The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Nikola, Jun 30, 2015.

1. rab

rab Well-Known Member

Because it sums up a reasonable proportion of the posts in here. However, it isn't my personal view. I think the only players I've avidly been against signing have been Balotelli and Sturridge and I was more than happy to be proved wrong on one of them.

Anyway, I appreciate some people would have welcomed those players last year and been open to giving them a chance. Would those chances have been as short lived as Karius was, we'll never know. But there seems a far greater desire than ever amongst posters to spend big money and anything but that outcome is "proof" of moneyball or penny pinching or FSG being useless or Edwards being out of his depth.

The irony being two of the most in demand players amongst posters were both looked at last year when few had heard of them but had we got them I doubt the fans would have been that happy if they'd come instead of the £60m we spent on Gini and Mane.

The post was based on my observations of posts on here. I do a lot more reading than posting. To me it's reflective of a truth amongst a section of fans and posters, not all.

2. redbj

redbj hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

Rabs post just talks about penny pinching and fume.

Regardless, even if I've misunderstood the post, which I'm sure I haven't, but even if I did, I maintain, the discussion would have been interesting and insightful....maybe I'm guilty of overrating this place? But I think most subjects are discussed in an interesting and respectful way..in the main.

I just don't see any situation where we sign mbappe and keita last summer that the forums hit 'fume' status.

And claims of FSG penny pinching ( if that's all we signed, mind) would have made a pretty interesting subject.

You can actually have it either way if you like, I still maintain the forums wouldn't have turned to a fume.

3. redbj

I'm happy to respectfully agree to disagree.

4. rab

rab Well-Known Member

You've taken this wrong.

But, if you think signing a teenager from France and a bloke from the Austrian league instead of Mane and Gini wouldn't have seen the knives out on here for all manner of people at the club then I think that's a little naive.

Chewbazza likes this.
  5. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Exactly. it's not the players being signed that would be blamed for (or actually doing) the penny pinching would it? .

Chewbazza likes this.
  6. redbj

If that's ALL we signed, then those knives might be justified.

Too much pressure for ones so inexperienced.

I do maintain, the forums would have discussed it in a respectful manner FOR THE MAIN.

rab likes this.
  7. redbj

So you would have been happy with Keita and Mbappe only last summer?

Again, I maintain, I still think the conversation would have been JUSTIFIED and respectful.

8. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

Please link him into here, i've been fearing the worse for a while.

legalalien and Kopstar like this.
  9. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Were Gini and Mane the only signings last summer?

Chewbazza likes this.
  10. Klopptinho

Klopptinho Well-Known Member

it is the over reaction by some on here that come out of the woodwork when not everything is looking rosy . personally i would have been intrigued with those signings because of Klopps reputation for bringing through these relatively unknown players . some people are not balanced in their rationale and cannot wait to type anti FSG things on this forum . there are those that can have an healthy debate and listen to other peoples opinions and they are mainly the regular everyday posters - IMO we have some posters on here that do not support Liverpool Fc and do their best to troll and that is where the "over reaction" is based .

redfanman likes this.
  11. redbj

What's the point in this?

The discussion has run.

Whether we signed only mbappe, mbappe plus others or Lionel Messi, the situation and mood changes on the forum, but in my mind, the players will be given a fair go, and the owners judged accordingly.

We are at positive net spend for Klopps time here, and that's been discussed respectfully over the last 18 months.

Signing or not signing the two specific players would (imho) not have seen the place spiral into a fume.

I really don't know what's so hard to understand here....basically, anyway you WANT to try and trip me up, is irrelevant, the basic overriding arc is, I think, for the most, the situation, and it's various possible outcomes, are generally discussed on these forums with respect and in good manner.

12. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

Saw in the twitter thread AOC is about to tell Arsenal he wants to move. I'd welcome him at LFC as his versatility would be great to have. AOC and Salah would add great depth and options to midfield (Salah by allowing us to play Coutinho in the #8 spot).

Lostmyfunk 3421 likes this.
  13. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

I think you are missing the point, it actually almost seems on purpose because it's shows you were wrong.

Last summer Mbappe and Keita were looked as alternatives in the roles we bought Gini and Mane in. If we'd got them it would have been for around 35 million instead of the 60 million we spent.

As it was last summer we had plenty of posts on here moaning about Gini and Mane not being proven enough, pretty sure the usual complaints of signing midtable mediocrity were made. There was also significant fume over us not spending much net.

Now, as Rab and others have tried to point out, that fume WOULD have been bigger! However it's now looking, in hindsight, that they actually would have been great signings if we'd successfully made them last summer.

Do you really think the fume that was here and did exist with a number of posters over signing Mane and Gini wouldn't have been greater and from even more posters if it had of been Keita from the Austrian League (where Wisdom just did really well) and Mbappe yet to break through at Monaco?

Chewbazza likes this.
  14. Lostmyfunk 3421

Lostmyfunk 3421 Standing on the verge of getting it on

I also think he'd do well for us. If he can stay fit and injury free. Didn't see him much last year?
    Is he still quick as before? Certainly got the upper body strength and has always impressed me with his running and tracking back.

If we signed him and Salah I'd be very happy. Wendy and vvd later on would be good transfer window. Then just go mad and buy Dortmund's main man up top or Mbappe. Love that.

15. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

alright mate... dropped you a PM... cheers.

redfanman likes this.
  16. redbj

It's funny becuase this very exchange proves my point.

We've all disagreed in a respectful manner.

You can try reigniting this all you like. I'm just defending the forums...I honestly don't think there was a lot of 'fume' around any transfers....

If I can throw an insult in...which is a bit mischievous of me....maybe you guys only notice the fumes becuase you skim past the posts that are longer than two sentences?...so maybe you guys ARE the problem you allude to, your very post is kinda evidence of this, as you've just read the first line and AGAIN, banged on about a specific piece of transfer business....stop it red.....sorry....

If there was any real fume, it was around our failure to buy ANYONE (MG aside for obvs reasons) during the past two winter windows, and even then, after the fume came healthy debate.

As I said before, maybe I'm just guilty of rating the forums.

17. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

Maybe you should go back to what was being said around the time of the Gini and Mane deals and revisit them. But even if you don't do that in your own post you admit there was displeasure over how much we did or didn't spend. Now the scenario being discussed was Keita and Mbappe who would have been cheaper than Gini and Mane by at least 25 million if we'd landed them so the agro you admit existed would have been worse yes? Even though both turned out to be cracking players if those were what we signed there would have been a lot of dissatisfaction which you admit to. So why are you arguing against Rab over it when that was all that was said?

Chewbazza and redfanman like this.
  18. redbj

Becuase I'm an arsehole

19. Lostmyfunk 3421

F#### I'm bored. Any rumours..I'd pretty much take any player in the top 2 divisions of any of the top leagues. I wish I liked cricket or rugby on weekend's like these...watching Harry Potter...yep. it's come to that. I knew I saved it for a reason all those years ago.

Think I'll go through the Lucas player thread next. Always a chuckle and takes a while.

Alright Now and Livvy like this.
  20. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

I'm gonna post an unreliable rumour. I know it's not the done thing around here but I'm not one to conform.. The French press report we are interested in Lemar.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  21. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Got some good tunes but unfortunately on the slide now.:-)

22. SirBillShankly

You've lost me Jonesy :think:

23. RedSeven

RedSeven On the one road Valued Member

I wasn't a fan when he went solo

treboeth and Scott Jones like this.
  24. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

My Mrs used to like a singer called Lemar and i didn't,good to know he's not that famous though.

Klopptinho and treboeth like this.
  25. RedSeven

RedSeven On the one road Valued Member

I was thinking of the other one,the one with the L instead of the r at the end but i remember that one toolol

treboeth likes this.
  26. SirBillShankly

So, anybody know the footballer Lemar and is this realistic with the almost certain arrival of Salah?

Please don't answer Jonesy, I've had enough of your nonsense :well done:

27. costared

costared TIA Reserve Team

I think his name means The Sea in Spanish :-)
    For what it is worth which is not a lot.

28. Lostmyfunk 3421

Beat me to it, Sir Scott. Very good....I'd take a Lemar over Leroy in the engine room..still.got that bouncer tough guy image, but more sensitive deep down I feel maybe more expressive overall...as long it doesn't end up being radio 1 DJ Mark Lemar. I'd hit him if could hurt him through radio waves.

Yeah, Costa..Nice Pizza option too

Scott Jones likes this.
  29. Makati Red

Makati Red Banned Users

So potentially if we dont get VVD our first choice targets are

Koulibaly
    Keita
    PEA
    Salah

Has anybody at LFC actually stopped for a minute to see what they all have in common and what huge problems that would cause us if we got our first choice targets

30. MarkMcC

MarkMcC TIA Squad Member

The letter "a"?