The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Or Lemar is now more likely to go somewhere else. This club quite often does the "Not really interested anymore" petulant crap just before the player signs with someone else. If I was Lemar, no affinity to LFC and apparently held off a move to Arsenal who clearly wanted him for LFC who seemed to..... Only for LFC to then not come back during Jan due to doubts about his worth. And other clubs still showing interest at that price? Can imagine he's no longer as keen on us.
Or we're confident at £90m no one will pay it so are waiting for a more reasonable price.

Dave-D

The Max Meyer talk is interesting. Being on a free I can see Arsenal, Spurs and ourselves being interested.

He's been linked with all three the last few years.

I totally forgot he was a free at the end of the season. Wasn’t he being touted as a better young player than Draxler?

The Max Meyer talk is interesting. Being on a free I can see Arsenal, Spurs and ourselves being interested.

been playing in a deeper role lately too--almost as a de facto DM

the other link from the twitter thread is ndidi. klopp's said he isn't interested in destroyer types but i do remember an allusion to our alleged interest in mahrez as a 'trojan horse'

Since being moved deeper (no.6) he's massively pushed on.. Was touted as one of the best young German players a few years ago as well. Would be a fantastic replacement for Milner in the center of the park.

Zinedine Biscan

Trust in Klopp
Some very interesting names coming up at the moment. Would be pretty happy with Keita, Ndidi and Meyer arriving in the summer to help rebuild our midfield.

Can probably off (and could be improved on in any case), Lallana good but too injury-prone to have to rely on, Gini needs to be bumped down to a squad role and Henderson... well, he's not having a great season and is another one injured too regularly really. I'd keep all the above except Can (but could certainly see a case for selling Gini), and having 6 good players for 3 positions doesn't sound excessive, particularly with Lallana's and Hendo's fitness issues taken into account.

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
I like Ndidi a lot but I'm not sure that he's the kind of midfielder Klopp would like to have in his side, he's more of an Arsenal signing to me (no wonder Wenger was interested in signing him - but I'm not sure why he didn't follow up on his interest). He's extremely strong, excellent defensively and in the air, decent in terms of technique - but isn't the kind of signing who would help control the tempo of the game, at least not yet. At almost 60 million pounds, he'd certainly be overpriced by at least 20 millions, in my opinion.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Valued Member
I like Ndidi a lot but I'm not sure that he's the kind of midfielder Klopp would like to have in his side, he's more of an Arsenal signing to me (no wonder Wenger was interested in signing him - but I'm not sure why he didn't follow up on his interest). He's extremely strong, excellent defensively and in the air, decent in terms of technique - but isn't the kind of signing who would help control the tempo of the game, at least not yet. At almost 60 million pounds, he'd certainly be overpriced by at least 20 millions, in my opinion.
When was Wenger interested? If it was this window, then it's probably funds - there was talk that the delay with PEA and Evans was down to cash and that he had to free some up.

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
When was Wenger interested? If it was this window, then it's probably funds - there was talk that the delay with PEA and Evans was down to cash and that he had to free some up.
I think it was January last year, I think he was linked by pretty reliable journos (perhaps Jeremy Wilson or that Ornstein guy). Struck me as his or Mourinho's type of signing (their best football came with dominant defensive midfielders, rather than those with sublime technical ability) but he didn't follow up on early interest.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Valued Member
I think it was January last year, I think he was linked by pretty reliable journos (perhaps Jeremy Wilson or that Ornstein guy). Struck me as his or Mourinho's type of signing (their best football came with dominant defensive midfielders, rather than those with sublime technical ability) but he didn't follow up on early interest.
Oddly Wenger doesn't seem to buy those players anymore, considering he had so much success with them.

vjcpatriot

I like Bailey. Loads of pace and creativity from the left wing. Can he at times play a #10 role more centrally though?

Also how high is his asking price?

GermanRed

I like Bailey. Loads of pace and creativity from the left wing. Can he at times play a #10 role more centrally though?

Joined Leverkusen in January 17. Contract until 2022. Probably the best Bundesliga player who’s not playing for Bayern. Can see him stay at Leverkusen if they reach the CL. If they miss out and he can keep his form expect a price in the Keita region plus the annual market increase.

SirBillShankly

Eager to drive Can to the airport.

Why not just sign and play him as our first choice left winger instead of Mane? Mane can play a bit less on the left then, he is noticeably better on the right.

Don't know about how much he would cost but you would imagine he'd be cheaper than Lemar or Pulisic.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on the report of Alisson signing a new contract with a high release fee? If so, makes me think he's not interested in Liverpool. Otherwise, why sign a new contract to only get paid more for a few months if that would keep you from moving where you'd like to go (or at least lower the chances). Now, maybe his new contract came with a signing bonus and he'll get that money then hope one of the big boys with pony up? Just thought it was a bad sign. Haven't seen this discussed yet and figured I'd get the ball rolling.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Valued Member
Any thoughts on the report of Alisson signing a new contract with a high release fee? If so, makes me think he's not interested in Liverpool. Otherwise, why sign a new contract to only get paid more for a few months if that would keep you from moving where you'd like to go (or at least lower the chances). Now, maybe his new contract came with a signing bonus and he'll get that money then hope one of the big boys with pony up? Just thought it was a bad sign. Haven't seen this discussed yet and figured I'd get the ball rolling.
Haven't seen the release fee. Don't think it matters. If the club really feel he is worth that amount they wouldn't accept lower. If they need to sell they can still accept lower.

Players often do this as a gesture to the club who gave them the chance on the big stage. They don't want the club shafted so if they get a clause which is reasonable it works for both parties.

Not sure where to post this thought, but I just have the feeling that last night's performance was a tipping point of sorts. We look like an outfit on the up, playing an attractive style of football, with a charismatic top-shelf manager who is proving his ability to train up talent. The beaming smiles on the players' faces (of course Bobby Dazzler's smile being the brightest of all) just advertises the joy these players are feeling. For the last several years, it has been difficult to attract world class talent because we haven't been able to offer CL football on a consistent basis, or show that we are competitive in that competition when we are in it. I think last night was a powerful subliminal message to players around the world that the times, they are a changin'. We can compete on the highest level now and not just compete, but dominate. The sleeping giant is awakening. We might not have oil money or London, but we have history, tradition, and an exciting brand of football. I expect the level of talent we will be linked with this summer will be the highest we've seen in many a year. And the best part is, we're pretty great now, so we can afford to be choosy. Happy days.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
@Hoosier Red Fan, I am about to rain on your parade. We are always seen and deemed as one of the big boys around Europe, that has not changed just because we beat Porto. No. We are not the preferred destination just because we are no longer the top 3 richest club in England, we are not being looked at not because we cannot give them Champs League, this is a bloody myth, CIty, United, Arsenal and Chelsea all seemed to be able to bring in expensive stars when they don't have Champs League. It all boils down to money first, then manager and then being competitive, lastly location. Just because we spunk £75m on Van Dijk doesn't make us a big spender without having to worry about balancing our books.

We have not been able to attract big star players back then because we never even bothered to scout them, or we are not willing to pay for their wages, top it off we don't have a manager they want to play for. We are already in the ascending since we finished as a loser in the Europa League finals. Not this game, this game show case one thing - Portuguese football is shit.

Maria

@Hoosier Red Fan, I am about to rain on your parade. We are always seen and deemed as one of the big boys around Europe, that has not changed just because we beat Porto. No. We are not the preferred destination just because we are no longer the top 3 richest club in England, we are not being looked at not because we cannot give them Champs League, this is a bloody myth, CIty, United, Arsenal and Chelsea all seemed to be able to bring in expensive stars when they don't have Champs League. It all boils down to money first, then manager and then being competitive, lastly location. Just because we spunk £75m on Van Dijk doesn't make us a big spender without having to worry about balancing our books.

We have not been able to attract big star players back then because we never even bothered to scout them, or we are not willing to pay for their wages, top it off we don't have a manager they want to play for. We are already in the ascending since we finished as a loser in the Europa League finals. Not this game, this game show case one thing - Portuguese football is shit.
Aww, come on Eddie, Porto were not ano easy team, they are 2 times champions league winners and are always in champion's league every season. We have a manager now who will attract big names. VVD turned down a move to Man City and Guardiola to come to LFC. Also, Guardiola wanted Keita, we got him first. We are moving in the right direction.

ETA: Guardiola wanted Kornmeyer and Nemmer at Man City but Klopp got them to come to LFC.

Last edited:

Phil123

The portuguese football isn't shit, Benfica and Porto made damage all over Europe in the past years, Benfica had a terrible European campaign this year, but in the past years they looked good, so as Porto, it's certain that the portuguese football isn't that big of a competition but reaching the quarter finals it's pretty good and Benfica was there various times, what doesn't help them is the fact that they are selling clubs, they feed the big sharks all over Europe, look at Ederson, Lindelof, André Silva, Nelson Semedo, David Luiz, Oblak, Matic, Di Maria and others, all of this are players that came from the portuguese league, and it's a fact that being selling clubs doesn't help them that much to stay competitive in Europe.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
@lfc.eddie, Monaco and Leipzig would probably disagree with your last sentence. Unless you think that French and German football is shit too... ;-)
Yes I do consider French League pretty shit too and Bundesliga ain't that much better either. PSG struggled to crack Real Madrid open, and they are about to run away with their league title. That's a Spanish giants who struggled in their own league this season.
The portuguese football isn't shit, Benfica and Porto made damage all over Europe in the past years, Benfica had a terrible European campaign this year, but in the past years they looked good, so as Porto, it's certain that the portuguese football isn't that big of a competition but reaching the quarter finals it's pretty good and Benfica was there various times, what doesn't help them is the fact that they are selling clubs, they feed the big sharks all over Europe, look at Ederson, Lindelof, André Silva, Nelson Semedo, David Luiz, Oblak, Matic, Di Maria and others, all of this are players that came from the portuguese league, and it's a fact that being selling clubs doesn't help them that much to stay competitive in Europe.
Reaching quarters in their group isn't difficult unless you comparing Rodgers team to them (we were pretty shit in that season too when we were in Champs League), if they were to play in the group where they had Spurs and Real, they be fucked, or Chelsea, Roma, Atletico group, don't think they will make it, or even in our group. They are also running away with the title, but they aren't anywhere near the quality to even trouble our defence in a sustainable period of time in the match. Couple of early chances and that's it. Sevilla is a much better team than them and they aren't even top 5 in La Liga. Portuguese league is shit.. really.