The Unreliable Rumours Thread

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit
I like the sound of us moving for Jadon Sancho... can't help but feel that his cost would be even higher than Pulisic, though.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
I like the sound of us moving for Jadon Sancho... can't help but feel that his cost would be even higher than Pulisic, though.
Sancho for 60-70 sounds more fine than the same for Pulisic to me. Sancho will leave Pulisic in dust soon.

PS - if this goes south, this is going to haunt me for eternity right? Along the lines of Shelvey will be better than Gerrard or 100 players better and cheaper than DS. Right?

Limiescouse

Sancho for 60-70 sounds more fine than the same for Pulisic to me. Sancho will leave Pulisic in dust soon.
QED

Pulisic is at worst a very good player who plays a vital role in the only German side the other big sides from Europe would have any concern about playing. He has been playing consistently at this level for 3 years and has looked excellent on the international stage as well.

Sancho has played about 4 hours of senior football. But that is who we should focus on because of dreams of how good he may become, and because of that guess work that justifies paying Ronaldo money to land him.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Dortmund won't sell Sancho yet, and I suspect he is currently at the best place for him too and happy staying put for the time being.

Just saw that SSN reporting we aren't interested in Aaron Ramsey.

Richard88

I Couldn't agree More Milner has been brilliant all season and has been a true team player much like Kuyt was when he was with us. I think in time Keita and Fabinho will replace Milner and Henderson and Milner may stay 1 more year. The key now is to identify back up for Keita and Fabinho into the future as strength and depth is the key. We must push on in January and take City all the way in the league. I'm confident we will push on in UCL like last season but we need to push on both fronts. If we can only make 1 signing in Jan I'd take Fekir as he can push us over the line.
This is the core long-term:

-------- Fabinho (25) -------
Ox (25) ---------- Keita (23)

Backed up by:

----- Henderson (28) -------
Wijnaldum (27) ----- Lallana (30)

+ Milner (32) + Grujic (22)

In terms of age profile I'd say that going forwards the way to go is go continue signing players in the 21-23 range (like Keita this summer) to set up continuity and gradually replace Milner and Lallana (and eventually Henderson) as and when they need to be phased out.

By the way, Grujic is still only 22, and was extended for another 5 years recently. That may have been only to protect his value, but it wouldn't surprise me if the plan is for him to eventually take over from Henderson as Fabinho's backup in the squad.

An interesting comparison with Grujic is Nemanja Matic, who at the same age that Grujic is now (22) was on loan from Chelsea to Vitesse, and would later spend 3 seasons at Benfica before being brought back to Chelsea in 2014. Matip only became a part of the first team at age 26-27. Obviously it would be a really long time until Grujic is 26-27 so you'd certainly hope Grujic would break through faster than that, but it's worth putting into perspective how young Grujic relative to another player similar in style to him. Grujic does have the physical skills and athleticism, the only thing really lacking is discipline and tactical understanding, but that may be something that develops with time.

Anfield rd Dreamer

This is the core long-term:

-------- Fabinho (25) -------
Ox (25) ---------- Keita (23)

Backed up by:

----- Henderson (28) -------
Wijnaldum (27) ----- Lallana (30)

+ Milner (32) + Grujic (22)

In terms of age profile I'd say that going forwards the way to go is go continue signing players in the 21-23 range (like Keita this summer) to set up continuity and gradually replace Milner and Lallana (and eventually Henderson) as and when they need to be phased out.

By the way, Grujic is still only 22, and was extended for another 5 years recently. That may have been only to protect his value, but it wouldn't surprise me if the plan is for him to eventually take over from Henderson as Fabinho's backup in the squad.

An interesting comparison with Grujic is Nemanja Matic, who at the same age that Grujic is now (22) was on loan from Chelsea to Vitesse, and would later spend 3 seasons at Benfica before being brought back to Chelsea in 2014. Matip only became a part of the first team at age 26-27. Obviously it would be a really long time until Grujic is 26-27 so you'd certainly hope Grujic would break through faster than that, but it's worth putting into perspective how young Grujic relative to another player similar in style to him. Grujic does have the physical skills and athleticism, the only thing really lacking is discipline and tactical understanding, but that may be something that develops with time.
The Matip situation would have been delayed because Chelsea sold him and had to buy him back. He had to spend an extra year or two developing to the stage that Chelsea would go back in with a (at the time) big money move as a starter. I agree we are probably looking/hoping for Grujic to develop enough to be a good, solid, back-up. That way we only need to wait maybe 1 to 3 seasons after this one (covered within his current deal) depending on his development (24/25 years old maybe) and Henderson's mid term future (32/33 years old?). And we would still own him unlike Chelsea having to buy Matip back.

C

Caradoc

The Matip situation would have been delayed because Chelsea sold him and had to buy him back. He had to spend an extra year or two developing to the stage that Chelsea would go back in with a (at the time) big money move as a starter. I agree we are probably looking/hoping for Grujic to develop enough to be a good, solid, back-up. That way we only need to wait maybe 1 to 3 seasons after this one (covered within his current deal) depending on his development (24/25 years old maybe) and Henderson's mid term future (32/33 years old?). And we would still own him unlike Chelsea having to buy Matip back.

Never knew Matip played for Chelsea .......... :think:

...... well, well, well,,,,,,,

...... who’da thunk it ....... ? lol

FGred

What's the news I keep hearing about dembele ?

Barca won't let him leave for anything less than 80m. Is he worth a punt at that price ?
Nah for them to tell him to pack his bags then we can ask for a much lower price or we could initially get him on loan in January?

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
PS - if this goes south, this is going to haunt me for eternity right? Along the lines of Shelvey will be better than Gerrard or 100 players better and cheaper than DS. Right?
Nah, you're alright. Sancho is an exciting talent and you're comparing him to a bloke who is another exciting talent (and to me, still little more despite what American fans say about Pulisic). You're still miles away from comparing a mid-table clogger that shows the occasional flash of decent play to an absolute titan of the game.

Red over the water

Ox was doing really well for us before he got injured. If he comes back at the same level he will add a lot to the team with his powerful running through the middle. It looked like he was finding his shooting boots and I was pleasantly surprised by his leadership when he spoke too. He will be given every chance to get back to his best. I’m not taking that for granted though. Not saying he won’t, but it will be a long way back.

Red over the water

As for Pulisic, good player, but completely agree with the argument that you overpay for young players based on what they might become. He is already good, but not great. Not yet, anyhow.

Maybe the contract situation is a way to get a bit better value, as he’s now within the two year range and if he moves next summer it will be with only one year left, so they might be more willing to deal at the £40-50M range, rather than sillier numbers than that. Still a lot, mind, but more palatable than the £70-80M level you sometimes see bandied about.

We know what we want and we have a great recruitment team and a great plan. I’m chilled whatever way they go on Pulisic. I can see it, but it’s not irresistible to go for him just yet.

Dave-D

On mobile :indifferent:

Have translated it now.
Good luck finding a DM for 24 million lollol
Side note any decent PSG players on the fringe of the team Liverpool could take to help them out financially

AussieLad

TIA Regular
On mobile :indifferent:

Have translated it now.
Good luck finding a DM for 24 million lollol
Side note any decent PSG players on the fringe of the team Liverpool could take to help them out financially
I wouldn't mind if we took Mbappe to help fund their search for a No. 6 lol

In all seriousness though, Draxlar and Rabiot would both be very tempting targets in my opinion. And both could possibly got for a lot less than their value

cynicaloldgit

Total Member
I can’t read it as it’s in french so definitely nothing for me to see lol
You aren’t missing much.

The article is pure speculative twaddle, ending with a very nebulous assertion that they could target Fabinho because he’s bored (their word, not his) at Liverpool. Even if he did want to leave, they only have a budget of €24m. Good luck with that.

Coddite84

Contentious one given the price we would probably have to pay... but do we go for Greelish form Villa? Think long term he is gonna be a top player and he would compliment our attack?

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
lol

PSG finally realizing they can't reach balance in their team without a "younger Motta". They don't have a player like that to provide stability for all the offensive qualities they have. €24m to solve that issue? Good luck.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
lol

PSG finally realizing they can't reach balance in their team without a "younger Motta". They don't have a player like that to provide stability for all the offensive qualities they have. €24m to solve that issue? Good luck.
Maybe that's all they can spend. The FFP regulations and all

Red over the water

Draxler is a good player who would give us depth and slot into the side as needed. Not sure if he’s burned his bridges with Klopp though, as previously we were interested but he followed the $$$.

I would imagine they wanted Fabinho when we swooped, but they had to sort out FFP issues with going for Neymar then Mbappe, and now that Fabinho is at Liverpool and starting slowly (by design, and I’m sure he will be a very good signing) the article reads like PSG have got a friendly journalist to try to begin a destabilization process to put a marker down to try to get Fabinho at some later date, or even swap with €24M adjustment on their end, for any players they don’t want.

It’s a nothing article.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Here's me dreaming. I don't know enough of that Demirbay fella, so I am not going to comment much about his ability. The one thing I would go with is Klopp's interest in him and that's mighty good enough for me. You then have Rabiot whom we now apparently making that "Godfather" like offer that he can't refuse. Then there's Iker Muniain and Aaron Ramsey. All of which only Demirbay is going to cost us £24m. If all comes through the Shankly gate, I can tell you one thing - We will have a midfield that can conquer the whole of Europe in a fraction of a price.

Just imagine 2 midfield of Rabiot and Fabinho. Iker Muniain on the right, Firmino down the middle and Mane on the left side and Salah leading the attack. On the bench we have Demirbay, Ramsey and Wijnaldum backing up those 5 supporting the striker, Sturridge for Salah. I mean, come on! If we don't conquer Europe until 2023, I don't know what will. Don't need that big money Pulisic or Sancho. Don't think we have to spend anymore in 2 more windows if those list of players come in.