The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Kopstar

★★★★★
Disagree that he couldn’t walk into LFC squad. Wijnaldum isn’t a #6 and Lallana is corked. Milner may be in excellent shape but likely only has another 12-24 months left and who knows if Oxlade will recover?

Klopp is building for future and if you look at 2019/2020 we would likely have sold Wijnaldum in the 4th year of contract. Milner possibly retired, Lallana sold. Lots of holes to be filled and not a lot of prospects in the u23 ready to move into that area of the pitch
He'd definitely walk into the squad but I agree with Nikola that he wouldn't be guaranteed to walk into the first XI.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
I thought I'd read that Rabiot was unhappy with Emery's playing of him as a DM, as he prefers to be involved higher up the pitch?

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Disagree that he couldn’t walk into LFC squad. Wijnaldum isn’t a #6 and Lallana is corked. Milner may be in excellent shape but likely only has another 12-24 months left and who knows if Oxlade will recover?

Klopp is building for future and if you look at 2019/2020 we would likely have sold Wijnaldum in the 4th year of contract. Milner possibly retired, Lallana sold. Lots of holes to be filled and not a lot of prospects in the u23 ready to move into that area of the pitch
Gini is the absolute squad player.. Can play so many positions to a high level.. He may not be elite in any specific position but having his versatility and experience is what title winning squads are built around. I highly doubt Klopp would sell him.

Rabiot would be fantastic though he is better than Henderson (even though it pains me to say so), I'd think Milner is the most likely to get vastly reduced gametime or move to Leeds (if they got promoted) so he could continue being a 1st team player.

A midfield of;

#6 - Fabinho / Henderson / Gini
#8 - Keita / Rabiot / Gini
#10 - Oxlade / Lallana (to be replaced - Fekir/Maddison etc.)

Is a thing of beauty.

Anfield rd Dreamer

He'd definitely walk into the squad but I agree with Nikola that he wouldn't be guaranteed to walk into the first XI.
Are any of our Cms at the moment? Can make arguments for Henderson, Keita and Fabinho but not sure those three would be our starting CM and Henderson has only just started and Fabinho hasn't been brought in yet. Think Rabiot is on a par with them 3 as well.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Gini is the absolute squad player.. Can play so many positions to a high level.. He may not be elite in any specific position but having his versatility and experience is what title winning squads are built around. I highly doubt Klopp would sell him.

Rabiot would be fantastic though he is better than Henderson (even though it pains me to say so), I'd think Milner is the most likely to get vastly reduced gametime or move to Leeds (if they got promoted) so he could continue being a 1st team player.

A midfield of;

#6 - Fabinho / Henderson / Gini
#8 - Keita / Rabiot / Gini
#10 - Oxlade / Lallana (to be replaced - Fekir/Maddison etc.)

Is a thing of beauty.

Think we missed our chance with Maddison who played well against us last week but there will be others. The way Ejaria is improving at Rangers he could come into contention.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Are any of our Cms at the moment? Can make arguments for Henderson, Keita and Fabinho but not sure those three would be our starting CM and Henderson has only just started and Fabinho hasn't been brought in yet. Think Rabiot is on a par with them 3 as well.
Agree, I don't think any of our CMs are guaranteed starters currently. Once they're all fully up to speed though I'd expect Keita will be but none of the others.

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin

I was referring to the starting XI, not the squad. He'd definitely be a valued member of this or any squad in European football but he's not quite starting XI material for top clubs. I'm not sure about his story with PSG, maybe he's looking for more money and maybe he's looking to be the deepest of three midfielders (Verratti is the first name on the teamsheet there anyway, so maybe Rabiot doesn't feel as valued - and there's his refusal to be on standby list of French national team to be taken into account as well, suggesting that he thinks highly of his ability).

That said, I don't think Rabiot is disciplined enough to play as a no. 6 in PL, not "agile" enough, both mentally and physically, to be a no. 8, not to mention the lack of goals and assists in his game. I think he should look to become a no. 6 in the future, he has nice build and exquisite technical ability but I don't think he's someone who would worry opponent's defences. I do hope Liverpool manage to sign him, though, his potential is vast and he seems to like the club a lot. However, I'm pretty sure that it would require Klopp to shuffle his pack a bit, Fabinho would be the likely victim due to his versatility, I guess, but I'm still looking at him as the future centre back anyway. :-)

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Think we missed our chance with Maddison who played well against us last week but there will be others. The way Ejaria is improving at Rangers he could come into contention.
I actually disagree, I think we've moved to the point now where we won't take gambles on potential players (excluding youth), we are more than happy to monitor a player stepping up and if they take that step (which a lot fail to do so) we will buy them for a premium. We heavily scouted Maddison, even before he went to Norwich (I think we bid for him at that time and he rejected us wanting guaranteed 1st team gametime) Now gambling for a few mil when he is 18/19 is a bit different to gambling with £20mil at 21.. Yet if he continues to progress at Leicester we could be looking at £60mil.. But to buy a proven player in the Premiership (and English) it's good business.

We did it with Mane, we did it with VVD, we did it with Keita. All could have been signed for vastly smaller amounts but with a risk they couldn't step up.

Our squad is hitting levels that we simply don't need wholesale changes every summer, we need to tweak and marginally improve. It's my belief we will go for the right player irrespective of cost, but these dealings will be 1 or 2 potentially a window.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Rabiot is interesting, but he's another one who is still trying to find his best role and consistency. It's quite telling that he missed the French squad last summer (with them even playing a double pivot structure, you'd think by style there's room for him as one of the backups). I think he'd first be viewed as a #8, then potentially pulled deeper. I don't know, we'll see if there's something serious in this, how Fabinho adapts and what's with out other midfielders.

Limiescouse

I thought I'd read that Rabiot was unhappy with Emery's playing of him as a DM, as he prefers to be involved higher up the pitch?
This is literally the third time this has happened, and so my reflex was to again say you've got it the wrong way around, but it turns out you did it right this time :tongue:.

It is part of the oddity of there being so much interest here in us buying him to be our DM. His absence from the french squad this past summer was far more about form than position/role,. but his attitude towards being asked to play deeper that contributed to him missing out. With Veratti and Motta both injured quite frequently, he has played the deeper role quite a lot, but doesnt like it. He felt that is prevented him from making enough of a case that he should be used further forward for France, so he didnt display the best of attitude or application when being asked to play that deeper role for France and subsequently played himself out of the squad.

He is a talent, but none of that even comes close to Klopp going after him, or us bringing him in to play the role he hasnt been thrilled about playing.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
This is literally the third time this has happened, and so my reflex was to again say you've got it the wrong way around, but it turns out you did it right this time :tongue:.

It is part of the oddity of there being so much interest here in us buying him to be our DM. His absence from the french squad this past summer was far more about form than position/role,. but his attitude towards being asked to play deeper that contributed to him missing out. With Veratti and Motta both injured quite frequently, he has played the deeper role quite a lot, but doesnt like it. He felt that is prevented him from making enough of a case that he should be used further forward for France, so he didnt display the best of attitude or application when being asked to play that deeper role for France and subsequently played himself out of the squad.

He is a talent, but none of that even comes close to Klopp going after him, or us bringing him in to play the role he hasnt been thrilled about playing.
I'm pretty sure I've only said it once before and in the same way (I can't remember if you linked an article before or if I just stumbled onto in on the Guardian on somewhere like that, but in what I read it was quite clear he doesn't enjoy playing DM and seemed to blame Emery for his missing out on the France squad), but I agree that it's doubtful we'd bring him in to play DM with that in mind, or that he'd agree to come on that basis.

redfanman

TIA Regular

Bringing back fond memories of Nuri Sahin

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Depends on what happens with Milner and Lallana. And then partially depends on what happens with Ejaria, Woodburn, Jones.

Hendo, Ox, Wij, Keita and Fabinho will remain here for next 3-4 years imho.

cynicaloldgit

Total Member
Interesting post in the Twatter thread, claiming that Rabiot really wanted to join but his demands were too high.

He clearly didn’t want to join that much, then.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Interesting post in the Twatter thread, claiming that Rabiot really wanted to join but his demands were too high.

He clearly didn’t want to join that much, then.
I don't think his demands were that high to be honest. He was apparently asking for €5m a year, slightly lesser than €100K a week, which is lower than what we're paying for Keita, who is on £120K a week. He is now on €60K a week with PSG.
Liverpool’s free midfield target makes PSG contract demand
Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Adrien Rabiot is demanding a wage of €5million season, according to a report.
For a freebie, that isn't too high. We save some cash on transfer fees and could slap hefty buyout clause on him as well.

redfanman

TIA Regular
I don't think his demands were that high to be honest. He was apparently asking for €5m a year, slightly lesser than €100K a week, which is lower than what we're paying for Keita, who is on £120K a week. He is now on €60K a week with PSG.

For a freebie, that isn't too high. We save some cash on transfer fees and could slap hefty buyout clause on him as well.
We increased the wage structure a couple of seasons ago so most of our regular players are on £100k+ now.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We increased the wage structure a couple of seasons ago so most of our regular players are on £100k+ now.
That's the thing, it doesn't make sense when he was asking for a wage that fits perfectly under our structure. Fabinho is already on £130K a week. Unless we didn't want to sign him because his wage demand falls below what we expected him to ask..... now that's going to be the first. lollollol

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Hazard a guess he wanted a big signing on bonus which we weren't prepared to do.

If he loves the clubs as much as he says he does he should have been chomping at the bit to get here and should have been prepared to take whatever we where offering, and I doubt we where offering less than his current deal.

With regard to Lallana, I can see why the club would be looking at moving him on. A mid table club would probably still pay pretty reasonable money for him an with all his injuries he just takes too long to get back up to speed when he returns. When he does get upto to fitness and form he is an outstanding player just so rare we seem him at that level and he seems to get another injury as soon as he gets there.

Wish him well if he does move on.

Perth Red

TIA Youth Team
Mundo Deportivo saying Nacho Monreal or Moreno at the end of their contracts. Seems a bit far-fetched but perhaps will push us to put poor old Alberto up for transfer in January - a small fee is better than no fee!

redfanman

TIA Regular
Mundo Deportivo saying Nacho Monreal or Moreno at the end of their contracts. Seems a bit far-fetched but perhaps will push us to put poor old Alberto up for transfer in January - a small fee is better than no fee!
Not unless the player is pushing to leave. We dont really have the cover for Moreno, and had we wanted to sell i'm sure there would have been mention of that in the summer. More likely we have planned to let him move on next summer, and replace accordingly, or he is close to signing an extension.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers

Liverpool don't do buyout clauses. That said. I agree on the rest.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Is someone slagging off Lallana really a transfer rumour?
How is he slagging him off, with his injuries problems he has proven to be a bit unreliable.

I like Lallana as a player but given his lack of availability the last couple of seasons I can see why it would be something the club would be considering. Think he will be rightly given every chance to regain his fitness and form this season but if he has another season with ongoing issues we may look to move him on next summer.