were challenging for the title last season and have now lost 2 players to Swansea and one to West Ham, with more likely to follow. Cabaye is a French international linked in numerous windows to Utd and Arsenal is now likely to join Palace. The market place has become warped. I'm still not sure I believe that Shaqiri is actually going to join Stoke though.

LiverpoolRed

Come on Redmen!!

SupaLFC96

I mean he is now agreeing to join a Stoke. Munich to Inter Milan to.....Stoke City.

In other words we could have dodged a bullet.
Ah.....ur talking down Stoke? My last memory is 6 goals flying into our net. I think they just scored again.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Ah.....ur talking down Stoke? My last memory is 6 goals flying into our net. I think they just scored again.
I think we will batter Stoke in the upcoming season. The team is going to be set up purely to press and attack and with Benteke (if he is signed), and Milner and Can being brought into the midfield we are going to have a lot more muscle than in previous seasons.

cynicaloldgit

Green, not greed
Ad-free Member
Maybe he chose the side that won 6-1 over the one that lost 1-6.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I havent written either of them off. I think they still have bright futures, hopefully at our club.
I meant in general terms wasn't referring to yourself.

Anyhow I do find the attitude towards Stoke amusing after what they did to us 2 months ago.

Art Morte6

I don't think as of now Shaqiri has agreed to join Stoke. Inter have only accepted Stoke's bid, but the player may turn down the move yet.

Drubas

Just regarding that Shaqiri rumour: I know that it's on the bbc and so that Stoke and Inter have agreed a fee, but let's look at the facts here: the player himself has no idea about anything, as just quoted in a usually reliable Swiss media, and Mancini has repeatedly stated that he counts on him for the coming season.

I for one am convinced that it is a hoax.

IF it isn't though, then our club has the moral duty to try getting him. Not doing so and watching him go to Stoke would be criminal, given that we still lack genuine quality in our team. It was already idiotic to let him go to Inter last January, so passively watching him move again would be incredibly dumb. But I'm 99% convinced that he'll stay put there for the time being.

(As for some of the nonsense written in some posts above about Shaqiri and his alleged shortcomings, I can only shake my head... @okocha10, shame on you, mate, shame on you... ;-)
First off, why do you rate shaqiri? What has he done in his carreer to prove his worth to you?

Second, where does he fit in? He is a cam. He is not very good on the sides and not good enough as an attacker. With Cou, Milner, Can, Lallana and Firmino wanting to play in the middle, where does he fit in?

Third, I do not think we lack genuine quality. Cou, Firmino, Milner are top PL quality.

Jah_Pool

I would much rather we have spent 12 mill on Shaquiri than the 20 mill on Markovic or that other giant turd, Lovren.

Drubas

I would much rather we have spent 12 mill on Shaquiri than the 20 mill on Markovic or that other giant turd, Lovren.
And you can probably find 20 other players the last 10 years, where Shaqiri would have been a better signing.

The question is - what about here and now? Let's say Shaqiri is available for £12.5m . Should we go for him? The way I see it our priority right now should be:
  1. Attacker
  2. Holding midfielder with defensive qualities
And if I were to make a wish-list what positions I want after that, I'd go with:
  1. Left back. A more defensively reliable fullback, and backup if Moreno gets injured.
  2. A left side winger/midfielder/AM

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
First off, why do you rate shaqiri? What has he done in his carreer to prove his worth to you?

Second, where does he fit in? He is a cam. He is not very good on the sides and not good enough as an attacker. With Cou, Milner, Can, Lallana and Firmino wanting to play in the middle, where does he fit in?

Third, I do not think we lack genuine quality. Cou, Firmino, Milner are top PL quality.
I won't write again why I rate the lad, as I've done it extensively enough in the past. Let me just tell you that I have watched and still watch him on a regular basis, and that he's a genuine gem when fit, one of the few players in the world who can make something happen out of nothing.

The key for him though is to keep his fitness, as he has had his niggles in the past. If he had Suarez' or Messi's body, he would be a regular at Bayern without a single doubt. If he can stay fit next season, he'll be Inter's best player next season.

As for that Stoke rumour, forget it. He'll never move there, and I for one can't see why Inter would want to sell him now already, especially with Mancini a fan of the lad.

Edit:

On his position, he's best when being allowed to roam around the pitch in a free role, either as a second forward, or as a false winger coming inside. A quick look at his stats will probably give you every answer you need (http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/xherdan-shaqiri/leistungsdatenverein/spieler/86792).

Have a look at his goal- and assist-stats at Bayern, and divide it with the number of minutes played (he mostly came in as a sub)... none of our players can boast such a record, not even Firmino.

Last edited:

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
These Benteke rumors are doing my head in. Why in the world would you want to sign someone like that?

I get it, he is considered as a PL proven striker but one who only plays well for 6 months.

Scored 13 league goals last season, 2 in the first half of the season. Netted only 10 times in 2013-2014. His best season was 2011-2012 where he scored 19 league goals, only 5 in first half of the season.

Signing an inconsistent forward is a mistake we cannot afford to make.

More importantly, Liverpool’s style of play does not suit Benteke one bit and vice versa. Villa has used him as the target man, providing him long balls and crosses while Liverpool like to keep the ball on the ground and find through balls.

Out of 13, Benteke scored 4 headed goals last season and in 2013-2014, Out of 10, he scored 5 headed goals.

Last but not the least is his price tag. Benteke has a release clause of massive 32.5 million pounds and Villa are not ready to accept any price lower than that. Even at 25m, Benteke will be a costly buy when clinical goalscorer like Lacazette can be bought for less.

LFCIsMyNumberPlate

Last but not the least is his price tag. Bent Eke has a release clause of massive 32.5 million pounds and Villa are not ready to accept any price lower than that. Even at 25m, Benteke will be a costly buy when clinical goalscorer like Lacazette can be bought for less.
Are you pissed?

Gazmaninaus

These Benteke rumors are doing my head in. Why in the world would you want to sign someone like that?

I get it, he is considered as a PL proven striker but one who only plays well for 6 months.

Scored 13 league goals last season, 2 in the first half of the season. Netted only 10 times in 2013-2014. His best season was 2011-2012 where he scored 19 league goals, only 5 in first half of the season.

Signing an inconsistent forward is a mistake we cannot afford to make.

More importantly, Liverpool’s style of play does not suit Benteke one bit and vice versa. Villa has used him as the target man, providing him long balls and crosses while Liverpool like to keep the ball on the ground and find through balls.

Out of 13, Benteke scored 4 headed goals last season and in 2013-2014, Out of 10, he scored 5 headed goals.

Last but not the least is his price tag. Benteke has a release clause of massive 32.5 million pounds and Villa are not ready to accept any price lower than that. Even at 25m, Benteke will be a costly buy when clinical goalscorer like Lacazette can be bought for less.
If you are going to copy someone else, at least acknowledge them as the author, especially when its word for word.
http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/780893594?-19388:814:0

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Shaqiri is a luxury we don't need, great player no doubt, think he is built for the Premeir League and would thrive here but unless one of Lallana Ibe or Markovic is leaving the club then I don't really see the need to bring him in.

TBH I don't see any way he joins Stoke either, a fee might be agreed but unless he wants the move it won't happen.

Regarding the other comments Lacazette will cost more than Benteke without a doubt, he is almost at the point where he can pick the team he wants to go to and that will be a top wage paying CL club like PSG, City or even Madrid. I would love to have him he'd be perfect for us but I can't imagine we are in the running given our status outside the CL and our inability to compete with other clubs on wages.

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
Shaqiri is a luxury we don't need, great player no doubt, think he is built for the Premeir League and would thrive here but unless one of Lallana Ibe or Markovic is leaving the club then I don't really see the need to bring him in.

TBH I don't see any way he joins Stoke either, a fee might be agreed but unless he wants the move it won't happen.

Regarding the other comments Lacazette will cost more than Benteke without a doubt, he is almost at the point where he can pick the team he wants to go to and that will be a top wage paying CL club like PSG, City or even Madrid. I would love to have him he'd be perfect for us but I can't imagine we are in the running given our status outside the CL and our inability to compete with other clubs on wages.
I think the price being thrown around for Lacazetter is £35m. A few million more than Benteke but he's definitely worth it. The problem obviously is whether he would want to come to a club that is not playing in the Champions League. I don't think we'd have to compete against the likes of City, Madrid of PSG for his signature this season. Maybe Arsenal but that's about it.

grenadier

TIA New Signing
Shaqiri is one of those players who people think is really good, but has a history at clubs that suggests otherwise. He's failed at top clubs and if nobody big is after him, there's obviously a reason. Personally I've watched him a reasonable amount and think he is best avoided. He can do magical things with the ball, but he definitely can't be arsed trying to win the ball in the first place.