• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Richard88

Some players do better, some do worse. For every Ings and Lambert you have a Robertson or Shaqiri. Zaha is clearly much more influential than Ings and Lambert ever were, so Shaqiri is probably the best comparison.

I wouldn't spunk that much on him either but he's definitely a better player than you're giving him credit for, without him Palace would be playing Championship football for sure.
Good point about Robertson and Shaqiri. Personally I was hugely in favour of signing Robertson, more so for his natural tendency to always look for either a run or a quick one-two in transition than his defending. Shaqiri I wasn't too fussed with, but it was clearly a worthwhile punt given the low price relative to market value.

That said, my point wasn't necessarily that the statement that "the player will do better with better players around him" is always wrong; rather, that it isn't always true, which you pointed out as well. :)

Limiescouse

Trent said Zaha is the hardest player hes had to play against 1 v 1. Hes played against a few good unsas well.
I can believe that. However, it is also important to understand that there isn't perfect alignment between players who actually are dangerous and players who give the fullbacks hell. Football is loaded with players who are hell to play against a hell to play with.

Richard88

So apparently Ramsey definitely leaving the arse on a free,snap him up.
You'd have to think that signing Ramsey would spell the end of Lallana and/or Milner at the club (assuming Ox recovers well and Keita beds in).

-------------- Fabinho ---------------
------------- Henderson -------------

--- Wijnaldum -------- Keita ---------
---- Ramsey ---------- Ox -----------
----- Milner ---------- Lallana --------
----- Shaqiri --------------------------

Ramsey is homegrown though so would be a good like-for-like replacement in that regard.

That said, he'll turn 28 in December, and given that Klopp likes to give his new midfield signings several months to settle and learn the system, that would mean that if Ramsey were to join Liverpool he'd already be turning 29 by the time he'd have settled and learned Klopp's system (i.e. around December 2019). Needless to say, replacing a 30/31 year old Lallana with a 28/29 year old with a long injury record seems kinda unlikely given the clubs recent transfer dealings.

I wouldn't really complain if he were signed, but the club really should be prioritising signings in the 21-23 age bracket going forwards, instead of aging players like Ramsey.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
You'd have to think that signing Ramsey would spell the end of Lallana and/or Milner at the club (assuming Ox recovers well and Keita beds in).

-------------- Fabinho ---------------
------------- Henderson -------------

--- Wijnaldum -------- Keita ---------
---- Ramsey ---------- Ox -----------
----- Milner ---------- Lallana --------
----- Shaqiri --------------------------

Ramsey is homegrown though so would be a good like-for-like replacement in that regard.

That said, he'll turn 28 in December, and given that Klopp likes to give his new midfield signings several months to settle and learn the system, that would mean that if Ramsey were to join Liverpool he'd already be turning 29 by the time he'd have settled and learned Klopp's system (i.e. around December 2019). Needless to say, replacing a 30/31 year old Lallana with a 28/29 year old with a long injury record seems kinda unlikely given the clubs recent transfer dealings.
Klopp didn't waste time chucking Ox in the team quite quickly so maybe Ramsey wouldn't necessarily take long to bed in,but i agree it would be a signal of Lallana leaving with him being surplus to requirements

GaryBarlow99

Milner isn't going anywhere. He is a brilliant player, versatile, a great vice captain and a winner. Unless he asks to leave he will be here next season. No way Klopp sells him.

Coddite84

Rumors in Swedish media (Aftonbladet) regarding Liverpool and John Guidetti. The rumors concern Liverpool and Tottenham.

This is what Guidetti says to the reporter:
– They are amazing clubs and Premier League is one of the best leagues in the world. Off course it is a tempting thought. But I trust my agent. I don't know anything right now. I won't know until Friday.
Hope this is not true Guidetti is nowhere good enough to play for Liverpool. I saw him play for Celtic and he was average at best. Not Liverpool class.

Coddite84

Would love us to sign Maguire to play alongside VVD and also Vardy to give us another option up front. I think those signings could win us the league!

Coddite84

Maguire,what that big dopey expensive sack of shit and Steptoe,errr fuck that.
Maguire is good with the ball at his feet and a threat at set pieces... he is better than Lovren! And Vardy scores poachers goals like Fowler used to and that would turn draws into wins and he has a knack of scoring against City too.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
Maguire is good with the ball at his feet and a threat at set pieces... he is better than Lovren! And Vardy scores poachers goals like Fowler used to and that would turn draws into wins and he has a knack of scoring against City too.
I wouldn't buy Maguire as he'd get in the way of Gomez and his progression,we don't need to spend that kind of money for a CB and Vardy is just a quick fix so i don't see the point.

Red over the water

Maguire and Vardy are decent players, but both a clear no for me. There’s no value there. For the price they would want for Maguire we get someone who is not as good as Gomez to partner VVD? Vardy would be a useful back up, potentially, but would he want that, and how much would they want for him? Prem teams have money and if it’s a player under contract they don’t want to lose, the price is way too inflated. Besides, Sturridge is doing very well as the senior striker back up, and Solanke is waiting in the wings (he may or may not be good enough, but there’s still time) and Brewster needs some sort of path to the fringes of the first team, and presumably that’s what we sold to him when he signed a deal.

Maguire and Vardy are decent players, no doubt about that, but not for us at this time.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
We don't have a definite place which needs filling in the first 11. A maybe shout for a Fekir type AM/number 10. Most of the needs are to improve the squad. As @ILLOK said somewhere we should be looking at picking up more Shaq kind of signings rather than splash cash big. Ryan Fraser (last year on contract) rather than Pulisic or vardy or zaha kind of deals. Any one else from the weak teams who is doing great there and can come here and do a job in the squad and is a bit cheap?

soberphobia

We don't have a definite place which needs filling in the first 11. A maybe shout for a Fekir type AM/number 10. Most of the needs are to improve the squad. As @ILLOK said somewhere we should be looking at picking up more Shaq kind of signings rather than splash cash big. Ryan Fraser (last year on contract) rather than Pulisic or vardy or zaha kind of deals. Any one else from the weak teams who is doing great there and can come here and do a job in the squad and is a bit cheap?
I think there is still room for a top shelf or developing 10. I still wish we had signed Fekir as our squad would be stronger. Think if Pulisic has a good season and shows development we will be in for him. He looks a natural fit for this squad the question only is he good enough?

Richard88

Klopp didn't waste time chucking Ox in the team quite quickly so maybe Ramsey wouldn't necessarily take long to bed in,but i agree it would be a signal of Lallana leaving with him being surplus to requirements
I may be wrong, but I think Klopp was forced to play Ox earlier than he would have liked, due to several injuries to other midfield options. Our midfield wasn't as deep as it is now.

Whatever the case, in the first few months of last season many fans were still adamant that Ox was a poor signing. It wasn't until the turn of the year that he started showing good form and started convincing fans that he was an excellent signing.

Richard88

Milner isn't going anywhere. He is a brilliant player, versatile, a great vice captain and a winner. Unless he asks to leave he will be here next season. No way Klopp sells him.
I agree. He's on a contract until 2020 and you'd think that Klopp would be delighted to keep him around in the squad until then - if not longer. He's the perfect squad player.

Richard88

Would love us to sign Maguire to play alongside VVD and also Vardy to give us another option up front. I think those signings could win us the league!
Maguire would get eaten alive playing a high line.

If there's any CB I'd want to consider from Leicester it's their new 22 year old Turkish CB that they signed from Freiburg this summer, Caglar Soyuncu. He's strong on the ball, extremely aggressive/front-foot, and strong aerially (in terms of playing style). He obviously still needs to prove himself in the PL (he had his first start last weekend), but I wouldn't be surprised if he made a name for himself. The ship has probably sailed with regards to getting him on a reasonable fee though as the usual "PL tax" will probably apply if and when he moves on from Leicester.

Coddite84

Great shout I like Fekir and he wants to come to us. He could be the key to unlocking tight games.

Red over the water

My tuppence worth on Milner is you have to look at it one season at a time at this stage. So far this season he has been invaluable. His experience and hard work have helped us with an excellent start, and his presence in the side has provided some cover for the new midfielders to not have to perform right away, while they adjust to a new league and what Klopp wants.

At some point you would have to think Fabinho and Keita will play more often than not. Let’s imagine that’s what happens in the second half of the season. Where does that leave Milner? I would suggest as a valuable squad member, but at that point on the fringes of the team. Maybe he will take that, or maybe he will want to play more and he will move on? It’s hard to say, but as an example, if Leeds get promoted you could understand the symmetry of him wanting to go there to bookend his career at his home town club.

Then there is Old Father Time. At the moment Milner is an athletic freak of nature, running far and putting in more sprints than most younger midfielders. If that continues the case for keeping him longer grows stronger. But I’m sure the sports scientists on the back room staff are monitoring that sort of thing closely. Once you turn a corner in your mid 30s (or whenever that happens) there’s no coming back, and the athletic gifts you once relied upon to perform at an elite level start to fade. I’m not suggesting that Milner is there, as he’s still going strong - very strong, in fact. But I’m certain it is being monitored closely.

All that is to say, top fella, top pro, valuable first team man and will probably become more of a squad man as the season progresses... and we’ll see how we go.

My best guess is one more year after this one at Liverpool, but who knows.

Coddite84

My tuppence worth on Milner is you have to look at it one season at a time at this stage. So far this season he has been invaluable. His experience and hard work have helped us with an excellent start, and his presence in the side has provided some cover for the new midfielders to not have to perform right away, while they adjust to a new league and what Klopp wants.

At some point you would have to think Fabinho and Keita will play more often than not. Let’s imagine that’s what happens in the second half of the season. Where does that leave Milner? I would suggest as a valuable squad member, but at that point on the fringes of the team. Maybe he will take that, or maybe he will want to play more and he will move on? It’s hard to say, but as an example, if Leeds get promoted you could understand the symmetry of him wanting to go there to bookend his career at his home town club.

Then there is Old Father Time. At the moment Milner is an athletic freak of nature, running far and putting in more sprints than most younger midfielders. If that continues the case for keeping him longer grows stronger. But I’m sure the sports scientists on the back room staff are monitoring that sort of thing closely. Once you turn a corner in your mid 30s (or whenever that happens) there’s no coming back, and the athletic gifts you once relied upon to perform at an elite level start to fade. I’m not suggesting that Milner is there, as he’s still going strong - very strong, in fact. But I’m certain it is being monitored closely.

All that is to say, top fella, top pro, valuable first team man and will probably become more of a squad man as the season progresses... and we’ll see how we go.

My best guess is one more year after this one at Liverpool, but who knows.
I Couldn't agree More Milner has been brilliant all season and has been a true team player much like Kuyt was when he was with us. I think in time Keita and Fabinho will replace Milner and Henderson and Milner may stay 1 more year. The key now is to identify back up for Keita and Fabinho into the future as strength and depth is the key. We must push on in January and take City all the way in the league. I'm confident we will push on in UCL like last season but we need to push on both fronts. If we can only make 1 signing in Jan I'd take Fekir as he can push us over the line.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I think there is still room for a top shelf or developing 10. I still wish we had signed Fekir as our squad would be stronger. Think if Pulisic has a good season and shows development we will be in for him. He looks a natural fit for this squad the question only is he good enough?
I don't mind us paying top shelf prices, but it should be for top shelf players i.e. not Pulisic at his current level.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
I like the sound of us moving for Jadon Sancho... can't help but feel that his cost would be even higher than Pulisic, though.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
I like the sound of us moving for Jadon Sancho... can't help but feel that his cost would be even higher than Pulisic, though.
Sancho for 60-70 sounds more fine than the same for Pulisic to me. Sancho will leave Pulisic in dust soon.

PS - if this goes south, this is going to haunt me for eternity right? Along the lines of Shelvey will be better than Gerrard or 100 players better and cheaper than DS. Right?

Limiescouse

Sancho for 60-70 sounds more fine than the same for Pulisic to me. Sancho will leave Pulisic in dust soon.
QED

Pulisic is at worst a very good player who plays a vital role in the only German side the other big sides from Europe would have any concern about playing. He has been playing consistently at this level for 3 years and has looked excellent on the international stage as well.

Sancho has played about 4 hours of senior football. But that is who we should focus on because of dreams of how good he may become, and because of that guess work that justifies paying Ronaldo money to land him.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Dortmund won't sell Sancho yet, and I suspect he is currently at the best place for him too and happy staying put for the time being.

Just saw that SSN reporting we aren't interested in Aaron Ramsey.

Richard88

I Couldn't agree More Milner has been brilliant all season and has been a true team player much like Kuyt was when he was with us. I think in time Keita and Fabinho will replace Milner and Henderson and Milner may stay 1 more year. The key now is to identify back up for Keita and Fabinho into the future as strength and depth is the key. We must push on in January and take City all the way in the league. I'm confident we will push on in UCL like last season but we need to push on both fronts. If we can only make 1 signing in Jan I'd take Fekir as he can push us over the line.
This is the core long-term:

-------- Fabinho (25) -------
Ox (25) ---------- Keita (23)

Backed up by:

----- Henderson (28) -------
Wijnaldum (27) ----- Lallana (30)

+ Milner (32) + Grujic (22)

In terms of age profile I'd say that going forwards the way to go is go continue signing players in the 21-23 range (like Keita this summer) to set up continuity and gradually replace Milner and Lallana (and eventually Henderson) as and when they need to be phased out.

By the way, Grujic is still only 22, and was extended for another 5 years recently. That may have been only to protect his value, but it wouldn't surprise me if the plan is for him to eventually take over from Henderson as Fabinho's backup in the squad.

An interesting comparison with Grujic is Nemanja Matic, who at the same age that Grujic is now (22) was on loan from Chelsea to Vitesse, and would later spend 3 seasons at Benfica before being brought back to Chelsea in 2014. Matip only became a part of the first team at age 26-27. Obviously it would be a really long time until Grujic is 26-27 so you'd certainly hope Grujic would break through faster than that, but it's worth putting into perspective how young Grujic relative to another player similar in style to him. Grujic does have the physical skills and athleticism, the only thing really lacking is discipline and tactical understanding, but that may be something that develops with time.